2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Good women's golf club starter set?

CC268

Hey guys,

My girlfriend is interested in getting into golf and wants to get a good set of beginner clubs. She is 5' 4" (if that matters). We have taken a look at the club sets at PGA Superstore, they seem to have a decent selection. However, I have no idea what to get for a lady who is just beginning.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are doing it right. I could get technical, but the truth is that she needs to pick the one she will like the best and have the most pride in. The more she likes em, the more she will play. Go with her instincts.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I will second the thought of get her a set she likes. If she enjoys and likes her set of clubs, she will want to golf. You should be able to build a set fairly cheep. Look on eBay, and the other used club sites. Women's clubs are pretty cheap right now.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

There have been a few threads on this in the last year ( at least) but I couldn't pull them up on a search on your behalf. I often find on a specific issue I do best to use Google, searching with golfwrx.com then my specific criteria words.

I agree with the comment earlier that if she likes them ( which may mean she likes the look...not a lot different than experienced guys who often decide right away they like how a club looks/ sits, or not) that may help her interest.

I've commented in the past that it pays to get a clubfitter to check the specs on any women's boxed set. On both sets we got for my wife the specs were way off from the manufacturer's site and ading some weight here and there helped.

She presently is using the Adams a12os boxed set.

Also recommend several lessons by a good pro in your area. It will pay benefits on her early learning and be a lot easier on your relationship. If she later agrees to some coaching from you, ok. But from one whohas been there, learning to keep your mouth shut unless she asks for specific help will be the biggest test to keep her experience fun.

[quote name='CC268' timestamp='1437268713' post='11975586']
Hey guys,

My girlfriend is interested in getting into golf and wants to get a good set of beginner clubs. [b]She is 5' 4" (if that matters).[/b] <snip>
[/quote]

It matters!!!

It matters [b]A LOT[/b] in my experience. At a minimum, it means she could need a petite size in golf clubs. (Sorry, just can't stay quiet after reading that)

Here is the best information I know for beginner clubs and If I had my way Tom's post would be stickied on the top of every forum on this website.

From The Man Himself, Tom Wishon:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/944355-fitting-or-clubs-what-to-do-first/page__view__findpost__p__8328895"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ost__p__8328895[/url]

Measure from her wrist to the floor to get a starting point, because her first clubs may need to be shorter than Tom recommends. Probably your easiest and quickest way is to find a club fitter and get some quick recommendations, but here is a wrist to floor chart (again, courtesy of Tom Wishon) sorry I couldn't find a link:

[attachment=2862094:Tom Wishon wrist to floor chart.JPG]

Also, USKids Golf offers sets for 5'3" golfers and this could be an option for her. Caution: I couldn't find any specs, so these shafts could be short and need lengthening. Plus with junior clubs [i]regripping is essential [/i]because everything (and I mean EVERYTHING in my experience) will go left if you use junior grips.

HTH,

:wave:

KM

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1437292066' post='11976878']
I think you are doing it right. I could get technical, but the truth is that she needs to pick the one she will like the best and have the most pride in. The more she likes em, the more she will play. Go with her instincts.
[/quote]

I went the box set route with my gf(now wife) and she hated them because they were pink, sold them and then we got her what she liked and hit well at GG. Did the same to test driver and putter, then grabbed them both new on eBay for peanuts. She played more often and wanted to get better after she got "her" new clubs. It costs a little more, but if you want to enjoy rounds with her often I would go that route.

Ping G30 customized for fit. My wife is an avid golfer and she rejects the habit of manufacturers putting cute names and pastel colors on a club and calling it for women...like an air freshener commercial or worse. now she plays i25s and can actually relate as fellow golfer which is a what she wants. she works hard on her swing, lessons, and it shows.

[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1437313367' post='11977614']
[quote name='CC268' timestamp='1437268713' post='11975586']
Hey guys,

My girlfriend is interested in getting into golf and wants to get a good set of beginner clubs. [b]She is 5' 4" (if that matters).[/b] <snip>
[/quote]

It matters!!!

It matters [b]A LOT[/b] in my experience. At a minimum, it means she could need a petite size in golf clubs. (Sorry, just can't stay quiet after reading that)

Here is the best information I know for beginner clubs and If I had my way Tom's post would be stickied on the top of every forum on this website.

From The Man Himself, Tom Wishon:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/944355-fitting-or-clubs-what-to-do-first/page__view__findpost__p__8328895"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ost__p__8328895[/url]

Measure from her wrist to the floor to get a starting point, because her first clubs may need to be shorter than Tom recommends. Probably your easiest and quickest way is to find a club fitter and get some quick recommendations, but here is a wrist to floor chart (again, courtesy of Tom Wishon) sorry I couldn't find a link:

[attachment=2862094:Tom Wishon wrist to floor chart.JPG]

Also, USKids Golf offers sets for 5'3" golfers and this could be an option for her. Caution: I couldn't find any specs, so these shafts could be short and need lengthening. Plus with junior clubs [i]regripping is essential [/i]because everything (and I mean EVERYTHING in my experience) will go left if you use junior grips.

HTH,

KM
[/quote]
Thanks, Kathy Marie. Thoughtful post as usual. Reminded me to agree to check grip size. Prob not the case for rhe OP's girlfriend, but we found my wife's hand size is 1/64 less than men's standard grips. We went with men's standard GolfPride Tour 25 both for size and to help bring the swingweight feel up ( yes, they were THAT light under women's standard...some individual clubs also needed a bit weight in the shaft).

A lot of women have very small hands as well.

My wife started with a Nancy Lopez set, after some fitting and improvement she now plays clubs with mens regular shafts.

If not for surgery July 3rd, she was going to get fit and custom order a set of irons, I suspect she will end up with Regular shafts on the soft side cut down 1/2 inch.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

Thanks guys. Now when you guys say get her fitted for clubs. Is this something that can be done at the PGA SuperStore or Golfsmith, etc?

We have some great fitters like Hot Stix and Cool Clubs, but that is some serious cash for a beginner.

Preowned might not be a bad idea, but I am hesitant to piece together a set right now as I just don't know much about womens clubs.

[quote name='CC268' timestamp='1437319334' post='11978054']
Thanks guys. Now when you guys say get her fitted for clubs. Is this something that can be done at the PGA SuperStore or Golfsmith, etc?

We have some great fitters like Hot Stix and Cool Clubs, but that is some serious cash for a beginner.

Preowned might not be a bad idea, but I am hesitant to piece together a set right now as I just don't know much about womens clubs.
[/quote]

It probably depends on the bigbox store. Maybe be more specific on your location and you might get some recs here or by a private message.

Stick to a baseline "box" set, or something inexpensive but not cheap. Tell her she can shop the used stuff for something she might like, but promise her in advance you will get her a new set of grips if you go used. Either way, just be prepared to look at this like a 6-18 month test. As Kathy Marie said, height does matter a lot. All of it matters, but consider also that kindling a fire means sometimes not blowing too hard to blow out the flame.

Anyhow, most everyone here will admit that they didn't get fit first; it was only after playing a while that they got serious, got fit, and had played enough to appreciate the difference. Remember, ultimately your job is to give her a good experience, and you need to use your judgement as to how to achieve that.

Oh, and ya, go to the PGA super store up on 101 north.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1437336003' post='11979572']Stick to a baseline "box" set, or something inexpensive but not cheap. Tell her she can shop the used stuff for something she might like, but promise her in advance you will get her a new set of grips if you go used. Either way, just be prepared to look at this like a 6-18 month test. As Kathy Marie said, height does matter a lot. All of it matters, but consider also that kindling a fire means sometimes not blowing too hard to blow out the flame.

Anyhow, most everyone here will admit that they didn't get fit first; it was only after playing a while that they got serious, got fit, and had played enough to appreciate the difference. Remember, ultimately your job is to give her a good experience, and you need to use your judgement as to how to achieve that.Oh, and ya, go to the PGA super store up on 101 north.[/quote]

This seems closer to my line of thinking...I think that is probably the route we will go.

When my wife told me she was interested in trying golf, I had her fitted for a reduced set Pings, from 7 iron through wedge and a hybrid. This got her off to a fabulous start and she never looked back.

If your goal is to have her enjoy the game, get her some easy to hit equipment fit for her. Fewer, better clubs is a better investment imho than a full set when she's just starting.

I booked her for some lessons which was the best thing I could have done. Then when I tried to give her advice on the course she said "should I take advice from you or the pro?"

Now I just keep my yap shut and I get to golf with my wife 4x a week.

I tend to recommend the Adams women's sets. Like you'd expect, they are heavy on the hybrids and that's a huge help for a woman getting started. I played in an executive women's golf group for awhile and half the bags were Adams.

People don't tend to think much about it, but make sure she starts with a proper golf ball. Supersofts and Duos are easy to hit and relatively cheap. I see women trying to hit rocks all the time when, for a couple of bucks more, they could hit a ball that actually suits their swing.

Group lessons for women are really cheap. It'd be a great gift. It's a lot less intimidating to learn that way and not be surrounded by twenty something guys swinging for the fences.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

This set looks nice, but the shaft lengths look too long for her: [url="http://adamsgolf.com/Speedline-Complete-Set---Womens/DW-AL351-W.html"]http://adamsgolf.com...DW-AL351-W.html[/url]

She has a wrist to floor of 32". That would mean the Adams Speedline set is too long.They supposedly make a Petite length but I can't find it anywhere.The Tour Edge stuff would actually fit her better according to that chart above, just not sure on Tour Edge vs. Adams.

Otherwise there is always this option from Tour Edge: [url="http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28533656"]http://www.dicksspor...ductId=28533656[/url]

Do you guys have any suggestions on what shaft length she should be looking at?

She definitely plans to get a few lessons to get her going.

From what I've gathered from Tom's posts, the wrist-to-floor chart gives the *longest* length and then it's shortened to fit the golfer's needs & abilities. IIRC, he said subtract an inch or more for beginners, with a 32" wrist to floor measurement that would give a recommended 5 iron length of 36" and a driver length of 41.75" for her--and those are maximums.

In the post I referenced above, Tom said:

[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1387568356' post='8328895']
I proposed that they build or buy sets/clubs for beginners and very high handicappers to use when taking lessons and to discourage the beginners/100+ shooters from buying any clubs yet. These teaching sets (men's here for this post - we had other specs for the women) consisted of the following:

Driver of 13*/42", fairway wood of 20*/39", hybrid of 25*/38", iron set starting at #5 at 30* in 4* increments down to PW at 50*, wide sole sand wedge, putter. Shafts were A flex std. Driver never got used for a while, but it was part of the set because golfers tend to want to hit a driver as soon as possible in the game. Women's version of this was 1" to 1.5" shorter, driver was 16*, fwy was 25*, hybrid was 30*, irons went from 34 down to 50 and all clubs had much lighter shafts.
[/quote]

I think Tom intends the women's set to start with a 6 iron as otherwise the lofts work out to give a 55° pitching wedge. Now I'm not a club builder, OK? So it might be a good idea to run this by them in the WRX Club Techs Forum, here: [url="http://www.golfwrx.c...wrx-club-techs/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...wrx-club-techs/[/url]

This is what I *think* Tom meant for women beginners: FLEX: very light shafts, possibly LL Flex. Driver: 16° loft, 41-40.5" length. Fairway Wood: 25° loft and 38-37.5" length. Hybrid: 30° loft and 37-36.5" length. Irons should start with the 6 iron and I'm basing the lengths on the 36" 5i length from her wrf measurement. 6i: 34° loft and 35.5" length. 7i: 38° loft and 35" length. 8i: 42° loft and 34.5" length. 9i: 46° loft and 34" length. PW: 38° loft and 34" length. SW is usually ~55° loft and 33.5" length (Tom recommends a wide sole) and of course a putter.

I think going with the shorter lengths for the driver through hybrid makes more sense--that gives an inch difference between the hybrid and the 6 iron.

I agree the Adams set is way too long. The Tour Edge Petite is available but if you can't get specs for it, I'd pass. The Tour Edge Varsity HP-25 might be an option, you'd need to re-grip everything to fit her hands though. Maltby/Golfworks is running a sale. If the advert about free assembly is correct AND they sell to the public, you could her outfitted for about the cost of the varsity set. I'm a little fuzzy on that, I've heard nothing but praises for Tom Wishon's clubs but AFAIK he doesn't sell to the public (only fitters.) It may be Golfworks does the same.

Oh, one more thing: when a graphite shaft is shortened, it changes the flex & the shaft becomes stiffer. I *think* it's ~2" per flex, ie, cut off 2" and your ladies shaft becomes an A flex; cut 2" more off and your lades shaft is now an R flex, etc. This is important because when the cheery salesperson says, "NOT a problem, we can shorten it for you, no charge!!!" YOU will know better.

Best of luck & All Happiness to you and your bride on the course!

Kathy Marie

[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1437368858' post='11982458']
From what I've gathered from Tom's posts, the wrist-to-floor chart gives the *longest* length and then it's shortened to fit the golfer's needs & abilities. IIRC, he said subtract an inch or more for beginners, with a 32" wrist to floor measurement that would give a recommended 5 iron length of 36" and a driver length of 41.75" for her--and those are maximums.

In the post I referenced above, Tom said:

[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1387568356' post='8328895']
I proposed that they build or buy sets/clubs for beginners and very high handicappers to use when taking lessons and to discourage the beginners/100+ shooters from buying any clubs yet. These teaching sets (men's here for this post - we had other specs for the women) consisted of the following:

Driver of 13*/42", fairway wood of 20*/39", hybrid of 25*/38", iron set starting at #5 at 30* in 4* increments down to PW at 50*, wide sole sand wedge, putter. Shafts were A flex std. Driver never got used for a while, but it was part of the set because golfers tend to want to hit a driver as soon as possible in the game. Women's version of this was 1" to 1.5" shorter, driver was 16*, fwy was 25*, hybrid was 30*, irons went from 34 down to 50 and all clubs had much lighter shafts.
[/quote]

I think Tom intends the women's set to start with a 6 iron as otherwise the lofts work out to give a 55° pitching wedge. Now I'm not a club builder, OK? So it might be a good idea to run this by them in the WRX Club Techs Forum, here: [url="http://www.golfwrx.c...wrx-club-techs/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...wrx-club-techs/[/url]

This is what I *think* Tom meant for women beginners: FLEX: very light shafts, possibly LL Flex. Driver: 16° loft, 41-40.5" length. Fairway Wood: 25° loft and 38-37.5" length. Hybrid: 30° loft and 37-36.5" length. Irons should start with the 6 iron and I'm basing the lengths on the 36" 5i length from her wrf measurement. 6i: 34° loft and 35.5" length. 7i: 38° loft and 35" length. 8i: 42° loft and 34.5" length. 9i: 46° loft and 34" length. PW: 38° loft and 34" length. SW is usually ~55° loft and 33.5" length (Tom recommends a wide sole) and of course a putter.

I think going with the shorter lengths for the driver through hybrid makes more sense--that gives an inch difference between the hybrid and the 6 iron.

I agree the Adams set is way too long. The Tour Edge Petite is available but if you can't get specs for it, I'd pass. The Tour Edge Varsity HP-25 might be an option, you'd need to re-grip everything to fit her hands though. [b]Maltby/Golfworks is running a sale. If the advert about free assembly is correct AND they sell to the public, you could her outfitted for about the cost of the varsity set.[/b] I'm a little fuzzy on that, I've heard nothing but praises for Tom Wishon's clubs but AFAIK he doesn't sell to the public (only fitters.) It may be Golfworks does the same.

Oh, one more thing: when a graphite shaft is shortened, it changes the flex & the shaft becomes stiffer. I *think* it's ~2" per flex, ie, cut off 2" and your ladies shaft becomes an A flex; cut 2" more off and your lades shaft is now an R flex, etc. This is important because when the cheery salesperson says, "NOT a problem, we can shorten it for you, no charge!!!" YOU will know better.

Best of luck & All Happiness to you and your bride on the course!

Kathy Marie
[/quote]

Yes, The Golfworks sells clubs direct to the public and you can talk to a real person and get some more info or advice. I've never bought clubs from them, but I did that when I bought shafts.

It depends on what you'd like to spend.

Golfsmith has true beginner sets (inc. woods, hybrids, irons, putter, bag, hc's) for $499 which are considered [b]good[/b]. You can go to [b]better[/b] (Adams/Callaway) complete sets for $799. Then, there is[b] best[/b] for $2000+.

If she'll have an instructor, get them involved. If no instructor, maybe you can borrow ladies clubs for her to use for a few range sessions or rounds to see if golf is something worth spending her money.

She doesn't want to spend more than $400 and that is on the high end. Quite frankly, I don't blame her. The Lady Edge Tour Edge Petite would have a driver length of 42.5".

Getting "custom" clubs for her seems absolutely ludicrous at this point...I understand that we need to get her something that will fit her as best as possible...but it needs to be reasonable. Maybe I will see if Golf Smith can do some static fitting...