Colorado WRX 2015

pseudoswede

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433272489' post='11676274']
My next go-around at Riverdale, I drove two greens and made birdie on both. :)
[/quote]

One of these days I need to play the ladies tees so I can drive a par 4!

I did have an eagle putt on Sunday that burned the edge....I don't get many chances at those.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433273304' post='11676392']
[quote name='pgagolfstuff' timestamp='1433271896' post='11676180']
Check out Plum Creek in Castle Rock and Red hawk Ridge. ( Plum Creek was the 2nd TPC course in the network until the Tour sold it) Still a great Pete Dye design that's challenging and fun.
[/quote]

I just played Plum Creek this past Sunday for the first time since Bear Dance took it over. I will say they are trying to get it back to what it once was. Things I noticed on the positive:

More staff- this place used to be run by a skeleton crew and nobody gave a damn about anything. Hell they had a promotion 2 years ago where you bought a shirt ($45) and got a free round w/cart! Now they will offer to clean your clubs, put your bag on the cart, etc. Actually had a starter out on #1....which leads me to my next topic.

Switched the nines back to what they should be! Some people may not care, but this course just feels better playing it the way Pete Dye designed it IMO. I think they were starting people off the back just simply for the reason they didn't want to have a starter all the way out on #1, and #10 is much closer to the clubhouse.

Beverage cart was out and we saw her twice per nine.

Only negatives were:

the driving range balls were awful, honestly felt like they were in the bottom of lake for a few years

Round was pretty slow, finished in 5:05.....granted this was Sunday afternoon and they did have a marshal out who indicated he was trying to move people along...still waited on every teebox and my three playing partners shot 100, 121, and 130.
[/quote]

121 and 130! Whoa.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Wow...I'm not sure I've ever had a 130! Then again, I was pretty scared to step on a course so I spent a lot of time on the range before going golfing for the first time.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I moved from Colorado in 2008. I have a corporate membership that I'm looking to sell at the club at Pradera in Parker. The membership has 3 spots available, you can buy 1 spot for a lot less than the current offer. It's a great facility and the course plays Different everyday depending on setup. Great opportunity, contact me if interested.

anyone have any inside info on Bear Creek? my buddy is all excited about a junior membership out there for $2500 a year no initiation fee, but I feel like it has to be too good to be true. waiting to get more details from him, but if I could do that, over 30 years old (where many jr memberships are 30 and under) for a few years, I think I would indeed jump on it. the part I don't know if I could swing would be paying extra for carts if needed, food and bev minimums, and all the other stuff that adds up. my buddy is gung ho and tends to forget that even with the jr membership at a reasonable price, there would be extras that probably add up to another 1-2k throughout the year, putting this out of our price range.

any info is appreciated though. the place looks beautiful but this could just be a pipedream at this point.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433258559' post='11674418'] I have not played Aurora Hills myself but hear it's an easy walk and pretty easy but nice course. Could be an option. But it's out in Aurora. [/quote]

Second this. I play here about once a week because it's near my work. Definitely an easy course to walk. Some of the holes can be bland/repetitive, and it's not overly challenging on a warm day, but it's certainly a nice, well maintained course for the price.

Can't speak to the pace of play because I go early in the morning, but it usually seems pretty crowded when I finish up, and that is 9:30 or so on a weekday.

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433345838' post='11681942']
anyone have any inside info on Bear Creek? my buddy is all excited about a junior membership out there for $2500 a year no initiation fee, but I feel like it has to be too good to be true. waiting to get more details from him, but if I could do that, over 30 years old (where many jr memberships are 30 and under) for a few years, I think I would indeed jump on it. the part I don't know if I could swing would be paying extra for carts if needed, food and bev minimums, and all the other stuff that adds up. my buddy is gung ho and tends to forget that even with the jr membership at a reasonable price, there would be extras that probably add up to another 1-2k throughout the year, putting this out of our price range.

any info is appreciated though. the place looks beautiful but this could just be a pipedream at this point.
[/quote]

Wow, they don't allow women? You stay classy Bear Creek.

I don't know of any course/club in the Denver metro area where I would even consider paying for a membership. First of all I simply can not play enough to justify the cost of any of them. Meridian is only a half a mile from where I live and even if I went out for 9 holes after work 3-4 days a week I still couldn't recoup that cost. Between gofnow/hub, groupon type deals, twilight rates, etc you can play a lot of courses around here for a very reasonable amount of money. I have no problem with playing one course over and over for men's league but the only way I would ever join anywhere is if I had a bunch of friends do it as well. But even then I would still rather have the option of playing all over on the front range.

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433348470' post='11682268']
Yea I was shocked to see the no women part. Makes selling it to the wife difficult. It is a beautiful course tho
[/quote]

I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy golfing with my wife....despite her pissy attitude at times :nono:

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433350120' post='11682466']
[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433348470' post='11682268']
Yea I was shocked to see the no women part. Makes selling it to the wife difficult. It is a beautiful course tho
[/quote]

I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy golfing with my wife....despite her pissy attitude at times :nono:
[/quote]

I like golfing with mine as well. But same thing. She doesn't play often but expects results like she plays 3 times a week. She can hit the ball well at times but loses focus and it can go downhill from there.

As for Bear Creek. Women not being allowed is certainly archaic in my eyes, but wouldn't scare me away unless there is some underlying theme or expectation that if you belong there, you hate women or something along those lines. I have also read that it is a brutal and unreasonable walk, meaning I would probably be paying extra for a cart pretty regularly.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

There are some threads about Bear Creek in the other Rockies forum on here. A few people posting in those threads are members.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433357926' post='11683408']
There are some threads about Bear Creek in the other Rockies forum on here. A few people posting in those threads are members.
[/quote]

Just read....the course and club both sound very "WRX" to me....no thank you. :)

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433368473' post='11684638']
Just read....the course and club both sound very "WRX" to me....no thank you. :)
[/quote]

No tee times and sixsomes allowed? Most WRX'ers would have seizures.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433371026' post='11684868']
[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433368473' post='11684638']
[/quote]

No tee times and sixsomes allowed? Most WRX'ers would have seizures.
[/quote]

not if all six are a sub 2 cap and they play 18 holes in 2 hours....from the tips!!!

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433345838' post='11681942']

[/quote]

I'm a former member at Bear Creek. I had my membership there last year and decided not to renew this May after doing the 1-year trial membership. I'm 32 so I got 50% off the dues (about $400 month, normally $800) and paid $1,000 down that I could apply to my full membership if I decided to continue. While there was some downsides for me that I'll discuss below, I will say that it was an absolutely phenominal experience and I wouldn't hesistate to recommend the Club or do it again in a heartbeat. The main reason I decided not to continue is my wife and I have a newborn son who is now 8-months old. Golf will be at a limited premium for the next few years so I couldn't justify keeping the membership. And like some people said, my wife likes to play golf and I enjoy playing with her so being mens only limits that. However, it was actually her idea for me to join as a 'last hurrah' of sorts before our son came and I'm really glad I did. A few thoughts:

Pros:
-In my year at the club, I can honestly say I never came across a bad person. Everyone I met was a class act. From the head pro Kirk Rider to the assistant pro JP, all the outside opps guys, the members, everyone. I really felt welcome everytime I went.
-The course itself is always in fantastic shape, is always a challenge, and fun to bring people out the first time to play and watch them struggle!
-Lessons are included in your membership dues. Unlimited ones. Including launch monitor club testing and video analysis. As many as you want.
-The practice facility has to be one of the best on the front range, if not all of Colorado. There were many times were I had the entire range to myself. There is a 3 hole wedge course next to the driving range to hone your wedge game. They have ProV1 practice balls and everything looks at the Denver skyline. Multiple putting, chipping, and bunker options as well. It's a practicers dream.
-Never once waited or even worried about a tee time. Just showed up and teed off or found a game on the range, which I could always do. I never made a single tee time the entire time I was there. Vastly different from public golf and fighting for early rounds.
-There wasn't a food and beverage minimum and if there was I certainly didn't know about it. Even if there was, the food and drink was so reasonable I would have met it easily.

Cons:
-For me, it was a 35-40 minute drive to get to the course. Initially it was not that big of a deal, but it began to wear on me. I justified it because when you can play a 3 hour round, even a 40 minute drive each way is less than a 5 hour round of less enjoyable public golf. Your mileage may vary.
-The course is hard, probably too hard at times. Many people don't like the target nature of the golf course, the blind shots, and the multiple tiered greens that require precise shot placement. You can't just hit the greens, you have to hit the right levels.
-Ya, my wife couldn't use it. But if she wanted to join me for lunch or dinner in the clubhouse she was always welcome.
-The course is a b!tch to walk and I love walking. Its very hilly and while certainly walkable, after a few rounds I found myself taking a cart more often than not. I could play faster, but I prefer to walk and you really can't do it all the time at BC.

Feel free to PM me if you want more information but I'm always happy to give you an honest assessment. Kirk is still a great guy and I can head out and play whenever I want, so if you want an introduction to the course or just want to stop by the facilities I would be happy to take you.

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433347768' post='11682170']
Wow, they don't allow women? You stay classy Bear Creek.

I don't know of any course/club in the Denver metro area where I would even consider paying for a membership. First of all I simply can not play enough to justify the cost of any of them. Meridian is only a half a mile from where I live and even if I went out for 9 holes after work 3-4 days a week I still couldn't recoup that cost. Between gofnow/hub, groupon type deals, twilight rates, etc you can play a lot of courses around here for a very reasonable amount of money. I have no problem with playing one course over and over for men's league but the only way I would ever join anywhere is if I had a bunch of friends do it as well. But even then I would still rather have the option of playing all over on the front range.
[/quote]

Not allowing women isn't about staying classy or discriminating at all. It's a company of gentleman golfers. That is how the course and the club were designed. There is no pool, the clubhouse is no frills, the only bar is inside the mens locker room. Women are more than welcome to eat at the Clubhouse but it's a golfers only course. Thats the way it was intended.

Also, some people simply desire the experience of playing private golf. It's the same reason why someone buys a BMW over a Honda. Sure, they both get you from point A to point B but the one gets you there in a much more luxurious way. Yes, there are plenty of deals to be had on the front range but it's not always about money. To have my own course, with only 230 members, to never have to worry about a tee time, have an uncrowded practice facility at my disposal, and a pristine course - those are the reasons why people go private.

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433350811' post='11682542']

I like golfing with mine as well. But same thing. She doesn't play often but expects results like she plays 3 times a week. She can hit the ball well at times but loses focus and it can go downhill from there.

As for Bear Creek. Women not being allowed is certainly archaic in my eyes, but wouldn't scare me away unless there is some underlying theme or expectation that if you belong there, you hate women or something along those lines. I have also read that it is a brutal and unreasonable walk, meaning I would probably be paying extra for a cart pretty regularly.
[/quote]

The Club is NOT stuffy at all and it's not a bunch of men walking around hating on women. It's a Club of people who really truly absolutely LOVE the game of golf. It's a club of crazy golf junkies. Why else would you join an all mens club!? All the guys I met were great.

But yes, as I mentioned above, walking the course is certainly a challenge.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I wish I were in more of a position to join right now. Kids/family make it a bit difficult. Sounds like a great experience and value, particularly with the lessons and practice facility. I will have to consider it down the road at some point! Thanks for sharing your experience DTown!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Private/public is strictly a cost vs time issue for me.....I'm not saying it isn't worth it to join a private club for some people. But for me it is not.

And I will always prefer to play golf with people I know than people I don't, no matter how great the other members might be.

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433432207' post='11688886']
Private/public is strictly a cost vs time issue for me.....I'm not saying it isn't worth it to join a private club for some people. But for me it is not.

And I will always prefer to play golf with people I know than people I don't, no matter how great the other members might be.
[/quote]

I agree and I'm demonstrating that this year. I was a member last year, when it made sense to do so. With my 8-month old son, I no longer have the time. I suppose for some, maintaining a membership is simply a drop in the bucket but I'm not there yet.

Bear Creek does sound awesome, but it's also a 35-45 minute drive each way from my house. If I had the financial means and lived on that side of town, it would be an absolute no-brainer for me.

Cost is a little out of my league to be honest but I can afford the trial so I might do that and hope to win the lotto so I can stay.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1433434528' post='11689188']
Bear Creek does sound awesome, but it's also a 35-45 minute drive each way from my house. If I had the financial means and lived on that side of town, it would be an absolute no-brainer for me.
[/quote]

I'm in Broomfield, so I had the same drive. It was almost a deal-breaker for me, but decided that I would do it given the quality of the experience. For the most part, it worked out great but I'm sure I used it less than if I lived 5 minutes from the course. Certainly for practice purposes. But I didn't have a kiddo at the time and could do whatever I wanted, so I didn't mind the drive...but after awhile it did wear on me.

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433445669' post='11690446']
Cost is a little out of my league to be honest but I can afford the trial so I might do that and hope to win the lotto so I can stay.
[/quote]

FYI the initiation fee for me was $12,000 if I wanted to convert into the full and they allow you to spread that over a period of time at $3,333 per year. The trial year is an absolute no brainer if you use it a few times per month.

I'm a member at a private club in Westminster.

We have little kids, but I have found that the private club experience is a win/win for our family.

Benefits:
(1) Not only do I get to play with guys I know and like; (2) I also get all the competition I'd like.
(3) Then, I can take the kids out for one or two or six holes on any given afternoon.
(4) If it rains, I just head back home, no harm, on foul.

Additionally, my wife gets to play too (5), either with me, or with the wives, and that's awesome™

Finally, the family can use the pool (6), and the kids are all on the swim team too (7).

There is a delta in cost is for a private club, but when I consider all the added value (everything after #2), and the 3.5 hour rounds (4.0 on a Saturday at 9-10:00am). We think it's a win for us.

That's just my experience, and I get that it isn't for everybody. I also get to work from home, so my wife sometimes sends me out golfing just to get rid of me for awhile. :taunt:

Lefty

Some combination of the following that adds up to 14:

Titleist TSi3 // Mitsubishi Tensei White CK S 70g
Ping G410 5w // Ping Tour 75 S

Titleist TSi3 20° // KBS Prototype 85X ~or~

Titleist TMB 2i // KBS Tour S

MIzuno MP20 SEL 3-9 // KBS $taper 130x

Titleist SM7 46° 50° 54° 58° // KBS 610 wedge shaft 125 S+
Scotty Cameron Del Mar California
Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='lefty67' timestamp='1433450177' post='11690946']
I'm a member at a private club in Westminster.

We have little kids, but I have found that the private club experience is a win/win for our family.

Benefits:
(1) Not only do I get to play with guys I know and like; (2) I also get all the competition I'd like.
(3) Then, I can take the kids out for one or two or six holes on any given afternoon.
(4) If it rains, I just head back home, no harm, on foul.

Additionally, my wife gets to play too (5), either with me, or with the wives, and that's awesome™

Finally, the family can use the pool (6), and the kids are all on the swim team too (7).

There is a delta in cost is for a private club, but when I consider all the added value (everything after #2), and the 3.5 hour rounds (4.0 on a Saturday at 9-10:00am). We think it's a win for us.

That's just my experience, and I get that it isn't for everybody. I also get to work from home, so my wife sometimes sends me out golfing just to get rid of me for awhile. :taunt:

Lefty
[/quote]

Are you at The Ranch CC?

Yes

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='lefty67' timestamp='1433470684' post='11692608']
Yes
[/quote]

I live 5 minutes away. Have always wanted to play and considered joining but a buddy of mine played it and said it was super short - like leave the driver at home short. How challenging do you find the course?

This is a major point of contention among some of us. there is one crowd that says the ranch is pretty easy, another that says the opposite. I'll say this, we've tried to re-rate three times in the last 7 years, but we're still rated tougher than Riverdale dunes, tougher than legacy ridge, tougher than Firestone in Ohio... It isn't long, but it isn't easy.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='lefty67' timestamp='1433474710' post='11692994']
This is a major point of contention among some of us. there is one crowd that says the ranch is pretty easy, another that says the opposite. I'll say this, we've tried to re-rate three times in the last 7 years, but we're still rated tougher than Riverdale dunes, tougher than legacy ridge, tougher than Firestone in Ohio... It isn't long, but it isn't easy.
[/quote]

Interesting. Do you know the total yardage from the tips? I love Dunes and Legacy Ridge is a nice track, so I need to come out and play. I don't suppose you could sponsor a guest? I'm happy to pay my guest fee or whatever is required, but it would be nice to play the course and see for myself.