Colorado WRX 2015

pseudoswede

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1434300036' post='11749174']I've played Hyland HIlls once, and I thought it was a nice course. Golf league is playing there on 8/16.

I've been holed up in my house all weekend due to vertigo-like symptoms. Missed my daughter's state gymnastics meet yesterday, and I had to cancel golf today. :([/quote]

Dood wtf??? Vertigo? Hope you're better soon!

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1434300036' post='11749174']
I've played Hyland HIlls once, and I thought it was a nice course. Golf league is playing there on 8/16.

I've been holed up in my house all weekend due to vertigo-like symptoms. Missed my daughter's state gymnastics meet yesterday, and I had to cancel golf today. :(
[/quote]

Played Hyland Hills today and played well but wouldn't say I was overly impressed with the course. There are some good holes but a lot of tricky throw away holes. A few holes you can barely miss and others you can blow it all over the lot. Greens were slow first thing but got much more speedy as the greens dried out. Conditions were good but nowhere near great. Amazing value for $40 but pretty much what you would expect for that price. I'll play it again for sure but probably from the tips the next time around.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Played Bear Dance for the first time yesterday. Couldn't figure out the greens on the 1st 9 and shot 45, then had it at 2 under through 6 on the back 9 and put one in the pond in front of hole 7, doubled that, then bogied in for a 38. Happy with the total back score but upset I couldn't hold on to the under par 9 and shoot in the 70s. Oh well. The course was in great shape and beautiful. Had a great time!

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1434375519' post='11753920']
Played Bear Dance for the first time yesterday. Couldn't figure out the greens on the 1st 9 and shot 45, then had it at 2 under through 6 on the back 9 and put one in the pond in front of hole 7, doubled that, then bogied in for a 38. Happy with the total back score but upset I couldn't hold on to the under par 9 and shoot in the 70s. Oh well. The course was in great shape and beautiful. Had a great time!
[/quote]

I've heard great things about Bear Dance, just have not been able to get down there yet!

played it once, I preferred the front 9 to the back... fun track, i thought, good to play it at least one time. Kinda like fossil trace, one and done.

Some combination of the following that adds up to 14:

Titleist TSi3 // Mitsubishi Tensei White CK S 70g
Ping G410 5w // Ping Tour 75 S

Titleist TSi3 20° // KBS Prototype 85X ~or~

Titleist TMB 2i // KBS Tour S

MIzuno MP20 SEL 3-9 // KBS $taper 130x

Titleist SM7 46° 50° 54° 58° // KBS 610 wedge shaft 125 S+
Scotty Cameron Del Mar California
Titleist ProV1x

Bear Dance is one of my favorites. I need to get back out there again.

I played Indian Peaks yesterday. I wasn't all that impressed with the layout of some of the holes, notably #1 and 7. #7 ate my lunch and I took a quadruple. I had no idea what to hit off of the tee to get to the safe landing zone. I then got unlucky with a lie on 9 and doubled it for a 48 on the front. I was none too pleased. Fortunately, I turned it around on the back and shot a 40 - should have been a 38 or 39 had I not choked on my approach after a great drive on 18.

I suffered major putting woes again, missing some easy putts and not getting one birdie. If I was outside of 20', I could almost guarantee a 3-putt. My putting has been downright terrible this year. I need to figure something out...

On the plus side, I may be picking up a used set of Nike VR Pro Combo irons this week. I remember hitting them a couple years ago and falling in love with them. My Mizzy MP-60's have been great, but I'm ready for something new.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Fossil Trace and Bear Dance one and done??? Those are must play courses for me.

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1434384209' post='11754978']
I suffered major putting woes again, missing some easy putts and not getting one birdie. If I was outside of 20', I could almost guarantee a 3-putt. My putting has been downright terrible this year. I need to figure something out...

[/quote]

Are you having trouble judging the speed? I actually went with my wife to her lesson yesterday so I could get some help with my setup on longer shots....anyway I was just sort of messing around chipping when he was giving her a putting lesson, but a drill that seemed to work really well for her was to start with about a 5 footer, then go 10, 15, 20, etc all the way back to about a 40 footer, to just get a sense of feel for the distance. She tends to either crush putts 15 feet past or leave them halfway and this seemed to work really well for her. Might be worth a shot.

If it is just bad green reading, that just takes a lot of time and practice.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

I can read a green reasonably well, but can't control my speed if my life depended on it. Nearly every long putt I had yesterday, i would only get about 1/2 way there. It was pathetic and became comical after a while lol. I rarely putt past the hole, which I need to work on. I will try that drill for sure though, so thanks! Anything at this point! Perhaps you need to sell me your $40 Bettinardi??? :)

Edel E-1

So far that thing has saved me from dropping some coin on an Edel fitting. I don't see it leaving the bag anytime soon.

Speaking of Edel, has anyone watched that video of Bryson DeChambeau talking about his clubs? I don't think I could play with the same length clubs, but his putter looks sick!

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1434386110' post='11755172']
Fossil Trace and Bear Dance one and done??? Those are must play courses for me.
[/quote]

Honestly, this is a result of having my CC membership - the dues "encourage" me to play at home more than travel, so when I do travel, I want to play tracks that I really like, Riverdale Dunes, Ridge @ Castle Pines, Murphy Creek, Heritage @ Westmoor, Fox Hill CC... Nothing wrong with Bear Dance, just not compelling enough to make _me_ drive down to play it. If a group of guys was going to play, I'd for sure tag along, same with Fossil Trace (actually, I think you need to play FT a few times to learn your way around), but I was pretty disgusted that I got penalized for hitting pretty good golf shots the first time I played it, so that probably colors my opinion.

Lefty

Titleist ProV1x

Yes, I totally agree. If I joined a private club, I would not be spending much time/money on golf outside of my home club. Which is why I don't think I could join one....I love the variety we have in the Denver area. Even playing men's league at the same course does get a little tiresome....but I have so much fun it doesn't really bother me.

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1434040649' post='11732468']
[quote name='lefty67' timestamp='1434031413' post='11731430']
[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1434030868' post='11731366']
[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433777898' post='11711052']
Looks like the $45 Bettinardi has officially secured a spot in the bag for good. (well as long as any of us ever leaves a putter in that is)
[/quote]

Darn! I was hoping you'd go through the Edel fitting process so I could get some feedback on it from MetaGolf. That's a heck of a score though!
[/quote]

I've got two buddies who both have Edel putters, went through the process - couple years since they were fit, and they're both really pleased with the process and they're putting... Not sure if that helps...
[/quote]

Did they do it at MetaGolf? I'm curious if the fitting process is consistent from fitter to fitter.
[/quote]

Sorry for the slow reply, yes - they did it at MetaGolf, Stan Sayers was the fitter.

Lefty

Titleist ProV1x

Now I just need to convince the wife that it's absolutely necessary for me to spend the money, and that it will undoubtedly save my putting game lol

Edel E-1

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1434386564' post='11755212']
Perhaps you need to sell me your $40 Bettinardi??? :)
[/quote]

Too late. I got first dibs. :D

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1434384209' post='11754978']
Bear Dance is one of my favorites. I need to get back out there again.

I played Indian Peaks yesterday. I wasn't all that impressed with the layout of some of the holes, notably #1 and 7. #7 ate my lunch and I took a quadruple. I had no idea what to hit off of the tee to get to the safe landing zone. I then got unlucky with a lie on 9 and doubled it for a 48 on the front. I was none too pleased. Fortunately, I turned it around on the back and shot a 40 - should have been a 38 or 39 had I not choked on my approach after a great drive on 18.

On the plus side, I may be picking up a used set of Nike VR Pro Combo irons this week. I remember hitting them a couple years ago and falling in love with them. My Mizzy MP-60's have been great, but I'm ready for something new.
[/quote]

#7 is hybrid/wedge depending on the tees you are playing from. It's a tricky hole but there should have been a plaque at the front of each box telling you the ideal distance to the landing area. The problem is you have to be far enough down to not be blocked out by the gigantic tree. It's usually 190-230 yard shot depending on the box you are playing.

#1 you don't hit driver - it's usually 3-wood/layup/wedge into the par-5.

Apparently I missed the plaque on 7 - in fact, all of us did. Definitely would have helped! When I don't feel comfortable with my club selection, I tend to find the worst swing possible, which certainly happened on that one lol.

And I don't like par 5's that I can't go driver off the tee. I hit a beautiful 3w to start the day, but I would have liked to have a chance to go big.

Edel E-1

16-year-old shot a 61 at Commonground over the weekend at an AJGA event. Crazy.

Edited to add: oops. It was about two weeks ago.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1434397068' post='11756538']

[/quote]

WOWZERS! My best score ever there is a 79. It's not a tough course but I just can't get lower than that. I felt pretty good with that as my low score at that course...until you posted this! That is crazy low, I don't care where you are playing.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1434397367' post='11756590']
[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1434397068' post='11756538']

[/quote]

WOWZERS! My best score ever there is a 79. It's not a tough course but I just can't get lower than that. I felt pretty good with that as my low score at that course...until you posted this! That is crazy low, I don't care where you are playing.
[/quote]

I play men's league at a par 62, and in the past two season's nobody has shot a 61....there have been a couple 62's....my best thus far is 65. Shorter doesn't always mean easier.

I re-grip my own, I'm somewhat particular, and I have nobody to blame but me if I do it wrong. Truth is - it is super easy to re-grip your own clubs, once you've done it once. That first time is a bit nervous, but then it's pretty easy.

That's just how I roll.
Lefty

Titleist ProV1x

I just got my regripping station set up on my work bench in my garage. I used to be a club builder at Golfsmith a few years back so I am very particular about how my clubs are gripped, especially since I use ribbed grips. I also enjoy spending time out in the garage working on my clubs and soon I will have the tools to cut and reshaft clubs, so that will be even more fun for me. If I had to go anywhere though, it would be the Park Meadows Golfsmith. They have some good club work guys at that location, as does the Westminster location, but that is pretty far from us down south.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1434554526' post='11768904']
Where do you guys get your clubs re-gripped? Looking for the best value while making sure they don't screw them up.
[/quote]

I do it myself in my basement. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Last time I got clubs regripped was at the Park Meadows Golfsmith. No complaints--then again, those clubs were immediately relocated to Sweden, and I use them about 4 times a year.

I usually got to PGA SS but seriously thinking about trying it myself using an air compressor. Seems pretty straight forward. Any tricks for ensure the grip is lined up right?

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

i tried the air compressor thing - didn't seem as easy as the Internet implied... but maybe that's just me.

Using tape + solvent is easy enough. I'd guess it takes me 10-15 minutes per club, with most of that time spent cleaning the old tape off the shaft.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1434561137' post='11769706']
For 10-15 minutes per club, it almost seems worth it to pay the $1-2 each. Can they really screw it up that badly?
[/quote]

With the proper tools, like a good tape removing tool and grip removing blade, a clamp that fits in a vice, and good double sided tape and solvent, I can take the old grips off and get the new ones on an entire set of clubs in 20-35 mins. I bet I could do it even faster than that, but 30 mins would be my typical time. Use a torch to heat the tape up and it will come off nice and fast and easy.

[attachment=2811954:gripstation2.JPG]

Here is what I am workin with...

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

no, probably not... but I enjoy doing it. Well, usually... funny story.

Got invited to play in the TaylorMade Invitational in Cabo last year. Put off re-gripping for whatever reason, and suddenly, it was the night before we were leaving, and it was like 10* out - the event is in November...

So I'm out in the garage freezing my butt off trying to get my clubs re-gripped, and honestly - the solvent doesn't work very well at 10*. Painful experience, the next morning at like 5:00am, as we're all heading to the airport, one of my playing partners tells me, he did his too, and expressed the same experience about the cold weather. Then our third guy (3 ams, 1pro), says - you guys should have come to my place, I have a station in the basement, heated...

O I C :russian_roulette:

Titleist ProV1x