2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

uPRO....Anyone seen this latest entry in the GPS wars?

mrb

Just a note regarding mapping. My true "Home" course had a date wihin the next month and a half so I elected to designate another course that I enjoy in my area that was not schedule for a timely mapping. The course that I requested was done within the four "business" days and I was pleasantly surprised to see the course that I really wanted was moved up and done within a week. Additional courses that I requested have moved up as well. I think that the folks at UPRO have it right, address the courses based upon owner requests. Sure they could have waited to map more coursed before they released the product, but I wouldn't have the pleasure of using it today. - JMHO

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought id share the recent experiences with you guys. Basically my unit is functioning well, but I have encountered some problems with the course mapping. ive downloaded 7 courses that I play, the last one that was done was my home course. It took them about 2 full weeks. I did get an extra battery out of it so no real problem. The problem was that when the mapping was done, it was pretty darn incorrect. The maps often didnt show the back tees, giving yardages that were incorrect in preview mode. My course is Durand Eastman, a great R.T.Jones design, and I play it from the tips. Well upro made a 377 yd hole out of the opening 436 and so on. Whats worse, as the yardages read correctly in play mode, is that if the tee areas arent on the map when you get to the next hole it doesnt even ask you whether you want to advance or not, so i did have to manually advance it, and that was a pain. This only happened on this course, not on any of the other 6 that I have, and I really think it was because of the missing back tees on several of the holes. On one hole instead of plotting yardages to the green they plotted to an area actually behind the green, it just looks like it could be the green on the map. The green is shaded by trees and they plain just got it wrong. Ive called them but honestly, and I do believe in this product, this whole thing bothered me, especially because it took so long, then it was incorrect. Its a good thing that so far, CS has been very forthcoming and nice. I just dont know how this will get fixed without a remapping with more aerial views.

This definitely sounds like a mapping problem for this particular course.

I had a minor problem with a different course.

While in preview mode, the unit would lock up in simulate mode after advancing from tee to green, and then back to tee. On a properly mapped course, you can toggle/simulate yardage from the back tees, a point on the fairway, and the green. This sequence will cycle again if you press the VR button. For one particular hole, the unit would lock up if the VR button was pressed after the green view.

I expect that mapping errors will be found by users, and eventually corrected by Upro.

Some mapping problems may be due to the quality of the aerial or satellite image that they have. Over time, I'm sure this will all get worked out. Just be sure to report issues to customer support. They seem to be trying very hard to respond to issues reported by their customers.

Overall, I am still very happy with my unit. I use it on every round that has a course available (many in my area).

My UPRO was received about 1 week ago. I use a MAC and was able to sync successfully. I have used it in preview mode

several times in the past week getting familiar with the interface.

When charging the device, the red led will stay lit forever, it never blinks indicating full charge. Anyone see this?

Beyond that, when I tried to turn the device on today it never turned on. I plugged in the USB cable and now the red

led doesnt even light up. I think the device is dead. :man_in_love: I tried removing and inserting the battery....no luck. Is their

some type of key sequence to hard reset this device?

Of course I was going to use this for the first time tomorrow.

CS is supposed to get back with me tomorrow to see what they are going to do....

I have experienced a continuously lit red light on charging. This occurred when I charged the unit for the first time. I plugged the device in to charge, and noticed that the LCD display was displaying a white screen. I powered the unit on and off while still plugged in. The screen went dark after power off, and the red light was lit indicating it was being charged. Many, many hours later, the red light was still lit. I turned the unit on, and the battery indicator showed a full charge.

I later connected the USB cable to the Upro (powered off), and then plugged the USB into the power outlet. LCD was lit (white) and the red light started to blink.

Now, I always connect the USB cable to the powered off Upro, then plug into the outlet. It looks like the Upro screen must be lit (white) while charging for the red light to blink after full charge.

I don't know how to hard reset the unit. I just power off/on. For only gps reset, I do this from the "Settings" menu. (customer service says I shouldn't have to reset the gps, but I use it if I can't get a signal. Seems to work.)

My light used to stay lit, I just had to turn it on then turn off. It doesn't anymore. If the device is on while charging the light won't blink when fully charged, only when it is off. I turned my device off from the yes or no menu and when I went to turn it on it was completely dead. It won't totally turn off (mine) unless I hold the power button down for 8 seconds. It took a minute or two for the red light to come on from a total dead battery.

I also installed the update to work on the Mac. It's a little slow and has some quirks but works fine. I had some lockups on the course that concerned me, but they have mysteriously disappeared also. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the upgrade because they stopped before the update.

It's been working excellent. The only problem is seeing pro mode in direct sunlight, but loving it.

Its all about the angle when held to direct sunlight. The screen is actually designed for direct light and I think that if you experiment with turning the unit to the left or right and have the sun hitting the screen you can actually see it better than even holding your hand over it. It is a little trial and error but Upro kept telling me the screen was actually designed to reflect light. Once I found the sweet spot it actually looks pretty good and is acceptable in my opinion.

Good Luck,

Vince

i picked up the unit to try. works pretty well, but has some issues with accuracy. it uses imagery to get the fixes used for front, middle, back of greens. our course has some slanted aprons which probably appear flat on their photos. as a result, those greens show from 10-15 yards deeper than they really are. the resultant middle distance is actually quite close to the back. not a good deal on a strange course, but you get used to it on your home course.

hi, I need some help on this one. I just got a replacement upro sent directly to me from the the company, because they thought as i had the white screen while charging, and a few freezeups that the new software would help. While the unit didnt have the white screen while charging, I couldnt power down using the power off, yes and no option. I was forced to use the hard power down, of the 8 seconds sort. My old upro actually is ok, it doesnt freeze up that often and powers down normally, is the new software worth it? Im a pc user so the mac software is of no interest. The only problem again that i have with my orginal is an occasional freeze up, usually upon switching holes, or it catapults me to a hole im not playing. This has happened once or twice in 7 rounds. Advice anyone, which one should i send back? I think the hard power down of holding the button down 8 sec is kind of a pain. Thanks, Neil

That's a tough one.

My unit sounds similar to your original one.

White screen during charging. Others observe this as well. I consider this normal.

I also sometimes experience a lockup. 1-3 times in six rounds. I just power down and up. Troublefree for the rest of the round.

Holding the power button down for 8 seconds doesn't sound too bad, if it guarantees to prevent lockups and no other bugs are found. During the occasional lockup, it does takes time to power down and up, then re-select the course and hole.

I haven't heard Upro state that they will "universally" upgrade the software. Perhaps they are waiting for feedback from owners with the new software. (if anyone has the new software, please post your experiences with it) Additionally, there may be others like myself that have not considered the occasional lockups to warrant an exchange (yet).

Does Upro want you to ship your old unit back immediately?

It would be nice if they let you play a few rounds before you make a decision. If you call them, I bet they'd let you hang onto your old unit for a while longer while you test the new one. Let them know that you'd provide them with feedback. If you have a buddy that is willing to help you out, you could take both units onto the course and see which one holds up better (ie. no lockups or other problems).

hi, I need some help on this one. I just got a replacement upro sent directly to me from the the company, because they thought as i had the white screen while charging, and a few freezeups that the new software would help. While the unit didnt have the white screen while charging, I couldnt power down using the power off, yes and no option. I was forced to use the hard power down, of the 8 seconds sort. My old upro actually is ok, it doesnt freeze up that often and powers down normally, is the new software worth it? Im a pc user so the mac software is of no interest. The only problem again that i have with my orginal is an occasional freeze up, usually upon switching holes, or it catapults me to a hole im not playing. This has happened once or twice in 7 rounds. Advice anyone, which one should i send back? I think the hard power down of holding the button down 8 sec is kind of a pain. Thanks, Neil

If neither one works correctly with the latest software upgrades, I would return both till I got a unit that works correctly. I've used my uPro for one round only without any issues. I most likely have the latest software, etc... since it was just delivered last week after being on back order for over 2 weeks. Good luck.

Been a faithful user of Pinseeker 1500 tourney edtion; my friend picked up a UPRO unit and we played today!!! nice fly-over view and fairly easy to use.................however if I'm playing on a course that I'm pretty familar with, there is less need for a GPS unit and more of a pinseeker need!!! just give me pin yardage and I'll go from there...........the course provided pin area(front,back,middle) and without an exact yardage to pin the UPRO didn't fit my needs

For the person who plays new courses regularly or alot of tournament golf, this is a nice unit, but until they get exact and not close yardages to pin, I don't have a need..............

until they get exact and not close yardages to pin, I don't have a need..............

I bought a uPro a couple of days ago and am still waiting for my home course to be mapped, but doesn't the pro mode show exact (or as exact as a GPS unit will get) yardage to any point on the hole? I thought you could move the cursor around to any point and it would give the yardage.

I've got a Sonocaddie V300 and my playing partners have a SkyCaddie SG4 and SG5, so I'll be interested in the comparison once I get the courses mapped.

until they get exact and not close yardages to pin, I don't have a need..............

I bought a uPro a couple of days ago and am still waiting for my home course to be mapped, but doesn't the pro mode show exact (or as exact as a GPS unit will get) yardage to any point on the hole? I thought you could move the cursor around to any point and it would give the yardage.

I've got a Sonocaddie V300 and my playing partners have a SkyCaddie SG4 and SG5, so I'll be interested in the comparison once I get the courses mapped.

Yes, you can use the measure mode to any point on the green for an exact distance.

Just a follow up to the reply on the measure mode. The uPro allows you take measurements between any two points on the hole...not just at or from the green. Very handy for determining layup locations on long par 5s you're not familiar with.

Titleist 917D 9*

Titleist 917F 15*
Titleist 917F 18*

Mizuno 223 4 iron thru GW

Mizuno 225 3 iron 

Mizuno T22 46*/52*/58*

Sik Pro Putter

Seemore Z Series Limited Edition Putter

Big Max Dri Lite Hybrid Tour

Ecco Golf Shoes

Just a follow up to the reply on the measure mode. The uPro allows you take measurements between any two points on the hole...not just at or from the green. Very handy for determining layup locations on long par 5s you're not familiar with.

I should have mentioned that. The "Measure" function in Pro Mode is a very useful feature. One of the reasons I switched from my SkyCaddie.

What I find great about the measure feature is that you can experiment in preview mode even before you get to the course. You can check out the widest part of the fairways, aim for them, and figure your yardage to the green from there. Naturally it doesnt always go as planned, but knowing the best places to be, and exact yardages, well thats alot.

I just wanted to say what a great source of information this site is! I've been reading reviews on differrent gps's for quite some time now, but it was the information on this forum that made me finally order a uPro. I hope I don't have problems like some are experiencing - when I called the support line they assured me that there have only been issues with a "very small number out of the thousands of units shipped". I guess we'll see.

Based on their course search, I shouldn't have any problem with course availability in my area (CA), but I was wondering if anyone had comments on the quality of the course images - how close do they look to the demo on their website?

I'll find out soon enough, but any experiences would be great!

</P> <P>Based on their course search, I shouldn't have any problem with course availability in my area (CA), but I was wondering if anyone had comments on the quality of the course images - how close do they look to the demo on their website? <BR></P> <P>

The image quality does vary. I have found that golf courses in rural areas have less resolution that metropolitan courses. I'm guessing that there are plenty of high resolution images available for high density population areas, but only medium quality images of the surrounding countryside. This is a similar effect as what you get with Google Earth. Here's a real Upro example. Sunnyvale Muni and San Jose Muni have great images (you can even see the people on the course). San Juan Oaks and Poppy Ridge are a bit blurry. (California courses)

I played a round with my uPro for the first time today. I didn't have any problems using it. Yardages matched the markers on the course. The screen was fine in the sun and I thought it looked a lot nicer than my V300. The hazard view is easier to read. I had no problems with the auto hole advance when I moved to the next hole. I set it to Low Battery Life, and had no issues with it going to sleep when I'd need a yardage. It was still more than half charged when we finished the 18.

Today I played on a course that only had Basic mode available, but I liked it better than the V300 I have. They did map my home course in 4 business days, but my course is closed this week until Friday. I'll have to wait until then to try the Pro mode. I am looking forward to it. So far I am very impressed with the uPro.