2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tommy Armour Silver Scot Blades

Just wanted everyone to know that these clubs are easy to hit. I went from knockoff clubs straight to these. I was in the market for a new set until I heard about these blades on the forum. I consider myself athletic enough to make an adjustment to the clubs if needed to.When I checked proshop warehouse I couldn't believe these clubs were so cheap and how sweet they looked and they had them in lefty! I did some research and then pulled the trigger. When they arrived I was amazed at how they looked and felt. I went straight to the range after work. I amazed myself at how I was hitting this blade better than the knockoffs. Maybe it was because this is actually a quality club, but couldn't be more pleased. For the price (i paid more for the knockoffs) you can't get a better set.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've played the tommy armour evo irons for about 5 or 6 years...i've wanted to get a set of forged irons but dont want to pay $900+ for a set...i can't find a right-handed set of the armour blades anywhere online...any suggestions where i might find a set?

Good luck, i was looking at some TA too back in January. Got outbid at the last minute, havent seen another righty since then. I ended up buying Tad Moore's blades, what beautiful clubs to look at and to hit.

Is the PW 48 degrees? Does anyone know?

The PW is 47 degrees. Here is a link with the specs on the clubs. Go all the way to the bottom of the page and it has the specs. for each club.

http://store.platinumgalleria.com/tommy-ar...e-iron-set.html

The only complaint I have about these clubs is the low bounce on them. As you can tell from the spec. sheet 3* bounce is the most bounce of any club with the 7 iron having 2* bounce. This has really been a problem with my swing, I usually take a very nice divot and these low bounce clubs have been making me dig way too deep lately.

weaken the set a degree - that should increase the bounce by 1*.

Or 2* and 2*.....

It will mess with the offset just a bit...but usually it's not even noticeable if you're only going 1 or 2 *'s....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just thought i'd add my 2 cents about these sticks.

After reading all the raves about the mb's, I found them online for $129, so figured why not its only a hundred bucks.

I was a little intimidated by them at first, since they are blades, and blades are supposedly sooo hard to hit.

The first time I took them out I was not impressed, they took a little getting used to.

But now, I'm in love with them. I don't know if it was because all I used to play were forgiveness clubs, but I have control now that I never had before. These clubs will do whatever you want them to.

I can hit fades or draws at will with these things, and it is consistent.

When you hit a shot exactly in the sweet spot, it's like the ball is not even there. when you hit it off the toe or heel, they will let you know before you even pick your head up to see.

shafts are excellent, they provide a nice penetrating flight without going too high, off a tee or the grass.

My only gripe are the grips, they are VERY hard, but $129 for forged mb's, I can live with them until I find time to get them re-gripped. (I like them so much I don't want to play a round without them while they are getting redone)

well worth the money, I would pay more if I had to.

I also get complimented at least once each time I'm at the range or course on what beauties they are ;)

I'm thinking of picking up a 2nd set just to have because i'm that impressed with them.

Definitely worth a look if you guys are hesitating on them, you won't be disappointed.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone found these for sale recently at the low prices quoted earlier in the thread? I can only find them online upwards of $400.

Thanks.

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

I think that Tommy Armour really did a POOR job marketing these irons and their CB brothers. Great, great sticks that can still be found new at cheap prices!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'd like to give my honest opinion about these irons after having them for a while. I read a review on another site that said these will not stand up to irons made by Titleist and Mizuno forgings. To be honest, that kind of pissed me off because it is absolute, total bull crap!
A little about me: I bought these while waiting for a set of Ping i5's to arrive. The Pings arrived about the same time so these went to the closet for about 4 years. Big mistake on my part I believe. My handicap has bounced around from 2.6-8.2 index in the last 20 years. I've played wilson staff tours, henry-griffitts, mizino tp9, and titleist 990's prior to the Pings so the look of the blade was something that I wanted to go back to. Now that I'm married, working, dad, etc. I was worried that my limited practice and play would make the blades too much to handle. FALSE!!! I can't stress that enough. Nothing groves a good swing faster than muscle back blade. Sorry, back to the iron review.
When I first received the irons I was a bit put off because the specs were not even close to any other standard that I had experienced. First, the grips needed to come off because they were the sized for US Kids Golf Clubs or a small woman, next the shafts were about 1/2 inch short on all clubs, and lastly they seemed to be a little on the flat side. Also, aesthetics are not what you would get from the top name brands. The knurling on the hosel is not the most attractive, the ferrule says "forged" and nothing else on the club does, and lastly every club has the basic shape of an eight iron with the rounded topline. I like it or rather don't have a problem with it; but, I can understand if others do not. Once I got these irons set-up properly they have been as good as any club I have ever hit. In fact, I've demoed the new mizuno mp68, titleist 710, ap2, and miura 301 thinking that since I'm committed to playing blades again, I'll go ahead and spend the money on a really high quality set of irons. No way! It would be a total waste of money. I'm not saying that the overall quality/ quality control of the TA's are better than the others; but, once set-up I'm saying that they play with the best. I know that may ruffle some feathers of iron snobs out there. I don't care. If someone says that another muscle back blade is "better" they are full of it! They may look better, weight within a gnats wing of each other, and have perfect loft and lie adjustments from the factory; but, again, once set-up properly and adjusted to the player, these $129 irons are as accurate and consistent as any iron I have ever hit. Period. If some jerk off that gets paid to give iron reviews from major OEM's says other wise, I'd love to bet him to prove it with some kind of blind test. Until I wear these out, I'll play these beauties proudly. Sorry I didn't post this a few years ago, I could have saved a bunch of people some money on irons.

hope you enjoyed!

make more birdies!

Anybody have the specs for these? My father (passed away) has a new set in box in the attic I found.

[quote name='Featherhammer' timestamp='1205261743' post='962325']
Just impulsed these on ebay for $79 (LH). I figured I couldn't lose with the reviews I've read. I've played forged cavity backs since high school; Hogan Edge '92 and Hogan Apex Tour '04. I don't have many complaints for my Hogans, but finding a set of forged blades for $79 is too good to be true! I'll put these up against my Apex tours and write up a full report. Its going to be a few weeks as I am rehabing a shoulder injury (skiing).
[/quote]

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

A little revival here... I purchased a MB set 2 years ago and played with them for 6 months wanting the cavity but ever set I found looked like garbage due to their age. I purchased a 5-8 CB the other night on ebay. Great condition. I have up to gw in the MB. I am looking for anyone who still have a SW. I would purchase the LB too but a SW is what I want.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx