Adams xtd forged irons

SwooshLT

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1427743716' post='11247001']
[quote name='proamateur' timestamp='1427740729' post='11246615']
Not sure re the tour presence but I tried them during an exhaustive irons test last year and they actually made the final 2, the other iron being the AP2. I thought the XTD was a great iron. Loved the C-Taper (which was probably a big part of it) and the head shapes/sizes were about right, but there was something artificial about the feel. It was... springy? I was really nitpicking, but it just felt like the AP2s (for comparison purposes) were more 'solid'.

Make no mistake, if someone said they were going to try a set or were thinking of getting some, I'd definitely give a positive review. Hope that helps somebody here.
[/quote]

And this was the xtd forged model correct? Did the springy feel lead to inconsistent distances in your opinion?

[/quote]

Yeah, XTD Forged. Didn't necessarily lead to inconsistent distances, but it just felt like there wasn't quite as much feedback as other irons. I admit that I was probably swayed slightly by the reliability and reputation of the AP2s, but again, I wittled it down from about 15 different irons (everything from Miura to Callaway to Cobra) to just the XTD Forged and the AP2 so they are nothing but an excellent club which I recommend should be included in any serious golfers iron test.

[quote name='proamateur' timestamp='1427748896' post='11247527']
Not sure re the tour presence but I tried them during an exhaustive irons test last year and they actually made the final 2, the other iron being the AP2. I thought the XTD was a great iron. Loved the C-Taper (which was probably a big part of it) and the head shapes/sizes were about right, but there was something artificial about the feel. It was... springy? I was really nitpicking, but it just felt like the AP2s (for comparison purposes) were more 'solid'.

Make no mistake, if someone said they were going to try a set or were thinking of getting some, I'd definitely give a positive review. Hope that helps somebody here.
[/quote]

And this was the xtd forged model correct? Did the springy feel lead to inconsistent distances in your opinion?

[/quote]

Yeah, XTD Forged. Didn't necessarily lead to inconsistent distances, but it just felt like there wasn't quite as much feedback as other irons. I admit that I was probably swayed slightly by the reliability and reputation of the AP2s, but again, I wittled it down from about 15 different irons (everything from Miura to Callaway to Cobra) to just the XTD Forged and the AP2 so they are nothing but an excellent club which I recommend should be included in any serious golfers iron test.
[/quote]

Do you think the lack of feedback was in the shaft? I'm getting mine with rip tour 115g graphite.

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1427749923' post='11247639']
[quote name='proamateur' timestamp='1427748896' post='11247527']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you think the lack of feedback was in the shaft? I'm getting mine with rip tour 115g graphite.
[/quote]

Considering the clubs tested all had the exact same shaft in the C-Taper 130 (my favourite), no, I do not think this is the case. RIP Tour 115 graphite will clearly have a very different feel. Perhaps better... perhaps worse!

So I took mine out on their first legit range session on Saturday... These things are HOT!! They look so good at address and with the steel fiber shafts, they fly so straight! I love the feel and I'm pretty sure I've gained a few yards off of my previous set of Ping i20's. I highly doubt they're going anywhere for a while but I may need to stock up on another set just in case!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

I'm the OP and finally got to use these on course. ....initially with the RIP Tour graphite 115g shafts there was a glassy,brittle sensation that had my head spinning. ....

Thinking I made the wrong decision ,I consulted with a few good friends (thanks Chris!) and decided not to have early buyers remorse. I went to a local executive course where I could use my irons almost exclusively and put them somewhat of a test.

Overall the feel was night and day.....not sure how but complete 180* ......fairly breezy day and I still saw a solid flight.

Needless to say this new found feel combined with the looks which drew me in adding the high performance, these will get an extended opportunity. ......glad I didn't push the panic button!

I traded my Diablo forged for a used set of these with Project X 5.5s and I could not be happier. I have only one round under my belt with them but I can't wait to get out there again. Solid feel great look at address and enough forgiveness for me. I will post more after more range time and rounds.

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

So I've had a set of these for about the last month with the Aldila RIP Tour 115 in S-flex and I'm pretty happy with them. Went to graphite due to shoulder and elbow issues and these have been great. To all those who are worried about the RIP Tour playing stiff to flex, I'd say don't worry if you're used to/can play DG S300s. Reading all the reviews on the RIP Tours, I was hesitant to pull the trigger but went ahead and have no regrets. RIP Tours kill vibration nicely on off-center shots, have a higher ballflight for me than the S300 without any loss of yardage. The only issue is I'm used to moving the ball a little more and these tend to minimize movement. All in all, for the price you can get these at, unbeatable deal.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='zenman4711' timestamp='1428772947' post='11334397']
So I've had a set of these for about the last month with the Aldila RIP Tour 115 in S-flex and I'm pretty happy with them. Went to graphite due to shoulder and elbow issues and these have been great. To all those who are worried about the RIP Tour playing stiff to flex, I'd say don't worry if you're used to/can play DG S300s. Reading all the reviews on the RIP Tours, I was hesitant to pull the trigger but went ahead and have no regrets. RIP Tours kill vibration nicely on off-center shots, have a higher ballflight for me than the S300 without any loss of yardage. The only issue is I'm used to moving the ball a little more and these tend to minimize movement. All in all, for the price you can get these at, unbeatable deal.
[/quote]

I got mine with regular flex Rip Tour 115g graphite. .....they came 1/2" over graphite standard so 1" over steel length....swingweight comes in at d-3 .....trouble is too much hook/draw ...feeling like Kenny Perry with the sweeper.....gripping down an inch or so......i have pxi shafts coming(hopefully) so they'd better tighten up!

• 1 month later...

A little recent history. I've been playing Cobra Pro CB for 8 years. Tried some stuff over the years but nothing could knock the Pro's out. I recently thought of leaving golf behind because I play so infrequently it became frustrating when I did play. I sold off the Pro's, the wedges, woods, putter (my only mistake here).

Fast forward a couple months and I'm hoeing again. Picked up a set of Adams CMB that we're pretty good but shorter than my Pros so I sold those and picked up some I25's, G30 driver, glide wedges....the works in a package deal. Really thought the i25's were going to be good for me as a GI club. Not the case. Dumped it all and decided to give the Adams XTD Forged set a try. I figured I could get into 4-LW new for less than $500 and just leave them in the bag in case I decided to play. Let me tell you, they are money for me. I haven't been this confident with my irons in a loooong time.

They feel great, the wedges and short irons have great control while the long irons get up easily and hold their line very well. Love the C-Taper. The swing weight fits me very well (coming from S300 for 25 years.) Great looking set compared to the gaudy stuff out there now. If you're reasonably comfortable with a players size head...they're worth the $ to give them a shot imo.

Ping G400 LST 10* Rogue Max 65G S
Ping G400 3 W 15*  Rogue Max 80G S

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-P $Taper 120 S
Odyssey Rossie II 35"

Just played in a member-guest over the weekend. 45 holes of golf in 3 days got me pretty familiar with them. Mine are shafted with Steelfiber Players Spec ami 99 shafts and they felt awesome! Pretty good trajectory and missed shots didn't feel bad. Workable for sure both ways.

I had 3 par 3's that I knocked it to within 5 feet (2 birdies one par). Overall, they're about as long as my previous set of ping i20's but just a lot more pleasing to my eye. I had a few guys come up to me and just stare at the clubs and say "whoa, I didn't know they made such sweet looking irons!"

These will be in my bag for quite a while I think.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

[quote name='pierso2' timestamp='1432670819' post='11630524']
Just played in a member-guest over the weekend. 45 holes of golf in 3 days got me pretty familiar with them. Mine are shafted with Steelfiber Players Spec ami 99 shafts and they felt awesome! Pretty good trajectory and missed shots didn't feel bad. Workable for sure both ways.

I had 3 par 3's that I knocked it to within 5 feet (2 birdies one par). Overall, they're about as long as my previous set of ping i20's but just a lot more pleasing to my eye. I had a few guys come up to me and just stare at the clubs and say "whoa, I didn't know they made such sweet looking irons!"

[/quote]

Very nice to hear this! I played 9 holes with my set with recoil Proto's and really liked what I saw. Took a few swings to get used to coming from dgs300 but started hitting some sweet shots and an unreal 5 iron that was the longest I have ever hit on that particular hole. I went on vacation the day after and headed back tonight and will get out another 2 rounds by Sunday. Perfect blend of size, looks and feel with some nice tech/forgiveness. They can be had for pretty cheap as well. I think they didn't get much love due to the fact they were shafted with C Taper which does not fit the majority of swings.

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

[quote name='mtex22' timestamp='1432672017' post='11630664']

[/quote]

Very nice to hear this! I played 9 holes with my set with recoil Proto's and really liked what I saw. Took a few swings to get used to coming from dgs300 but started hitting some sweet shots and an unreal 5 iron that was the longest I have ever hit on that particular hole. I went on vacation the day after and headed back tonight and will get out another 2 rounds by Sunday. Perfect blend of size, looks and feel with some nice tech/forgiveness. They can be had for pretty cheap as well. I think they didn't get much love due to the fact they were shafted with C Taper which does not fit the majority of swings.
[/quote]

My only concern with mine is that the swing weight is just a bit too light causing some tempo issues and then a big ole draw. Might put a bit of lead tape on them but they're not bad now that I'm used to them! I bet the recoils are a bit heavier.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[quote name='pierso2' timestamp='1432673221' post='11630790']

[/quote]

[/quote]

My only concern with mine is that the swing weight is just a bit too light causing some tempo issues and then a big ole draw. Might put a bit of lead tape on them but they're not bad now that I'm used to them! I bet the recoils are a bit heavier.
[/quote]

Mine was apparently tour van built and are all D2 with "firm" inserts? Not sure what those are but will get them checked out at the shop

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Played another 9 holes after work and after a 10 day vacation hiatus. Took me quite a few swings on the range to get into them but once I got on the course I hit some of the sweetest irons I have hit in a while. I love the size of the heads and for me paired with the recoil proto's seem to be a perfect match. I took some real easy swings and they just go with nice trajectory (higher than kbs or dg) and distance. I can also get into the recoils with all I got and they hold well. The thing I am realizing is I don't need to do that and just trust the swing and they go! I love the feel of the heads and the tungsten/speed pockets provide good forgiveness but still are packaged in a tight compact head with a slim sole. I am coming from J15cb and Z745 and they were nice heads but I was not a fan of the huge soles. Good stuff so far and I am really enjoying this combo.

[quote name='mtex22' timestamp='1432876597' post='11648000']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Played another 9 holes after work and after a 10 day vacation hiatus. Took me quite a few swings on the range to get into them but once I got on the course I hit some of the sweetest irons I have hit in a while. I love the size of the heads and for me paired with the recoil proto's seem to be a perfect match. I took some real easy swings and they just go with nice trajectory (higher than kbs or dg) and distance. I can also get into the recoils with all I got and they hold well. The thing I am realizing is I don't need to do that and just trust the swing and they go! I love the feel of the heads and the tungsten/speed pockets provide good forgiveness but still are packaged in a tight compact head with a slim sole. I am coming from J15cb and Z745 and they were nice heads but I was not a fan of the huge soles. Good stuff so far and I am really enjoying this combo.
[/quote]

So finally got 18 in with these bad boys!! Not sure if its the heads/shafts or just the combo of both but had the best iron stricking day I have ever had which led to my lowest round ever at Torrey Pines North a 74!! I hit these irons, higher, longer and more accurate. Granted I have been playing well of late but I know I have never hit my irons so far and carried them so far with a smoother swing. Im curious how wedges with recoil proto's would play as well.

[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1427495156' post='11230415']
Yeah gonna keep it under the tmag umbrella! But valid points by you guys so hopefully they work as expected. .....anyone else?
[/quote]

they werent everyones cup of tee but in my opinion the marketing was badly done and they overpriced themselves in that club category. its a quality product like most adams stuff but it fell through the cracks after the purchase of adams by tmag.I played a round with my assistant pros set ( he was a staffer) and couldnt say anything bad about them, they just werent enough for me to bump my current or back up set.

So finally got 18 in with these bad boys!! Not sure if its the heads/shafts or just the combo of both but had the best iron stricking day I have ever had which led to my lowest round ever at Torrey Pines North a 74!! I hit these irons, higher, longer and more accurate. Granted I have been playing well of late but I know I have never hit my irons so far and carried them so far with a smoother swing. Im curious how wedges with recoil proto's would play as well.

congrats always keep pushing to score better i love hearing stuff like this, its what golf is about

[quote name='TMAG-firemedic' timestamp='1429643257' post='11409165']
[quote name='zenman4711' timestamp='1428772947' post='11334397']
[/quote]

I got mine with regular flex Rip Tour 115g graphite. .....they came 1/2" over graphite standard so 1" over steel length....swingweight comes in at d-3 .....trouble is too much hook/draw ...feeling like Kenny Perry with the sweeper.....gripping down an inch or so......i have pxi shafts coming(hopefully) so they'd better tighten up!
[/quote]

they will, even if you grip down its too soft for you and the lie angle is changing dramatically on every shot with an extra 1". you have to cheat and hit push draws, not fun

• 3 weeks later...

3 more rounds with my set....the only trouble I have is adjusting to the distances. No exaggeration, 1 full club longer than my Cobra Pro CB (same loft). The C-tapers are money for me...my only real miss is an over aggressive swing and a pull. Reasonable forgiving imo. The setup is very easy to look at 4-LW. Now if I could just putt.

Ping G400 LST 10* Rogue Max 65G S
Ping G400 3 W 15*  Rogue Max 80G S

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-P $Taper 120 S
Odyssey Rossie II 35"

• 2 months later...

My whole bag is Adams XTD except for my driver, putter and lob wedge. Love that you can get the same club all the way to lob wedge if you want. Mine are 4-S with the stock C-taper 120 in stiff with the stock Iomic grips and love everything about the whole stock set up. They set up great at address. The technology is concealed really well but it's definitely there and miss hits are not punished much but feedback is there so you know where on the face you missed. My scores have been consistently lower since switching from Cobra Amp Cell forged. Gonna be hard to replace.