2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1430490508' post='11479225']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1430488524' post='11479047']
Really interesting perspective B. Without hesitation, it's a course where you can't be above the hole on many/any. Sounds like you started on the South...what was the back nine? Ironically, they have tried to host a couple of USGA event but because of some of the greens on the East they were denied. There's a certain guy on this site who had something like an 8 foot birdie putt from the side of the hole and the ball rolled off the green. He was particularly ****** off after the unfairness of that green.
[/quote]

If it's unacceptable for USGA events, you have problems.
[/quote]

It was two greens in specific. The par 5 I mentioned was the worst. And BTW, it was me (shockingly) who putted the ball off the green. And when it left the putter face it was moving about a mile every 3 days.

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1430489243' post='11479115']
South/East combo.
[/quote]

Were the fish still jumping on #7 on the south??

Sorry to hear you weren't a fan. A few holes on the South I found myself above the hole and had problems from the rough. Not with the thickness, but that I found bare spots that my ball settled down into with long rough surrounding, fried egg lies in the rough. I don't think I've ever played a bellied wedge from the rough, especially not twice in one round. But I chalked that up to being early in the season. I haven't played the east since 1998 so I can't completely remember what it was like.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1430490967' post='11479283']
South/East combo.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear you weren't a fan. A few holes on the South I found myself above the hole and had problems from the rough. Not with the thickness, but that I found bare spots that my ball settled down into with long rough surrounding, fried egg lies in the rough. I don't think I've ever played a bellied wedge from the rough, especially not twice in one round. But I chalked that up to being early in the season. I haven't played the east since 1998 so I can't completely remember what it was like.
[/quote]

Wow...you're starting to make Lefty my favorite!

I would like to point out that I birdied 8 and 9...of course, I had an 8 on 3...

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1430491164' post='11479309']
South/East combo.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would like to point out that I birdied 8 and 9...of course, I had an 8 on 3...
[/quote]

Unfortunately I didn't see those 2, I just saw the fish. Those are 2 good birdies though.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1430491389' post='11479329']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1430491164' post='11479309']
South/East combo.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunately I didn't see those 2, I just saw the fish. Those are 2 good birdies though.
[/quote]

Yeah, yeah...you'll never remember those...but always remember the fishes.

'Anyone peg the clock tower on South 9? I played with a gent a few years back who mistook the blue 150 yard marker in the middle of the fairway for a 200 yard marker, and hit a beautiful 5 wood that sailed over the green, and nailed the clock. He told me this as I was standing at the blue 150 stake with a fairway wood in my hand, as I was about to do the same thing.

Arrowhead remains the only course I've played that uses colored 150 markers to indicate pin location.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1430492994' post='11479511']
Arrowhead remains the only course I've played that uses colored 150 markers to indicate pin location.
[/quote]

Scheisscenhausen! That would have helped to know.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

'Anyone peg the clock tower on South 9? I played with a gent a few years back who mistook the blue 150 yard marker in the middle of the fairway for a 200 yard marker, and hit a beautiful 5 wood that sailed over the green, and nailed the clock. He told me this as I was standing at the blue 150 stake with a fairway wood in my hand, as I was about to do the same thing.

[/quote]

Fox Bend does the same thing...

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1430494349' post='11479655']

[/quote]

Fox Bend does the same thing...
[/quote]

Years ago I played there in an IJGA event and saw a kid pull a 3 iron from the blue 150 post. Flushed it right over the green and onto the next hole's tee box. Man that was one angry group!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

I'll spare the enormous pictures I posted in a separate thread but I'll link it here.

Took an impromptu golf trip to Vegas earlier this week and played five courses. Shared a few pics in the post below. Wolf Creek GC should be added on every golfer's bucket list imo:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1168123-help-fill-out-our-vegas-golf-trip-next-week/#entry11479799

Might sneak out to Glencoe this afternoon around 3. Kinda in limbo cause I might have a lower level suite ticket for the Hawks game tonight, waiting for my friend to tell me if he's going or not. if I play at 3 and finish at 7 its gonna be cutting it close for 8:30 game.

Then I have 4 man scramble tomorrow morning at Shepherd's Crook. My team isn't going to contend for the win, but we're all hockey teammates and we'll have a great time regardless.

And then sunday I will fulfill my marraige contract and take the wife golfing somewhere.

I booked as a single at 10:11 am at Sunset Valley on Sunday. There appears to be a single slot available if anyone wants to join.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1430496666' post='11479935']
Bachelor party...It may get ugly. Fly in Thursday night, leave Saturday morning. No plans to sleep at all.
[/quote]

Thanks. It started getting rowdy for the fight this wkend.

Good times for sure. I highly recommend getting back out there sometime with golf being the top priority.

Deere Run kicked my rear today. Greens were aerated and the fairways were aerated (not core but looked like slices) as well. fairways and greens were sand dressed. i'd like to come back and play it under better conditions. For those that live in the area, $2,200 a year to be a member. No cart fee and unlimited golf (except for two weeks in July). No food or drink minimums. Seems pretty reasonable.

Played Harborside Starboard yesterday in nearly ideal conditions. The greens and and fairways were aerated, but were healing nicely. The greens were quite speedy, so they'll be very quickly in a week or so.

The new driver continues to impress. I hit 11 fairways, and 11 greens from a blue/white combo. 'Couldn't putt on the bumpy greens, but did manage two birdies with tight approach shots.

I'm heading for Sunset Valley in a few minutes. It should be another great day on the links.

Had a lot of fun out at Highlands of Elgin yesterday with DP4 and hayzoos. That is a great course and is in great condition already. Winds were down and scoring was available....if I could make 2ft putts.

Johnny, you might want to talk to hayzoos' shaft guy. Apparently he offers a turbo charged questionably conforming shaft that no matter the shot shape, it goes 300+ yards.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1430509223' post='11481277']
I booked as a single at 10:11 am at Sunset Valley on Sunday. There appears to be a single slot available if anyone wants to join.
[/quote]Would love to hear how the condition is--have not played there in years, but due to a move it becomes a more convenient "midway" option for a golf group we have

Lots of golf this weekend!

Friday, snuck out to Glencoe in the afternoon. Got to hole #2 and got a call from a buddy asking if I wanted his ticket in the Comcast lower level luxury suite for the Hawks game. So that kinda put a damper on golf, knew I was only gonna get in 9 so just kinda messed around. Course was in nice shape, greens not fast but they were smooth.

Went to the game, finally went to bed around 2 am and had to get up at 5:30 to get out to Shepherd's Crook for a scramble. Played with 3 of my hockey teammates/golf buddies. I knew we weren't gonna contend with that group since I'm the best player and one of our guys shoots about 110. We ended up 4 under, but had a great time. Weather was fantastic. Course in great shape, greens had recently been aerated and sanded, but ran smooth.

Then today, took the wife out to Balmoral Woods, one of my favorite hidden gems. Course also in fine shape with same green situation, but the greens at BW were running surprisingly fast considering the holes and sand on them. Or maybe that was because I was above the hole so much, a big no no at BW. Anyway, I played great...ever since having a couple lessons last month and getting a brand new swing for my driver and irons my game has really been coming along better than ever. Went 44-39-83 at BW, easily my best score ever there. That's not an easy track, even tougher today with gusting winds. I missed 4-5 putts by less than an inch so I really could've made a run at sub 80 today if I just putted a little better. Very consistent though, only one double all day, on #17. That was my only miss hit driver all day, not a coincidence.

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1430668019' post='11490097']
Had a lot of fun out at Highlands of Elgin yesterday with DP4 and hayzoos. That is a great course and is in great condition already. Winds were down and scoring was available....if I could make 2ft putts.

Johnny, you might want to talk to hayzoos' shaft guy. Apparently he offers a turbo charged questionably conforming shaft that no matter the shot shape, it goes 300+ yards.
[/quote]

Sweet, I'll take 2! Hayzoos PM me his info.

TRS 3 - Ping Max 10k ?  Ventus Red TR 5s? - Ventus + Blue 5s? - TPT Nitro 17 Hi?

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Just got home from Kohler, WI. Played the River course first then did the Meadow Valley course. Not a huge fan of the Meadow Valley. Had great weather up there. The winds really picked on the 2nd 18. 15-25mph and I was half in the bag...
Friday, if weather cooperates, we are playing the Straits and either River or Meadows.

TRS 3 - Ping Max 10k ?  Ventus Red TR 5s? - Ventus + Blue 5s? - TPT Nitro 17 Hi?

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='stringbean502001' timestamp='1430682102' post='11491047']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1430509223' post='11481277']
[/quote]Would love to hear how the condition is--have not played there in years, but due to a move it becomes a more convenient "midway" option for a golf group we have
[/quote]

The conditions were spotty, but playable. There were a few bare patches on some of the greens, which was odd. The greens at Wilmette and Glencoe are in fantastic shape, so I have no idea what's going on at SV. The fairways were a bit shaggy, and you could see a few punch holes from a recent aeration.

The bunker sand at SV is unbelievably fluffy. It's like sandbox sand. 'Very difficult to hit out of if you're used to packed sand. I'm going to go out some night with a dump truck, steal some, and take it down to Harborside.