Colorado WRX 2015

pseudoswede

Haymaker was in fantastic shape (due to all of the rain). It was also extremely soggy (again, due to all of the rain).

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1432668409' post='11630248']
I wish the Wellshire Men's League random draw two man best ball was scheduled for this Sunday instead of Saturday. Looks like sat should be rainy, but the weather could push through for us, hopefully. But Sunday appears to be beautiful in the forecast right now. Was just out there yesterday for a morning round and the course was still soggy in areas, but it's really healthy and the greens are in fantastic condition right now. I think you guys will have a fun time on Sunday!
[/quote]

My weather app now says Saturday will be sunny and upper-60's. Great for you, and great for me since we're having a garage sale (and the kids' lemonade stand).

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1432759671' post='11638084']
Steamboat is a bit far for a day trip, but it's certainly on my list of courses to play.
[/quote]

lol ... I was just noting that the mountain courses should be in great shape. I saw glimpses of Raven when we were driving through Silverthorne last Friday. It looked nice and green from what I saw.

Ahh, noted! My birthday isn't until mid June, so I imagine the courses will be in decent shape by then....hopefully.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1432759708' post='11638092'][quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1432668409' post='11630248']
I wish the Wellshire Men's League random draw two man best ball was scheduled for this Sunday instead of Saturday. Looks like sat should be rainy, but the weather could push through for us, hopefully. But Sunday appears to be beautiful in the forecast right now. Was just out there yesterday for a morning round and the course was still soggy in areas, but it's really healthy and the greens are in fantastic condition right now. I think you guys will have a fun time on Sunday!
[/quote]

My weather app now says Saturday will be sunny and upper-60's. Great for you, and great for me since we're having a garage sale (and the kids' lemonade stand).[/quote]

Fingers crossed it stays nice!

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Wellshire: One of the most unsatisfying rounds ever. Hit only 3/18 fairways and 5/18 greens, yet I still shot an 81 for low net honors. Took down $135 in league money (low net, CTP on 9*, won Nassau bet, and 2nd in cart bet).

Also beat a 2-handicap in match play 7&5. The guy is normally a par shooter, but he shanked three shots today--totally not him.

I must say that #10 is ridiculous now. Need to carry it 290 to clear the pond and junk; and laying up off the tee with a 7-iron is just silly. All it's going to do is slow down the round. I drove it into the GUR on #1 instead.

* - we were 20 players in the tourney. None of us hit 2 or 14. I did get a sandie on #2, but that doesn't win anything.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433106675' post='11662124']
Wellshire: One of the most unsatisfying rounds ever. Hit only 3/18 fairways and 5/18 greens, yet I still shot an 81 for low net honors. Took down $135 in league money (low net, CTP on 9*, won Nassau bet, and 2nd in cart bet).

Also beat a 2-handicap in match play 7&5. The guy is normally a par shooter, but he shanked three shots today--totally not him.

I must say that #10 is ridiculous now. Need to carry it 290 to clear the pond and junk; and laying up off the tee with a 7-iron is just silly. All it's going to do is slow down the round. I drove it into the GUR on #1 instead.

* - we were 20 players in the tourney. None of us hit 2 or 14. I did get a sandie on #2, but that doesn't win anything.
[/quote]

10 is a total disaster right now. They say starting today that it will be played as a par 3, meaning 3 par 3s in a row, and the course will be a par 69. That really upsets me. I think 10 is a quirky hole but at least as a 5 it makes you think. Lay up to the bottom of the hill with an 8 or try to bomb one over or to 1 with driver? I usually lay up with 8 iron, then hit 6, 7, or 8 and go from there. There must be a better solution than making the tee box at the 150 marker and calling it a 3. That just seems lazy and boring. I would suggest the tee box at the bottom of the hill and make it another short par 4 like hole 8 is.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433168198' post='11665776']
10 is a total disaster right now. They say starting today that it will be played as a par 3, meaning 3 par 3s in a row, and the course will be a par 69. That really upsets me. I think 10 is a quirky hole but at least as a 5 it makes you think. Lay up to the bottom of the hill with an 8 or try to bomb one over or to 1 with driver? I usually lay up with 8 iron, then hit 6, 7, or 8 and go from there. There must be a better solution than making the tee box at the 150 marker and calling it a 3. That just seems lazy and boring. I would suggest the tee box at the bottom of the hill and make it another short par 4 like hole 8 is.
[/quote]

Yikes. That sounds awful. I would hope they could setup a tee box that allowed for a 200/220yd carry over the pond/junk and bump it down to a par 4. Make it a decent risk/reward for the average golfer.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433172939' post='11666414']
[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433168198' post='11665776']
[/quote]

Yikes. That sounds awful. I would hope they could setup a tee box that allowed for a 200/220yd carry over the pond/junk and bump it down to a par 4. Make it a decent risk/reward for the average golfer.
[/quote]

That is what I am hoping for. I think they are still working out an agreement for tourney play. Hoping they keep it as a 5 for tourneys or at worst make it a drivable par 4 from just over the pond.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1433215441' post='11671950']
I take it the pond is has flooded the hole pretty good due to rain? I felt #10 and #18 made for two solid 5s on the back.
[/quote]

Actually, no. It's pretty soggy in that valley area, but not flooded. Ironically, the lake on #17 is totally drained.

#18 is a crazy difficult finishing hole. I feel great if I can escape with a par.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433216097' post='11672016'][quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1433215441' post='11671950']
I take it the pond is has flooded the hole pretty good due to rain? I felt #10 and #18 made for two solid 5s on the back.
[/quote]

Actually, no. It's pretty soggy in that valley area, but not flooded. Ironically, the lake on #17 is totally drained.

#18 is a crazy difficult finishing hole. I feel great if I can escape with a par.[/quote]

We were told it's a city of Denver decision for safety bc tee balls from 10 are ending up on 1 more often. Among other things like fixing the dam and re doing the range, which would take years.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

I need to learn how to putt...

I played fairly well yesterday at Kennedy - Babe/Creek. Shot 43/43 with +5 on the last 2 holes (I think I just got tired and put a terrible swing after a great tee shot on 17, which led to a triple, then an OB after a stupid decision off the tee on 18). I haven't played there in 8+ years so I couldn't remember anything from the course which would have been helpful on a few holes. It's not an overly tough course, but had some bad luck on the front with trees, one of which I hit a 3-4" wide tree square - I couldn't help but laugh at that one.

My short game saved me overall, but I probably missed 7+ 4-10' putts (a few of them for birdies, which I had none of...sigh) and had terrible distance control leaving me with 2 3-putts for a total of 36 putts. I really need to work on my putting to shave off 3-4 strokes per round. Frustrating!

Edel E-1

Can anyone recommend a South Denver course that is easily walkable and I could finish 18 if I start at 4pm on Sunday? The only thing that pops into my mind is The Links at Highlands Ranch. Taking other suggestions. Could be 1-4 golfers.

Just noticed that the Links is booked between 3:30-5:00. Phooey.

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433256431' post='11674188']
pseudo--South Suburban? Aurora Hills? Lone Tree? (Not a great walk but totally walkable) How far south we talkin?
[/quote]

Sorry, I meant the southern 'burbs. Lone Tree is too expensive--especially with the risk of not being able to finish. Saddle Rock is only $37, but it's a pretty brutal walk.

I actually might be able to swing a 3:15-ish tee time, and South Suburban is very tempting. I may book now and see what else might open up.

I have not played Aurora Hills myself but hear it's an easy walk and pretty easy but nice course. Could be an option. But it's out in Aurora.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Meadow Hills is a great course.

Maybe I should invite thaar out to South Suburban on Sunday. Then he'll really know what putting woes are. :D

hahaha, I doubt your putting is that bad at a 10.2! If you need a 4th, let me know...I live just north of Parker, so I'm not that far from there and think I could get away.

Edel E-1

As seven dewey can attest, my putting [b]is[/b] the reason I'm a 10.2! Actually, I'm a 10.5 right now. If I could actually putt the ball, I would easily be closer to a 7.

I was a 6/7-handicap 11 years ago. I could get up-and-down with the best of them. Sadly, that skill disappeared after two kids and seven years of grad school. That said, I still couldn't hit a birdie putt outside 5 feet to save my life.

Haha, darn kids! I'm finally finding time to practice and play now that my kids are a bit older. I'm hoping this is the year I can get my game back on track!

Edel E-1

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433261695' post='11674874']
As seven dewey can attest, my putting [b]is[/b] the reason I'm a 10.2! Actually, I'm a 10.5 right now. If I could actually putt the ball, I would easily be closer to a 7.

I was a 6/7-handicap 11 years ago. I could get up-and-down with the best of them. Sadly, that skill disappeared after two kids and seven years of grad school. That said, I still couldn't hit a birdie putt outside 5 feet to save my life.
[/quote]

All I know is that in an alternate shot format, you drove a par 4, I lagged it up to about 2.5-3 feet, and we made par.... :tongue:

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433259909' post='11674624']
Meadow Hills is a great course.

Maybe I should invite thaar out to South Suburban on Sunday. Then he'll really know what putting woes are. :D
[/quote]

I don't care what kind of game you have....South Suburban will make you feel like your putter belongs at the bottom of a lake. I shot a 44/44 last time I played there....and I don't mean front nine/back nine. I made 44 swings and had 44 putts!!!

If you leave it below the hole, breaking 80 is totally doable, if you leave it it bad spots, you might hit every GIR and walk off with a 90.

Edit*** For those of you that know the course, I once had about an 18" birdie putt on #6 (creek at the end of the fairway, elevated green that slopes back to front) well I hit the lip and it shot around half the cup like a rocket and I was left with a 25 footer up the hill....which I then 3 putted from there. Turned a tap in birdie into a head scratching double bogey.

[quote name='masamitsu' timestamp='1420667972' post='10703883']
I'm actually looking for a new club to join. I live in Parker and have been a member of HEB the last 4 years.

What I'm looking for is:
- A nice course that's well maintained
- Participate in Men's club (because of political reasons no longer an option at HEB)
- Close to home (I have 2 year old)
- Ability to get out early on the weekend (At HEB I was usually off at 6am and don't before 9)
- Nice practice facility with grass range
- Best bang for my buck (I have a 2 year old :)

I've checked out the following:

Omni Interlocken (cause I have buddies who play up there):
Pro: Nice staff, 27 holes, private practice area for members
Con: an hour away from Parker

Inverness:
Pro: Nice staff, good course, easy walking course, ton of member bene's
Con: pay for push cart if you want to push - can't bring your own

Club Corp (Blackstone / Black Bear)
** Have a meeting with the membership director next Sat (17 Jan).

Any others I should check out?

Thanks,
Bert
[/quote] Check out Plum Creek in Castle Rock and Red hawk Ridge. ( Plum Creek was the 2nd TPC course in the network until the Tour sold it) Still a great Pete Dye design that's challenging and fun.

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433217089' post='11672084']
[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433216097' post='11672016'][quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1433215441' post='11671950']
[/quote]

#18 is a crazy difficult finishing hole. I feel great if I can escape with a par.[/quote]

We were told it's a city of Denver decision for safety bc tee balls from 10 are ending up on 1 more often. Among other things like fixing the dam and re doing the range, which would take years.
[/quote] Played Wellshire last Friday was in good shape considering all the rain. Was told by the guys pumping out the water that they are draining the lake and turning it in to a real range. Heard they lost 95% of the golf balls in the last big rain.

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433271205' post='11676072']
All I know is that in an alternate shot format, you drove a par 4, I lagged it up to about 2.5-3 feet, and we made par.... :tongue:
[/quote]

My next go-around at Riverdale, I drove two greens and made birdie on both. :)

[quote name='pgagolfstuff' timestamp='1433271896' post='11676180']

Check out Plum Creek in Castle Rock and Red hawk Ridge. ( Plum Creek was the 2nd TPC course in the network until the Tour sold it) Still a great Pete Dye design that's challenging and fun.
[/quote]

I just played Plum Creek this past Sunday for the first time since Bear Dance took it over. I will say they are trying to get it back to what it once was. Things I noticed on the positive:

More staff- this place used to be run by a skeleton crew and nobody gave a damn about anything. Hell they had a promotion 2 years ago where you bought a shirt ($45) and got a free round w/cart! Now they will offer to clean your clubs, put your bag on the cart, etc. Actually had a starter out on #1....which leads me to my next topic.

Switched the nines back to what they should be! Some people may not care, but this course just feels better playing it the way Pete Dye designed it IMO. I think they were starting people off the back just simply for the reason they didn't want to have a starter all the way out on #1, and #10 is much closer to the clubhouse.

Beverage cart was out and we saw her twice per nine.

Only negatives were:

the driving range balls were awful, honestly felt like they were in the bottom of lake for a few years

Round was pretty slow, finished in 5:05.....granted this was Sunday afternoon and they did have a marshal out who indicated he was trying to move people along...still waited on every teebox and my three playing partners shot 100, 121, and 130.