Changes YOU'D LIKE TO SEE to the game of golf

Title is self explanatory... I'll begin with a few of mine. Just clarify WHY the game would be better with your changes.

1) NO MORE OB! NO MORE LOST BALLS!

It's my belief that these two penalties are far too severe for the game. I'm also a big believer in simplifying things. Keep the yellow stakes and the red stakes, and keep the penalties associated.

Stroke AND distance can make a competitive round a blowout in a heartbeat. Take Brendan Grace's gaff in the US OPEN. If he isn't reteeing shot #3, he still has a chance. I've seen too many rounds derailed by a shot OB.

I play enough courses with OB on pretty much every hole that it takes away from the game. I'd rather be tempted to cut a corner, miss, and face a one stroke penalty as opposed to avoiding half of many holes just to prevent the big penalty.

Same with lost balls. Any stroke and distance penalty is TOO severe, IMO.

2) Education becoming a bigger part of the game.

If you play a lot, and you play with different people, then it's probably come to your attention just how few people know certain basics of the game. How to properly fix a pitch mark, how to properly rake a bunker, how to lower a flag on a soft green without leaving a massive scar, how to pull and replace a pin without hitting the lip, etc.

I don't see this ignorance as a personal flaw because a lot of people simply do not know. People that have entered the game by themselves and really don't know protocols at all. I believe that a golf course should take more responsibility for ensuring that guests know and follow the rules. I've yet to go to a course and see ANY literature or pamphlets on "How to properly fix a pitch mark" "Why it's important to fix divots" "Tips for improving pace of play", etc.

Mandatory etiquette course for new players, and, like a license, you have to renew yours every 5 years or so.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Get rid of O.B. and keep red and yellow stakes instead. That should speed up play quite a bit (not having to re-tee and hitting 3 off the tee).

Play old sand-filled divots like G.U.R.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

to.

Some good points in here for sure!

1) remove the provisional ball, if you hit one out of bounds or lost, just drop where the ball landed with a penalty stroke and hit from there. It would speed up the game and make it more enjoyable.

2) mandatory etiquette courses for beginners, this is something I have been thinking about For years. just think how much this would speed up the game and greens and fairways would be better taken care of as well.

3)as mentioned above, if a drive ends up in a divot in the fairway I think the golfer should be rewarded with a decent lie by removing the golf ball from the debit and placing it on to undamaged fairway.

4) Mandatory time limits for each hole.

No more ob? No more lost balls?

You'd "rather try to cut a corner, fail and take a one stroke penalty" from WHERE? Yeah just drop it anywhere in the general 40 yard vicinity of where you think maybe you were unable to keep the ball on the golf course. Thats not "more fair" to anybody except the hero in question.

Nothing stops abybody from playing by any rules they want. If its more enjoyable to just randomly drop balls whereever you like, immediately text all your friends that you just "broke 80" go for it! And feel free to try and enjoy that "score", if you can. Just dont keep a handicap

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

If I were appointed the King of worldwide golf there are a number of little changes I might adopt. One would involve tee colors.

My realm would adopt a uniform set of tee colors for all courses. It could be something like: gold, silver, orange, white, tan, blue, green, black, purple and red. Each color would represent a maximum distance so gold would mean under 5,000 yards, silver 5,000-5,249, orange 5,250-5,499, white 5,500-5,749, tan 5,750-5,999, blue 6,000-6,249, green 6,250-6,499, black 6,500-6,749, purple 6,750-6,999 and red 7,000+.

This would put in perspective the passive and not so passive brags about being a “Blue” tee player. When a player tells a story and mentions he was, of course, playing from the “Red” tees, I can be suitably impressed.

Spike marks rule is backwards. I understand the divot rule and it makes sense but on the green you have your ball in hand and the green is designed to be a specific smoothness/speed. The fact that you let players repair them after they put out doesn't make sense if you won't allow players who are currently playing to do so. Same with allowing to repair ball marks.

The divot thing is a non-starter. You'd basically wind up playing lift, clean, and place through the green. At what point does a divot cease to be a divot? What if the sod was replaced? Poorly? Dead grass? You'd have nothing but arguments over whether the ground was in fact an old divot. That's golf. Play it as it lies. Sometimes you get a lucky break, and some times the luck breaks you.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1435603012' post='11856292']
[quote name='crater_divots' timestamp='1435591087' post='11854968']

I play enough courses with OB on pretty much every hole that it takes away from the game.

[/quote]

Indeed, OB on every hole without question takes away from the game. Suggestion: Seek out better courses.
[/quote]

Or put driver in trunk.

OB doesn't bother me too much but the lost ball penalty needs to change. Especially when it's lost in the rough/leaves. We don't play with marshals who can put a flag where the finished. If all players can agree on the location then it should be good to go.

I would actually like it if a ball hit a cartpath it's an automatic rehit like a powerline. Too many courses have the path way too close to the green

Proof of hc to play certain sets of tees would be great

TM SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Speeder
Cobra Bio Cell+ 13.5* w/ Matrix
Srixon ZTXII w/ TT TC X1
TM ATV 52*/58* w/ KBS Tour Black (Tiger Stepped)
[size=4]Scotty Cameron Golo[/size]

Divots in the fairway should be G.U.R. If there is any talk about that being too hard to define, it's not, it's just like all other G.U.R., we let the partners in the group decide.

I would like to see courses watch the course and pace of play more often, but I think the problem lies with courses slamming tee times every 6-7 minutes.

I would also like to see courses harp the courtesy of letting people who are faster play through. I understand there are some instances where that's not possible or when there is a 2some in between 5-6 4somes.

I don't think we need to get rid of O.B. because in most of my cases, it's up against someones backyard or up against a road.

I think in general we need to find a way to make golf education fun or rewarding. There are too many people who go out and play and have no idea what they are doing. Sometimes it's bad for the course because they don't know how to repair divots or ball marks on the green. If there was a way to reward taking a class. Maybe the public tracks can give out a 4 pack of free golf for completing a course etiquette class or something!

[quote name='coloradogolf72' timestamp='1435605456' post='11856540']
Divots in the fairway should be G.U.R. If there is any talk about that being too hard to define, it's not, it's just like all other G.U.R., we let the partners in the group decide.
[/quote]

GUR is clearly marked by paint and/or stakes. Is every divot going to be similarly marked? I'm guessing not. So, you're suggesting that every time someone's ball may be in a divot, you're going to call a committee meeting? Like we need more things to slow down the game. Will it require a unanimous decision, or simple majority?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1435603375' post='11856330']
I'd like to see a rule allowing free relief (or at least allowing a local rule) from dangerous ground conditions, specifically roots.
[/quote]

Yea I like that, I normally just tell my playing partners in these cases I'll take a stroke but I'm not hitting off of a root

TSR3 8 - Ventus Black 6x
TaylorMade Stealth + 15 - Ventus TR 8x
Titleist T150 3 - Modus 3 120x
Titleist T100 4-PW - Modus 3 120x
SM9 50, 56, 60 - Modus 3 120x
LAB

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1435596962' post='11855604'] No more ob? No more lost balls? You'd "rather try to cut a corner, fail and take a one stroke penalty" from WHERE? Yeah just drop it anywhere in the general 40 yard vicinity of where you think maybe you were unable to keep the ball on the golf course. Thats not "more fair" to anybody except the hero in question. Nothing stops abybody from playing by any rules they want. If its more enjoyable to just randomly drop balls whereever you like, immediately text all your friends that you just "broke 80" go for it! And feel free to try and enjoy that "score", if you can. Just dont keep a handicap [/quote]

Save your theatrics for someone else. OB and lost balls would be treated just like a lateral hazard. Drop in line with where it entered the hazard no closer to the hole.

All course play should be treated as competition. Bring back the squishy ball. Other than that, leave it the hell alone.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='Kenny Lee Puckett' timestamp='1435615419' post='11857570'] you could argue a move to a 15 club rule. every player has one yardage gap at either the top or bottom of the bag because we have to prioritize carrying one more wood/hybrid vs wedge or vice versa. [/quote]

I kind of disagree (but not passionately, so this will be my only rebuttal)

I think that golf being a game of skill means that players should be rewarded by their ability to hit different shots in different situations. I'd be happy if the max club rule was 12. Make people learn to hit different trajectories to cover different yardage gaps.

[quote name='On The Screws' timestamp='1435603375' post='11856330']
I'd like to see a rule allowing free relief (or at least allowing a local rule) from dangerous ground conditions, specifically roots.
[/quote]

A root ruined a good friend of mines professional career. I don't recall where he was playing (somewhere down south I believe) and he hit out of the rough, hit a root and it tore some of the muscles in his right hand thumb area. He says his swing has never been the same after that....even though he is still a + handicap.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='crater_divots' timestamp='1435615627' post='11857592']
[quote name='Kenny Lee Puckett' timestamp='1435615419' post='11857570'] you could argue a move to a 15 club rule. every player has one yardage gap at either the top or bottom of the bag because we have to prioritize carrying one more wood/hybrid vs wedge or vice versa. [/quote]

I kind of disagree (but not passionately, so this will be my only rebuttal)

I think that golf being a game of skill means that players should be rewarded by their ability to hit different shots in different situations. I'd be happy if the max club rule was 12. Make people learn to hit different trajectories to cover different yardage gaps.
[/quote]

I don't remember where I read it but someone said, in regards to the 14 club rule: "I think a golfer should be able to carry as many clubs as they want. Hell, most can't hit the 14 they have in their bags properly anyway, maybe adding a few more will actually help them!"

Personally, I could MAYBE go with 1 more, but that is a gigantic maybe. I don't know where I would fill in that gap (probably a wedge) but it would most likely be a club I would use once every 5 or so rounds, so it probably wouldn't even be worth it.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Get rid of OB? Wut? The whole point of risky shots, e.g. cutting a corner, is that if you miss you are penalized. Make the safer shot (and in most amateurs' cases) shoot the lower score.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

[quote name='Illest' timestamp='1435616658' post='11857672']
Get rid of OB? Wut? The whole point of risky shots, e.g. cutting a corner, is that if you miss you are penalized. Make the safer shot (and in most amateurs' cases) shoot the lower score.
[/quote]

Your still getting penalized (stroke) just not double penalized (stroke and distance).

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS