Most interesting golf course you've every played?

[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1430607761' post='11487599']
probably Highland Links in Ingonish, Nova Scotia on Cape Breton Island.

Old Stanley Thompson design, large severely undulated greens, lots of blind shots, and greens maintained at the speed they were designed to be played at 75 years ago.

It was really cool that they never destroyed the original by making the greens super fast.
[/quote]

I agree, loved Highland Links. Shot somewhere approaching infinity, but loved it.

I liked the Boulders at the Waldorf in Arizona to boot. Neat desert course with the fastest greens I've ever played.

Royal Dornoch...in the highlands of northern Scotland, one of golf's "purest links". Most miss this incredible classic when they travel there because it is such a trek north, but if you can make it--GO. Where Donald Ross grew up and learned the game, became first golf professional, and developed his design philosophy

The Dunes Club in New Buffalo, MI. It's owned by Mike Keiser and was his first course built. I'm lucky enough to work there so I see it practically everyday in the summer.

The entrance is essentially a hole in the fence with a gravel driveway. You park your car between the trees. The clubhouse is smaller than most clubhouse locker rooms. It is walking only, and unless you're a member it's caddy only. It's only nine holes, but all of the holes have multiple tees (#6 is a par 3 with 9 tees ranging from 100-185 yards). There are also no tee markers. It's a match play course where the winner from the previous hole picks the tee. It's an absolute blast to play and if you play well you can score, but start to spray that ball and you can shoot 1000.

• Like 1

Concur on Lakota Canyon in Colorado... awesome course for elevations change. Wolf Creek for the same.

To me it would be Sand Hills for two reasons. The images you see really DO not do it justice on the size of the sand dunes. Adding to that there is nothing... absolutely nothing around. When we played there was only one other group out there and we never saw them. It is really odd as you get so used to seeing other golfers or just hear life's "noises" your used to on the course.

Its in the middle of nowhere and all you hear is the breeze an the sound of the club swoosh/impact. I never asked why but we never saw anyone that worked there come out while we were playing either...???

Ever since playing it I have wondered what it would be solo on the course, no caddie.

Has to be Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV.

I played there last week and it was an unbelievable experience. The aesthetics and scenery alone make the round memorable, but the course really offers some amazing golf shots. You have several downhill / uphill tee shots and approaches that probably (best guess) are 300+ feet. Additionally, you have a super tiered greens and some really sharp doglegs that allow you to cut corners and gamble on some shots. It is truly like "fantasy" or video game golf in real life.

[quote name='skylargolf' timestamp='1430518724' post='11482133']
Probably Tobacco Road or Tot Hill Farm. Both Mike Strantz designs and will blow your mind!
[/quote]I would definitely vote Tobacco Road, True Blue, and Caledonia. His designs are a lot of fun to play.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

While Quintero Golf Club outside of Scottsdale was beautiful an would be my second choice, one course stands above all else in regards to this topic:

Greywalls in Marquette Michigan

With rock outcroppings and views of Lake Superior, the course is unlike anything I have every played.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

[url=http://www.sommarogolf.se/gaster/scorekort-links/]Sommaro Golf Links[/url], Karlstad, Sweden
(note: distances are in meters, so add about 10% to convert into yards)

It's a 12-hole (yes, twelve) golf course located on the grounds of the city's former commercial airport. I've always thought playing 9 holes can be too short, and playing 18 can sometimes take too long. 12 is perfect. I was able to walk 24 holes in a shade over 3 hours. Enjoyable course.

They also have a chart on how to calculate your 18-hole score so that you can post it for handicap purposes. Master's in Advanced Mathematics required.

The majority of the runway is still intact, so I got to see the following on the day I played...[list]
[*]Scooter lessons
[*]Charter bus driving lessons
[*]Go-kart testing sessions
[*]Performance driving lessons
[/list]

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Probably Lahinch in Ireland. Two holes whose greens are completely obscured by 3-story dunes. Flag sticks that are shorter than "standard" sticks make holes look farther away than they really are. Some of the deepest, most outrageously penal bunkers I've ever seen. But gorgeous views from atop huge elevation changes. Really bummed that I couldn't get off the tee all day, but just a wild, wild experience.

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1430664593' post='11489881']
[quote name='Emthree' timestamp='1430611731' post='11487879']
Banff Springs near Calgary.

[url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=banff+springs+golf&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7GNFVbKXHKrC7AbIr4DgDA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#"]https://www.google.c...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#[/url]

Playing golf between a mountain and a river, stay in a castle, risk getting mauled by a bear or charged by an elk.
[/quote]Yea Banff springs is incredible, the hotel is still astonishing every time I see it. I somehow figured out a way to get on the roof right at the top of the hotel, pretty cool spot.
[/quote]

Did you get down via tied together bed sheets afterwards ;)
I like to think I'm good with directions and knowing where I am, but I always get a kick out of walking around the labyrinth corridors of the hotel and see if I can knowingly return to the starting point.

To the OP: lots of interesting courses over the years, but playing North Berwick and seeing the original Redan was super cool. After playing loads of copies, I don't know exactly what I expected, but it was certainly more severe than I would have thought, based on those other holes.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1430771572' post='11497409']
[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1430664593' post='11489881']
[quote name='Emthree' timestamp='1430611731' post='11487879']
Banff Springs near Calgary.

[url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=banff+springs+golf&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7GNFVbKXHKrC7AbIr4DgDA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#"]https://www.google.c...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#[/url]

Playing golf between a mountain and a river, stay in a castle, risk getting mauled by a bear or charged by an elk.
[/quote]Yea Banff springs is incredible, the hotel is still astonishing every time I see it. I somehow figured out a way to get on the roof right at the top of the hotel, pretty cool spot.
[/quote]

Did you get down via tied together bed sheets afterwards ;)
I like to think I'm good with directions and knowing where I am, but I always get a kick out of walking around the labyrinth corridors of the hotel and see if I can knowingly return to the starting point.

To the OP: lots of interesting courses over the years, but playing North Berwick and seeing the original Redan was super cool. After playing loads of copies, I don't know exactly what I expected, but it was certainly more severe than I would have thought, based on those other holes.
[/quote]Haha fire escapes to some service stairs.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Courses I'd consider very different from any others I've played:

Yale (CT)
Tobacco Road (NC)
Tot Hill Farm (NC)
Fenwick (CT)
Mayacama (CA)

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

+1 on Tobacco Road, like nothing I've played before or since.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

village view in croton ohio, beautiful natural layout with rolling hills, creeks that run through thre course, so many high risk high reward holes. but sometimes it hasn't been mowed in a while or maybe weeds growing on the green. it's a shame too because if they took care of it properly it would be such an amazing course

[quote name='UCBananaboy' timestamp='1430749234' post='11494773']
Has to be Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV.

I played there last week and it was an unbelievable experience. The aesthetics and scenery alone make the round memorable, but the course really offers some amazing golf shots. You have several downhill / uphill tee shots and approaches that probably (best guess) are 300+ feet. Additionally, you have a super tiered greens and some really sharp doglegs that allow you to cut corners and gamble on some shots. It is truly like "fantasy" or video game golf in real life.
[/quote]

Interesting to look at but after a decent tee shot I haven't played an easier course. Greens may have multiple Tiers but have no break or slope to them.

"Interesting."

To me, a course that appears simple (perhaps even easy) from the tee, but offers levels of complexity, is "interesting." I like courses that grow on me the more times I play them--course that allow the golfer, not the architect, to decide the best way to play the course. In particular, I find courses that allow for creativity around the greens to be interesting. When 80 yards from the green, I like the option of hitting anything from a punch 6 iron to a lob wedge, depending on imagination, conditions and skill.

I guess that is why I gravitate toward true links courses. Ireland and Scotland, and the few courses in the US that come close to real links.

I have played a few visually stunning courses that after a round, I just shrug a bit. It was pretty, but the golf was lack luster. I have played a number of dramatic courses--ones with big drop offs, forced carries or cliff top holes. They are dramatic to the eye, but the drama rarely transfers to great shot making.

In the US, I think the most interesting course I've played was the Sand Hills. It is visually stunning but offers a wide mix of holes. The turf is very similar to that found on the links. The course appears straight forward, but allows for maximum creativity in shot making.

In ireland, it's a toss up between Ballybunion, Royal County Down and Royal Port Rush.

In Scotland, hands down Royal Dornoch. There is something magical about the links.

If I could only play one of the above for the rest of my life, it would be Dornoch.

Albeit, after reading the replies to this thread, I really want to play Tobacco Road.

The Old Course, quirky and old and in a great spot if you love golf

Royal Melbourne, just a pure perfectly laid out golf course in pristine conditions, bunkering is fantastic ... as are the green complexes

I do like True Blue in Myrtle and want to play some more Strantz courses

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1430663887' post='11489845']
[quote name='Locutusoforc' timestamp='1430609266' post='11487713']
Probably the Stanford University course or Rustic Canyon outside of LA
[/quote]

I'll give a nod to Rustic. Very interesting and very different from the "typical." It is a fun to play course that seems like it would remain interesting for a long time and with many repeat plays.
[/quote]

I'll give a 3rd on Rustic.

On the high end, Pebble is everything you want in a golf course. I thought Spanish Bay was a more interesting course though.

The most interesting course I've played though is about 45 minutes south of Dallas. It's called the Old Brickyard and it's not just a clever name. It was built on what used to be an actually brick quarry. Tons of elevation changes and odd topography. If you live near Dallas, I'd definitely suggest you take a spin on that course. Really fun to play

[quote name='GoStars' timestamp='1430776766' post='11498121']
Take your pic of the Bandon courses, but for most interesting, I will probably go with Bandon Trails.
[/quote]My vote is Old MacDonald. I haven't played Trails, loved both BD/PD (both instant classic "links" tracks), but nothing compared to OM in terms of craziness. Dead elephants in the greens, crazy bounces, weird hole directions, I had to play shots I've never played in my life - 110 yard 6-irons, 150 yard gap wedges, chipping with a five iron, just nuts.

I think it's #3 where you have the blind tee shot over the dunes, setting up a 2nd shot to that crazy green way below...just wow.

Driver: Stealth 2 9*
3-Metal: TSi2 13.5* at D4 (+0.75)

5-Metal:  0341 Gen2 18*

4-Hybrid:  i25 22* 
Irons: i210 5-U
Wedges: SM8 54D, SM9 60M
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2MCS 
Ball: -Pro-V1x 

Another Vote for Tobacco Road. If you can read(and trust) a yardage book it is not difficult at all. The problem is how visually intimidating most of the shots are.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

The Links of North Dakota in the sprawling metropolis of Ray, ND. Wonderful course built in the middle of nowhere but is now surrounded by the Bakken oil fields. No water hazards, but the native grasses that surround the holes might as well be water because if you hit it in there you're never going to find it. The wind can REALLY blow there, as well.

[url="https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Links+of+North+Dakota/@48.15875,-103.049374,6188m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x67f2ed90c51729ed!6m1!1e1"]https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Links+of+North+Dakota/@48.15875,-103.049374,6188m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x67f2ed90c51729ed!6m1!1e1[/url]

[url="http://www.thelinksofnorthdakota.com/"]http://www.thelinksofnorthdakota.com/[/url]

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

[quote name='driveandputtmachine' timestamp='1432045373' post='11585566']
Another Vote for Tobacco Road. If you can read(and trust) a yardage book it is not difficult at all. The problem is how visually intimidating most of the shots are.
[/quote]

Indeed. When I read folks writing negatively about it, I wonder what they'd think of some of the old-school links courses that haven't been modernized.
Picking a line and trusting your swing/yardage shouldn't be any different whether you can see your target or not.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.