uPRO....Anyone seen this latest entry in the GPS wars?

mrb

Neilvaron-If yours is freezing up, check the software version. They replaced my unit a few days ago for another reason and this one has a newer version 1.20.20.20.10. It has not frozen up at all and it wasn't that hard to reproduce on the first unit. My first unit was version 1.11.10.12.10. Hopefully they will put the newer software on the site so everyone can update their flash. BTW-the software is on the unit itself and not on the memory card. I don't know if this release has the Mac patch since I don't have a Mac to try it on.

Mine locks up 1 or 2 times a round, easy to reset just hold the off/on button down for 10 secs or so and it resets. My current software version is 1.11.10.12.10 like yours. Guess I need to check on an update.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why is it that...I just received my Upro yesterday...I've downloaded courses...and my Upro profile shows I have the latest software...but my Version is 1.10.10.12.10?

Titleist 917D 9*

Titleist 917F 15*
Titleist 917F 18*

Mizuno 223 4 iron thru GW

Mizuno 225 3 iron 

Mizuno T22 46*/52*/58*

Sik Pro Putter

Seemore Z Series Limited Edition Putter

Big Max Dri Lite Hybrid Tour

Ecco Golf Shoes

So why is it that...I just received my Upro yesterday...I've downloaded courses...and my Upro profile shows I have the latest software...but my Version is 1.10.10.12.10?

The user page I believe is only partially functional. My requested courses just started showing up last week.

Also, the latest software may not be ready for mass distribution quite yet.

Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 

I'm sure there will be several more updates as time goes by but they just don't have that part of the site ready yet. I was fine with my original version and only experienced the lockups mostly when skipping the flyovers. I'm sure that in time we will all have the most current version via the site. At least now they have pictures of all the accessores except for the Cart Mount. So they are getting things done I think.

Hi everyone and thanks for the help. my version is also 1.10.10.12.10 It doesnt freeze up too often. If it does while playing ill try holding the start button down, but if it gets annoying ill contact them for the new software. Would that be downloaded like the courses? BTW I downloaded 3 courses today at the same time. It didnt take any longer than doing it one at a time, so go for it. One thing I found strange but of no real significance was when charging the screen is lit up and totally blank. I would have assumed it would be dark to conserve the energy being charged. Only when the screen is lit, (nothing on it though) will the red light flash signifying that the charging is complete. Are yours this way as well? Otherwise, it seems to function just fine in all ways. Some of the course pictures seem to be out of date though. It doesnt affect playability really, but the wooded areas seem kind of sparse on some of the courses, especially the newer ones. I asked one of the course attendants if he had seen gps' of this type and he said that he had his course downloaded on his palm computer, so I guess this is the way of the future. Thanks for telling me about the new software. Neil

I contacted CS today about my unit locking up and they want to switch out mine for a new version - not just upgrade software, but send me a new unit. I'll post the software version when I get it and see if the lock-up problems are gone.

I had the totally blue screen without the "USB Connected" message on the display with my first unit and to me it was in a locked up state. The battery charge indicator would never flash indicating a full charge. I found this to happen if I was viewing a course or hole and then plugged up the usb cable and connected to the site. It wasn't every time but that is how I reproduced the problem several times. I have not had that issue with my new unit with the 1.20 software but I really haven't tried that hard to reproduce it. I just leave it on the initial screen after powering it on and then attach the cable.

I just spoke to John at Upro and there is NOT a "new unit'. However, there is a firmware update from the 1.10 units to the 1.20 units. If you are experiencing any issues please just call Upro and they will gladly ship another unit to you or update the flash on your existing unit. John asked that I put this on the forum since they are committed to making sure everyone is happy. I have not experienced any issues with my 1.20 unit whatsoever.

This just in....Upro TOTAL BUST!

Every unit we sold came back...Upro says they are working on a "new" unit.

Ill stick to my Laser Range finder.

I just spoke to John at Upro and there is NOT a "new unit'. However, there is a firmware update from the 1.10 units to the 1.20 units. If you are experiencing any issues please just call Upro and they will gladly ship another unit to you or update the flash on your existing unit. John asked that I put this on the forum since they are committed to making sure everyone is happy. I have not experienced any issues with my 1.20 unit whatsoever.

It sounds like there was a lack of proper testing before this went to market. I have one on back-order and may cancel it. As the consumer, I shouldn't be Beta testing this for them. I understand if there are minor glitches for the initial release, but to hear about numerous returns and shops not stocking them is not good. Doesn't sound like just minor glitches.

Would love to hear comments from other Upro owners. Good or bad.

It sounds like there was a lack of proper testing before this went to market. I have one on back-order and may cancel it. As the consumer, I shouldn't be Beta testing this for them. I understand if there are minor glitches for the initial release, but to hear about numerous returns and shops not stocking them is not good. Doesn't sound like just minor glitches.

Seems there is a lot of that going around and not just with the uPro.

HI guys, What kind of problems have people been having. I must say, ive played twice, it never locked up, was a bit hard to see in pro mode, and the yardages were within 1 or 2 yds accuraccy. I dont know if the materials they use are the best, I want to ask the other upro owners if they have, 1) a totally lit up white screen with nothing on it while charging. 2) on the Settings pages if they have white streaks, two to be exact, one of which cuts diagonally thru the lower right hand corner of the screen. 3)sometimes on shutting off the image stays on the screen, kind of like burn in, but then disappears. I spoke with Bill at CS and he has had one other customer with the white screen, said i could call back about it, if it worried me. They couldnt map my course in 4 days, they are getting me a new battery. I have plenty of other playable courses though that I already have. I cant consider this a bust, and Im rather negative most of the time, I took it to Golf Galaxy to show off to them today, they said it beats everything in the store. I was given the general 30 days at Edwin Watts and ive had it a week so ive got some time if I want to return it, but it really was quite good yesterday, and I would miss pro mode on the SG5. And the v300 has gotten some lousy customer reviews on the golfsmith site. If you guys could answer the above questions as trivial as they are Id appreciate it. Thanks, Neil

I've only used mine twice and have not had any problems. No lock ups. What kind of bothers me is the unit going into sleep mode. I changed it to 45 seconds as others have suggested...but...

If it goes into sleep mode...say as you finish up on a green...when you head to the next tee box...I either get the "what hole are you on prompt" from the Upro or I have to go into the settings and reset the hole. Very annoying!

But I like the unit.

For those that are interested in the stats mudule that is being advertised as being available in the Summer of 2008. I talked the support department at UPlay and was told they haven't even started working on the module yet. I was told not to expect it until the end of the year.

Titleist 917D 9*

Titleist 917F 15*
Titleist 917F 18*

Mizuno 223 4 iron thru GW

Mizuno 225 3 iron 

Mizuno T22 46*/52*/58*

Sik Pro Putter

Seemore Z Series Limited Edition Putter

Big Max Dri Lite Hybrid Tour

Ecco Golf Shoes

Hi, I know what you mean. I would think that once they get the scoring module up and you actually put in your score for the hole, it would automatically switch to the next one. That would take care of that problem. I also had to switch manually a couple of times, because on the obvious par 3s i left it in my pocket. Even with the few minor disappointments either in quality or planning, it really does what they have advertised it to do. Im still pleased as well, and will just wait for the module. By the way, what I meant about the white streaks are on the website as well, ( i guess its by design) its looks like part of a wispy cloud background or something, check the page on the upro site where it shows, play golf or settings, then check out the light white line going through the middle of the settings rectangle. Thanks. Neil

Neilvaron-If yours is freezing up, check the software version. They replaced my unit a few days ago for another reason and this one has a newer version 1.20.20.20.10. .....

FYI - Just got my replacement unit and the firmware version is the same as your replaced one at 1.20.20.20.1

I think they are doing it to have a completely satisfied customer. Bill at upro CS said that the new software, the 20 series, is what they have been working on for the mac users, and this would have no import on me as a PC user. However in light of what others have said on these pages about lock ups, he offered to switch out the units anyway, if thats what I wanted. I thought I was better off with the new software in any case, so Ill switch. Btw, I found a glitch in one of the courses I play, they moved the green back so as to make a par 5 out of a 4. I was sitting 225 out waiting to play my second shot, looked at the gps and it read 110. I wasnt really tempted to a pull a wedge though....

I got the unit to power up after recharging for a few minutes.

Unit was 50% charged, so I don't know why it wouldn't power up.

I just downloaded a course, and was viewing the holes in "simulate" mode.

Unit did lock up numerous times as I was going from point-to-point using the VR button.

Had to power down the unit and re-start. Able to repeat get the unit to lock up numerous times when manuevering around in simulate mode.

Funny that this did not occur when I first got the unit.

Will play a round this weekend to see if the unit locks up during a round.

On a side note, I just bought a protective case for the Upro.

I purchased a Lowepro, Tasca 20. It is a fabric/laminated foam sleeve with a magnetic top closure. No zippers to fumble with. Easy to get unit in and out of the sleeve during a round. Comes with a carabiner clip so the case can be attached to your golf bag.

I clipped the case to my belt loop. The unit and case are so light that they do not interfere with my swing. The entire case will also fit into a pocket.

You can check the case out at www.lowepro.com. I purchased the case at Best Buy.

Played a full round today with my new unit, not a single problem with the unit - no lockups (can't say that about my playing!) :clapping:

With changing the backlight to 100%, and low battery option (unit was still at 80% after the round) the unit is a pleasure to have and worked very quickly and accurately. Never lost signal the entire round. Pretty rock solid so far.

I think I figured out what this causing my unit to lockup during the "simulate" mode.

I just loaded a new course (Woodcreek GC), and I can consistently get the unit to freeze up when I go to hole #5 and toggle through the simulated points using the VR button. Once the simulated location gets to the green, pressing VR does not cycle back to the tee box. Unit simply does not respond to any of the buttons. Must press the power on/off button for 8 seconds to power down.

I assume there must be a bug/glitch in this particular sequence of the course program (for this specific course).

I'll send a note to Upro.

Hmmm....

I powered down by pressing the on/off button for 3 seconds, then selected yes for power off. My unit powered off normally. If I press any button during the power off state, the unit does not power up (as if it was in sleep mode). I pressed the on/off button again for 3 seconds, and the unit went through the normal boot up routine.

Any reason for you to suspect the 3 second power off method is not working as advertised?

Interesting.

I just recharged my unit, so I'll power down using the menu and check tonight.

I'll post what I find.

Hey, Upro responded to my comment about simulate mode on hole#5 for Woodcreek GC. They will forward the info to the mapping dept.

I suspect that there may be a possible error in any particular course. This could explain why some users experience lockups, while others are fine.

I forwarded another error that I have been having.

When downloading a course, my unit disconnects, then reconnects several times. This is after the course download and during the "updating user profile info" portion of the sync. After several back and forth connect/disconnects, I get the normal "it is ok to unplug the device". Sometimes, after the connect/disconnects, I get a Micosoft error saying that there was an error in upro.exe and the program was shutdown.

At this time, the errors seem to be a nuisance and does not affect the performance of my unit.

Anyone else having abnormal synch or download issues (other than the Mac problems that others are having)? BTW, I'm using Windows XP.