pseudoswede

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1431611276' post='11557768']
[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1431607963' post='11557498']
[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1431448053' post='11545534']
[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1431445454' post='11545234']
(ain't nobody got time fo' 18!).
[/quote]

If you play that early, you should have time for 36! :superman:

I have to play nine holes on Saturday ~7am at Willis Case (yuck) as event #1 of "Man Day" that my buddy put together. Since that isn't really golf, Some us are also going to play Sunday at Red Hawk.
[/quote]

Willis Case is awesome! The front nine is a true gem. I'll agree with you about the back nine. Since I live down the street from the course, I've probably played there at least 200 times. I still can't believe how well designed the front nine is and is still a good test of golf today after all these years. Supposedly, Donald Ross designed it but looking it up, it is not registered with the Donald Ross Society. The back nine was designed and built by The Shriners supposedly and it shows, but mostly you can tell it was added years later as an after thought and they didn't really have the land to build it. The 19th hole and clubhouse have the best views in Denver.
[/quote]

Willis Case certainly is not that bad of a course. It does seem a bit quirky on the back but I have always thought overall it was a pretty good track. I prefer the Wellshire bar and patio area to all of them. The view is of the 9th hole and beyond that the foothills, and the old clubhouse gives it the feel of an old country club. Being a mens league member there, I guess I do have a slight bias though, but I have had some pretty fun times back there on the patio with the guys.
[/quote]

Man I've never played either of these courses looks like I need to try them this year!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played the back 9 of Meadow Hills yesterday morning. The two longest holes are dogleg rights with scary trees on the right side. Does not work well with my draw. Forgot how nice of a course it is. I may go back and play all 18 on 6/6.

Looking forward to playing Haymaker over Memorial Day weekend. I think I finally found 12 players so that we can do the tournament rate ($75 including golf, cart, range balls, and tournament management). I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I've yet to play a Colorado mountain course--after living here for 14 years.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Nice coupon on South Suburban's website:

Play Lone Tree and South Suburban on the same day for $100. Includes green fees, cart, and range balls at both courses.

The problem is that it's only valid on weekdays excluding holidays. If I had some expendable vacation days, I probably would've suggested a GolfWRX outing using this.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1432002750' post='11583310']
Nice coupon on South Suburban's website:

Play Lone Tree and South Suburban on the same day for $100. Includes green fees, cart, and range balls at both courses.

The problem is that it's only valid on weekdays excluding holidays. If I had some expendable vacation days, I probably would've suggested a GolfWRX outing using this.
[/quote]

I would definitely take a day off for that.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1431967055' post='11579410']
Played the back 9 of Meadow Hills yesterday morning. The two longest holes are dogleg rights with scary trees on the right side. Does not work well with my draw. Forgot how nice of a course it is. I may go back and play all 18 on 6/6.

Looking forward to playing Haymaker over Memorial Day weekend. I think I finally found 12 players so that we can do the tournament rate ($75 including golf, cart, range balls, and tournament management). I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I've yet to play a Colorado mountain course--after living here for 14 years.
[/quote]

I would like to play more mountain golf as well.. Wonder if this weather is delaying their season? In the "other" Rockies thread someone mentioned Redlands Mesa over in Grand Junction, and if it is even half as good as it looks on the website I'm adding it to my must play list.

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1432061121' post='11587518']
[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1431967055' post='11579410']

[/quote]

I would like to play more mountain golf as well.. Wonder if this weather is delaying their season? In the "other" Rockies thread someone mentioned Redlands Mesa over in Grand Junction, and if it is even half as good as it looks on the website I'm adding it to my must play list.
[/quote]

I wouldn't call Redlands Mesa mountain golf, just a really really challenging course. It is by far and away the most difficult course Engh has designed in my opinion. However, if you head that way, Lakota Canyon (Engh too) is more of a mountain style course. Also recommend Devils Thumb and Eagle Ranch out that way. Battlement Mesa is a very interesting course, story of two completely different nines there.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1432131528' post='11593308']
I drove by Kennedy Golf Course Sunday, on the opposite side of 225 (first time on that side). It looks like a pretty nice course. Looked pretty rolling and tree lined. Is it a city course? Slow, expensive, good condition?
[/quote]

I used to work over in that area and agree looks nice but have never played it. I don't think it's expensive but do thinks it's slow. It's a City of Denver course.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

[quote name='forecast6236' timestamp='1432130908' post='11593226']
this weather......
[/quote]

UGH for real! Had a time for later today after work, but I am not leaving early to go play in this weather or be rained out completely. Playing Wellshire Monday at 750 am to try to get 18 in while it's dry.

I drove by Kennedy Golf Course Sunday, on the opposite side of 225 (first time on that side). It looks like a pretty nice course. Looked pretty rolling and tree lined. Is it a city course? Slow, expensive, good condition?
[/quote]

Kennedy is an alright course. Not great. I chose Wellshire to be my home muni course bc it's got the most history by far, used to be a country club where Arnold Palmer and Ben Hogan and others have played, and has many mature trees around the course. So I always mention it when people bring up City courses, bc I find it to be the best. I would say Kennedy, Willis Case, and City Park are all kinda tied for 2nd, then you have Overland and Evergreen which are ok, but nothing special at all. All the city courses are around the same, 35-55 price for 18 depending on day and if you take a cart. Most will be slow during prime golf times, and generally they are all in pretty good condition. They all look great right now bc it's been raining for 3 weeks!

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

I was lucky enough to get out last week with some decent weather after work with some co-workers again at GVR and actually got 18 in. Struck my irons the best in years and drove the ball pretty well. I need to dial in my distances for my irons, as I was hitting them cleaner and further than usual. I couldn't putt for anything though (had 4 or 5 3-putts) and blew up on 2 holes (+6) and still managed to score 88. I should have been even or +1 through the first 7, but alas, I kept leaving stupid long putts or making mental mistakes on the green.

I was excited about the way I was hitting my irons so I hit the range the next day and once this past weekend, and now have a case of the shanks that I can't shake. Talk about mind numbing frustration! I need to figure this out before I step back on the course. I was hoping to get out this week and weekend too. Grrrrr....

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I also went in to the PGA Store the other day and tried out some Bettinardi and Scotty C putters...bad idea lol. I always liked my Yes! Tracy putter, but the putters I tried out felt so much more solid.

I do have to say though...I have never had a good vibe going into the PGA Store. The sales associates there just seem overly cold and unfriendly.

Edel E-1

[/quote]

What you see from 225 is actually the meh-ist of the 9 holes (Babe Lind) at Kennedy. The Creek 9 is the best, followed by the West 9. I wish they did a traditional rotation found at most other 27-hole courses.

It's probably the most-played city course (City Park might take the title), and 6-hour rounds are very common on the weekends.

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1432133238' post='11593556']
this weather......
[/quote]

UGH for real! Had a time for later today after work, but I am not leaving early to go play in this weather or be rained out completely. Playing Wellshire Monday at 750 am to try to get 18 in while it's dry.
[/quote]

nice. do you have openings in your group?

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1432134557' post='11593716']
I also went in to the PGA Store the other day and tried out some Bettinardi and Scotty C putters...bad idea lol. I always liked my Yes! Tracy putter, but the putters I tried out felt so much more solid.

I do have to say though...I have never had a good vibe going into the PGA Store. The sales associates there just seem overly cold and unfriendly.
[/quote]

They seem a little too helpful every time I'm in there. You just want to look at stuff and maybe hit clubs for fun........ is that too much to ask.

It's a also a pain to get them to "unlock" the sims. Golfsmith by Park Meadows has a much better system. They have hitting bays with sims that you can just take used clubs into a hit without being bothered.

[quote name='forecast6236' timestamp='1432144720' post='11594792']
[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1432133238' post='11593556']
this weather......
[/quote]

[/quote]

nice. do you have openings in your group?
[/quote]

not at the moment, but if a spot opens up I will let ya know asap! Always cool to meet new golf buddies.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='forecast6236' timestamp='1432144909' post='11594812']

[/quote]

They seem a little too helpful every time I'm in there. You just want to look at stuff and maybe hit clubs for fun........ is that too much to ask.

It's a also a pain to get them to "unlock" the sims. Golfsmith by Park Meadows has a much better system. They have hitting bays with sims that you can just take used clubs into a hit without being bothered.
[/quote]
The GS on Sheridan isn't much these days, very dissapointed when we stopped by last month.

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1432145873' post='11594962']

[/quote]

[/quote]
The GS on Sheridan isn't much these days, very dissapointed when we stopped by last month.
[/quote]

That one may be small and not have all the bells and whistles, but I worked there a while back and most of my buddies from then still do work there, and they are far and away better educated on equipment and club work than the other locations. I just ran into the manager there, Mark, last week, and he said they are about to do a total remodel so that should help with appearances. But if you go in there, ask for John K or David T. They know exactly what they are talking about. And Dave is one of the only people on earth I trust to work on my clubs besides myself.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting...I've only had that experience once. I was legitimately interested in finding new irons to see if any could kick my current set out of my bag, and I barely got eye contact from any of them.

Edel E-1

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1432146850' post='11595080']
[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1432145873' post='11594962']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

That one may be small and not have all the bells and whistles, but I worked there a while back and most of my buddies from then still do work there, and they are far and away better educated on equipment and club work than the other locations. I just ran into the manager there, Mark, last week, and he said they are about to do a total remodel so that should help with appearances. But if you go in there, ask for John K or David T. They know exactly what they are talking about. And Dave is one of the only people on earth I trust to work on my clubs besides myself.
[/quote]

I wanted the wife to see the iridescent Fly Z driver, first guy had never heard of it, second guy found one on a display at the cash register. That was all they had. I'd like to get the wife out of the 910 she is wearing out.

I've had better experiences at PGA SS than GG and GS near Park Meadows....I actually had someone there point me in the direction of the Callaway Apex irons I bought earlier this year. I was pretty much a Taylormade wh0re until recently :smilie_tm: That being said I still ordered them directly from Callaway because for some reason he wanted to sell me a set off the rack even though I hit them so much better at +1/2" and 2° flat....I left scratching my head about that one.

I guess it really depends whether you're looking for good service and a great fitting or if you're just browsing.

May I also recommend Lenny's in Aurora. Small shop that's basically in the Ski and Golf parking lot. I've been Lenny's twice and received the best 2 fittings I've had. They let you actually warm up on the sim and get to know you before you start bashing drivers. They are also good about having you hit a variety of clubs. I've walked in with an idea of what I want to buy and the employee made recommendations and I hit those clubs better on the launch monitor. Nothing sells better than that.

This is how I learned about TEE clubs. He had me hit their 3 wood and it out performed the 913 and a couple others I was looking at. I asked why I had never heard of TEE and he explained they don't have the marketing budget, don't sponsor anyone on tour and rely on good golf shops to get people hitting them on monitors t prove their worth. Makes sense.

He also went out to his car and grabbed his own TEE 3 wood because it had a different shaft than what they had in the store and I wanted to hit it. How funny is that?

Anyway, give Lenny's a try instead of the big stores.

+1 on Lenny's. Fantastic local golf shop.

Not a bad deal. $79 to play The Ridge at Castle Pines North (and a free breakfast sandwich). Weekdays between 7-8am.

http://www.idealgolfer.com/deal/colorado/ridge-castle-pines-north515

Argh... I think I either broke or severely sprained my pinky last night playing floorball goalie. Hurts like a son of a gun.

[quote name='forecast6236' timestamp='1432156998' post='11596230']
I guess it really depends whether you're looking for good service and a great fitting or if you're just browsing.

May I also recommend Lenny's in Aurora. Small shop that's basically in the Ski and Golf parking lot. I've been Lenny's twice and received the best 2 fittings I've had. They let you actually warm up on the sim and get to know you before you start bashing drivers. They are also good about having you hit a variety of clubs. I've walked in with an idea of what I want to buy and the employee made recommendations and I hit those clubs better on the launch monitor. Nothing sells better than that.

This is how I learned about TEE clubs. He had me hit their 3 wood and it out performed the 913 and a couple others I was looking at. I asked why I had never heard of TEE and he explained they don't have the marketing budget, don't sponsor anyone on tour and rely on good golf shops to get people hitting them on monitors t prove their worth. Makes sense.

He also went out to his car and grabbed his own TEE 3 wood because it had a different shaft than what they had in the store and I wanted to hit it. How funny is that?

Anyway, give Lenny's a try instead of the big stores.
[/quote]

It's by the Ski & Golf store, the one at Havanna and Parker? I'll have to see if I can find that one next time I'm there.

I've always had better service at PGA SS than either of the GS's (not that the GS's have been bad) but I do like the sims at GS by Park Meadows. It's nice to just grab a club and go hit.

They had a tent sale going on Sunday in their parking lot. There were some awfully good bargains out there.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1432214181' post='11600068']
Not a bad deal. $79 to play The Ridge at Castle Pines North (and a free breakfast sandwich). Weekdays between 7-8am.

[url="http://www.idealgolfer.com/deal/colorado/ridge-castle-pines-north515"]http://www.idealgolf...-pines-north515[/url]
[/quote]

Nice! Might have to do this...

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1432214181' post='11600068']

[url="http://www.idealgolfer.com/deal/colorado/ridge-castle-pines-north515"]http://www.idealgolf...-pines-north515[/url]
[/quote]

Of course it doesn't include Fridays, the only day I get off every other week...grrrrrr

Edel E-1