2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blink3665's WITB Post #TwistFaceExperience 2018

UPDATE: POST #18

I have been meaning to do a WITB for quite a while. I even took pictures a few times. However, it seems that my bag is always changing. I have slowed down the Ho-Go-Round quite a bit towards the end of last season. I think I am pretty set with what I have at this point, and I hope that I stick to a bag this year. That being said, the Nike hybrid is in jeopardy. I may switch to MD2 wedges for my 50* and 54*. (I prefer the rounder leading edge.) A set of custom Best Grips is definitely in the cards for this season. Classic black with Lime stitching and some sort of engraving for everything except the wedges. The wedges will get the gridiron treatment.

Taylormade SLDR 430 with 2 weight modification. 2x 6g weights with toe screw. 12* head cranked down/open to 10.5* - I'm still monkeying around with the weight configuration. Stock shaft currently. I have a few shafts to try out this spring. The Kusala White will probably win out. :) I haven't been on a machine since I made the alteration. TBH I haven't noticed a big difference in forgiveness or spin. However, I have been working out some serious issues with my driver.

Taylormade VSteel 18* 5 wood. RIP alpha 80g.

Nike VR Pro II - 21* - Project X 6.0

Adams Pro Gold 23* - Stock Matrix Ozik Altus - Stiff

Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW - 1* up - KBS Tour R+

Callaway X Series JAWS - MD grooves - 52/12 bent to 50/10 - 54/14 - Spinner shafts

Callaway MD2 - 58/10 U grind - Spinner shaft

Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4* - My son’s initials and birth date. I’m going to have to get this re-stamped with my daughter’s initials and birth date (coming in the next week or so).

I am currently using a Titleist Sta-Dry bag. I use it through April. Then I plan on switching back to my GolfWRX white. I love that thing. Fore Leaf did the custom club covers. I have one for a hybrid as well, but it's a little loose and tends to fall off. :(

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kees' timestamp='1427817800' post='11253069']
That is one long neck on that putter. What's the balance like? Massive toe-hang or more neutral?
[/quote]

The first pic of the putter shows the toe hang. I don't know if I adapted my swing to the putter, or if it just fits my swing (That's a lie... I adapted).

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='pingman35awg' timestamp='1427838525' post='11255943']
Nice bag. I would say nice covers but Im a niners fan
[/quote]

Thansk! You guys are shaping up to have an .... erm.... interesting team this year.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

• 2 months later...

Ok. I added some Edel Wedges in the DVR grind. That's 50/16*, 54/18*, 58/22*. The massive bounce is awesome. My short game has grown substantially so far this season. These wedges have made me even more accurate. I'm still gauging distances on my 1/2 - full shots. However, chipping is money. I stripped the black paintfill and put in lime green. I'm going to add blue for the numbers. I can't emphasis enough how great having this bounce is. :)

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

Hey Bro, I hope that all's well and You're Havin a great season!!!

Very Very sweet bag-

Literally, haha, cuz the WRX Bag is Saweeeet!!!

Love the Pro Gold hybrid and sock- can't ever beat old school :)

Beautiful putter and your wedges are Killer!!

An incredible set-up!!

I hope that those wedges continue to dial in and that putter gives you many birdies :)

Stay Well Bro :)

All the Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Very solid set, especially fond of the v-steel and the putter. The entire set shows thought for what works best for you, not blind loyalty to a single manufacturer. Hope you enjoy the clubs, time on the course, and play well!

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1435084932' post='11820072']
Wait a second....... Where did you get that wrx bag?
[/quote]

LOL. I jumped on that one as soon as I saw it. They made 5 from what I'm told.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1435121372' post='11823984']
Hey Bro, I hope that all's well and You're Havin a great season!!!

Very Very sweet bag-

Literally, haha, cuz the WRX Bag is Saweeeet!!!

Love the Pro Gold hybrid and sock- can't ever beat old school :)

Beautiful putter and your wedges are Killer!!

An incredible set-up!!

I hope that those wedges continue to dial in and that putter gives you many birdies :)

Stay Well Bro :)

All the Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Thanks man. My index has dropped from a 22.5 last year at this time to a 17.5 this year. I'm finding more fairways. But I really attribute it to the time I've put in on the wedges and putting. I'm rolling in WAY more 10 footers than I used to and I'm chipping to within 10' way more often. Now I just need to hit more FIRs and GIRs.....

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1435121966' post='11824022']
Very solid set, especially fond of the v-steel and the putter. The entire set shows thought for what works best for you, not blind loyalty to a single manufacturer. Hope you enjoy the clubs, time on the course, and play well!
[/quote]

Thanks. Unfortunately, this is the bag of a lot of ho'ing and experimenting. The good news is that I have dialed in what I really want. What suits my eye, and what suits my game. It doesn't mean I don't trick anymore. It just means that I'm more specific when I do. :)

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

[quote name='ewill' timestamp='1435129114' post='11824220']
nice bag. the ap2's are definitely some long irons, carry wise. How do you like that adams hybrid? i am not a fan of hybrids in general but had that hybrid.. wasnt my favorite club in the bag, by far.
[/quote]

TBH. I'm always looking for more distance and accuracy with my woods and hybrids. I'm not a long hitter. The Adams has been good to me. I bounced between the Proto Gold and a a12Pro. The A12Pro suited my eye, but the Proto gold was more forgiving. Since I took those pics I have switched both the Nike VRs Pro II and the Adams Proto Gold. I replaced the Proto Gold with a VR-S hybrid. It looks more like a fairway, but it gives me a high-straight ball flight and good distance. It's also forgiving. I can't dig 'em out of the rough like I used to with the Proto Gold, but I haven't found that I miss that part all that much. I dropped the VRs Pro II 21* as well. Right now I don't carry anything between the VSteel and the VR-S hybrid. I have a 21* VR-S hybrid that I'm thinking about putting in, or I have a VSteel 7w.... I dunno. It's a work in progress.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1435159295' post='11825756']
[quote name='ewill' timestamp='1435129114' post='11824220']
nice bag. the ap2's are definitely some long irons, carry wise. How do you like that adams hybrid? i am not a fan of hybrids in general but had that hybrid.. wasnt my favorite club in the bag, by far.
[/quote]

TBH. I'm always looking for more distance and accuracy with my woods and hybrids. I'm not a long hitter. The Adams has been good to me. I bounced between the Proto Gold and a a12Pro. The A12Pro suited my eye, but the Proto gold was more forgiving. Since I took those pics I have switched both the Nike VRs Pro II and the Adams Proto Gold. I replaced the Proto Gold with a VR-S hybrid. It looks more like a fairway, but it gives me a high-straight ball flight and good distance. It's also forgiving. I can't dig 'em out of the rough like I used to with the Proto Gold, but I haven't found that I miss that part all that much. I dropped the VRs Pro II 21* as well. Right now I don't carry anything between the VSteel and the VR-S hybrid. I have a 21* VR-S hybrid that I'm thinking about putting in, or I have a VSteel 7w.... I dunno. It's a work in progress.
[/quote]

nice. hope everything plays out well for you!

• 2 years later...

It has been a long time since I have updated my WITB. My signature has changed throughout the seasons, but I haven’t really done anything top to bottom. (I’m not delusional. I know that no one cares.) I was lucky enough to go on the #TwistFaceExperience trip to The Kingdom this winter. I got to try out all the goodies and get fit for my driver. When I made the trip I had a completely different bag from what I have today. The only remaining club from the trip is the SW.

Pre- Kingdom trip bag:

Callaway XR16 - 9.5* - Speeder 565 - Regular

Taylormade TI SLDR Mini - 16* - Aldila RIP Phenom - 70g - Stiff

Taylormade VSteel - 18* - Aldila NVS - Regular

Taylormade VSteel - 21* - TT DG s300

Nike Vapor Pro Combo - 5-PW - DG Pro 105 - Stiff

Cleveland RTX3 - 49*/54*/58* - TT - Wedge

Odyssey 2-Ball - 32.5”

Post- Kingdom bag

Driver: Taylormade Tour Issue M4 - 9.5* - Matrix White Tie - MFS X5 55g - Stiff

Obviously, when you go get fit at The Kingdom you’re getting a top shelf fitting. I tried all the heads and the M4 was the best for me. Loft stayed the same. Shaft weight stayed the same. I was put into a Stiff instead of a Regular shaft. My fitter let me know that I have a very tempo based swing. If my tempo is slightly off the whippyness of the 565 Speeder was making it hard for me to make solid contact. I’m able to crank it to higher gear if needed as well with no worries about the whippyness. I have a full write up in the #TwistFaceExperience thread, so I won’t get into all that here.

Woods/Hybrids: The SLDR Mini was a life saver for me when I gave up on my driver (pre XR16). It is a constant fairway finder and has plenty of distance. It’s not easy to hit off the fairway, but it’s not the hardest either. The VSteels really need no introduction. I replaced them with the new Taylormade offerings this year. The M3 3HL is excellent. It’s longer than the SLDR Mini and significantly easier to elevate from the fairway. The part that I don’t like is the weight track. I like the adjustability. However, I play in muddy winter and spring. That weight track gets jammed up with mud and grass pretty easily. I had to remove the weight after rounds in order to get it clean. I went with the White Tie 60g since it paired well with my driver shaft. I replaced the venerable VSteels with M4 hybrids. I have been a club ho since day 1. I understand that this may have hurt my long term game, and that most of the clubs won’t help me. (It’s not you… It’s me.) That being said, the M4 hybrids are my favorite clubs that I have ever tried. EVER. I don’t know if it’s the head, the shaft, or the combo. These things go straight and high. They are easy to launch from any lie. I’m not looking to work the ball with these (good thing.. Because I can’t). I just want something that will go long and straight, and these deliver in spades. 3 and 4 hybrids are paired with ProForce V2 84g hybrid shafts in regular. I went with regular because in the past the stiff V2s have been pretty stout for me. I was even second guessing them after I placed the order and had been pricing out other hybrid shafts that were less stout. My mistake.

Irons: These were gonna get replaced this year. Not sure if it was due to a swing change, but I lost around 10 yards while I played with the Nikes. My last set of irons that I loved were the 714 AP2s with KBS Tour 120s. While I was at The Kingdom I fell in love with the P790s. I had already demo’d them at my local shop. I was totally committed. I ordered the P790s with Modus 105 stiff. 2* flat. 0.5” short. Unfortunately, they came as C6 instead of D2. I called back and they said they would order me a new build but couldn’t guarantee that it would be any different. I slapped 12g of lead tape on them and waited for my new build. I called back 2 weeks after the date I was told I would receive my irons. They informed me that there was no new build even ordered ordered. They let me send my original irons back as a warranty refund and the search started again. I landed on the Srixon 565 5-PW with Modus 120s and 2* flat. I went with a stock length. ;) I changed from the Modus 105 to the 120. I’m glad I went with the change. My tempo has been better and I’m hitting the ball better than I have in a long time.

Wedges: I hated my GW. For some reason the 49* was difficult for me to hit full shots with. I decided that I needed all the forgiveness possible. So i went with the Cleveland CBX 48*. It’s big. It has a high leading edge. It’s forgiving as f*%k. For full shots this thing is great. For chips, it’s good. If you want to open that face... um… not so much. As RonSwanson (Kenton) put it, "That's gonna be a pass for me dawg.". It's definitely not for everyone. Cleveland RTX3 54* is still in the bag. It was an easy choice to put the Hi Toe in the bag to replace the RTX3 LW. I havent found a lie that I can’t hit that Hi Toe out of. I’ve never used a LW for a full shot, so I can’t comment on that.

Putter: I had a horrible case of the yips at the beginning of last year. It was bad enough that I couldn’t putt tap ins. I switched to the Odyssey 2Ball and started making putts again. No one will ever mistake me for being a great putter, but it’s better than being known for being a horrible one. I switched back to my Slighter Custom Proto this year and things have been great. I decided to re-post pics so you can see how the finish has worn. I like that it has wear spots. It gives it character.

Bag/Headcovers: The GolfWRX bag has been in the summer rotation since I bought it. At The Kingdom they gave all the WRXers a free new Taylormade bag. The only caveat was that they had to leave their existing bag. Pft. Like I’m going to leave this baby there. The putter shoe is a custom job. It was made by a friend of Tom Slighter’s in England. It is Irish Tweed and Japanese silk. The Driver and 3w headcovers were made by Fore Leaf. They both have the number 12 for my love of the Seahawks. I bought them with some of my winnings from the super bowl win.

Extras: I always keep a Nuun energy tube in my bag. I play a lot of dewsweeper rounds at 5 AM. I never have time for coffee, so the Nuun Energy helps. I’ll grab a breakfast bar on the way out the door and then hit a Powerbar Gel pack on the turn. It’s enough to keep me going. This year I picked up a Smathers & Branson needlepoint Masters flask. I always have it filled with some form of my favorite brown liquor. Currently it holds Johnny Walker Island Green (Generally not used during the drew sweeper rounds. ;)). I have 2 Seamus bags that I bought during their grab bag. The big one has my pipe and my pipe tobacco. The small one keeps all the stuff that I use every round. I have my Lamb Pop Top that I put a red/white/blue paintfill on. I have my own damascus hand ground ball mark repair tool. You gotta have a few tees and a backup repair tool. A pipe isn’t much good without a lighter. Athletic tape and a customized scorecard holder round out the essentials.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link