Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

[quote name='74Quarterback' timestamp='1436175066' post='11894700']
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Dave, Well Done!!!

Been following your thread here and it's been very inspirational, thanks a lot and once again, congratulations, well deserved!
[/quote]
thanks for the kind words

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

[quote name='hakky' timestamp='1436180000' post='11894810']
Congrata Dave. Been following your thread and your poss on golfwrx.

Did you feel you got more depth even under pressure in your club champ? Been working on the same issue with Dan.
[/quote]
I wasn't thinking about my backswing at all in round 2, and didn't think about anything in round 1 which is where I struggled ball strikingwise, focused on the feeling of getting my arms down and infront of me and through the ball. which was the feeling I had in round 2.

under pressure I just really focused on making sure my arms worked down and away from my right shoulder first. not sure what my backswing depth was like, didn't want too many thoughts.

still something I need to work on though. need to get my hands much deeper.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436182280' post='11894898']

Did you feel you got more depth even under pressure in your club champ? Been working on the same issue with Dan.
[/quote]
I wasn't thinking about my backswing at all in round 2, and didn't think about anything in round 1 which is where I struggled ball strikingwise, focused on the feeling of getting my arms down and infront of me and through the ball. which was the feeling I had in round 2.

under pressure I just really focused on making sure my arms worked down and away from my right shoulder first. not sure what my backswing depth was like, didn't want too many thoughts.

[/quote]

My only backswing feel right now is to turn into the heel of my back foot, that i can lift my big toe a bit. That gives me enough depth. Still work to do. What did you shoot on round 1 and 2(if you want to answer)?

[quote name='hakky' timestamp='1436189009' post='11895364']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436182280' post='11894898']

[/quote]

[/quote]

My only backswing feel right now is to turn into the heel of my back foot, that i can lift my big toe a bit. That gives me enough depth. Still work to do. What did you shoot on round 1 and 2(if you want to answer)?
[/quote]
I have used that feel but I need to be careful with it as sometimes I can then move too much off the ball.
shot 75 77, the standard scratch was at 75 so effectively level par and 2 over.

[quote name='GeoffDickson' timestamp='1436215702' post='11898506']
Nice work Dave...always hard to win a club champs and even harder to go back-to-back....and harder still to 'moose' a drive on the first playoff hole.

The phrases to describe a well struck golf ball.....I thought I had heard them all.
[/quote]
haha that is a common one between my friends here in the UK. The tee shots on the last hole and in the playoff were superb even if I do say so myself :)

I won £300 in vouchers for winning so I've booked myself in for a putter fitting at Callaway in 10 days time, I am a putter ho and constantly changing putter types and lengths etc which is no good for my game, consistency is key. so my club champ winnings will be going towards a new putter, that I then know is right for me and I am going to stick with it through thick and thin. I'm happy to use anything if it helps me aim correctly and hole more putts. After using that old ping for my last few rounds I am enjoying a simple classic design, I hated the feel of the rife, so I could quite easily see myself using one of these as this looks similar in simplicity but has the technology:

1501-agij.jpg?_ex=60x60

but as I say I will get whatever they deem is best for me and that holes the most putts.

the rest of my winnings will go on a ORG 14 cart bag in black and white for my clic gear trolley.

org-14-cart-bag-blk-wht-r-2.jpg

My J Lindeberg stand bag is looking a bit tatty now and isn't that roomy, struggle to get all my waterproofs and an extra towel in it so makes sense as I now use a clicgear to get a nice trolley bag.

I'm so impatient I really want to just go and buy one of the works 1 putters but deep down I KNOW I should go and get fit. I just cant help it when it comes to putters!

I dont change my clubs often. Had my current clubs a couple of years and have no interest in changing my irons or driver. I am tempted to get some new wedges next season as the MD3s look sooo nice and mine will be pretty worn out by then. 3 wood is a bit up in the air, some days its lovely and others not so much.

Dave, did you try the ping ketsch? Three lines, excellent performance. I'm actually gutted that I bought a Scotty recently. Every time I go to the store I grab the ketsch and hole a few putts. I guess I will bite the bullet at one point.

As for the cart bag, I've got that org14 (last seasons model) and it is annoyingly heavy. You may want to check that.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436367726' post='11909824']
I'm so impatient I really want to just go and buy one of the works 1 putters but deep down I KNOW I should go and get fit. I just cant help it when it comes to putters!

I dont change my clubs often. Had my current clubs a couple of years and have no interest in changing my irons or driver. I am tempted to get some new wedges next season as the MD3s look sooo nice and mine will be pretty worn out by then. 3 wood is a bit up in the air, some days its lovely and others not so much.
[/quote]

Daaaaaave....... come to the darkside!

[quote name='74Quarterback' timestamp='1436375815' post='11910740']
Dave, did you try the ping ketsch? Three lines, excellent performance. I'm actually gutted that I bought a Scotty recently. Every time I go to the store I grab the ketsch and hole a few putts. I guess I will bite the bullet at one point.

As for the cart bag, I've got that org14 (last seasons model) and it is annoyingly heavy. You may want to check that.
[/quote]
I have but wasn't overly keen. Will see what odyssey say is best for me.

Oh really? That's interesting will have to try and find the weight specs of it.

[quote name='Schnee' timestamp='1436376039' post='11910762']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436367726' post='11909824']

[/quote]

Daaaaaave....... come to the darkside!
[/quote]
For club hoing or a 3deep/mini? Neither are likely to happen I'm afraid

Congrats Dave D!

There is range golf, casual golf, casual tournament golf, and high-level tournament golf. All are quite different and as you progress from banging balls to posting scores in competition you tend to get "exposed". Good on you for being able to post numbers when it really counts and finishing things off.

Everyone will glean some level of satisfaction from all these aspects of the game but as you get better I think the most satisfaction comes from performing under pressure.

Carry on!

[quote name='WolfWRX' timestamp='1436400485' post='11913292']
Many congrats on the club championship win. That's great stuff.

I assume you texted your teacher right away to thank him!?

300 quid could get you a nice Machine putter where the possibilities are endless. Treat yourself to something special!
[/quote]
Thank you, yeah I messaged him on here the next day.

Machines are lovely looking but the nearest fitter is 7 hours away and I would like to get a bag with my winnings too.

edit: plus the money is in vouchers for the pro shop and they don't stock machine

[quote name='robbohank' timestamp='1436401864' post='11913454']
Congrats Dave D!

There is range golf, casual golf, casual tournament golf, and high-level tournament golf. All are quite different and as you progress from banging balls to posting scores in competition you tend to get "exposed". Good on you for being able to post numbers when it really counts and finishing things off.

Everyone will glean some level of satisfaction from all these aspects of the game but as you get better I think the most satisfaction comes from performing under pressure.

Carry on!
[/quote]
Thanks very much.

There is an absolute difference between the types of golf. In my first lesson with Dan he pointed out a move in my swing that happened at the very last second to get the club and arms in front of me. This would work fine in normal rounds and pretty well under pressure but would still cause a couple of bad holes a round and would really show up under pressure. Which it did. Especially with driver on 18.

I knew my swing had gotten better because it was performing in matchplay pressure well as I've played really well in matches but not translated that to competition scores. That was a mental part I just needed to go out and not think about scores and just follow my routine and let it happen.

I was/am super happy with the shots I hit under pressure, the drives are 2 of the best shots I've ever hit given the circumstances

Congratulations! That is great work, and I look forward to seeing your continued improvement.

When is the putter fitting?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436423719' post='11914988']
Congrats Dave D!

Carry on!
[/quote]
Thanks very much.

There is an absolute difference between the types of golf. In my first lesson with Dan he pointed out a move in my swing that happened at the very last second to get the club and arms in front of me. This would work fine in normal rounds and pretty well under pressure but would still cause a couple of bad holes a round and would really show up under pressure. Which it did. Especially with driver on 18.

I knew my swing had gotten better because it was performing in matchplay pressure well as I've played really well in matches but not translated that to competition scores. That was a mental part I just needed to go out and not think about scores and just follow my routine and let it happen.

I was/am super happy with the shots I hit under pressure, the drives are 2 of the best shots I've ever hit given the circumstances
[/quote]

Dave what was the move you used to do and what cured that move. Congrats!

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1436459177' post='11917106']
Congrats on the win Dave, great job!
[/quote]
Thank you sir

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1436460625' post='11917262']
Congratulations! That is great work, and I look forward to seeing your continued improvement.

When is the putter fitting?
[/quote]
Thanks very much, Monday the 20th, im like a kid before Christmas I cant wait ha :D

[quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1436462398' post='11917466']
Congrats on the win!
[/quote]
Thank you

[quote name='spider' timestamp='1436463051' post='11917544']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436423719' post='11914988']
Congrats Dave D!

Carry on!
[/quote]
Thanks very much.

[/quote]

Dave what was the move you used to do and what cured that move. Congrats!
[/quote]
Thanks.

In my swing my first move in the downswing is my hands shift outwards (from dtl view), which isn't a bad thing and Dan actually quite likes it. The move I had, and still do to an extent but its getting better, was as my hands shift out they also got pinned to my chest and stuck behind me. then at the last minute I had to stand up and out of it in order to get the right arm in front of my body to hit the ball half decent, impact through the ball he liked but was just this move that requires a lot of timing. would work fine on the range or no pressure but would show up 1 or 2 times a round and hold me back.

so in the backswing i'm trying to get my body and hands a lot deeper going back, to balance the hands moving out to start down, and in the downswing working on getting my arms off my chest and down in front of me as soon as possible. it feels going back like the club goes inside and is behind me, even though its not, and all arms coming down. completely the opposite to anything I have worked on or I would've ever thought of but it certainly works and is getting better.

I used to hit a flippy fade but that has turned into a tiny draw as ive been practicing the moves. the flight is pretty darn straight tho and just falls left at the end. certainly seems a lot more stable especially in wind which is nice

Well done Dave, great stuff.

My club champs are tomorrow, with a guy off +2 and another 5 or 3 or below I shant be winning it, but as Im qualified to play I thought id get two rounds in, though 36 in a day can be a struggle!

Neil

Mizuno Mp630
Xhot 3 deep 14.5
SLDR 17 deg hybrid
Ping g15 20 deg hybrid
Callaway XR pro 5 - pw
callaway X forged 48
Callway X tour 52 & 58
Nike Method Mod 90

https://youtu.be/mCmgOh7BaJE

https://youtu.be/NSNh8G4Zk8E

Video from today. Backswing looking much better and much deeper. Right knee moving back as much as left moves forward unlike normal where my right hardly moves and I move towards the ball.

Feeling was to straighten right leg during the backswing, not completely locked but feels odd and very straight in comparison to normal.

Face on video made me realise I need to work on my ball position. That was a 6 iron so it's crept a bit far forward. This game is never ending!

[quote name='xxjonesyxx' timestamp='1436544957' post='11923610']
Well done Dave, great stuff.

My club champs are tomorrow, with a guy off +2 and another 5 or 3 or below I shant be winning it, but as Im qualified to play I thought id get two rounds in, though 36 in a day can be a struggle!

Neil
[/quote]
Thank you. Never say never Jonesey! Play your game and you never know! Pressure can do funny things to the best of players

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436558453' post='11925062']
https://youtu.be/mCmgOh7BaJE

https://youtu.be/NSNh8G4Zk8E

Video from today. Backswing looking much better and much deeper. Right knee moving back as much as left moves forward unlike normal where my right hardly moves and I move towards the ball.

Feeling was to straighten right leg during the backswing, not completely locked but feels odd and very straight in comparison to normal.

Face on video made me realise I need to work on my ball position. That was a 6 iron so it's crept a bit far forward. This game is never ending!
[/quote]

Congrats Dave! That feeling that you have with your right leg straightening is the same feeling I am using lately to get a deep right hip at the top. Good stuff!