uPRO....Anyone seen this latest entry in the GPS wars?

mrb

I called upro yesterday for problems of locking up on the course. One time i charged the unit on a monday and played wednesday only to find it totally discharged. I asked them about this and the guy said it does go into some sleep mode so it will start faster. He told me to turn off by holding down the power key. I haven't noticed it starting faster but it did drain my battery.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although mine downloads fairly quickly, even the last 20 %, it does disconnect during the last phase as well. Sometimes once, sometimes twice, i didnt really think anything of it, as the download was successful after all. Just turned mine on, I always use the power off yes response, yet it held its charge and read 100% . Neil

I forgot to mention that Upro also responded about the connect/disconnect that I experience during course download/synch. They said that this is not normal and they will forward the info to engineering. Again, this problem is a nuisance and doesn't seem to affect the download. My only concern is possible file corruption if the unit is disconnected improperly during the synch.

Regarding the power drain if turning off using the menu yes/no prompt, I have not experienced this because I always charge the unit prior to my round. I guess I'm a bit paranoid that I'll run out of juice in the middle of a round.

I'll see if I lose battery life using yes/no vs 8 sec hold of power button mid-week.

Hello Everybody,

I have experienced the battery discharge after tuning it off only once and it hasn't happened again. I always have used the menu option to turn off the unit but to be safe I guess I will hold down the power button from now on. Upro CS also e-mailed me a link and instructions to upgrade my unit to the new software which I did. They say it is only a Mac fix but using it in preview mode I have not been able to make the unit lock up so who knows. The one thing I am sure of is this unit is great on the course. It is awesome to be able to quickly use basic mode and then switch to Pro mode if needed. Just keep those courses coming we need em!

so anyone now able to sync this thing with a Mac?

I’m very interested in this unit but will only be using it on a Mac.

for those who have one and have already reported a review, would love to see a follow up after another 6-12 rounds.

I’m concerned about the lighting in Pro mode. I play in Texas, usually pretty sunny.

Also a bit concerned about ease of use. Watched the demo and while it whetted my appetite, it’s so feature rich that I wonder if it’s hard to keep track of what buttons to push to access which features. I’m a pretty tech savvy guy but just watching the demo I got confused. I guess once you use it a few times you start to get the feel of it, just want to make sure I'm not standing around pushing buttons and holding up play.

I've gotten the "disconnected" message and the windows sounds (using xp) which indicate that the device is disconnected who's loading courses almost everytime I sync the device. I sometimes get the messages several times during a sync, but the courses always (so far after six courses) install fine. I just close the program like adobe picture viewer that starts to read the memory card each time. It seems to be just a nusance. I haven't experienced the power drain when turning off via the device prompts, but I tried the eight second power button press and I saw a ghost image on the device after it shut down. Just got the gps so I'll go back to the normal shutdown and see how the power lasts. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but when I don't have anything to red its nice using pro preview to run through a couple of the courses that I've played and exploring the ones I'll b getting around to this year.

My UPRO arrived on Jul 1st. Had no problem getting it initialized and setting up an account (Windows Vista), and downloading a few courses. Only the high-end courses in my city (San Antonio) are available. Wish, I had checked this out first. I'm lucky in that the the course I played today is one of them. Here are my preliminary thoughts:

. I'm a bit concerned about durability. I used to drop my SkyCaddie all the time with not problem. UPRO really needs a high impact case.

. Fly-Over has minimal benefit on the course. Mainly because the contrast in not good enough to know what you're looking at in bright light.

. It locked up on me one time on the first tee. Had to pop the battery and it worked fine the rest of the day.

. Did use Pro-Mode a few times to measure lay-up and carry distances. Pretty cool!

. All in all, I like it. A lot more functions than the SkyCaddie. But, if lock-ups become a problem or if more couses don't show up online soon, I may have to rethink this.

. I have to admit that I still found myself using my laser rangefinder more than the UPRO. Best of both worlds would be if Bushnell or UPLAY made an adapter so that the upro would snap on to the pinseeker.

I posted the following earlier on this thread....

"What kind of bothers me is the unit going into sleep mode. I changed it to 45 seconds as others have suggested...but...

If it goes into sleep mode...say as you finish up on a green...when you head to the next tee box...I either get the "what hole are you on prompt" from the Upro or I have to go into the settings and reset the hole. Very annoying!"

I recieved the following reply from uPlay when i addressed this issue to their support group....

"We are aware of the sleep issue. The best advice I can give you right now is that when you are walking to the next tee box you can keep the unit awake by going through the menus.

That will keep it locked to the satellite and updated. "

Just thought I'd provide an update.

Titleist 917D 9*

Titleist 917F 15*
Titleist 917F 18*

Mizuno 223 4 iron thru GW

Mizuno 225 3 iron 

Mizuno T22 46*/52*/58*

Sik Pro Putter

Seemore Z Series Limited Edition Putter

Big Max Dri Lite Hybrid Tour

Ecco Golf Shoes

"We are aware of the sleep issue. The best advice I can give you right now is that when you are walking to the next tee box you can keep the unit awake by going through the menus.

OK, help me understand this issue in terms of usability. Here’s the scenario: I'm standing on the tee box. I use the flyover feature and then maybe go to the basic mode to see hazard distances. Then I put it back in my pocket and tee off. After my playing partners tee off, we walk or ride to our balls. I pull out the uPro again to now check my distances to various parts of the greens and to clear greenside bunkers. When I pull out the uPro, will it simply ‘wake up’ and know which hole I'm on and where I'm at?

Then, after I hit I put it back in my pocket, get to the green and finish up, and then walk to the next tee box. When I get there, I pull out the uPro again to now review the next hole. What do I see now?

Help me understand uPro’s behavior in these two scenarios. If it automatically wakes up and knows where I'm at and gives me what I want without any fiddling, great. If I have to either use settings to reset which hole I'm on or artificially mess with it to keep it ‘awake’, then this is not the device for me. I want a tool that gives me the information I want without being a distraction. To have to do either of the above would, for me, be absolutely unacceptable.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding this issue, but there is no freaking way I'm toggling through menu items just to keep it awake as I walk from hole to hole.

The more I read about the uPro, the more reservations I have about purchasing one. There just seem to be too many issues...battery draining, locking up, sleep mode, unable to see screen in sunlight, Mac compatibility, ....

I already have one on back-order, but now I'm thinking about canceling the order. Any thoughts from current owners on whether I should cancel or not.

After teeing off, the unit will go into sleep mode.

The unit will not "automatically wake up" when you pull it out of your pocket. You will need to press one button (the "u" button) to re-activate the unit.

It is best that you do this just as you approach your ball. This gives the unit time to acquire the satellites and have an accurate reading (this applies to all gps units).

I made the mistake of waking up the unit after I got to the ball. This caused the Upro to give erroneous readings for the drive distances. I now wake up the unit about 10 yards before I reach the ball.

When you walk from green to tee, press the "u" button to wake up the unit. The unit will ask you if you want to play the next hole. (you must have auto hole advance feature turned on). If you do not have auto hole advance on, you will have to press a few buttons to manually change the hole. I always use auto hole advance.

Note: I don't use the Upro for every shot, or every hole. In that case, you may have to manually tell the Upro what hole you are on. It only takes a few seconds to do this.

OK, help me understand this issue in terms of usability. Here's the scenario: I'm standing on the tee box. I use the flyover feature and then maybe go to the basic mode to see hazard distances. Then I put it back in my pocket and tee off. After my playing partners tee off, we walk or ride to our balls. I pull out the uPro again to now check my distances to various parts of the greens and to clear greenside bunkers. When I pull out the uPro, will it simply 'wake up' and know which hole I'm on and where I'm at?

Then, after I hit I put it back in my pocket, get to the green and finish up, and then walk to the next tee box. When I get there, I pull out the uPro again to now review the next hole. What do I see now?

Help me understand uPro's behavior in these two scenarios. If it automatically wakes up and knows where I'm at and gives me what I want without any fiddling, great. If I have to either use settings to reset which hole I'm on or artificially mess with it to keep it 'awake', then this is not the device for me. I want a tool that gives me the information I want without being a distraction. To have to do either of the above would, for me, be absolutely unacceptable.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding this issue, but there is no freaking way I'm toggling through menu items just to keep it awake as I walk from hole to hole.

To answer your first question...from my experience the unit would "wake up" and know the unit is on the correct hole.

The problem being what you described in your second question. By the time you are at the next tee box the unit is either still on the last hole or asking you if you are on the next hole. This is the only issue I have with the uPro. I really like the unit overall...it has more features than the SkyCaddie...but the sleep mode is an issue that needs to be addressed immediately! I want to concentrate on my game, conversation, and/or my beer between holes. I don't want to be fumbling with the unit trying to keep it locked on a satelite.

No problem for me if the unit is asking me if I'm on the next hole...you press YES and you're on your way. But to have to go into the SETTINGS to manual correct the hole location is unacceptable. That was the beauty of the Skycaddie. You turned in on at the beginning of the round and for the next 18 holes it was always aware of where you were and what hole you were on.

Hopefully uPlay is going to get this corrected....I just received another email from the Support Group which I'll post...

Titleist 917D 9*

Titleist 917F 15*
Titleist 917F 18*

Mizuno 225 3 iron 

Mizuno T22 46*/52*/58*

Sik Pro Putter

Ecco Golf Shoes

I replied to uPlay as follows:

"Is this an issue that uPlay will be addressing? Future firmware upgrade? To me this a big issue."

uPlay Support reply:

"I should have some more info about this later this week. I’ll get back to you."

We shall see what uPlay's next response will be...I'll keep the board posted. I don't want to alarm or scare off potential buyers of the unit...I'm confident the issue will be corrected. It's a good unit...just has a glitch or two that needs to be corrected.

Again, I have not had any problems at all with the unit besides the "sleep mode" issue. I have had no lock ups, the unit has been responsive and very accurate.

Titleist 917D 9*

Titleist 917F 15*
Titleist 917F 18*

Mizuno 225 3 iron 

Mizuno T22 46*/52*/58*

Sik Pro Putter

Ecco Golf Shoes

I haven't had any major issues with my unit.

- No battery drain problems (I recharge the night before my round). Still have 50% battery life after the round.

- Bright sunlight will be a slight problem, but not a major one. I shade the screen with my hand, or turn so my shadow is over the unit. The only difficult I had was that the water hazards were "dark". Got used to this pretty quickly.

- Mac issues. I don't have a Mac. The connect/disconnect issues with Windows is a nuisance problem and does not affect the download at all.

- Locking up. I am watching out for this. I have used my unit for 5 rounds, and the unit locked up one time yesterday. I powered off/on and didn't have a problem again. Not sure whether this was a true lockup, or signal acquisition problem (I was playing in a wooded area). I will be keeping track of this on future rounds and report to Upro if it happens more often.

Most of the problems above are minor inconveniences. Luckily, I have many mapped courses in my area (San Francisco Bay Area).

Now, let's discuss the plusses, which I feel outweigh the minor issues listed above.

Course preview - I played a new course yesterday, and was able to preview my round the night before.

Course view/map - The course I played on was unfamiliar to me, and had many doglegs and elevation changes. I couldn't see my landing zone in many cases. The Upro enabled me to "see" where I would be hitting. I didn't have to drive up to the see the landing area.

Green/hazard tags - Upro maps many, many hazards on their map. Even so, some hazards cannot be defined very well. For example, a creek that lines the left side of the fairway. I'm not sure how icons can appropriately define this kind of hazard. The visual of the hole very valuable.

So far, the benefits outweigh the minuses.

I suppose that if I only played courses that I was very familiar with, then the Upro would be of limited use (only to gauge distances to known hazards and the green). Because I tend to play a variety of courses, and courses that I don't play frequently, the Upro has been useful to my game.

Now, let's discuss the plusses, which I feel outweigh the minor issues listed above.

Course preview - I played a new course yesterday, and was able to preview my round the night before.

Course view/map - The course I played on was unfamiliar to me, and had many doglegs and elevation changes. I couldn't see my landing zone in many cases. The Upro enabled me to "see" where I would be hitting. I didn't have to drive up to the see the landing area.

I really wanted to try the Sono V300 and I only had a chance to use the Upro 3 times. I really loved the measure mode and don't think I want another gps device without this feature. It's a great feature and the mapped course doesn't need every hazard although the Upro guys do a great job with mapping. I also feel the little annoyances are nothing compared to the great job it does on the course. I was going to keep my SG 2.5, but it's going and I'm gettin' one of my own.

I have used my unit 4 times now. Has not frozen up at all. I have not had the battery drain problem others have described. I do get the reset issue when it is updating the courses, but as others have said, it doesn't affect the course down loads.

As far as the unit in bright sunlight, it is difficult to see the flyover, but the numbers in basic mode are very easy to see, and the numbers in pro mode are easy to see as well. I don't have issue with the distances...they seem to be right on when compared to sprinkler heads.

The sleep mode is a minor pain, but all I have had to do is hit the u button and it comes right back on...giving it a few seconds to get the distance right (you can see the distance adjusting while you stand there for a few seconds), and its not that difficult to hit the yes button when going to the next hole.

The mark distance feature is great as well...bet a lot of people are seeing their 300 yard drives shrink in distance.

I also liked being able to preview the course the night before. Nice to plan ahead.

Hi, Ive used mine about 4 times on various courses. The yardages are even more accurate than the yardage posts in some cases, especially if theres a bend in the fairway. The sleep mode doesnt bother me, I dont need the upro all the time, and I dont think many do, so when you hit the u button its wakes up immediately, I often do this when its still in my pocket. The advantages of planning a round, or seeing whats up there, if you dont know the course outweighs the minor glitches that we have all discussed here. I do wish it would know when ive finished a hole, but i think with the new scoring tracker, once your score is noted, it will probably shift to the next hole automatically, at least thats what im hoping. There is NO doubt that this is a great device and help. If you dont want the pro mode because its difficult to see, turn it off, and use just the basic mode. Its then the same as SC or golf logix. Certainly no worse. I think with this we all get a little more. Its new and maybe we are in a sense guinea pigs, but its great on the course for a new product, and I have faith they will make it better.

Great information on the uPro. Still waiting for mine to ship. Ordered it 11 days ago with a supposed ship date of 7/8. Now the ship date is indefinite. Hope I get it before the golf season ends. Are these selling so fast that uPro can't keep up with demand or is the delay due to fixing bugs on current and new uPros before shipping the latest batch to stores?

so anyone now able to sync this thing with a Mac?

I’m very interested in this unit but will only be using it on a Mac.

for those who have one and have already reported a review, would love to see a follow up after another 6-12 rounds.

I’m concerned about the lighting in Pro mode. I play in Texas, usually pretty sunny.

Also a bit concerned about ease of use. Watched the demo and while it whetted my appetite, it’s so feature rich that I wonder if it’s hard to keep track of what buttons to push to access which features. I’m a pretty tech savvy guy but just watching the demo I got confused. I guess once you use it a few times you start to get the feel of it, just want to make sure I'm not standing around pushing buttons and holding up play.

I received my uPro last week.

Connection to Mac took a while to show in Finder, maybe 10 - 15 mins but was doing other things at the time so didn't pay too much attention. Once connected, things went smooth. Sync took maybe an hour to download two courses.

As my real home course was already available, I used my 4 day mapping guarantee to request another course I play regularly. Mapping was complete by morning of the 9th, bang on the 4 working days.

When connecting to Mac to sync the new course, took about 2 min to show in Finder.

Was able to use once last weekend. Very impressed. Yardage's were spot on (funny how many sprinkler heads I landed beside and if I could do that regular, I could have saved myself 400 bucks). Auto hole advance didn't seem to work if the unit went into sleep while on the previous green, but one hit of the up button while in basic mode moves to next hole. Didn't experience any lockups or any other problems.

Don't worry about ease of use, online demo makes it appear a bit more complicated than it really is. If you can use an iPod, you can use the UPro.

I am also playing in Texas, and lighting in Pro mode wasn't a big problem. Just like any other screen in bright sun, you just need to shield with your hand sometimes.

My golfin' buddy was so impressed, he bought his own this week. Both uPro's will be subjected to further testing tomorrow.......

Just a note on the auto hole feature not appearing to work...Assuming you have that feature enabled which is the default, then it will always prompt you to answer Yes to select the next hole. The reason for this is they want you to be on or close to the next tee box so you can use the flyover. It's a little different thinking than what the SC or Golflogix do and maybe some others but it does make sense if you use the Pro mode.

I didn't like that feature at first but after speaking with Upro I now understand the reasoning behind the design.

I just logged my 6th round with the Upro.

No battery drain problems encountered yet (even when using power down menu).

I did have a minor issue with initial satellite acquisition on power up.

The Upro showed fluctuation signal strength. (yardage at "999")

I backed up to the "Play/Settings" screen and re-selected the course.

I still had fluctuating signal strength.

Went to Settings and "reset gps" and I got strong signal acquisition immediately, along with correct yardage information.

No problem for the rest of the round. (no lockup, etc...)

Mainly used basic mode since I played a familiar, local course.

I haven't seen many posts regarding lockup problems lately.

Anyone having difficulty?

Are people getting upgraded software?

My software seems to be working fine so far.

You may want to think twice before ordering. I keep seeing the dates for the courses I play getting later and later. They're not going the right way. It'll be snowing again before I get the courses I want here!!!!!!!!! Not good.

That hasn't been my experience!

I've had my uPro for about three weeks now. When I bought the unit, I requested my home course and received it in 4 days and requested another 10-12 courses in my local area (Sacramento, CA). A few days later the courses I requested now had availibility dates. I noted the availibility dates that were listed in a spreadsheet. I just checked the course listings today and I was very pleased.

Every single course I'm following has now moved up 3-4 months. Many were originally listed as available in Oct. or Nov. 2008. Everyone of these course is now showing available later on this month or in August. A couple were available now.

So, I'd be very pleased if these date stand true. If so, I'd have the 8-10 course I play the most in about 2 months time. That's not bad at all!

Titleist 917D 9*

Titleist 917F 15*
Titleist 917F 18*

Mizuno 225 3 iron 

Mizuno T22 46*/52*/58*

Sik Pro Putter

Ecco Golf Shoes

I haven't had any problem with getting courses either.

Most of the local courses in my area are already mapped. (San Francisco/San Jose, CA).

I guess it depends on the area.

As others have said, just put your requests in and the dates should get moved up.

If you feel that the mapping dates are not reasonable or realistic, give customer service a call. They have been very receptive to questions, inquiries, feedback, etc...