2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

uPRO....Anyone seen this latest entry in the GPS wars?

mrb

The screen was fine in the sun and I thought it looked a lot nicer than my V300. The hazard view is easier to read.

Today I played on a course that only had Basic mode available, but I liked it better than the V300 I have.

Can you give us all a pro's and con's or a comparison of the two units?

I'm leaning toward the Upro, but I'm not enthused by the number of courses mapped right now. My home course is done, so I guess I can request another as my home. But I play 5 - 7 courses (although 3 mainly) and I would hate to spend all this money to not be able to use it. What in particular do you NOT like about the V300?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to my earlier comment about some problems with auto hole advance, I've figured it out.

Usually the unit will go into sleep mode while I'm on the green. If you wake the unit up on the next tee it asks if you want to play the next hole. If you wait until your 2nd shot, the unit does not advance. So problem is with the user.

Does make for interesting possibilities if you don't notice while playing skins and your opponent asks "how far?".

"700 yards to the center" :rolleyes:

What in particular do you NOT like about the V300?

Comparing the V300 with the uPro:

V300: I like how solid and durable it feels. I like the scorecard and analysis as well.

uPro: I like how small it is. Thin like a cell phone. The screen seems to have better resolution, contrast, and more vivid color than the V300.

Both units had zero problems so far. I can't say that I dislike the V300 at all, but I am more impressed with the uPro. While I like the presentation of the information on the uPro more, I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

Using the uPro in basic mode today, I felt like the units are comparable. Previewing my home course in Pro mode takes the uPro it to another level though. Seeing a true overhead image of the hole and being able to get yardage to/from any point on the hole is great. I can't wait to use it this weekend.

The V300 seemed to have more courses available, but it looks like the uPro is getting more added as fast as they can map them. Also, with the V300 you pay a one-time lifetime membership fee to download courses. With the uPro, you buy credits and spend them to download courses (3 credits for Pro Mode, 1 credit for Basic Mode).

Just a word of warning if you plan to buy an invisible shield or other film to protect your screen. I used the inv. shield and it was practically impossible to see the screen (pro mode) in the sunlight. It took me a couple of holes to remember I had installed it. However, if you wish to never complain about the screen, try installing one and then taking it off during your round.

Just got my uPro on Friday, and had a chance to play a couple rounds with it over the weekend - it was awesome! I don't know why, but I thought the best part was "seeing" myself walk up next to bunkers, etc. Accuraccy was great - every time I walked up next to the edge of a bunker, cartpath, etc. it showed me dead on where I was standing. Having the actual imagery makes such a difference. I didn't have any lockups, but for most of the rounds I was skipping the video flyovers.

A buddy of mine went out with me on one of the days with his SG5, and I also brought my older SG4. Accuracy on the uPro was definitely better than my SG4, but was about the same as the SG5. The SG4 seems to drift around quite a bit more than the other two units which surprised me since I think they got the hardware for the SG4 from Magellan. GPS lock time was also much better than my SG4 which sometimes takes a couple holes just to get lock.

Anyway, since we already had a few units to throw into the mix, we decided to do a little shoot out. I ordered a V300, and he ordered a Golf Buddy Tour. The V300 should be here pretty soon, but the Golf Buddy sounds like it might be another week or so.

Anyone else have suggestions for GPS units to throw in? (we also have a laser - Pinseeker 1500 for comparison)

Anyway, since we already had a few units to throw into the mix, we decided to do a little shoot out. I ordered a V300, and he ordered a Golf Buddy Tour. The V300 should be here pretty soon, but the Golf Buddy sounds like it might be another week or so.

Anyone else have suggestions for GPS units to throw in? (we also have a laser - Pinseeker 1500 for comparison)

I cannot wait for your report!!!

Also if possible, it would be nice to have one of the PDA GPS programs tested in the shootout (such as Intelligolf). I know TeeShot for the Iphone is coming out with a GPS version soon, but it's not out yet.

Hello Everybody,

Is anybody who did not get their home course mapped on time having problems getting their free accessory? I have been told multiple times it will be shipped and for over a month now I still have not received it. Just curious if this is isolated or typical. It is surprising to me I am having this issue because they are always quick to respond with all my issues but this one never seems to be finalized.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

I will see if I can get ahold of the Golf Guru and the Sureshot as well. I know of someone with a Sureshot that I can probably borrow, but I'll figure something out for the Golf Guru as well.

I'll keep you updated as they start coming in!

Why bother. Just my opinion, but the only thing that comes close is the SG 2.5 or 5. Nothing is mapped better than these two and the pro mode on the Upro seals the fate of others.

Can anyone repost a link for the sd expansion card files. I reformatted mine and can't restore. Very frustrated with initial experience. Not able to use with Mac/Parrallels. Mac sync very slow and my home course download was incomplete and now unit hangs on sync attempts.

I did same thing. Still need them? Seems to run a lot faster now, came up in less than 30 seconds.

Get the skycaddie, the course we play all the time is mapped but it looks like the pictures were takin during winter, everything is so light and can't make out anything on the course. Very slow picking up yardages, I could careless about flyovers on courses I have played a thousand times. neat the first time, but a lot of buttom pushing to get the basics you need. I love the skycaddie sitting in the cup holder telling me what I need, instead of having to push the button to turn off the screensaver because it uses too much battery on all the time. Personally I love the Pinseeker. Nothing tells be to the pin difference. I dont care how much you know the course, it still doesn't give you an exact number you can trust.

Hi, I wanted to give my review of the upro. I have had a Skycaddie SG3 for almost 2 years now, I bought it right when they first came out ( maybe it was 1.5 years ago). Anyways., I read about the inferior technology that my sg3 has in comparison to the sg2.5 and sg5 as well as my buddies original sg2. My friend has an sg4 and he experiences same problems I have had. It works but sync sometimes is hard to get and it really has bad information when you are looking for hazzard info. Of course this is all in comparison of the UPro. I bought the Upro today and downloaded the course I was playing later in the day. I have played this course a few times and used my skycaddie perviously. I was in a match for my golf club, second round. Anyways, the Upro when I first bought, took about 1.5 hours to charge, much less then the 3 hours they state, which is nice. Next, dloading the course an syncing up was easy enough. I am an IT guy and initially my model didnt autorun when I synced it. I had to open the upro sync folder on the removable drive and launch the sync. Once it synced up to the website and updated my upro with some new code, the autorun ran just fine.

I dloaded the course and was ablet ot use the fly bys the entire time. The big thing I really used the upro for was the measuring distances. It has this great feature where you can measure how far and the angle of your drive, so for example I know that I hit 240-250 average, once I do that I can mark a line out to 250 then another line from that to the green getting instant layup info. I love it. On the par 4 18th, I figured out I could cut off 50 yards on the hole with the upro, hit a 250 yard seed to 100 out. Won the hole and the match with a regulation par. It was awesome, I love how small it is. I showed one of the guys we were playing with and he told me, I thought you were looking at your cell phone. LOL I love it. SG3 is going on ebay tomorrow.

You are going to love this.

Every year I take a trip up to Bandon for an extended weekend of golf. I usually go up a little later, but this year due to some work commitments I'm having to try and move it up to the end of the month. I looked on the website, and they have a date of August 20th for release. I really want to take my uPro with me (even though I always have a caddy) so I gave them a call to see how solid the release date was. I had looked it up in Google, and there is really bad image quality, so I was hoping they weren't going to try and use something similar. The support guy I talked to said - "...we just flew it, so that date should be pretty accurate and the imagery should be extremely good". Are you kidding me? I assume that *they* don't really fly planes out to get photos of courses, but that must cost a fortune regardless.

Anyway, I'm still waiting patiently for my V300 and other units to come in for my head-to-head-super-golf-gps-shootout. The updated ship dates are out around the 25th...

I love this thing, it's been great from day one, so I'm interested to see that comparison that's being put together. But I really have a hard time believing anything would come close to the uPro. It's pretty cool...

I hope they Get Bandon done in time for you. It's seems like they have more courses available lately. But I agree, I can't imagine they're actually "flying" planes.

used the golf guru last week. machine synced up fast. no glitches. yardages was +/- 3-4 yards off. overall a decent machine for its price. liked the scoring system also. 2 things i didn't like about the golf guru. it didn't automatically advance to the next hole. also, maybe it's just me, but i couldn't get over the fact that the screen was on the bottom. i thought i could, but it just felt and looked weird to have to view the yardages from a screen on the bottom and the buttons on top. just got the upro a few days ago and will be trying it out a this weekend.

3 quick questions for those who used the upro:

1. is it true that you can actually "see" yourself when you're next to the bunker, or cartpath, etc on the device and it automatically measures that distance to the green? i imagine that's in advance pro mode? 2. is it just me or does it really take over 40 minutes just to sync up your unit with a new course? 3. if i dont want to use the fly-by when i go on to the next hole, do i have to leave it on basic mode or can i just press a button to cancel fly-by. i heard from people that when people cancel fly-by, that's when the screen freezes up?

from what i've been reading, it seems like upro's taken care of a lot of their inital problems people were experiencing before (screen freezing up, battery life, etc.) any other problems/issues with upro?

this is the first blog/forum i've ever joined and i must admit, it's nice to read everyone's inputs with the devices they've used. glad to have joined this site.

3 quick questions for those who used the upro:

1. is it true that you can actually "see" yourself when you're next to the bunker, or cartpath, etc on the device and it automatically measures that distance to the green? i imagine that's in advance pro mode? 2. is it just me or does it really take over 40 minutes just to sync up your unit with a new course? 3. if i dont want to use the fly-by when i go on to the next hole, do i have to leave it on basic mode or can i just press a button to cancel fly-by. i heard from people that when people cancel fly-by, that's when the screen freezes up?

1. In pro mode, your position is indicated by a "red dot/icon". Measurement is from your position to pre-selected points on the hole (hazards, green, etc...). A "measure" mode exists where you can measure your distance to any point on the hole using the cursor.

2. The sync does take a long time. I haven't timed it, but I think it's less than 40 minutes. Perhaps 10-20 minutes.

3. Flyby can be disabled from the "preferences" menu. I always disable the flyby during my round. Does not cause the unit to freeze up. I have had minimal lockup/freeze up on my unit. Only a couple of times in the past 6-10 rounds. I still have the original software version 1.11.10.12.10.

thanks for the reply to the questions. i charged my upro yesterday, did the standard power down and today it wont even turn on. customer service said if you do that it goes into sleep mode and the battery slowly drains? and the way to shut it off is to hold the power button for 8-9 seconds to shut it off manually. i'm just wondering.....does that hurt the unit at all if that's the way it needs to be shut off everytime. i figure it's like a laptop where you dont do the proper shut off and just hold the power button to shut it off. just dont want my upro to not work in a few months or year after the warranty period is over. any thoughts? thanks.

I have a new Upro which I used for the first time yesterday. My home course was mapped 8 days after request. MAJOR problem with device is repetitive power down requiring restart. My unit may be defective. I am awaiting reply from support. Currently, it is unusable...an expensive disappointment.

Is it going into power save mode or turning off completely?

I almost bought the uPro, but after reading about the patent infringement litigation on the Golf Guru site, I backed off. I bought a Golf Guru because it does everything I need, very well, not flashy or pretty, but more than good enough.

Is anyone concerned about the litigation? the company behind Golf Guru originated the golf gps and brought the first cart based system to market. They sold off the cart gps business, and while they got to market late with their product, they claim to own (and it appears that they DO own) the patent for hand held gps devices, issued way back in the 90's.

SkyCaddie also owns some patents and has filed lawsuits. It appears as though other companies have as well. The company that makes uPro is a late comer, does anyone know if they are in compliance with these patents? You can find info on all of these at http://golf-patents.com/

so finally played my first round w/ the upro on saturday. the unit did not freeze up one time (thank god!), and the battery life was not bad at all (showed 40% left after 5 hour round of golf). the "any-point" technology is absolutely awesome. while other units show the distance to the hazards, i like to know and be able to measure how far it is from certain places beyond the hazards. it was a little bit difficult to see the pro-mode screen, but i got use to it and switched between that and the basic mode. the satellite reception was perfect. all in all, a great experience with the upro. i just hope all these issues with the gps patent infringement gets taken care of without any hinderance to the performance of the unit.

has anyone heard anything on the scoring update feature that upro said was suppose to be available by the end of this summer?

ps-one thing i didnt like was the "energy-mode" but it literally is a press of the "u" button so it's not that big of an issue.