2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Am I ready for a set of MP-64's?

MoneyMahoney00

[quote name='MoneyMahoney00' timestamp='1414031416' post='10336369']
Hello GolfWRX!

I am a sophmore, high school golfer (pursuing college, fingers crossed!) who has recentley joined GolfWRX in hopes of golf enlighenment. I come to you (specifically Mizuno enthusiasts) with a question concerning the classic MP-64's. Many desire to play these beautiful irons, but I hear few possess the ability to play them well. I don't really like to put a handicap number on clubs, but I want to know if I'm ready to game these irons. A good buddy of mine (very talented golfer, shot -2 in regionals) owns them and I, like many, aspire to play these clubs. I have been able to scrap together a good bag of golf clubs (through many hours of work and saved birthday money), but my good, old 712 AP1's are starting to go out the door (great game improvers btw; dropped my scores from around 90 to around 78 over the summer). I'm looking to step up my irons and I'm looking at the MP-64's. My average score for the 2014 season was a 38ish and I just shot a 77 at districts (I know not too good, but I'm getting there). Just wanted some input! Thanks!

Yours Truly,

$$$Mahoney
[/quote]

It comes down to at which long iron do you start to lack confidence off the deck from any lie. I'm talking "any" hesitation at all - personally I'm down to my 5i off the deck and getting close to my 4i off the tee. So I'll be staying with my 53s for at least part of next season before I consider putting my 32s in the bag that I got "mint" years ago. I prefer my 32s, but I can play my 53s pretty solidly right now.

So what is it for you? 3i, 4i, 5i? Would you put a hybrid or driving iron in place of the 3i or 4i if needed?

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my advice(also a high school sophomore)... I started seriously 4 years ago and played ap1 just like you. Over two years I got to shooting in the 80's. Then I thought I was tiger so I worked to get some money and bot some titleist 690.mb. Even though my scores dropped to mid 70's due to getting taller(I'm 6 3) and stronger, I lost all confidence in my irons. However, I have recently moved to the ap2 and could not be happier. the ap2 offer forgiveness without sacrificing the feel you are looking for. They're also beautiful. So in short, I would hold off on making a big leap like that because if you are like me, your iron play MAY suffer. I'm not saying it will, but it did for me. Also, you might be surprised at the difference in trajectory between the ap1 and the mp64. I've hit both and the mo64 take a lot more effort to get off the ground. And if you don't mind my asking, where do u play?

Good luck
Jack

Rocketballz 10.5 Matrix Ozik Stiff
RBZ stg 2 tour HL stock stiff
Cobra amp cell hybrids set at 2 and 3
TM TP MB 4-PW S300
Vokey 52.08/58.14
TM Daddy Long Legs

I agree that 3,4,5 is where things start to get funny. I think you could give about any player that has been hitting "GI" clubs well an MP-** 6 iron and they'd love it. 5 4 3 progressively less. 3 iron you'd better be on point.

I don't hesitate off the turf with my 4 iron but I fear the 3 iron, which is a bummer. Since I've had these 32s I honestly haven't hit one bad shot with the 6 iron, it's just easy. 5 yeah, there's been one or two. 4, a few more but still useable. 3? ****

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

The first thing everyone needs to know is that there is no "upgrading" in irons. Any iron is perfectly capable to play to scratch. It's not the club that gets you there. I don't care if you play Miura blades or Ping Karstens, they can both be play under par.

That said IF the OP is hoping these new irons will help him improve to scratch then he is probably wrong. It's not about the irons, it's you. You can play the ones you have to make your college team, you can play them on the PGA Tour. MP64's are nice, are they [b]more[/b] able to get you onto your college team then the ones you have, no. You can make your college team playing a set of Ping G10's.

[quote name='596' timestamp='1414250750' post='10348803']
The first thing everyone needs to know is that there is no "upgrading" in irons. Any iron is perfectly capable to play to scratch. It's not the club that gets you there. I don't care if you play Miura blades or Ping Karstens, they can both be play under par.

That said IF the OP is hoping these new irons will help him improve to scratch then he is probably wrong. It's not about the irons, it's you. You can play the ones you have to make your college team, you can play them on the PGA Tour. MP64's are nice, are they [b]more[/b] able to get you onto your college team then the ones you have, no. You can make your college team playing a set of Ping G10's.
[/quote]

I think people are looking at the concept of less forgiving "per OEMs" incorrectly. MB clubs do not make you a better player, but you will need to be more precise in your iron play to be able to use them effectively. Thus, the perception that they can make one better. A bit of which came first - the chicken or the egg.

Players that use MB clubs on tour are more precise and thus better players not because of the clubs, but because they are good enough in the first place to maximize the clubs under tournament conditions. Players on tour are going to use the clubs that enable them to play [u][b]their[/b][/u] best, the most consistently - period! Whether MB, CB, or G30s - as it is a career to them. We should aspire to do the same.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

[/quote]

Good post. I tested out the 64s earlier in the year and loved them. The feel, the sound, through the swing they were perfect. I ended up spending 2-3 hours comparing the to my current irons and I didn't see a noticeable difference so I decided not to get them. That said my current irons are old but in a similar category to the 64s.

OP, do some vigorous testing comparing them to your current irons, if you like them and notice an improvement get them

[quote name='BenHoganSlam1953' timestamp='1414298709' post='10351789']

[/quote]

I think people are looking at the concept of less forgiving "per OEMs" incorrectly. MB clubs do not make you a better player, but you will need to be more precise in your iron play to be able to use them effectively. Thus, the perception that they can make one better. A bit of which came first - the chicken or the egg.

Players that use MB clubs on tour are more precise and thus better players not because of the clubs, but because they are good enough in the first place to maximize the clubs under tournament conditions. Players on tour are going to use the clubs that enable them to play [u][b]their[/b][/u] best, the most consistently - period! Whether MB, CB, or G30s - as it is a career to them. We should aspire to do the same.
[/quote]

Yep, I agree. My plan has been to build a precise [repeatable] swing with the MP line, and once I am GOOD and sniffing par, switch to say the G25s a la Mr. Cabrerra and tear the place apart,

[quote]Fit the swing to the clubs, not fit the clubs to the swing.[/quote]

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]

[quote name='MoneyMahoney00' timestamp='1414031416' post='10336369']
Hello GolfWRX!

I am a sophmore, high school golfer (pursuing college, fingers crossed!) who has recentley joined GolfWRX in hopes of golf enlighenment. I come to you (specifically Mizuno enthusiasts) with a question concerning the classic MP-64's. Many desire to play these beautiful irons, but I hear few possess the ability to play them well. I don't really like to put a handicap number on clubs, but I want to know if I'm ready to game these irons. A good buddy of mine (very talented golfer, shot -2 in regionals) owns them and I, like many, aspire to play these clubs. I have been able to scrap together a good bag of golf clubs (through many hours of work and saved birthday money), but my good, old 712 AP1's are starting to go out the door (great game improvers btw; dropped my scores from around 90 to around 78 over the summer). I'm looking to step up my irons and I'm looking at the MP-64's. My average score for the 2014 season was a 38ish and I just shot a 77 at districts (I know not too good, but I'm getting there). Just wanted some input! Thanks!

Yours Truly,

$$$Mahoney
[/quote]

aye. you're doing great with the golf.

i dont think anyone can help you much here w.o knowing a little bit about your game especially since there is such a big diff between what you are playing now and what you wish to play. if you wish to play what your buddy plays, i suggest to you that isnt a great way to choose irons.

sounds like your main motivation is to get better, so base your selection on that.

ask yourself:

do you miss hit those ap1's from time to time? assuming you do, then you will def miss hit the mizunos more which will almost most definitely cause you to shoot a higher score not a lower one. a more/too demanding iron doesnt cause people to play better....to the contrary

do you hit your irons far? you will most likely lose some distance with whatever mizuno iron it is you are thinking of. i cant remember all those numbers.

do you hit your ap1's high, med, low? you will likely find that you would hit the mizuno on a lower ball flight, as the ap1's are a high hitting club. so if you hit the ap1's on a med or low ball flight, the mizunos arent for you. if you hit your ap1's too high, the mizzys will get your ball flight down a bit...even more so when you miss hit :)

is there anything wrong with how your ap1's look or feel?

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1414074579' post='10338169']
Get em, if you can break 80 consistently, you'll be fine. People way over exaggerate how much more forgiving clubs like the mp54 or AP2 are compared to the 64s. There will be literally no difference in foreignness from 7-PW, and some marginal extra forgiveness in the 4-6, so it's like 3 clubs where there's a difference. Don't overthink this, just get em and enjoy em if that's what you want. People psyche themselves out trying to worry about if they can play clubs like this.
[/quote]

Agree with this as well. For anyone that can shoot in the 70's there'll be almost no difference in their score whether they're playing Miura baby blades or enormous shovels once they get used to the clubs. "Forgiveness" sells a lot of clubs, but it doesn't magically drop 2 strokes off a lower single digit handicap's game.

I stand behind thd 64s 100%. Personally I think they feel and perform better than most of the recent offererings from Mizuno. They have a nice trajectory and are suprisingly forgiving. I see a lot of people suggesting AP2s, S55s and what not. IMHO Mizuno is a better choice for forgiveness, feel and distance than all of those. If you are looking for something that will perform dramatically different then you want to test a Forged Taylormade. The new RSi series, SLDR irons or the CBs are very, very good clubs. They perform noticably different then all the other clubs mentioned in the thread.

btw, I hit MP63s.

Im going to post this up seriously

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1069407-the-what-should-i-buy-thread/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...d-i-buy-thread/[/url]

Read this.

First and foremost, why do you need to play the MP64. Just because the other guy shot a -2 under doesnt mean in your hands you cant do the same with the AP1's

Changing clubs should have a purpose with the intent of improving upon something. Rather than hope that in improves you.

What I mean is do you need the more aggressive leading edges, do you want less offset. Do you need more workability than you have in the AP1s etc.

You are right dont guage it based on Handicap, so dont look at what someone else shoots to gauge what you can shoot. There are scratch golfers on this site that play with SGI's just fine as they dont need specifics out of blades, players CB's etc to reach that score.

So as a High school Sophomore, you need to focus on fundamentals and "perfect practice" now so that you dont engrave negative habits that will be stuck with you down the long run.

my $0.02...... just saving you the money, and anguish that you may face. But its tough being a young person and saying nope you cant have any ice cream....but 50 years later you are wishing you never ate that thing as you take your heart medicine......etc

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1414804641' post='10381057']

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1069407-the-what-should-i-buy-thread/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...d-i-buy-thread/[/url]

Read this.

First and foremost, why do you need to play the MP64. Just because the other guy shot a -2 under doesnt mean in your hands you cant do the same with the AP1's

Changing clubs should have a purpose with the intent of improving upon something. Rather than hope that in improves you.

What I mean is do you need the more aggressive leading edges, do you want less offset. Do you need more workability than you have in the AP1s etc.

You are right dont guage it based on Handicap, so dont look at what someone else shoots to gauge what you can shoot. There are scratch golfers on this site that play with SGI's just fine as they dont need specifics out of blades, players CB's etc to reach that score.

[size=5][i][b]So as a High school Sophomore, you need to focus on fundamentals and "perfect practice" now so that you dont engrave negative habits that will be stuck with you down the long run.[/b][/i][/size]

my $0.02...... just saving you the money, and anguish that you may face. But its tough being a young person and saying nope you cant have any ice cream....but 50 years later you are wishing you never ate that thing as you take your heart medicine......etc
[/quote]

That's a compelling argument to get irons that will tell him where on the face he's hitting the ball. You can't fix it if you don't know that.

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1414805432' post='10381123']
[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1414804641' post='10381057']

Read this.

[size=5][i][b]So as a High school Sophomore, you need to focus on fundamentals and "perfect practice" now so that you dont engrave negative habits that will be stuck with you down the long run.[/b][/i][/size]

[/quote]

That's a compelling argument to get irons that will tell him where on the face he's hitting the ball. You can't fix it if you don't know that.
[/quote]

True.... but if he can shoot a 77 with AP1's I dont think he is having much issues with hitting the center of the face. Now the question is if there is GolfWRX embellishment as in he has shot 77 once this year and been shooting 80's and 90's and all over the creation.

Again we can speculate but again, this goes for any golfer, WHY would you change clubs if you can shoot a 77, and if you are shooting that consistently, I doubt the Irons change would be the reason to reach scratch as we know many that have obtain that elite level was from putting and scrambling around the green.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1414303983' post='10351913']
[quote name='BenHoganSlam1953' timestamp='1414298709' post='10351789']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, I agree. My plan has been to build a precise [repeatable] swing with the MP line, and once I am GOOD and sniffing par, switch to say the G25s a la Mr. Cabrerra and tear the place apart,

[quote]Fit the swing to the clubs, not fit the clubs to the swing.[/quote]
[/quote]

Let us all know how that works out for you!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1414786809' post='10379895']
[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1414074579' post='10338169']
Get em, if you can break 80 consistently, you'll be fine. People way over exaggerate how much more forgiving clubs like the mp54 or AP2 are compared to the 64s. There will be literally no difference in foreignness from 7-PW, and some marginal extra forgiveness in the 4-6, so it's like 3 clubs where there's a difference. Don't overthink this, just get em and enjoy em if that's what you want. People psyche themselves out trying to worry about if they can play clubs like this.
[/quote]

Agree with this as well. For anyone that can shoot in the 70's there'll be almost no difference in their score whether they're playing Miura baby blades or enormous shovels once they get used to the clubs. "Forgiveness" sells a lot of clubs, but it doesn't magically drop 2 strokes off a lower single digit handicap's game.
[/quote]

Absolutely! Forgiveness is out the window for lower single digits. real gains to be made then are putting and wedge game.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What is your typical miss with your AP-1 set? Ballflight? Average GIR? Average club you are hitting on par 4 second shot? What shots are you having difficulty executing with current set that you feel change would help facilitate?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1414812684' post='10381547']

Let us all know how that works out for you!
[/quote]

So far ... not very well. I think I was drunk for that post.

Yep

I have played with the 64's since they first came out. I love them, the look, the feel, they are one of Mizuno's all time great iron sets. They have plenty of forgiveness, not SGI forgiveness, if you miss the sweetspot by a bit you will know but you won't lose much distance, 5 yards max. If you miss the sweetspot by a lot you will definitely know and you will lose a lot more. if you are shooting in the 70s from time to time you will not have a single problem with the 64's. You won't miss the sweetspot by a lot very often.

If you are serious about your golf and interested in the style and look of these clubs then I urge you to go for it. You will love them, I don't think I have heard anything worse said about these than they lack forgiveness. Forgiveness is different for everyone, it depends what you want out of your golf. If you just want to play at weekends, have a bit of fun, not take it too serious then stick with the AP1's or look at other GI irons or even SGI irons. That's who they are designed for. That's not to say very good players can't play with GI irons because many do. For them they maybe see forgiveness differently or they prefer the look or feel of their choice. I am into golf and want to keep improving, I want to play with a set of irons that tells me where I hit the ball on the face, I want true yardages off the face, I want soft feel, classic looks and thin toplines. That's why I choose the 64's.

I agree with others that between SGI, GI and players cavitys that forgiveness and playability becomes more of an issue with the longer irons from 3-7. If you have a higher swing speed you will have no problem launching the longer irons but they will be small looking behind the ball compared to your AP1's. This may take a while to get used too. I would suggest the new H5's or 54's for the long irons if you think this may be an issue. 54's 3-6 and 64's 7-P would be a good starting point for transistioning into a "players" set.

Taylormade M1 430 Aldila Rogue Silver 70s
Titleist 917 f2 Fujikura Speeder TS 84s
Titleist AP2 3-Pw AMT s300
Vokey SM6 tour chrome 50, 54, 58 s200
Taylormade Daddy Long Legs +

• 6 months later...

My son currently uses MP-4s, but he previously used Titleist 714s, ZMs, ZBs, MP-33s and MP-14s. He started using blades at 11 and they've made his swing powerful and accurate because they demanded consistency. And though it probably has cost him, he also uses them in junior tournaments.

Blades are great for teaching you, but you have to be willing to absorb the lessons...

• 2 weeks later...

For many years my son has played on various junior summer club teams and there is always one common denominator. He could hit any of the clubs that the other boys on his team had, but they couldn't hit his clubs consistently. When he used their clubs, mostly reg/stiff flex shafts cavity backs, he just had to swing relaxed and would usually outhit the other kids using their clubs. When they would try his x100 MB blades, most couldn't get them off the ground, the D6 swingweight might have something to do with it, or the 7.5 / 8.5 degree heads with x-flex shafts could be another reason. Nonetheless, training with blades demand consistent accurate sweetspot contact, if you master that, any club works. Blades simply tell you when you don't hit them right by feel and results. GI irons make distinguishing between good contract and poor contact harder as they mask those feelings.

Your friend is a better golfer because his equipment demands that he become a better golfer to utilize the clubs in their most effective way. It takes commitment and a degree of fearlessness if you want to game them in competition.

You're breaking 80 and it would appear you are ready for a more refined tool. The Mizunos will be fine for you, but as rightly noted, there will be an adjustment period.
Enjoy, and good luck.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Just buy them, if you start seeing your scores go up, just remember its not the club.

EDIT: But if your buddy owns a set, I would get something else.

TSR1 10 B1 Diamana ZF 60 R

TSI1 18 C3 Tensei Blue 65 R

TSI1 20 A4 HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0

2021 T200 4-6 PXi 5.0

AP2 714 7-PW Flighted PX 5.5

SM9 50/54/58 PX 6.0

Scotty CC Newport+