Changes YOU'D LIKE TO SEE to the game of golf

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1435616887' post='11857704'] [quote name='Illest' timestamp='1435616658' post='11857672'] Get rid of OB? Wut? The whole point of risky shots, e.g. cutting a corner, is that if you miss you are penalized. Make the safer shot (and in most amateurs' cases) shoot the lower score. [/quote] Your still getting penalized (stroke) just not double penalized (stroke and distance). [/quote]

^Yep.

I have said it before and caught a lot of flak for it, but no player should ever be penalized due to the laziness of another. I am referring to footprints in bunkers that go unraked and landing in divots in the fairway.

Just yesterday I got one of the best drives of the day on a hard par 5 drawing it around the corner and placing myself into a great position to layup. Unfortunately my ball was in a deep divot and I had to swing down a little more with a wedge just to advance it. I took a bogey on the hole because my layup distance was too far out to get it close, I pulled the shot into the sand, and didn't get it up and down. And all because another player was too lazy to fill their divot with sand that is provided on each and every cart.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

divots in fairway are G.U.R

I don't think they should remove O.B. because it changes the way a hole plays. Imagine a short par 4 with Ob surrounding the green. if it is changed from ob to hazard, then everyone who can reach the green would go for it without thinking of the risk, because if you hit it into the "hazard", you still have an up and down for par, instead of having to make birdie for bogey/par for double. OB makes you think and weigh risk vs. reward. also if you're not playing a tournament, you can always just play ob/lost ball as lateral hazard if you want.

[quote name='AlecEmersonGolf' timestamp='1435620048' post='11858040'] also if you're not playing a tournament, you can always just play ob/lost ball as lateral hazard if you want. [/quote]

I don't want to be "that guy"... but no, you can't.

I suppose you can do whatever you want in reality, but if you follow the rules and record handicaps, you can't just fudge the rules however you like.

I would like to comment on your point of "playing a hole differently" with OB present vs. a hazard. You act as if hitting into a hazard isn't a concern because one can still possible get up and down for par. But that's part of the beauty of those hazards. You are punished for your errant shot, but if you follow it up with a great shot then you can get right back on track. Just like the game should be.

If you tee off on a short par 4 and Go OB, you now have to hit 2 absurdly great shots (drive the green, make the putt) to get back on track. The penalty is too severe.

I have a course nearby in which 7 of the 9 holes on the front 9 have OB on them, and very much in play. It's not uncommon for someone to have a great round going and find OB twice and they're completely done. You really can't recover from OB...

I'm with Shipwreck.....Mandatory Etiquette classes. When I was a kid, you weren't allowed on the local courses unless you knew proper etiquette....

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1435624932' post='11858644']
Sandbaggers should be shot.
[/quote]

The pot calling the kettle black is not a strong enough phrase here...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

If you become a member on WRX, you must post a swing video...sorry not the game, but I would love to click on certain profiles and see that 300yd+ baby draw with the perfect follow through.....oh the game? Fix 1-2 ball marks when on green, simple request

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435606601' post='11856666']
[quote name='coloradogolf72' timestamp='1435605456' post='11856540']
Divots in the fairway should be G.U.R. If there is any talk about that being too hard to define, it's not, it's just like all other G.U.R., we let the partners in the group decide.
[/quote]

GUR is clearly marked by paint and/or stakes. Is every divot going to be similarly marked? I'm guessing not. So, you're suggesting that every time someone's ball may be in a divot, you're going to call a committee meeting? Like we need more things to slow down the game. Will it require a unanimous decision, or simple majority?
[/quote] so maybe they wouldn't call divots "GUR" by the definition in the rules of golf, but it can just be an immovable obstruction.

[quote name='crater_divots' timestamp='1435622796' post='11858374']
[quote name='AlecEmersonGolf' timestamp='1435620048' post='11858040'] also if you're not playing a tournament, you can always just play ob/lost ball as lateral hazard if you want. [/quote]

I don't want to be "that guy"... but no, you can't.

I suppose you can do whatever you want in reality, but if you follow the rules and record handicaps, you can't just fudge the rules however you like.

I would like to comment on your point of "playing a hole differently" with OB present vs. a hazard. You act as if hitting into a hazard isn't a concern because one can still possible get up and down for par. But that's part of the beauty of those hazards. You are punished for your errant shot, but if you follow it up with a great shot then you can get right back on track. Just like the game should be.

If you tee off on a short par 4 and Go OB, you now have to hit 2 absurdly great shots (drive the green, make the putt) to get back on track. The penalty is too severe.

I have a course nearby in which 7 of the 9 holes on the front 9 have OB on them, and very much in play. It's not uncommon for someone to have a great round going and find OB twice and they're completely done. You really can't recover from OB...
[/quote] Thats where we disagree, I don't think the penalty of stroke and distance is too severe. part of the game is knowing where you miss the ball, and how much risk you can take on.

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1435594254' post='11855320']
Mandatory etiquette course for new players, and, like a license, you have to renew yours every 5 years or so.
[/quote]

That's the way it is in Germany. You have to get a "license." It's a one-day course and it costs about US$4-500.

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1435620046' post='11858038']
I have said it before and caught a lot of flak for it, but no player should ever be penalized due to the laziness of another. I am referring to footprints in bunkers that go unraked and landing in divots in the fairway.

Just yesterday I got one of the best drives of the day on a hard par 5 drawing it around the corner and placing myself into a great position to layup. Unfortunately my ball was in a deep divot and I had to swing down a little more with a wedge just to advance it. I took a bogey on the hole because my layup distance was too far out to get it close, I pulled the shot into the sand, and didn't get it up and down. And all because another player was too lazy to fill their divot with sand that is provided on each and every cart.
[/quote]

Simple. Learn to hit from a divot, as it's part of the game. When your ball hits a tree, and bounces back into the fairway, do you want to be required to pick up the ball and throw it into the trees? Lucky and bad breaks are part of the game, and even out over time.

I do agree that lazy a-holes should fix their divots.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='AlecEmersonGolf' timestamp='1435629876' post='11859342']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435606601' post='11856666']
[quote name='coloradogolf72' timestamp='1435605456' post='11856540']
Divots in the fairway should be G.U.R. If there is any talk about that being too hard to define, it's not, it's just like all other G.U.R., we let the partners in the group decide.
[/quote]

GUR is clearly marked by paint and/or stakes. Is every divot going to be similarly marked? I'm guessing not. So, you're suggesting that every time someone's ball may be in a divot, you're going to call a committee meeting? Like we need more things to slow down the game. Will it require a unanimous decision, or simple majority?
[/quote] so maybe they wouldn't call divots "GUR" by the definition in the rules of golf, but it can just be an immovable obstruction.
[/quote]

So basically golf becomes miniature golf, but instead of windmills and clowns, we have divots. It's not an obstruction. It's bad turf. If I land in the rough, sometimes I have a nice fluffy lie, and other times the ball sits down. 'Dems the breaks. Should I be allowed to drop my ball in the rough if I don't like the lie?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I would love to see courses dry down the fairways and focus pm using that money towards keeping the greens in better shape year round.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Bring back caddies and caddie programs (for enjoyment and to employ more youth at something other than fast food and retail)
Hourly rates or per hole rates, I'd much rather walk 4-5 holes than go to the range
I think ob needs an overhaul. I understand not playing out of someone's backyard but if your ball is an inch in the yard with an otherwise open shot to the green that's a bit silly of you ask me. Plus OB should be consistent throughout the course. On #1 at my home course I can swing away and if I snap it left I'm in the lake with a drop around 100 yards out, and almost all of the course is a hazard down the left, but you gotta blow it way left, until you get to 16, then anything left of the left center of the fairway will be ob due to the feed off the ground and you're usually about 1-2' feet ob after a shot that is less than 5 yards out of the fairway. My .02

Callaway GBB Oban devotion
V Steel 13 s300 steel shaft
Adams prototype 18* vs Proto
Adams prototype 23* Aldila rip
Razr X tour 5-pw vs Proto
Cleveland cg14 48
Callaway md3 s grind 52
Vokey 58
Odyssey WH 7

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1435620046' post='11858038']

[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435631334' post='11859576'][quote name='Medic' timestamp='1435620046' post='11858038']

[/quote]

Simple. Learn to hit from a divot, as it's part of the game. When your ball hits a tree, and bounces back into the fairway, do you want to be required to pick up the ball and throw it into the trees? Lucky and bad breaks are part of the game, and even out over time.

I do agree that lazy a-holes should fix their divots.[/quote]

Not a good comparison. Divot represents something that was not a part of the course design. The tree was. And my point has always been that no one player should be penalized by another players laziness.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Future golf perhaps: Display boards at tee boxes showing [i]your shot trace [/i](you're welcome) along with pin position on each green before you get there.
Clubs that give you feedback on your shot to a kindle type pad, or an earpad.
Creative glasses that give you the vision to play at night.
Underground course warmers that keep the course warm enough to let us northerners play year round.
Club washers at the tee box also (how hard can that be?)

I like a lot of the ideas on here. I do think the game has gotten to the point where the amateur game needs a separate set of rules from the pro game. They have a ton of advantage in terms of course conditioning, an audience to help find the ball and not having to deal with people on the course not raking bunkers/repairing ball marks ect ect. In the modern day if you take skill level out of it and just look at the course their game is not the same game we play on our muni's week in and week out no matter how much you try to make it.

1) ob and hazards all just need to become a hazard. OB is a mandatory penalty but you can drop laterally, in play hazards you could still play it as a lies. It will help speed of play, nothing kills me more than waiting 5 minutes only for a guy who didn't hit a provisional drive or walk all the way back to replay a shot...or a guy who keeps launching shot after shot OB and hitting provisional after provisional.

2) The lost ball penalty is kind of a fine line one, if the group can agree that it was just lost in the thick rough you get a free drop in an area they agreed but that could be one that is taken advantage of on a lot of courses. Tour guys have an audience/tv cameras ect to help them find golf balls, we don't so it kind of sucks when you know you hit it in play and you just can't find it cause of leaves or thick rough. This would also help slow play, you could set the 5 minute rule down to 1 or 2 minutes and after that you drop and just keep going as long as the group agrees the ball did not enter a hazard/fescue grass ect, again thats kind of a fine line rule just because there's a lot of places for loopholes.

3) You should be allowed to fix spike marks on greens

4) You should be allowed to fix the bunker if your ball ends up in somebody's foot print, again on tour you'll never see this happen

5) Not sure where I stand on the divot thing, part of me says you should get a drop but then again there's so many stages to a divot and it's repair that I'm not really sure how you define it.

Overall I think the rules just need to be simplified and made easier for amateur golfers so there isn't so many questions when things happen. I think it would not only speed up play but you might find people actually learning the rules a little better because there's just less to learn. Golf is the only sport I've played where you have to carry around a rule book because it's so darn complex at times.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I with the guys that would like to see a change to the rules regarding landing in divots in the fairway. I'm just not sure what the proper rule change should be to keep things equitable and not make it too difficult to interpret/or implement. I don't like being penalized for hitting the shot I'm trying to hit.

Other issues (such as footprints in bunkers) involve a miss, so I'm fine with getting screwed. I hate listening to people b**** about bunker conditions. In my opinion, they are [i]supposed[/i] to be penal. I'd be all for getting rid of rakes, period.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

[quote name='crater_divots' timestamp='1435591087' post='11854968']

1) NO MORE OB! NO MORE LOST BALLS!

It's my belief that these two penalties are far too severe for the game. I'm also a big believer in simplifying things. Keep the yellow stakes and the red stakes, and keep the penalties associated.

Stroke AND distance can make a competitive round a blowout in a heartbeat. Take Brendan Grace's gaff in the US OPEN. If he isn't reteeing shot #3, he still has a chance. I've seen too many rounds derailed by a shot OB.

I play enough courses with OB on pretty much every hole that it takes away from the game. I'd rather be tempted to cut a corner, miss, and face a one stroke penalty as opposed to avoiding half of many holes just to prevent the big penalty.

Same with lost balls. Any stroke and distance penalty is TOO severe, IMO.
[/quote]

Alister MacKenzie would agree with you. In fact he included it as one of his 13 Principles of Golf Course Architecture "[color=#424242]There should be a complete absence of the annoyance and irritation caused by the necessity of searching for lost balls." [/color]But his solution had nothing to do with changing the rules, rather he focused on designing courses that eliminated lost ball and out of bounds. Many of the Golden age architects did. Lost ball and OB as they occur today are a greater byproduct of course design common in the 70's, 80's and 90's than the rules.

[quote name='crater_divots' timestamp='1435615627' post='11857592']
[quote name='Kenny Lee Puckett' timestamp='1435615419' post='11857570'] you could argue a move to a 15 club rule. every player has one yardage gap at either the top or bottom of the bag because we have to prioritize carrying one more wood/hybrid vs wedge or vice versa. [/quote]

I kind of disagree (but not passionately, so this will be my only rebuttal)

I think that golf being a game of skill means that players should be rewarded by their ability to hit different shots in different situations. I'd be happy if the max club rule was 12. Make people learn to hit different trajectories to cover different yardage gaps.
[/quote]

I'd like to take it a bit further and reduce the count to 10 clubs. It would return shotmaking back to the game, force players to make hard decisions in how they construct their bags, would reduce the cost for players trying to get into the game as they don't feel compelled to buy as much equipment, and has the potential to encourage players playing from shorter tees.