Best Guys Golf Trip Ever - Branson, MO

Just got back from a golf trip in Branson, MO and it could not be a more ideal spot.

Stayed at Big Cedar Lodge - This is a must. This resort is one of the most scenic and wonderful places you will ever go. If you blindfolded me, brought me to this place, and then took the blindfold off and said your in downtown Vail, CO...I wouldn't know the difference. There is a ton of different options in terms of rooms, cabins, etc...we stayed 3 guys/cabin, but could have comfortably fit 4. Pretty reasonable price. More than a hotel but the cabins were so cool whatever the difference is was well worth it. The resort also has multiple bars and restaurants that are great. Great food, great atmosphere, live entertainment, good crowds, etc...they are just cool enough that you dont get the urge to go "out" and get into trouble, but not so cool that you stay out all night and miss your tee time the next day.

Payne Stewart Golf Club - Played this one first. Most of the guys on the trip were single digit handicaps but we had a few higher hdcp. The higher hdcp had alot of trouble here. This is not an easy course, would even go as far as to say it is a tour caliber course. It is beautiful, in wonderful condition, has many great and unique holes, and was a challenge from start to finish. But my one takeaway is that there are alot of "stressful" tee shots. I rarely remember being on the tee box thinking..."oh man, I can just rip this out there." Everything was a very strategically placed fade, draw, etc...which is fine for better players wanting a challenge but our 15-20 hdcp guys had a long day. Just make sure you are playing the correct tees is all I will say. We all played the same (next to tips) and we should have had some guys move up. Overall, this is a "must play" if you make the Branson trip.

Buffalo Ridge (formerly Branson Creek) - This course is unbelievable...every guy on the trip said that within 5 holes they decided that this was either their favorite course ever or at the least in their top 5 (including the likes of Torrey Pines, Kapalua, TPC courses, etc...). Not so much that its a PGA level course, just that it is so damn fun. Every hole is so much fun from tee to green. The entire course is nestled in the Ozark mountains and OB on most of the holes is a Buffalo Range (dont hit a Buffalo with your ball, they get mad). The course is in perfect shape and it keeps getting better. Scratch players find it very challenging due to the length and fast greens, but the higher hdcp guys found it very playable because the fairways and greens are big and your lie is great no matter where you it it. You can see all of the things they are doing to the course to make the surroundings even better (almost seems like they are moving mountains) and I truly think that in 5 years this course will be on the national radar in terms of best courses. We played here twice and to be honest we would have been fine if we played here sun up-sun down every day.

Top of the Rock - This is the Par 3 course and driving range. Sounds kind of lame to play a par 3 on a golf trip...wrong. First of all, I would recommend trying to work in some time at the driving range for your trip. It is so cool, hundreds of of yards of a meticulous range made entirely out of astro turf. Try top get at sunset/early evening. Its really cool hitting with the lights on. The bars and restaurants are a whole other thread. I will just leave it at they are unbelievably cool and if you are considering this trip do some research on the website. Then there is the Par 3 course. You may know this from the Champions Tour event they have here now. The players have made comments along the lines of "this is the only Par 3 worthy of an event" and "this is better than the Augusta par 3 course." Its is expensive but if you are with a good group of guys and really take your time to soak in the surroundings and the course...you wont regret one second of your time here.

In closing, I just cant think of a better guys golf trip. Its easy to get to, Courses are top notch (there are other great ones we did not play). The lodge is so cool and has everything you need. The Branson area in general is just really cool and the people are great. Every guy who went on the trip wont stop talking about it and I started getting requests to set up the next trip the day we got home:)

Stealth+ 10.5: LAG Trono 65x
Stealth 15: Speeder Evo I 757x
TM UDI 2: Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB9.8x
19 P790 4-PW: DG TI X100
TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree with your assessment of the Payne Stewart course. Very difficult, but always in great shape.

FWIW, the news is that Coore/Crenshaw are designing a course to go along with Buffalo Ridge. Also, I hear that Murder Rock is closed, but being refurbished (for the second time). Branson is definately becoming a golf destination.

[quote name='exgolfpro' timestamp='1432222686' post='11601230']
I will agree with your assessment of the Payne Stewart course. Very difficult, but always in great shape.

FWIW, the news is that Coore/Crenshaw are designing a course to go along with Buffalo Ridge. Also, I hear that Murder Rock is closed, but being refurbished (for the second time). Branson is definately becoming a golf destination.
[/quote]

Correct. Coore/Crenshaw are building what is essentially going to be the 2nd 18 of Buffalo Ridge. Its going to be called something like the "Springs Course" and the "Valley Course." Golf Channel did a special on it a few weeks back, followed Crenshaw around the property and he was describing some of the things they are doing. To see what they did to the current course and then to think what they can do with that landscape starting from scratch...oh man it will be cool. The other word is that they are transforming the Murder Rock course into a family friendly 12 hole course. Basically the idea is to give novice/family/recreational golfers the opportunity to play a meticulous beautiful course but make it easier/more playable and only 12 holes. What a cool idea! Morris (Bass Pro Guy) just truly loves golf, loves the area, and has LOTS of dough. What better thing to do with your money than to just build a golf heaven that gets people of all ages, level, etc...down to experience golf courses and to fall in love with the game. He is truly doing something to get more people into the game and I think its fantastic.

Pictures on the way...

TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

Top of the Rock Range at Sunset [attachment=2768974:20150507_202812.jpg] Top of the Rock Range, view from Balcony while eating dinner. Poor guy in the visor might have got some heckling from us, luckily he was a good sport. [attachment=2768976:20150508_213841.jpg] Buffalo Statue on the back deck overlooking the course [attachment=2768978:20150508_123038.jpg] Nothing like going to bed with 100% chance of rain and waking up to a sunny day [attachment=2768980:20150509_083843.jpg] [attachment=2768982:20150509_110137.jpg] One of many great Par 5s [attachment=2768984:IMG_20150508_175922.jpg] Wasnt real happy that I snap hooked my drive into the heard [attachment=2768986:IMG_20150509_092928.jpg]More Top of the Rock Pics[attachment=2768988:20150509_144712.jpg][attachment=2768990:20150509_144716.jpg][attachment=2768992:20150509_150114.jpg][attachment=2768994:IMG_20150509_170308.jpg]

TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1432308450' post='11608274']
Nice pics brock!

Is it still possible to get onto what was Branson Creek, now Buffalo Ridge, for under $100? My buddy and I used to play there a lot for winter rates under $50.
[/quote]

[quote]
[center][size=2][color=#663300][u][b]Public Rates:[/b][/u][/color][/size]

[color=#663300][size=2]Daily | 7:00AM - 6:00PM[/size][/color][/center]

[center][size=2][size=2][color=#663300]Friday – Saturday | [b]$110[/b][/color][/size][/size][/center]

[center][size=2][size=2][color=#663300]Sunday – Thursday | [b]$99[/b][/color][/size][/size][/center]

[center][size=2][size=2][color=#663300]Twilight – After 3:00PM| [b]$80 [/b][/color][/size][/size][/center]

[color=#663300][size=2] Golf Fees Include:[/size][/color] [list]
[*][color=#663300][size=2]Cart[/size][/color]
[*][color=#663300][size=2]One Bag of Range Balls[/size][/color]
[*][color=#663300][size=2]Practice Putting Greens[/size][/color]
[/list]
[/quote]
[list]
[*]
[/list]
http://www.topoftherock.com/Page/Buffalo-Ridge-Golf-Course.aspx

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Word is that Crenshaw/Coore and one other unnamed architect are building two more courses at or near the property. Bass Pro Shop money at work! As someone who only lives 3-4 hours away, I'm ecstatic.

Taylormade TP5

Cool, thanks for sharing pictures. I've always enjoyed playing Buffalo Ridge and Payne Stewart GC. Plus the pro at Buffalo Ridge is a nice guy. Buffalo Ridge is hosting Missouri State Amateur Championships next month. I haven't played Top of the Rock yet but hope to soon.

I can attest Payne Stewart GC being very hard from back tees or one tees up. Won a 4Ball tournament there couple years ago and high scores can be had if one doesn't hit his teeshots in play.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1432308450' post='11608274']
Nice pics brock!

Is it still possible to get onto what was Branson Creek, now Buffalo Ridge, for under $100? My buddy and I used to play there a lot for winter rates under $50.
[/quote]

Eh...I think we paid $100ish out there each time. Its certainly not a "under $100" course.

I do remember that we got some sort of rate reduction because of staying at Big Cedar. It was basically if we play both Buffalo and Top/Rock the same day its cheaper

TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

That looks fantastic! Definently on my short list of trips.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1432311112' post='11608610']
Cool, thanks for sharing pictures. I've always enjoyed playing Buffalo Ridge and Payne Stewart GC. Plus the pro at Buffalo Ridge is a nice guy. Buffalo Ridge is hosting Missouri State Amateur Championships next month. I haven't played Top of the Rock yet but hope to soon.

I can attest Payne Stewart GC being very hard from back tees or one tees up. Won a 4Ball tournament there couple years ago and high scores can be had if one doesn't hit his teeshots in play.
[/quote]

Yeah the guys working at Buffalo Ridge were really cool. The gals working there were pretty great as well. The ones driving the beer carts wore cowboy boots...now that I think about it that may have been my favorite part of the trip :stop:

TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

Did they build a clubhouse at Buffalo Ridge yet? Last time I was down there (5 years ago) they were still running everything out of a trailer. We got caught in a storm, and had to spend it in the cart shed. Agree on Payne Stewart - we had a group of 8 with varying handicaps and made the mistake of making that our pre-determined 36 hole day. Needless to say there was some serious golf ball and scorecard carnage on the second 18. Glad to hear Murder Rock is done and better courses are going in, although it had a sweet clubhouse.

Titleist TSr2 9 

Titleist TSr2 16.5 

Callaway Apex UW 19
TaylorMade 2023 P790 4-AW

TaylorMade MG4 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
ProV1x

Buffalo Ridge has a clubhouse now, a lot of changes to the course since it changed ownership. Buffalo Ridge (Branson Creek) is the Springs Course, the new Coore/Crenshaw course will be the Ridge course, and the third championship 18 will be the Valley course. Not sure on the name of the Player designed family course.

Between these and Top of the Rock it's going to an awesome golf complex............

Top of the Rock range had a massive sink hole this afternoon. Check out Ginella's Twitter/Instagram.

Taylormade TP5

Nice review. I'm lucky enough to live in northwest Arkansas and can make the trip over in 90 minutes or less. Johnny Morris is turning Branson and the areas around it into a big time golf destination. I would think within 10 years people will talk about it as a legit mainstream must visit for golf. The Ozark Mountains are a perfect setting for what he is doing. Hats off to him for making it all affordable as well. The quality is literally as good as money can buy but they aren't charging people like it.

[quote name='I3erto' timestamp='1432312303' post='11608754']
Can you ballpark what you paid for the trip (not including flights if you had to fly)? 3 rounds and I'm guessing 2 nights? How is the food/drink priced at the resort? Just curious.. Thanks for sharing!
[/quote]

Lodging - $300/man for 3 nights. We stayed in one bedroom cabin w/ loft. Plenty of room, really cool cabin. Could have easily stayed 4/cabin. Full kitchens
Golf - averaged out to $100-$120/ round.
Food/drinks - big cedar bars and restaurants are reasonably priced. Top of the rock is slightly more expensive but it's a nice enough place that you wouldn't blink an eye. They have all the rare top shelf whiskers so depending on your order you can rack up quite the bill. I asked a buddy to grab me an old fashioned from the bar, he ordered it and asked the bartender for top shelf so they guy made it with Pappy VW. It was a $52 old fashion

Overall, the golf is what it is and the lodging is reasonable. If your trying to cut some corners on food there is lots fast food places around or you can always have guys pitch in and get meat/ food ahead of time because the cabins have grills. I personally liked going to the restaurants because they are really cool and its nice to just go in and relax after 36 holes of golf.

TM MG 50, TM TW 56/60 
Scotty SS NP 2

Next time you go, make sure and play Ledgestone as well. It is ranked 5th in the state behind Payne Stewart and Buffalo Ridge. I would 100% agree that Payne Stewart is a tough challenge. From the back tees, it might be one of, if not the most difficult course I have ever played. Good to hear that Buffalo Ridge is in such great shape. I will be playing there next month along with about 25-30 other guys......can't wait.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

+1 on Ledgestone. It is a very nice fun course.
We play 3 tournaments a year there. In the spring and fall there is a good 2 day-2 man scramble with a discounted practice round(~$50) Friday. It is $120 a man and lots of flights.
The big one is the Branson Invitational. It is $275 a man and is a 3 day event. Friday Best Ball at ledgestone, Saturday Scramble, and Sunday Modified Chapman at Buffalo ridge. Day money all 3 days and good payout on the tournament all 3 days..
My Favorite Tourney is the Fall one. Green course lightening fast greens and cool weather.

Go to attached link for $20 off your first order at ShortPar4.com
http://shortpar4.refr.cc/6DC52RQ

[quote name='miket_81' timestamp='1433261314' post='11674818']
We play 3 tournaments a year there. In the spring and fall there is a good 2 day-2 man scramble with a discounted practice round(~$50) Friday. It is $120 a man and lots of flights.
The big one is the Branson Invitational. It is $275 a man and is a 3 day event. Friday Best Ball at ledgestone, Saturday Scramble, and Sunday Modified Chapman at Buffalo ridge. Day money all 3 days and good payout on the tournament all 3 days..
My Favorite Tourney is the Fall one. Green course lightening fast greens and cool weather.
[/quote]
Those sounds like a blast! Do you have any information/website to share?

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1433261525' post='11674854']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Google is your friend - it's in a couple of weeks.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1433261525' post='11674854']
[/quote]
[/quote]

The summer one (Invitational) fills up SUPER fast. They send the entry forms out in early January and the Friday afternoon tee times fill up in like 3 days.

You can call Ledgestone and have them put you on their mailing list so you will get the entry forms for the tourneys.
http://www.ledgestonegolf.com/
[color=#1F1F1F][size=4](417) 335-8187[/size][/color]

Thanks! I was able to find information regarding the Branson Invitational. Thankfully, I learned what Google was today. I wasn't able to find anything regarding the smaller Spring/Fall 2-day events. I will give them a call.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1433276660' post='11676818']
Thanks! I was able to find information regarding the Branson Invitational. Thankfully, I learned what Google was today. I wasn't able to find anything regarding the smaller Spring/Fall 2-day events. I will give them a call.
[/quote]

Glad you mentioned it I never knew there was a website. I just mailed in my entry with the Spring one in January and showed up.

If you get on the list you will get an entry for the Fall tournament. That or I bet they will can email you a form.
It is a very fun tournament.
Hope to see you there.
Mike