New Wilson 50 Elite.

Minarets

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='AILD' timestamp='1436985474' post='11954928']
Hey guys,

I told you I would get back to you with some information. Overall, there is a neglible difference in the previous generation to the current. However, I do think the updated graphics look better. Now, compared to the '15 Duo, these balls are not far off, certainly not seven dollars off. I felt that the 50Elite was a better all around performer, especially around the greens I felt had noticeably more check than the Duo. Duo was likely a little straighter off the tee.

These balls are like 6.99 a dozen on budgetgolf for the blemish model too, just a heads up as if these things could get any cheaper.
[/quote]

Wilson has severely underpriced this ball...

[quote name='mulliganman30' timestamp='1436988565' post='11955228']
[quote name='AILD' timestamp='1436985474' post='11954928']
Hey guys,

I told you I would get back to you with some information. Overall, there is a neglible difference in the previous generation to the current. However, I do think the updated graphics look better. Now, compared to the '15 Duo, these balls are not far off, certainly not seven dollars off. I felt that the 50Elite was a better all around performer, especially around the greens I felt had noticeably more check than the Duo. Duo was likely a little straighter off the tee.

These balls are like 6.99 a dozen on budgetgolf for the blemish model too, just a heads up as if these things could get any cheaper.
[/quote]

Wilson has severely underpriced this ball...
[/quote]

Maybe we should close this thread so they don't find out lol

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I've always played urethane balls, Z Star the most. Started playing the Cally SuperSoft late last year on a whim. Love it!
Read this thread and picked up some Wilson 50 Elites tonight at Walmart. Marked down from $12 to $9 (it's the new model).
I'm excited to give them a go tomorrow! For $9 a dozen I figured its a no-brainer experiment.

Ping G430 LST 9* 
Ping G430 5W 17*

Ping G430 4H 21*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 Yellow 

[quote name='CAT GOLFER' timestamp='1437403221' post='11983780']
I'm intrigued, I see it is marketed to mid/slow swingers, will it's benefits fit a faster swinger (95-100mph)? Starting to run low on balls (self inflicted loss and just a long time since I have bought balls) so I was looking for some new models to try.
[/quote]

I swing 100/105 and have hit my longest drives ever with this ball :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1437403576' post='11983828']
I'm intrigued, I see it is marketed to mid/slow swingers, will it's benefits fit a faster swinger (95-100mph)? Starting to run low on balls (self inflicted loss and just a long time since I have bought balls) so I was looking for some new models to try.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good to hear. Worst case is I buy a dozen balls that I don't feel bad about losing. Thanks Pigems.

[quote name='CAT GOLFER' timestamp='1437403849' post='11983856']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1437403576' post='11983828']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good to hear. Worst case is I buy a dozen balls that I don't feel bad about losing. Thanks Pigems.
[/quote]

Anytime sir, I love saving people money ! :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

From the recommendations in this thread I bought a dozen at Walmart for 10 bucks(because why the heck not? If nothing else, it becomes a practice ball). I have to agree that they could double the price and it'd still be worth grabbing. These balls are incredible. As a low spin player, I really appreciate the extra check I get around the green. My chipping was great all day. I can't say it's a better ball than my trusty ProV1, but the ball performs WAY better than it should for 10 dollars a dozen. I might go back and buy the rest of their stock tomorrow :) Cheap balls that perform this well are tough to find.

[quote name='MattyMo35' timestamp='1437415982' post='11985744']
From the recommendations in this thread I bought a dozen at Walmart for 10 bucks(because why the heck not? If nothing else, it becomes a practice ball). I have to agree that they could double the price and it'd still be worth grabbing. These balls are incredible. As a low spin player, I really appreciate the extra check I get around the green. My chipping was great all day. I can't say it's a better ball than my trusty ProV1, but the ball performs WAY better than it should for 10 dollars a dozen. I might go back and buy the rest of their stock tomorrow :) Cheap balls that perform this well are tough to find.
[/quote]

MattyMo,

when you say you are a low spin player, can you equate that to check up/roll out on the green. the best I can ever do is throw a wedge shot onto a flat portion on a green and maybe spin it back a foot, 2/10 tries. most often I get a hit, bounce forward, and check 1ft away. And that would be with a Pro V1 or B330 or other premium balls (I am so low on ball I am playing with hoarded premium balls as my regulars now). Should I expect about the same, or do I need to account for an extra few feet of roll out/bounce.

[quote name='CAT GOLFER' timestamp='1437416370' post='11985798']
[quote name='MattyMo35' timestamp='1437415982' post='11985744']
[/quote]

MattyMo,

when you say you are a low spin player, can you equate that to check up/roll out on the green. the best I can ever do is throw a wedge shot onto a flat portion on a green and maybe spin it back a foot, 2/10 tries. most often I get a hit, bounce forward, and check 1ft away. And that would be with a Pro V1 or B330 or other premium balls (I am so low on ball I am playing with hoarded premium balls as my regulars now). Should I expect about the same, or do I need to account for an extra few feet of roll out/bounce.
[/quote]

With a full wedge shot, I bring it back about a foot on a flat green with a ProV when I strike it perfectly. I got about the same amount of spin with the Wilson. Around the greens is where I see the biggest improvement with the Wilson 50 E. I hit several pitches where it would bounce once, check hard, and roll out maybe a foot or two. I left my first couple of pitches short because of this. Once I adjusted and landed the ball a couple feet in front of the pin, I put it in there close. For me, and this is only going off one round so my sample size is obviously very small, I had to fly the ball a bit more with the Wilson to get it back to a pin than I do with my ProVs. Another factor that might come into play is that I played the course for the first time yesterday, so they may have more receptive greens than I'm used to. I would definitely give the ball a chance if you're on the fence. As far as golf balls are concerned, they're practically giving them away.

I would jump all over those.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Got a dozen and have 36 holes with them so far. Thought I would share:

Feel: On tee shots, I noticed that you need to really "hit" this ball, they didn't seem to really respond to being swung at (late round, tired swings). On iron shots, they come off the club face like you are making a practice swing. On wedge shots, full and partial, I felt they had good feedback. the only area where I didn't enjoy the feel was on putter, first 18 I had a heavier putter and it was difficult to gauge my distances, second 18 I used a lighter putter and my distances were spot on.

Distance: On tee shots, I would say they were on par with premium balls I have been playing, Irons ended up about 5-10 yards longer, same with wedges.

Spin: I only made one horrible swipe at the ball off the tee, and it ended up one fairway over, but still in play. With Irons is where I think this ball shined, I had a few memorable approach shots from 177 and 215 respective, both out of rough and I managed to fly the ball pin high and they both rolled out a max of 3-4 feet from divot. On wedge shots, I might have to get used to them, but I had several "aggressive" partial wedge shots where they checked up nicely, and then a few bump shots where they ran out a little more than I expected.

Durability: managed to keep both balls in play for 36 holes, no real indications of wear. When they are washed they tack right back up to when they were new out of the sleeve.

All in all, this is a terrific value for a golf ball. Glad I researched it, and that WRX'rs have gotten the word out. I will now clandestinely try to appropriate as many dozen of these before others find out or Wilson changes them.

I normally play the Srixon XV, but put these Wilson balls to the test over the last week and must say that I am impressed. Sorry that I don't have any hard data, and that this review is only based off of my perception; but, these balls performed just as well for me in all aspects of my game. For instance, I was very surprised when I got to the greens and the ball was within 1-2 feet of my pitch mark...honestly I was expecting a lot more roll out from these babies but it just didn't happen. I will definitely purchase some more ($13 at Walmart) and continue to do some play testing.

[quote name='Mr_Pacman' timestamp='1437957439' post='12024428']
For those of you that have both the new 50 elite (larger font) and the older one (W/S shield logo). Have you noticed that cover on the new ball seems to have more of a grippy surface on it? I just tried the newer ball today and it's definitely got more of a tacky surface than the ones I bought from last years stock.
[/quote]Yes, I noticed a slightly different texture on the new logo 50's. I haven't used one yet so I'm not sure of the playing difference.

i bought a few dozen of the older 50s awhile back, tried them a round of two then gave up, as my swing was going to complete crap. it seemed that they were shorter than other balls, which is also why i quit then.. maybe it was the Indian and not the bow huh?

any of you notice that the 50 is short, or is it just my imagination?

For me, it would be your imagination. I thought these were as long, if not longer, than anything I have tried.

Obviously, they are as soft as anything on the market but I am blown away how long they are.

Have any of you tried the new 50 vs the Duo Spin, especially regarding short game spin?

I tried a sleeve of my dad's Duo Spin yesterday and was super impressed. I usually use some urethane ball I've found a deal on, but the DS did just fine spin-wise (though in fairness yesterday the greens were softer than usual).

For me, that ultra-soft feel at impact with every club is almost addicting. If the 50 spins nearly as well around the greens, I'd give it a go.

Srixon Z785, Wilson Staff 13 3W, W/S FG51 3-PW, Ram Watson Troon 55, Ram Nick Price 62, Wilson 8813, Srixon XV

I haven't suffered at all from a lack of spin with these. These spin plenty for me. Plenty. And like someone just said, the soft feel is so addicting I wouldn't care if I lost spin.