A students bag......

Excuse the mess in the store room, but anyway this is the bargain hunters edition of a student bag

After not playing for four years and being pretty skint I decided to try and put together a solid bag for a good price, theres definitely under $1000 in it

The drivers are going to enter a little head to head tomorrow to find out which one I like better, however I feel like I'm going to need to add a decent amount of lead tape to the Nike in order to get the SW up. Dropped the length to 44.5 and its made it a little light for my liking

Driver one - Tour issued Silverback Burner TP 2008 model, 10* head with 1.2* open face and fitted with a BiMatrix 80 X cut to 45.25"........swingweight unknown but its heavy :D just how I like it, Lamkin Crossline cord on this with two wraps

Driver two - Hot melted Nike VR Pro Ltd 9.5* head and 1* open face, I was going to put the same shaft in it but due to being a rather broke student I used up an Aldila 95X I'd been given a few years back. No idea how it'll perform and the SW feels a little light but it was built cheap! I'm testing a new grip on this too, bought an MCC +4 to try, its got a reduced taper to try and make you grip the bottom half lighter........in theory it should make you more relaxed so you swing faster

3 Wood - TM Burner 2008 T3 with the good old fashioned X100 and a Crossline cord

Irons - 2 and 3 iron are MP37's with X100's (some of my old set) and then the 4-PW are MP68's again with X100's. All clubs play to standard length and loft working with a 47* PW

Wedges - Scratch 53 and 60 with S300 shafts, these will be replaced with S400s when I can afford some, don't like the weight of the S300, bit light for me

Putter - Byron Morgan 006 with a sight line and red paint fill

As photobucket has ruined everything heres the pics again

Seems I had a lot of driver pics on photobucket......but not too many of anything else, will change that at some point

This is also no longer a broke students bag but a broke design engineers bag, graduated and I'm now working! All money will be spent on car parts though instead of golf, just bought a set of 2.5" remote res King Shock Coilovers, for those in the know......you know their pricing!

3755359982d092090c.jpg

3755359982e487170a.jpg

3755359982dd04838f.jpg

3755359982d7065dd4.jpg

3755359982d4a8dc71.jpg

3755359982d28531dc.jpg

3755359982d1a06c3e.jpg

3755359adcf500289a.jpg

3755359adcf44bd547.jpg

3755359adcf3766c66.jpg

3755359adcf2e444f8.jpg

3755359adcf20cea7d.jpg

3755359adcf1079628.jpg

Irons n shiz

3755359add0c3f2bf6.jpg

3755359add0ae6abb2.jpg

3755359add0a7e43df.jpg

3755359add0b186e8d.jpg

Putter pics

3755359add01866d00.jpg

3755359add01597f0b.jpg

3755359add0119e933.jpg

3755359add00c0312e.jpg

3755359add0775e304.jpg

3755359add0717f05d.jpg

3755359add06b961d3.jpg

3755359add0655c049.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='timbleking' timestamp='1437156630' post='11967530']
I'm not specially a smooth hitter. But should I play your clubs would lead me to the hospital after two holes...
[/quote]

haha I'm very much a hitter not a swinger and this is definitely a hitters bag! Mid to slow back swing and then full speed from there, the heavy weight of the shafts helps me as the long clubs feel more controllable like the irons that way

That BiMatrix is extremely smooth for an 80X though as is the 3W shaft, might pull it and tip it another half inch as the ball flight is a tad high for my liking :)

Well it turns out what I've done with the Nike driver is build a terrible club :(

Its long, it sounds great, it feels good but dammit its a pile of crap :( that grip is horrendous! Love the extra width on the bottom hand but I hit so many snap hooks with it it isn't even funny......the grip just gets so slippy after a couple of shots. Nothing like the Lamkin I've got on the TM

That said the Nike head feels better than the TM, looks better behind the ball, sounds better and has a similar ball flight. Going to test it in the morning when its a bit colder and see how I get on, may even wear a glove and bring a towel just to try and give it a fair test, really want to like this combo.

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1437240517' post='11973306']
Well it turns out what I've done with the Nike driver is build a terrible club :(

Its long, it sounds great, it feels good but dammit its a pile of crap :( that grip is horrendous! Love the extra width on the bottom hand but I hit so many snap hooks with it it isn't even funny......the grip just gets so slippy after a couple of shots. Nothing like the Lamkin I've got on the TM

That said the Nike head feels better than the TM, looks better behind the ball, sounds better and has a similar ball flight. Going to test it in the morning when its a bit colder and see how I get on, may even wear a glove and bring a towel just to try and give it a fair test, really want to like this combo.
[/quote]

That driver is cult classic, I still trying to find a left handed head for a good price. Nice Byron by the way, I also love the mizzy and scratch wedges.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

[quote name='Santiago Golf' timestamp='1437241125' post='11973338']
[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1437240517' post='11973306']

[/quote]

That driver is cult classic, I still trying to find a left handed head for a good price. Nice Byron by the way, I also love the mizzy and scratch wedges.
[/quote]

Yeah its definitely one of the best Nike drivers I've hit, my search for another SQ 460 tour is off! Don't need one anymore, just need to use this head and sort out either a shaft or a new grip.

Don't think its the Aldila as I shouldn't be generating enough power to snap hook a 95 X yet be able to hit the 80 X perfectly straight. Further testing tomorrow! Need to choose a driver for next week as I'm playing links in Scotland and don't want to be losing too many balls into the sea

Thanks :) I hunted for a while and then that one popped up at the right price so I pounced same goes for the Scratch wedges and Mizunos. Loved Scratch wedges since I started playing them, they'd out spin my expensive Japanese one and a Vokey had nothing on it

^^^^

I have set of Mizuno irons and scratch wedges as well. My wedges are great. I starting to lose some spin around the green but these are dangerous from 130 and in, my 58 DS is my best bunker wedge ever. f

What do you normally shoot

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Excellent putters, I've had at least five of them over the years. Buy them cheap on here and always make my money back when I sell them again it the UK! Last one actually went to Thailand.......if I could get it back I would :(

Oil can carbon 006 with a slot, no line/dot cavity stamped Byron and that was it. Loved that putter

This ones almost as good but it wont rust which is a major plus, stainless just doesn't feel quite as nice to me as carbon. However the best Byrons to buy are the pure copper ones if you can ever lay your hands on them! I had a brief fling with a pure copper Mini Surfer Girl and it was the best feeling putter I'd ever used

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1437245993' post='11973718']
Excellent putters, I've had at least five of them over the years. Buy them cheap on here and always make my money back when I sell them again it the UK! Last one actually went to Thailand.......if I could get it back I would :(

Oil can carbon 006 with a slot, no line/dot cavity stamped Byron and that was it. Loved that putter

This ones almost as good but it wont rust which is a major plus, stainless just doesn't feel quite as nice to me as carbon. However the best Byrons to buy are the pure copper ones if you can ever lay your hands on them! I had a brief fling with a pure copper Mini Surfer Girl and it was the best feeling putter I'd ever used
[/quote]

Thanks!

Where can I get a cheap one?

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1437246585' post='11973758']
Either the BST on here, Puttertalk forum always has them for sale and many many of them as thats basically GolfWRX for putter ho's and guessing you're in the states? If so ebay, they also have a store so you could try that. Finalist on here works for them
[/quote]

Thanks so much.
I'm in the UK, but will visit US in August for a couple of weeks.

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1437245197' post='11973638']
I'll find out what I shoot next week! Not played in four years so it could be interesting.......would guess in the mid 80s course I used to be at was a par 70 but the one I'm starting to play at now is a 71. It is links though which suits my bomb and gouge style better than tight woodland
[/quote]

I'm just like you. I love to play bomb and gouge; I shoot 75-77 when I'm on, but put on a course where I have to play target golf, I struggle; like mid to high 80s (I will have 14 good hole and 4 bad ones). But when I play links or park course I able to rip driver and hit my Scratch wedges into greens and make some putts.

Bomb and gouge is just more fun, I will take a 2 iron off the tee if I have to.......but if I can see its a 3 wood onto a green or a par 5 that can be done in two shots then I always take driver.......I either then try and hit too short an iron and pull it trying to hit it hard and high or hit it to the wrong part of the green from miles out instead of laying up and pitching close

Wide links fairways, non existent light/mid rough and fast greens suit me :) don't like the rough on woodland courses where once you're in you have to navigate 50 different trees to get back to the fairway or have no shot over unless you're in the fairway

I'm going back to the range tomorrow for a practice, going to bring a towel and keep the Nike grip dry to see if it helps me out. Stupid GP grip.....the lady running it didn't notice me losing at least 25 balls over the back wall when it was dry though! Thank goodness for that haha

250 yard uphill range, think the back wall is elevated about 15m up from the tees or it is anyway according to google maps sea level variation between points and 70% balls I think so I'm happy with the distances I'm getting just not the consistency with the Nike at the minute. If it wants to find itself in the bag next week its going to have to behave tomorrow

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1437248693' post='11973940']Bomb and gouge is just more fun, I will take a 2 iron off the tee if I have to.......but if I can see its a 3 wood onto a green or a par 5 that can be done in two shots then I always take driver.......I either then try and hit too short an iron and pull it trying to hit it hard and high or hit it to the wrong part of the green from miles out instead of laying up and pitching close

Wide links fairways, non existent light/mid rough and fast greens suit me :) don't like the rough on woodland courses where once you're in you have to navigate 50 different trees to get back to the fairway or have no shot over unless you're in the fairway

I'm going back to the range tomorrow for a practice, going to bring a towel and keep the Nike grip dry to see if it helps me out. Stupid GP grip.....the lady running it didn't notice me losing at least 25 balls over the back wall when it was dry though! Thank goodness for that haha

250 yard uphill range, think the back wall is elevated about 15m up from the tees or it is anyway according to google maps sea level variation between points and 70% balls I think so I'm happy with the distances I'm getting just not the consistency with the Nike at the minute. If it wants to find itself in the bag next week its going to have to behave tomorrow[/quote]

I wrx at a golf store, those grips are tough to sell. The cord on top feels awful. I myself play PURE DTX, I think they are awesome

• 2 weeks later...

How is the game going?

[quote name='Santiago Golf' timestamp='1438098823' post='12034754']
How is the game going?
[/quote]

Not managed to play at all, off to the gym tonight so I'll probably get to the range on wednesday or thursday

Lesson booked on the 15th and will probably play a round or three over the course of the 14th/15th so I can put in a new handicap card........hoping its better than 24 haha

This bag is sweet. I'd game it but the Bi Matrix 80X might throw out my back!!

PING G430 LS 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60X
TaylorMade M5 15* // Project X LZ 6.5 
Titleist 915 3H // Diamana S+ 80X 
PING Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Phantom X STR (or) Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='robbie91' timestamp='1438108580' post='12036052']
This bag is sweet. I'd game it but the Bi Matrix 80X might throw out my back!!
[/quote]

Thanks although I'd think you might struggle more with the 95X Aldila NV! ;)

I'm currently rather tempted to boot the 2 iron out in favour of a 2 hybrid......I'd lose the cool factor but pick up 10-15 yards! Only issue I have is I prefer to hit a 2 iron off the deck to a hybrid......

Tough call at the minute!

What 2 hybrid

Thanks :) I think this is about the rough cost in £'s and $'s, add £45 if I get the hybrid

£60 - Driver/3W head
£70 - BiMatrix
£115 - MP68s + 37s
£40 - X100 shafts for 2/3/3W
£240 - Putter
£75 - Wedges
£100 - Bag
£105 - Shoes
£45 - Nike VR head
£0 - Aldila shaft
£35 - Grips

There's actually £895 ($1400) in the bag in total (rounding to the nearest £5 when counting)

That said I needed new shoes as I had none and the bag is actually from five years ago and grips are consumables in reality! So removing them we get to

$1025 or £655, I was close on my guess of $1000 :)

Never fun to add up what you've spent though, golf is definitely a more expensive game over here! Shafts just aren't readily available over here in X or the weight I like :(