HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have resolved myself, in tournament play, to keep the ball in play at all costs. If that means a 160 yard approach instead of a 100 yard approach so be it. I will take the odds of making par from 160 instead of the risky drive that might thread the needle to get me a 100 yard approach...but it might also get me OB. I shot my career best in my last tournament and won by 7 strokes with only hitting the driver 5 times and the last 7 holes I played 1 under par with only one swing of the driver...keep it in play and safe.

Stop worry about making triples and blow-ups! I know that's much easier said than done. Look at it this way: you're bound to have blow up holes. The way to deal with it is not by elimination, because that is near impossible. Instead, play each shot to the best of your ability, considering the circumstances. At the end of each hole, you should be able to look back saying, "This is what I deserve. That was the best I could do," then move on to the next hole. It's all course management.

Josh

You should try the "don't hit two bad shots in a row". For example, let's say you hit a good drive in the fairway of a par 4. Then, you hit your iron fat and it ends up in the greenside bunker. Your goal is not to hit two bad shots in a row so you should just go with a nice safe sand shot to the center of the green. This philosophy will take the double and tripple out of play.

I feel ya man, I could easily be shooting high 80's consistently if i didnt have blow up holes. i know there is no way to eliminate them totally but if i find myself getting frustrated and quitting, I give myself ten steps to be mad, then on the 11th step, i forget about it and concentrate as hard as i can on the next shot just as Josh said. Hope this helps, for me and you both lol :) .

Jon

Golf is not a sport where you can force the outcome...

There is no way to eliminate the errors. That is a fact of life. All you can do is minimize them and there are two ways to go about them: course management and improving your game such as short game and swing consistency. The former is something you can't teach but comes with experience and play; you can pick up little lessons from another player, but they can't teach you because there are an infinite strategies to suit an infinite level of play.

For example, when I play well, it's when I make a heap of pars and birdie a few holes. That's just the way I play. Others play well when they make a ton of birdies but a few bogeys as well. Some people just play golf differently.

You're 13 years old, I'm almost 19, and you've got a lot of stuff to learn. Heck, even I've got a ton of stuff to learn. Most likely, you'll grow through a stage where the emotions get the better of you. But you'll be grateful for it because you'll learn.

Now, if I were you, I'd go fix your putting! Having said that, I'd better go fix mine up too!

Good luck!

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

tommy jewell

age 13

hdcp 3.5

just learn how to make bogey, if you hit a bad shot off the tee, get your next shot back in play so you can go for the green and two putt for bogey. if you hit a bad shot into the green and have a hard shot to the pin, don't go for it, play to a part of the green to where you know you can 2-putt it and have a look at a 1-putt. so basically any bad shot you hit, your next one should be just getting you back in play to have a look at par. using this strategy has saved me countless strikes in tournaments.

Play within yourself and don't go for the hero shot.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

you kids make me laugh complaining about doubles and triples. try shooting an 84 with a 13 and a 9 both on par 5's. this is from a guy who eats up par 5's with my length. funny thing was the 13 came after a perfect drive 290 and change in perfect position in the fairway, too much draw on my 4 iron into the green and only really landed maybe 10 yards left of the green, but there was a cart path that sent my ball flying OB. then I proceeded to hit a few more OB from the greenside bunker after I went back and bailed right from where I first hit OB. then the 9 came from 2 hooks OB, other than that those holes were both really pars and I would have shot 72 which would have qualified. I usually tear this course up too, oh well, there's more than one tournament in the world I guess. And I was also down to one ball left in the bag after making the 13 and the 9, so I had some pressure on me to play well after that and made and eagle on a 297 driveable par 4 where I drove the green and made about a 25 footer. Maybe I should just play golf with one ball in the bag. lol

you kids make me laugh complaining about doubles and triples. try shooting an 84 with a 13 and a 9 both on par 5's. this is from a guy who eats up par 5's with my length. funny thing was the 13 came after a perfect drive 290 and change in perfect position in the fairway, too much draw on my 4 iron into the green and only really landed maybe 10 yards left of the green, but there was a cart path that sent my ball flying OB. then I proceeded to hit a few more OB from the greenside bunker after I went back and bailed right from where I first hit OB. then the 9 came from 2 hooks OB, other than that those holes were both really pars and I would have shot 72 which would have qualified. I usually tear this course up too, oh well, there's more than one tournament in the world I guess. And I was also down to one ball left in the bag after making the 13 and the 9, so I had some pressure on me to play well after that and made and eagle on a 297 driveable par 4 where I drove the green and made about a 25 footer. Maybe I should just play golf with one ball in the bag. lol

See this is what you want to avoid if you want to be consistent. If you know if you only go 10 yards left of the green your going to be OB then that sounds like a layup. Also if you hit one or two OB you need to get the point that it isnt your shot and layup the second time, as hard as that may seem.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is what separates golf from any other sport. There is so much time between actions that your head can really get in the way. As a single digit handicapper the mental aspect is my biggest challenge right now. It seems like I cant look at my scorecard in the middle of the round. My last five rounds I have less than 2 over after 13 only to end up shooting 78-80. Seems I get thinking about how great it would be to card my lowest round. Or which holes I can birdie to get even instead of only worrying about my next shot.

Either way, if you make a 13 - you did something WRONG. A double, even a triple bogey can just be pure back luck... but a 13 - you made two, maybe three, poor decisions.

Or 13 mistakes LOL no jk I got a tournament tomorrow i keep you informed...

Cavity-Blade :rolleyes:

I actually hit my drive perfectly in the fw and had about 200 uphill to get on in 2. the ball was above my feet and I just hit a little too much of a draw that caught the cart path a little off the green and went flying. then I was just mentally out of it at that point.