2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Good Golf between Chicago and Milwaukee... also East WI.

I am going to the PGA Championship in August this year. My Uncle and I are planning to play golf on Mon and Tue before going to the event Wed - Fri. Driving over from MI, we would like to play somewhere on Monday between/near Chicago to Milwaukee. Any suggestions? Comfortable spending $100 or so if needed; probably not much more unless it's a must see kind of place.

We'll also be playing on Tuesday somewhere near Koehler if you have suggestions. Straits will obviously be busy with pros, but staying in Germantown and willing to drive an hour any direction.

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If not the Straits or Blackwolf Run, then The Bull at Pinehurst would be a nice option in Sheboygan Falls.

Along the way, you could hit Harborside International (south side of Chicago), Thunderhawk (Zion), Stonewall Orchard (Greyslake), or Shepherd's Crook (Zion). The latter are right off of I-94 on the way to Wisconsin.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Lake Geneva has a lot to offer, agree that The Bull is a good place and Brown Deer in Milwaukee is a muni but also a former PGA course. Playing any of the Kohler courses during the PGA may prove very difficult.

I would also take a look at saving some wear and tear on yourself and taking the ferry across.

Erin Hills would be outside the $100 ticket, but it is every bit the quality and challenge of Whistling Straits. It will also be the home of 2017 US Open.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Grew up 15 minutes from Whistling, now living in Milwaukee:

The Bog and Fire Ridge are pretty solid courses in Milwaukee. Germantown is a northwestern suburb of Milwaukee, The Bog & Fire Ridge are due north of Milwaukee - probably around a 30 minute drive a piece from Germantown. Green fees at The Bog are typically around $80, give or take, while the green fees at Fire Ridge are slightly less.

There are also some great courses in Lake Geneva - probably closer to a full hour from Germantown. Geneva National has three 18s designed by Palmer, Player, & Trevino.

Outside of Whistling, BWR, and The Bull (which will all be well outside of the $100 price range the week of the PGA Championship), there are not a ton of great courses in the Sheboygan area. If you are trying to golf a course near Kohler, I would suggest a course called Autumn Ridge. The course is always in great shape and the prices are very reasonable.

In the burbs north of Chicago: Pine Meadow, Stone Wall Orchard, Thunderhawk and Shepherd's Crook.
Milwaukee: Brown Deer or Washington County
Khoeler: The Bull. If you can get on The River Course, I highly recommend it even though it's way over your price range.

I'm not sure where in MI you are, but, I would play Arcadia Bluffs then take the ferry across Lake Michigan.

Highly recommend Thunderhawk. It is just south of the Wisconsin border, and will force you to use all of your sticks (if you select the right tee box). There is a lot of variety in tee and pin positions, and it can play very differently on back-to-back days.

The recommendation for Erin Hills is also spot-on. It may set you back a few $$, but it's a really good test, and it will host the US Open in only few years.

Enjoy,

B

These options all sound great! I'll be doing some research this weekend. Thank you all!

'Not a big fan of The Bog. Brown Deer or Washington County would be better options.

My favorite course in Lake Geneva is The Brute at Grand Geneva, which also happens to be the closest to I-94 (30 minutes west).

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

If you are trying to play anywhere near Sheboygan, you are going to have to book as far out as possible since you aren't the only one who has though about doing that, that week.

Per some of the suggestions above, Thunderhawk is an awesome track that almost anybody can enjoy, Erin Hills is going to cost you some $$ and you will need to be ready to walk 7.5-8 miles that it takes to get around there, Washington County is an excellent track as well, and if you are going to Lake Geneva, The Brute is my least favorite of all of the courses, given the number of "dumb" holes where you just have to know exactly where you're hitting it or you're dead, but most of the Geneva National courses are fun to play, and aren't insanely pricy from what I remember.

Sure, The Brute has a few blind shots, but overall I think it's the prettiest of the GL courses.

20140523_113351.jpg

20140523_131529.jpg

20140523_133834.jpg

20140523_144135.jpg

20140523_145415.jpg

20140523_163117.jpg

So many good suggestions here. Wisconsin golf tends to be better than Illinois golf IMO. Let me add my .02 cents with a food pairing.

Northern Illinois:
1. Thunderhawk - One of the best public courses in Illinois. Large fairways, large greens and it can be a good challenge from several tee boxes. If your looking for some good food then check out Mama Corn in Gurnee for great hispanic food or the Shanty. If you go you have to try their Whiskey Shrimp appetizer.

2. Shepherds Crook - Almost every hold is a "signature hole". I particularly fear/love the hold with the church pew sand bunkers in the fairway. Usually in great shape. Amazing burger place called The Tracks in Cary you should check out.

Anything else wouldn't really be worth the drive south and back to Milwaukee IMO.

Lake Geneva WI:
Geneva National - My annual buddy trip is going on year 10 here. Amazing courses. Player is my favorite but all my friends prefer Palmer. Skip the Trevino course. Palmer has an amazing last 4 holes. My friends love the smaller greens that play pretty quick in the summer time.

The Brute and Highlands - Good golf, but it will be around that $100 price tag. It seems like I'm always on the wrong side of the huge greens there. For the money I get more of a kick out of Geneva National or Hawk's View.

Hawk's View - Great public course. Not super memorable, but well worth it.

To experience what it was like to be a vacationing millionaire in the 60's visit the Village in nearby Lake Delevan for great ribs and a super weird salad bar.

Outside of those I would say that if you can handle walking Erin Hills it would be very cool to play a course that will host the US Open in 2017. That course is definitely a physical test though from any tee box because of the walking.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1428723815' post='11332157']
So many good suggestions here. Wisconsin golf tends to be better than Illinois golf IMO. Let me add my .02 cents with a food pairing.

Northern Illinois:
1. Thunderhawk - One of the best public courses in Illinois. Large fairways, large greens and it can be a good challenge from several tee boxes. If your looking for some good food then check out Mama Corn in Gurnee for great hispanic food or the Shanty. If you go you have to try their Whiskey Shrimp appetizer.

2. Shepherds Crook - Almost every hold is a "signature hole". I particularly fear/love the hold with the church pew sand bunkers in the fairway. Usually in great shape. Amazing burger place called The Tracks in Cary you should check out.

Anything else wouldn't really be worth the drive south and back to Milwaukee IMO.

Lake Geneva WI:
Geneva National - My annual buddy trip is going on year 10 here. Amazing courses. Player is my favorite but all my friends prefer Palmer. Skip the Trevino course. Palmer has an amazing last 4 holes. My friends love the smaller greens that play pretty quick in the summer time.

The Brute and Highlands - Good golf, but it will be around that $100 price tag. It seems like I'm always on the wrong side of the huge greens there. For the money I get more of a kick out of Geneva National or Hawk's View.

To experience what it was like to be a vacationing millionaire in the 60's visit the Village in nearby Lake Delevan for great ribs and a super weird salad bar.

Outside of those I would say that if you can handle walking Erin Hills it would be very cool to play a course that will host the US Open in 2017. That course is definitely a physical test though from any tee box because of the walking.

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

Booked 1 of my 2 rounds at Geneva National - Player
Thanks for the tip.

[quote name='AC-Golf' timestamp='1431377383' post='11540136']

Northern Illinois:

Lake Geneva WI:

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

Booked 1 of my 2 rounds at Geneva National - Player
Thanks for the tip.
[/quote]

You won't regret it. One of my favorite courses. I just played Thunderhawk again yesterday in the fog and rain and enjoyed it a ton.

G400 LST
917F2
913H
'16 JPX EZ Forged
T7 54/58
Bettinardi Tour SS3 DASS BEE KOOL
Snell MTB Black

Nese mund te lexoni kete, me dergoni nje mezazh.

Quite a few of these courses will have GolfNow Hot Deal teetimes and you may be able to get mid-day rounds on Mon & Tuesday for under $50. Who knows thought during the week of the PGA what the GN teetimes will look like.

Perhaps on your way up you could do Lake Geneva - I would suggest either Hawk's View or Geneva National-Players Course
Around the Germantown area I would suggest Erin Hills (if you can afford it you will not be disappointed) Fire Ridge, Washington County
Around the Sheboygan area I would suggest The Bull, or travel a bit to Lawsonia

I would [i][b]not [/b][/i]suggest: The Bog, Brown Deer, Geneva National-Trevino Course, Grand Geneva-Highlands Course.

[/quote]

Great post, just want to point out that Cary is nowhere near Shepherd's Crook which is located in Zion. They're probably close to an hour drive apart from each other. Now that I think about it, I bet you were thinking of Stonewall Orchard, not Shepherd's Crook.

A great place for food near Shepherd's Crook and Thunderhawk is El Axteca Mexican restaurant off of route 173.

• 3 weeks later...

Was able to get on at Meadow Valleys at Blackwolf Run the Tuesday of tournamnet week. Thanks everyone for all the tips.

[quote name='mjracer' timestamp='1432999937' post='11656006']
Good list so far, but how has Ruffled Feathers and Cog Hill not made this list yet, too far out of the way? I would suggest both of these, and if you are feeling adventurous play Cog #2 and Ruffled back to back since they are across the street from each other.
[/quote]

For starters, I neither of those courses are between Chicago and Milwaukee. second of all, there are probably 25 courses between Chicago and Milwaukee that are nicer than Ruffled Feathers.

[quote name='nogopehrs' timestamp='1432990265' post='11655294']
Driving a little further north, you'll find the recently re-opened Sentry World in Stevens Point. I played it last week and was amazed at the condition and beauty RTJ2 put into this course. Very walkable, but most folks were in carts.
[/quote]

Little further north? Isn't SW an hour north of the Dells? You're looking at 2 or more hours out of the way. Not saying that it might not be worth the trek, but certainly not in the Chicago to Milwaukee corridor.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd certainly check out The Bull in Sheboygan as it's an incredible layout and a lot of fun to play. I'll be there in a few weeks for 36 myself.

Thunderhawk in Beach Park is really a great track. Lots of different holes and big fairways. You'd have a lot of fun there.

I really really enjoy Shepherds Crook in Zion. The course is just flat out fun to play and has a lot of different shots depending on the winds. Greens are usually really speedy as well. Only downfall is that there is no range there.

One that is a LOT of fun that is west of Chicago and may be out of your way, but is really enjoyable is The Highlands of Elgin. Again, you'd have to map it out to see if it fits in your plans, but if it does, I'd certainly give it a go!