The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

Hstead

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1435884827' post='11879350']
I'm still working on Dan's chipping method. I have spent at least ten hours practicing. I see some positive results but I still blade and chunk my fair share.

I usually use my G20 lob wedge for shots. I know this isn't ideal but I've tried the Glide 58 degree WS wedge and it was much worse. I don't think I can use a thinner soled wedge because I will chunk the crap out of it or blade it more often than I do now. Chipping yips suck!
[/quote]

My understandings that the TS have the most bounce...whilst it might seem like the thinner sole should make it easier to cut into the ground (and chunk it), the TS have all the bounce to stop this occurring.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1435888867' post='11879732']
[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1435884827' post='11879350']
I'm still working on Dan's chipping method. I have spent at least ten hours practicing. I see some positive results but I still blade and chunk my fair share.

I usually use my G20 lob wedge for shots. I know this isn't ideal but I've tried the Glide 58 degree WS wedge and it was much worse. I don't think I can use a thinner soled wedge because I will chunk the crap out of it or blade it more often than I do now. Chipping yips suck!
[/quote]

Was is the worst wedge you could use. Low bounce and wide. TS is what you need to try. Very high bounce and narrow sole. It won't dig. You should be hitting the ground and hitting it pretty hard. Should be a thump keeping club head low post impact
[/quote]

I will try one Dan. I have watched your YouTube videos and I have to be doing something wrong that I blade so many chips. Your swing looks so effortless on the various chip shots from the rough.

Maybe it's time to pony up the $40 bucks for Your online video? Or, you could fly to Wisconsin and give me a lesson!!! I'd take ya to Stricker's cabin but he has banned me from there. :(

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

• 3 weeks later...

After two weeks of trying this method I have given up. Maybe I'm not doing it right, and without hands on instruction, I just can't make it work more than 25 percent of the time. Too many blades and lately chunking the ball. It's costing me at least 4 shots a round. Gonna try something else.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1437259876' post='11974760']
After two weeks of trying this method I have given up. Maybe I'm not doing it right, and without hands on instruction, I just can't make it work more than 25 percent of the time. Too many blades and lately chunking the ball. It's costing me at least 4 shots a round. Gonna try something else.
[/quote]

Did you actually buy the videos. Blading isn't possible. And fat shots don't matter as the club won't dig and result will be the same as a clean shot. You obviously aren't doing it close to right. Can guarantee you are not keeping clubhead low and on the target line through and post impact. Clubhead should be finishing close to the ground and well below your hands. I'd bet almost anything clubhead is above your hands with arms bent when you finish

Buy the videos, trust me. I attempted to use this method with limited success until I actually bought the video and watched it over and over again. There is so much information in a short video. Make sure you watch one segment at a time though and go practice instead of watching them all.

First time out after watching it and had unbelievable results, very easy to do once you see and understand it

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1437261046' post='11974856']
[/quote]

Did you actually buy the videos. Blading isn't possible. And fat shots don't matter as the club won't dig and result will be the same as a clean shot. You obviously aren't doing it close to right. Can guarantee you are not keeping clubhead low and on the target line through and post impact. Clubhead should be finishing close to the ground and well below your hands. I'd bet almost anything clubhead is above your hands with arms bent when you finish
[/quote]
I honestly can't remember blading or duffing a chip/pitch since using this method

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1437261046' post='11974856']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I understand using this method chipping close to green. I have trouble hitting shots off the fairway from 20-40 yards. I'm not sure how to hit shots that carry this far. Do I try and keep thumbs down? Handle at belly button or lower? Ball position is where?

It seems like when I try and hit a shot with 20 yards of carry or more, I am scooping it or blading it. I don't see this type of shot in the short game videos.

Yes, I do have the videos.

Start with the basic chip shot video and focus on ball position ( should be under left arm pit or forward ) and arm action. Start with a straight forward 10 yarder and then just make the swing longer. Arm action can feel just like a putt, just swing your arms back and through keeping clubhead low on both sides and the bounce will not let you chunk it. Even aim an inch behind the ball and hit ground with the bounce and you will start to get the feel. Thump the ground right behind the ball. The 20 yard shot is probably the easiest really as this technique is basically a pitch shot anyway, ball forward, using bounce and loft to hit is high and soft.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1437320759' post='11978186']
Start with the basic chip shot video and focus on ball position ( should be under left arm pit or forward ) and arm action. Start with a straight forward 10 yarder and then just make the swing longer. Arm action can feel just like a putt, just swing your arms back and through keeping clubhead low on both sides and the bounce will not let you chunk it. Even aim an inch behind the ball and hit ground with the bounce and you will start to get the feel. Thump the ground right behind the ball. The 20 yard shot is probably the easiest really as this technique is basically a pitch shot anyway, ball forward, using bounce and loft to hit is high and soft.
[/quote]

Believe me, I have tried. When I'm on the course I tend to try to scoop it or something. Maybe I move or dip down which ends up chunking it under pressure. I'm not sure. When I practice I hit bladed shots, chunks and some just perfect. I seem to chip much better when I point both feet to the left and ball in middle to back of stance. I open club face a lot, butt of club pointed at my bellybutton, and try to swing shallow to target. I think this setup helps with with my body rotating toward target.

I will work on it some more but having the handle high and swinging thumbs down is hard for me to do for some reason.

When I'm not striking the ball crisply, I deliberately hit it fat. When using the bounce correctly it takes bad misses out of play by taking the blade out of play. On a really bad day where I am decelerating I will use pitching wedge instead of lob wedge, as the swing feels too big on those days. I suspect you still haven't ingrained the technique yet.

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1437349333' post='11980674']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1437320759' post='11978186']
[/quote]

Believe me, I have tried. When I'm on the course I tend to try to scoop it or something. Maybe I move or dip down which ends up chunking it under pressure. I'm not sure. When I practice I hit bladed shots, chunks and some just perfect. I seem to chip much better when I point both feet to the left and ball in middle to back of stance. I open club face a lot, butt of club pointed at my bellybutton, and try to swing shallow to target. I think this setup helps with with my body rotating toward target.

I will work on it some more but having the handle high and swinging thumbs down is hard for me to do for some reason.
[/quote]

Who said handle high? Handle high is absolutely only for tight lies. For a basic shot the setup is the same as a full shot except feet narrower and ball more forward. The hands shouldn't be high on 40-50 yard half wedges. From the distance it's literally a half swing. I'd bet you're standing way too close to it. Shouldn't open stance and play ball back. That's simply playing with your arms behind you and stuck. Setup correctly with hands under your chin and club around 90* to your spine from DTL.

This vid series really improved my game and I've taught it to a few friends and they improved immediately as well. It's so simple and logical but most of us always played it off our back foot all our lives for some reason. It's really hard to hit a bad shot if you're doing this method correctly. Even the "bad ones" aren't that bad at all because of the use of the bounce. You can hit it 4" behind the ball and still get it on in decent shape. Fairway bunkers were always a sore point for me although green-side bunkers were always the best part of my game. No issues now with fairway bunkers and my green-side bunker play has gotten even better. Oh and those tight lies from around the green are also a no brainier now. I actually hit one off hard dirt the other day and stuck it within 5 feet from about 15 yards off the green. I would have had no clue what to do let alone make a good shot before.

If you have trouble with your short game and you haven't bought this you're nuts.

I have been working harder at the short game and have re- watched some of your videos as I have been struggling of late. What I have noticed for me that seems to work best is to really exaggerate having the ball forward in my stance where it looks like it's even with the outside of my left foot. Two questions that I have that were not clear in the video were set up for a standard chip shot that was not a tight lie. Where should the handle point? at your zipper as it does when hitting shots from the rough? Secondly is the motion more of a rocking of the shoulders to move the club back and forth or is it really a movement of the hands? Also finally and this one might be very important is is there any shaft lean at address I eat where should I have the handle pointing app setup before moving the club should the shaft be completely vertical or someone laid back or should it be even with my left thigh where there might be a little bit of shaft lean?

[quote name='mitchdoc' timestamp='1437517661' post='11995060']
I have been working harder at the short game and have re- watched some of your videos as I have been struggling of late. What I have noticed for me that seems to work best is to really exaggerate having the ball forward in my stance where it looks like it's even with the outside of my left foot. Two questions that I have that were not clear in the video were set up for a standard chip shot that was not a tight lie. Where should the handle point? at your zipper as it does when hitting shots from the rough? Secondly is the motion more of a rocking of the shoulders to move the club back and forth or is it really a movement of the hands? Also finally and this one might be very important is is there any shaft lean at address I eat where should I have the handle pointing app setup before moving the club should the shaft be completely vertical or someone laid back or should it be even with my left thigh where there might be a little bit of shaft lean?
[/quote]

Handle changes with lie. Normal lie is towards belt buckle similar to full swing. Shaft should be slightly forward. Don't use your feet for ball position. Use shoulder. Shouldn't be leaning backwards. Definitely not shoulders. Arms swinging should control pivot. Pivot is very small and reactionary

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1437525686' post='11995796']
[/quote]

Handle changes with lie. Normal lie is towards belt buckle similar to full swing. Shaft should be slightly forward. Don't use your feet for ball position. Use shoulder. Shouldn't be leaning backwards. Definitely not shoulders. Arms swinging should control pivot. Pivot is very small and reactionary
[/quote]

By arms do you mean the biceps area or more the forearms?
Also wrist hinge c0ck do you inhibit those on chips or allow wieght of club to do it. I struggle most on shorter chips as I feel I have to much swing then decelrate...

Running chips are with 60. I don't hit anything that runs more that 60-70% of the way. Not really a shot I ever encounter on modern green complexes with fast greens. You're likely not too steep you're likely making too big a backswing a pumping the brakes through impact. You should be hitting these hard. There should be an audible thump

[quote name='mitchdoc' timestamp='1437532185' post='11996582']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1437525686' post='11995796']
[/quote]

[/quote]

By arms do you mean the biceps area or more the forearms?
Also wrist hinge c0ck do you inhibit those on chips or allow wieght of club to do it. I struggle most on shorter chips as I feel I have to much swing then decelrate...
[/quote]

You're way over thinking this. Your arms. Your whole arms. Literally swing them. I can promis you you're turning too much and too shoulder driven. These are small motions. On a short chip hands are maybe moving 6" in the backswing. Maybe. You have to realize the clubhead is making the biggest arm and everything is smaller the closer it gets to you. Meaning if hands only move 6" shoulders are virtually still.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1437573956' post='11998984']On a short chip hands are maybe moving 6" in the backswing. Maybe. You have to realize the clubhead is making the biggest arm and everything is smaller the closer it gets to you. Meaning if hands only move 6" shoulders are virtually still. [/quote]

On these short chips, do you still make that audible thump?

[quote name='sjsdogsrule' timestamp='1437583983' post='12000068']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1437573956' post='11998984']On a short chip hands are maybe moving 6" in the backswing. Maybe. You have to realize the clubhead is making the biggest arm and everything is smaller the closer it gets to you. Meaning if hands only move 6" shoulders are virtually still. [/quote]

On these short chips, do you still make that audible thump?
[/quote]
Yes. Won't be as loud. Helps to open face a little so you feel like you can hit it a bit harder

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the Ping Glide 60* in ES? looks like it has a ton of bounce. Dan what are your thoughts on ES vs. TS?

Someone with time on their hands should compile a list of the Dan Carraher recommended wedges from the various manufacturers in this thread...

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Any opinions on the s and c grind on the new callaway md3 wedges Dan?

2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1441473773' post='12268130']
C grind
[/quote]

Currently in a 3 day Ryder Cup tourney and I dazzled the crowd with my 60* wizardy around the greens. One of the best parts of my game now thanks to Dan and the 60* wedge is probably the most used club in my bag now.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1441473773' post='12268130']
C grind
[/quote]
For just 60 or 54 and 50 also?