Most interesting golf course you've every played?

Couldn't think of the best title for this, so hopefully the description will do it. When I say interesting, I mean kind of location/set up etc. For example, the most interesting one I've played is here in Tucson/Marana. Quarry Pines Golf Course. It was built in the remnants of an old rock/sand quarry. The front 9 is fairly easy, straight forward but offers some challenge with tight driving and desert golf. The back 9....you better bring some a few sleeves of balls. You are teeing off next to 100 ft drops, over gorges, extremely tight fairways with 5 yards of rough then OB on both sides kind of golf. It's a great course and a ton of fun.

Google Images for Quarry Pines

**Sorry for the lack of pictures. Computer won't let me upload any :(

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Gleneagles GC in San Francisco.

It's scruffy. It has wind. Daisies growing in the rough. Gunshots heard (from projects at bottom of course) during play most times I've played there.

I think they allow tank tops. The bartender checks you in. You are gonna get some tough lies, hardpan, bare dirt but you just play it. It makes you play shots.

And it has an ethos that for me is unique to playing golf (or just being outdoors) in San Francisco.

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

Quintero Golf Club in Peoria, AZ. The most beautiful course I've ever played. Holes are carved into the desert. Great elevation, most picturesque.

[url="https://www.google.com/search?q=quintero+golf&safe=strict&biw=1785&bih=1062&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=k8lDVbzGFczooATEz4HAAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=_"]https://www.google.com/search?q=quintero+golf&safe=strict&biw=1785&bih=1062&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=k8lDVbzGFczooATEz4HAAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=_[/url]

[quote name='madlife5' timestamp='1430506123' post='11480957']
Quintero Golf Club in Peoria, AZ. The most beautiful course I've ever played. Holes are carved into the desert. Great elevation, most picturesque.

[url="https://www.google.com/search?q=quintero+golf&safe=strict&biw=1785&bih=1062&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=k8lDVbzGFczooATEz4HAAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=_"]https://www.google.c...Q_AUoAQ#imgrc=_[/url]
[/quote]

That actually reminds me a lot of [url="https://www.google.com/search?q=quintero+golf&safe=strict&biw=1785&bih=1062&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=k8lDVbzGFczooATEz4HAAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ#safe=strict&tbm=isch&q=ventana+canyon+golf"]Ventana Canyon golf[/url]....except the course you posted doesn't appear to have a bunch of homes etc. around it. PURE desert golf right there!

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

http://www.riverviewgolf.com/

Built in a large water run-off here in orange county. Hard to describe, but it's pretty interesting, never played it but have seen it from the road many times.

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

Eagles Nest about 45 minutes west of Denver, Co. At least when I played it back in 95. Gorgeous mountain course, only three holes open, rest wound their way up around a tree lined mountain. And only holes 3 and 4 besides each other. None other. Ran into a guy from that area golfing a few years ago. When I mentioned course thought he was going to hit me lol. He apologized and said that was his favorite course, until they built a housing community all along it. After he said that I almost hit him. Always wanted to go back, not after hearing that though. Total bummer.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

It is hard to select one as the most interesting, but one of my favorite layouts is the Shawnee Golf Course in PA. It is a great setting, and the blue and red courses were Tillighast's first 18 hole design and are a great combination of difficult green placements and hazards which requires length and accuracy. Host of the 1938 PGA Championship, it has three par 5's of 570+ yards on one 9 from the blues. I play the whites and they are still back breakers, never mind hickory shafts and the inferior golf balls used at that time. Most of the course is on an island, so it is difficult to expand it from its current 6800 yards to accommodate today's tournaments, and is a resort course open to the public and kept in decent shape. But the water shots across portions of the Delaware River, the strategic placement of trees and other impediments, and the impressive length for most of today's amateurs, have all held my interest over the last 20 years. I only get there once or twice a year, but it is a challenge and a treat, and also a tribute to the classic course design.

Dinosaur Trail, Drumheller, Alberta, Canada - Parkland on the front, dark side of the moon on the back. Go to an excellent dinosaur museum after your round.
[url="http://www.dinosaurtrailgolf.com/#!golf/czpx"]http://www.dinosaurtrailgolf.com/#!golf/czpx[/url]

SilverTip, Canmore, Alberta - Luxury Target Golf
[url="http://silvertipresort.com/"]http://silvertipresort.com/[/url]

I've heard about this one from a few people but never played myself. Golf in an extinct Volcano in Bali. Sounds interesting.
[url="http://www.balihandaracountryclub.com/location/"]http://www.balihandaracountryclub.com/location/[/url]

• Like 2

I play so bad, but it feels so good!
WITB Link

Emerald Canyon, Parker, AZ. Yikes! Huge drops, large canyon walls, windy and a blast to play.

ie - par 3 115 yards or so. You can't see the green from the tee box. Walk up to the edge, look straight down, "oh, there's the green", mark the flag on a rock on the far canyon wall, turn around and walk back to the tee box, hit to the rock you found on the far canyon wall, walk to the edge again and see if you can find your ball as it falls dead straight down and plugs into the green.

The next hole comes back up between 2 huge canyon walls. You have to hit between the 2 walls and up hill.

On a few holes you can cut corners of doglegs if you have no fear of hitting over a canyon wall.

When your balls gets just above or past a canyon wall the wind takes over. Nothing like seeing your tee shot head dead straight for 200 yards and then clear the wall and take a dead right turn with the wind that you didn't see or feel.

OH, and for pure beauty in every direction - Seven Canyons, Sedona, AZ. 360* views of red rocks on every hole. It's tough to concentrate.

Horseshoe Bend Country Club in Dennis, TX. It's a trailer park community on the Brazos River. The fairways are lined with trailer homes. The golf carts are old and have 3 wheels. There is no dress code. And if you don't live there and just show up to play the members/residents don't have much to say to you. It's not the friendliest atmosphere. But I would say it's the most interesting 9 holes of golf I have ever played. It's their own little world out there......suprisingly, I have heard stories of some pretty big money games out there. I'm not to sure it's a place you just show up to, win and actually collect your winnings though

probably Highland Links in Ingonish, Nova Scotia on Cape Breton Island.

Old Stanley Thompson design, large severely undulated greens, lots of blind shots, and greens maintained at the speed they were designed to be played at 75 years ago.

It was really cool that they never destroyed the original by making the greens super fast.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

The Shattuck Golf Club in New Hampshire. It is ranked as one of the most difficult courses in the US. It is also quite beautiful, scituated at the base of Mt. Monadnock, and wending it's way through forests, ponds, marshes, and wetlands.

Of the 18 holes, 14 require forced carries over those wetlands, marshes and ponds. It defines target golf. The premium on this course is accuracy, not distance.

Interestingly enough, I played the same ball the entire round. I rarely do that on my home course, which also requires accuracy.

Banff Springs near Calgary.

[url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=banff+springs+golf&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7GNFVbKXHKrC7AbIr4DgDA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#"]https://www.google.c...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#[/url]

Playing golf between a mountain and a river, stay in a castle, risk getting mauled by a bear or charged by an elk.

910D3 8.5* 
910F 17* 
AP2 (714) 3-PW 
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* 
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1430497979' post='11480083']
Couldn't think of the best title for this, so hopefully the description will do it. When I say interesting, I mean kind of location/set up etc. For example, the most interesting one I've played is here in Tucson/Marana. Quarry Pines Golf Course. It was built in the remnants of an old rock/sand quarry. The front 9 is fairly easy, straight forward but offers some challenge with tight driving and desert golf. The back 9....you better bring some a few sleeves of balls. You are teeing off next to 100 ft drops, over gorges, extremely tight fairways with 5 yards of rough then OB on both sides kind of golf. It's a great course and a ton of fun.

[url="https://www.google.com/search?q=quarry+pines+golf&biw=1280&bih=930&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iqpDVcSPGsfTsAXv1oGYBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg"]Google Images for Quarry Pines[/url]

**Sorry for the lack of pictures. Computer won't let me upload any :(
[/quote]

This sounds just like The Quarry Golf Club in San Antonio, TX. Front nine is built links-style and fairly easy. Back nine is built into an old limestone quarry, with lots of Cliffside fairways, forced carries, and awesome downhill tee shots that just go and go and go. Great track and affordable.

It's an obvious one but Pebble Beach has some of the most amazing holes I've ever played. The Par-4 #8 across the ocean is the greatest hole on the planet hands down as far as I'm concerned! Some may disagree with me that have played it before but the holes away from the ocean are just OK, but the holes near and along the ocean are the some of the best in the world!

I played Pebble Beach when I was stationed at Ft Ord, CA but on base we also had one of the best courses I've ever played in "Bayonet". Years ago they used it as a "Monday Qualifier" for the Crosby and many pro's have commented that Bayonet was much harder than Pebble Beach.

I live in Upstate NY now and there are a number of Donald Ross and Devereux Emmet courses in our area that I have played and have greatly enjoy them all! My favorite is Capitol Hills(Devereux Emmet) but Glens Falls CC and The Sagamore(both Donald Ross tracks) are a joy to play as well!

[quote name='Locutusoforc' timestamp='1430609266' post='11487713']
Probably the Stanford University course or Rustic Canyon outside of LA
[/quote]

I'll give a nod to Rustic. Very interesting and very different from the "typical." It is a fun to play course that seems like it would remain interesting for a long time and with many repeat plays.

[quote name='Emthree' timestamp='1430611731' post='11487879']
Banff Springs near Calgary.

[url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=banff+springs+golf&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7GNFVbKXHKrC7AbIr4DgDA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#"]https://www.google.c...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#[/url]

Playing golf between a mountain and a river, stay in a castle, risk getting mauled by a bear or charged by an elk.
[/quote]Yea Banff springs is incredible, the hotel is still astonishing every time I see it. I somehow figured out a way to get on the roof right at the top of the hotel, pretty cool spot.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62