Any greenskeepers, superintendents or someone with knowledge of greens in here answer something for

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aeration is extremely important. I have worked part time at courses and back filled the plug holes with a sand soil compound. The ideal percentage of holes and their diameters should make up 10-20% of the greens total surface. We usually filled the core holes with straight sand, but did add a sand/soil cocktail depending on the organic testing. Rolling does help after, but not much.

I have never been around a course where it hindered golf more than 1-2 weeks..........3 at the most if there was a lack of water, or other situations.

I don't know much about grass / greens / aeration, etc. But I would say that all you have to do in this case is go to the head of your club...the guy that owns the place, and let a brother know that you aren't satisfied. He may explain to you that their process is xyz and be patient, it will get better, or he may acknowledge the concerns and (hopefully) do something about it.

There are 36 holes at my club. The greens are stellar at one course (bent grass), but the fairways are still struggling for no really good reason. BUT, they are fixing it. On the other course, the greens are bermuda and were so bad last year that I just quit playing it. I let the owner know...he told me what they were doing to my satisfaction. So I'm still there, but I will gladly bounce if I need to (i.e. if they don't fix stuff that needs to be fixed). Golf courses are in no position to make members unhappy these days.

tell the guy to micropunch them more frequently in season and deep core only spring and fall?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I wouldn't suggest trying to break down the errors that you assume exist if you personally don't have the technical knowledge to back up what you have to say.

What I would recommend is to voice your concerns, both in person and written (email would suffice) to the pro and the owner. Especially if you have fellow golfers that would sign their name at the bottom. While it's unlikely that the problems aren't already known, customer satisfaction and the potential of losing members would warrant a response.

[quote name='crater_divots' timestamp='1433884036' post='11721014']
I wouldn't suggest trying to break down the errors that you assume exist if you personally don't have the technical knowledge to back up what you have to say.
[/quote]

Im not looking for ammo to run in there and complain with, in all honesty complaining will do nothing I'm just curious about how it's done for my own knowledge.

I was more interested in someone's take on the aspect of rolling/not rolling...if your guy is for or against rolling because generally every other course I play rolls greens.

As a greenskeeper not a superintendent I know we roll greens a number of times per month but I have no idea what the schedule is. It all depends on what has been done to the greens. We gassed our greens about 2 months ago for nematodes. We rolled every morning for weeks. We also roll right after we punch and top dress, which we did last week. We actaully double punched the greens, going in 2 different directions. We rolled 2-3 times after that over the next few days.

Our greens are rolled 2 to 3x per week. The idea that they can never be rolled is ridiculous. Does it compact the greens? Yes, and that's what they are punched twice a year, but it's 2 weeks max before they are back to perfect, and they roll pretty decent even after they are punched.

Sounds like a bad super, or lazy, or maybe doesn't have the budget

I think it is possible the greenskeeper may know what he is doing. The bigger problem he is trying to correct may be under the surface instead of on it. Simply rolling the greens could be counterproductive if there is a root problem. Like a bandaid on dirty wound. Proper top dressing should take care of the bumps due to the soil, but may not stop bumpy putts. The grass may be the problem, possibly from over compaction. To me it is 1 of 2 things. 1) he sucks. 2) he is trying to save greens in a less expensive but more time consuming way as opposed to re-doing them. **real greenskeepers be nice, please. Figured I'd give it a try for fun because although I am not in the industry i did stay at a holiday inn express.

I have a turf degree and have worked on several courses. One had push-up clay greens, so we aerated a lot and even used a Vertidrain, which has tines about an inch in diameter. Your course might have soil conditions that dictate how the greens are maintained. Not every course has USGA-standard green construction. Heavy topdressing can also alter the contours of the green over time, making them "turtlebacked."

ETA: One course I worked at never top-dressed in the two years I was there. We aerated a couple of times a year, shoveled the cores off the greens and dumped them. I don't know if it was a budget issue or what. It was when I was in high school and was the first course I worked at, so I didn't know any better to ask. The holes would fill in on their own after a week or two.

8 weeks since aeration is plenty of time to heal up. What area of the country are you in and what has the weather been like? Sounds like your greens need more topdressing and fertilazation. Rolling greens can certainly been done, as a previous post said aeration is done to alleviate compaction, promote new growth, remove thatch, allow oxygen into the soil along with sand and amendments and so on. I would go through your Mens club or greens committee if one exists. Superintendents are fired for this kind of stuff, find out whats going on here. Maybe this is as simple as a budget crisis or poor weather.

I honestly don't think we have taken full core at my course in 3+ years. We micro once or twice a year (usually second week of august and sometimes late may depending on the weather) we are usually regarded as having some of the best greens in the city. We have bent FWIW

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

There are so many variables when it comes to green maintenance and aeration practices it's almost impossible to answer your question. One simple question is how old/new is your course? If it's older, you may not have good drainage underneath the greens since they might be what they call 'push up' greens. Basically, they took existing soil, mounded it and made a green. Modern golf course greens for the most part have what are called USGA greens, or complex sand and gravel based greens with drains integrated into them which helps them drain.

If your superintendent is leaving holes open, it sounds like to me he's trying to get oxygen into the soil and get moisture out. Yes, it's not the most ideal of situations, but he's looking at the long term health of the course. Remember, he was hired by your club, so someone must have thought he could do the job and he's trying his best to look after the members and course the best he can.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

Nice, thanks for the replies its very informative. I think the course is from the 60s or 70s, not new but not ancient. I understand the job is tough and like I said before I was just curious about the process. The bumpy greens are just so frustrating, if it goes another two weeks and we're playing mid summer and still watching the ball hop to the hole then I think it would be time to start complaining. As stated above I would have assumed there are so many variables that go with keeping the greens in decent shape based on location, weather conditions etc. I'm amazed at what some can do with greens when I can't even keep my own back yard decent. The thing that just gets me is they supplied a good budget this year so we are told and they don't even own the roller to give it a shot. I know it may not be the answer but it just seems like if they rolled it we could putt. People are already joking like we're only two months away from when it will be time for them to punch them again. Sucks.

At our club, communication is key. We get a daily Superintendent report....what has been cut, F/G/R...stimp etc, posted on our member website.
We get twice weekly emails regarding the status of punching, top dressing, spraying etc including pics of the process before and after.
I would assume that your club has a communication issue first, and not assume it is a talent issue yet.
If you don't already have a Greens Committee, suggest one, and become a member.