Eye Dominance

BRaway1

Does it matter?
My putting has been holding me back for too long now...I'm starting to grab at straws...

I thought I read somewhere that depending on which eye was dominant, that determined what off-set your putter should have (ie flush, 1/2 shaft, full shaft).

Is there any truth to this statement or is completly up to feel?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this somewhere as well, FWIW I switched from a full offset putter, Anser 3 that I had been using for about 15 years, to a Scotty Bullseye with no offset several years ago, my short putting immediatly improved. I am also right eye dominate, my understanding is that if you are left eye dominate you want more offset and if you are right eye you want less offset. I have tried to go back to putters with more offset over the years but I start missing those pesky 3 and 4 footers. To me it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to lineing up to the target line, espceically when you are close enough to think you should make it. On long putts I see no real differnece, in fact on a really long putt offset might make it easier to make a long stroke.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

For me even a little offset really throws me off, my advice go to the local golf shop and hit putts with all the center shated or non offset putters you can find, I be you will start making more of the putts you think you should make.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Interesting topic. I also am right eye dominant and use very little offset.

My vision in my left eye is very poor and it throws off my depth perception at times. Great for a golfer, right? Half shaft offset is all I can handle. But until now I haven't thought about it with regard to my eye issues.

Sorry I'm also right handed.

I agree with the other poster, for me, I am right handed, right eye dominant. I have never been able to putt well with anything offset by more than 1/2 i.e. plumbers necks, I would tend to pull shorter putts. Currently I use a heel shafted Odyssey #9 or a SC Del Mar 3, and have much better results.

That is EXACTLY like me (RH putter and right eye dominant) the XG9 or a look alike is the only putter that I have found, that will work for me and sets up nicely in my eyes. I didn't think much of it until this thread came along...hmmh.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really interesting topic. I'm right handed/right eye dominant and have only used full offset putters, and haven't ever been a consistently good putter. I'm going to pick up a newport 1.5 ss very soon, and we'll see what happens.

Callaway Razr Hawk Tour Xcon-6 X
Taylormade r7 TP 15* HD7 X
Taylormade Rescue TP 19* Altus X
Cleveland CG16 Tour T-Stamp 3-PW S300
Cleveland CG16 RTG 52* & 58* S400
Yes! Ann 34"

This is a really interesting topic. I'm right handed/right eye dominant and have only used full offset putters, and haven't ever been a consistently good putter. I'm going to pick up a newport 1.5 ss very soon, and we'll see what happens.

This is an interesting topic to me because I am blind in my right eye. I never thought this effected my game until I heard someone mention "depth perception", could this be why I have trouble getting consistant solid contact with the golf ball (been practicing like a mad man for over 6 months and still can't hit consistant shots)?

we have been doing some research on thsi and we have found that if you are left eye dominant for example, when you are lining up your putts you should close your right eye...and only open it once the sey up is complete....do nt look at the hole agin and stroke the putt.

You can check this with a laser line up device and major eye dominance has a huge influence on how poorly you can line up.

Left eye dominant line up favouring the right..right eye the left..

huge huge difference with the one eye closed...

We have found no significant differences with offset...

we have been doing some research on thsi and we have found that if you are left eye dominant for example, when you are lining up your putts you should close your right eye...and only open it once the sey up is complete....do nt look at the hole agin and stroke the putt.

You can check this with a laser line up device and major eye dominance has a huge influence on how poorly you can line up.

Left eye dominant line up favouring the right..right eye the left..

huge huge difference with the one eye closed...

We have found no significant differences with offset...

So being right eye dominant I should close the left eye until set up is complete?

This makes a lot of sense as I am right eye dominant, right handed and seem to have a problem lining up left with my 2 ball with a 1/2 offset on anything inside of 10'. To make things worse, I wear contacts that are mono vision which has my left lense set for reading and my right for distance. Almost feels like I should keep my left eye closed the entire time. I will definitly go test some putters with no offset and see if it makes much difference.

I think you guys have this all backwards. I did some research and found this posted on the Rife Putter website. It contradicts what you are saying and says that if you are RIGHT HANDED, LEFT EYE DOMINANT, you should use a putter with LESS offset.

OFFSET VS. NON OFFSET

Sometimes, it is personal preference as far as the look of the putter is set up. For alignment purposes and for proper set up, the idea is to get the person's eyes to be directly over the ball, particularly the player's dominant eye. For a right-handed player who has a dominant left eye, the eye closest to the hole, we would typically fit them with a straight shafted putter because that puts their dominant eye over the ball. For a person who is right eye dominant, the eye furthest from the hole, we would give them an offset shaft. Putting the ball under the dominant eye helps the player line up the putt with more accuracy . Offset putters typically help golfers keep their hands in front of the ball at impact and promotes less break down in the wrists.

I think you guys have this all backwards. I did some research and found this posted on the Rife Putter website. It contradicts what you are saying and says that if you are RIGHT HANDED, LEFT EYE DOMINANT, you should use a putter with LESS offset.

OFFSET VS. NON OFFSET

Sometimes, it is personal preference as far as the look of the putter is set up. For alignment purposes and for proper set up, the idea is to get the person's eyes to be directly over the ball, particularly the player's dominant eye. For a right-handed player who has a dominant left eye, the eye closest to the hole, we would typically fit them with a straight shafted putter because that puts their dominant eye over the ball. For a person who is right eye dominant, the eye furthest from the hole, we would give them an offset shaft. Putting the ball under the dominant eye helps the player line up the putt with more accuracy . Offset putters typically help golfers keep their hands in front of the ball at impact and promotes less break down in the wrists.

That would only apply if that particular person (like me) putts RIGHTY though.

I beat the system by putting lefty.

OFFSET VS. NON OFFSET

And we thought we had found the answer to our poor putting lol

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

I found this on Wikipedia. It tells you how to determine if you are right or left eye dominant.

The Miles test. The observer extends both arms, brings both hands together to create a small opening, then with both eyes open views a distant object through the opening. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye)

• 6 months later...

Natural lefty

Righty as a golfer

Left eye dominant.

I aim better without offset and with one sight line (down the middle) according to an Edel fitting.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

At my putter fitting a few weeks back, I was told that I am LEFT EYE DOMINANT (I am right handed). The pro told me that this is "a gift", as I can see the line of the putt to the hole better.

I have three putters at the moment, the most offset that I have is 3/4 shaft offset (the MACGREGOR DCT). My gamer MALTBY is a half offset and my other backup MALTBY is centershafted with NO offset.

Right Handed, Left eye dominant requires as much offset as you can get and a forward ball position.

I had this all evaluated during a putting lesson, during which we tested eye dominance, ball position, hand position and off-set.

If your eye that is closer to the hole is your dominant eye, then you want off-set and a forward ball position.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

Joe;

Would the opposite be true as well. IOW, if a right handed golfer and right eye dominant, one should prefer a zero offset style? Also, is this common/accepted knowledge for fitting putters or is it just an opinion of a person here and there? Basically, is there a consensus among putter experts on eye dominance and putter style fitting?

Would center vs. heel shaft have anything to do with this?

Thanks,

307golf

I think this topic is great, and far more productive than Cameron vs. The World discussions...:)