Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons

JHag

Got a set coming with Project X PXI 6.0 shaft. Thanks Jaywh2! I have gone through all the threads on these irons on numerous forums but haven't got the chance to ever hit them. Really looking forward to getting them!

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

Love these irons.... got 5.5's before I realized the shafts are weaker than the standard project x. Gotta re-shaft or sell 'em.

Driver - Callaway AI Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 (Ventus TR Red)
3w - Titleist Tsr2 (Venus TR Blue)
7w - Callaway Apex UW (HZRDUS RDX Smoke)

4 & 5 - Srixon zx5 mkii (Modus 120)

6-PW - Srixon zx7 mkii (Modus 120)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 51*F / 55*D / 60*M
Putter - Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='texchad12' timestamp='1404869228' post='9663315']
I hit the DPC's. They are an interesting iron. The length of the blade is longer than i expected. I would say they are more forgiving than i expected but i didn't love the size of the head. I much preferred the cb's. I do kind of like the stiffer project x shafts though. A little more carry than my s3's.
[/quote]

The size is a bit bigger than what I was used to as well. I ended up replacing the PW because of it. But they just flat out perform better than almost any other irons I've hit.

If you want to see what they look like in black oxide, I had them done. It helps make the head look smaller as well as just being awesome looking. Here's the link to that thread with all the pics:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1045357-black-oxide-j40s-yeah-i-did-that-and-black-oxide-scor-wedges/

It'll take something special to knock them out of my bag. I pretty much hit every iron on the market in trying to find the right ones and the DPC is where it's at for me. Great overall club.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1403274119' post='9538959']
I too wish Bridgestone would make some J40 DPC gap and sand wedges. I am currently playing a 55 degree Snake Eyes forged wedge which has a head shape that matches the DPC fairly well. I like a large faced wedge. It's not as soft as the DPCs. So I am still on the hunt.

The Adams XTD forged and Mizuno JPX wedges look good on paper but I have yet to see any IRL.
[/quote]

Never did find an Adams XTD forged wedge IRL. The Mizuno JPX looked like a balloon on a stick, did not feel that great either. The Cobra Tour Trusty felt great and I picked up gap wedge here in the BST. It fits in nicely with the DPCs and is very soft (and bendable).

[quote name='HackerD ' timestamp='1404428660' post='9633501']
Going back and forth between G15 and JPX-825 irons for the past two seasons with streaks of brilliant iron play between long stretches of mediocrity. But lately been playing JPX-800 Pro w/ steelfiber shafts, my third string irons, and iron play has been way more consistent. I love the forged feel, and the distance control with these shafts has been great. Only problem is lack of forgiveness on strikes toward the toe.

Ordered the J40 DPC w/ steelfiber shafts; I think will be the ultimate answer for me.
[/quote]
Played 6 rounds last week in So Carolina with the new J40 DPC/Steelfibers. Good opportunity to get used to them. Took 3 rounds to start to hit them more consistently. Adapting to the low offset took a bit of tweaking -- stronger grip. Definitely started to hit some solid approach shots but based on the limited experience forgiveness overall similar to the JPX 800 pro's. Using a SM4 gap wedge (50*).

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

Just wanted to confirm that the PX 6 Flighted is similar in flex to other stiff iron shafts have played. I was concerned that it would play stiffer to flex like the regular PX but no issues so far.
FYI - I hit my seven about 165-170 and a 10.8 handicap. If you are on the fence about these irons because of the shafts, jump in asap. Loved my CB3 irons and A12 Pros [ KBS Tour 90 and KBS Tour] but these are so much better and fit my swing perfectly.

Been playing these irons for a couple weeks now. They have officially kicked my i20s out of my bag and I will be selling those soon. I'm putting my recoil prototypes in them now and they'll be ready to play by Thursday. Cant wait! Should be a great combo.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

Finally got my recoil prototypes on the DPCs! I am in love!!!! I don't know if it will be possible for any set to kick these out of my bag.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

Just ordered J40's 5-PW. They come stock w/ PX 5.5 Flighted. I remember them feeling a little harsh last time I played a round w/ those shafts, but its been a few years ago. Ordered a set of KBS Tour-V's to swap out if I don't care for the PX. Any thoughts on how that combo would play vs the PX shafts that come stock?

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

Wish I had the game for them!

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

I switched the PX 6.0 flighted to Matrix proto shafts. They are progressively longer per club vs the PX. Ballflight is killer. And all my shoulder and elbow pain is gone (I think it is. Played 4 straight days with them and normally I'd be in serious pain). Great clubs. I don't see the new ones kicking these out of the bag.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Just played first round w/ PX 5.5 Flighted. Great round. Not harsh in the least. I have KBS Tour-Vs that came in today as well, but I'm not sure I'll switch yet. Actually, I hit the 5.5's kind of high. Would the V's help keep the ball down a little?

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1406678163' post='9812851']
Best irons I have owned. Playing mine with Steel Fibers. Here to stay in the bag. No desire to stray at all.
[/quote]

How do you like the steelfiber in these? I have pxi 5.5 but thinking of going to 95 reg steel fibers. Let me know your thoughts and if you have any experience with other shafts in these. Any feedback from anyone would be appreciated.

Especially after reading these reviews I am so glad I bought these irons last night. Went in to PGASS and saw a table with clearance clubs. The set they had was a custom order of PX.6 1/2" long and the grips were not on. The manager got them set up for me and I was able to test them out and they felt great. I cant wait to get them on the course this weekend. Now to find a gap wedge. My Ping i20's are in serious danger of being replaced.

[quote name='drm' timestamp='1407509653' post='9887579']
Especially after reading these reviews I am so glad I bought these irons last night. Went in to PGASS and saw a table with clearance clubs. The set they had was a custom order of PX.6 1/2" long and the grips were not on. The manager got them set up for me and I was able to test them out and they felt great. I cant wait to get them on the course this weekend. Now to find a gap wedge. My Ping i20's are in serious danger of being replaced.
[/quote]Nice purchace. Once you start hitting the DPC's you'll quickly forget about the i20's and you'll never look back.

Cobra F8+ 9.5 - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
Cobra F8+14* - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
TM RBZ Black19* & 22* hybrids
TM P790 5-AW - TT DG105 S300
Titleist SM7 wedges 54* 58*
Ping Karsten Series Zing putter

[quote name='Armypilot84' timestamp='1407207143' post='9859259']
So there are a ton of DPC and CB combo sets floating on Ebay. I see how everyone says how forgiving the DPC's are. How forgiving are the CB's?
[/quote]

I am playing the combo set, there is definitely a difference in forgiveness, but it isn't huge. I feel like if you can hit the DPC long irons, than you should be ok with the CB short irons.

Mizuno ST-G - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60
07 TM Burner - 3 Wood
Mizuno Pro - Fli-HI 3
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-6 and CB 7-P w/ PX 6.0
Vokey SM5 50*f & 60*m - Raw Black
Vokey SM5 56*m - Indigo
WITB Link

[quote name='drm' timestamp='1407509653' post='9887579']
[/quote]

I saw those! Good grab! They are CBs, aren't they? I bought a set of the 5-PW pocket cavities. What a great deal! $399. I haven't played with mine yet, but I went to the range and hit a few balls just to try them out. Feel great, great trajectory, and really forgiving. I had knee surgery a little while back so I haven't played in a few months and that was the first time I've tried to hit any balls other than chipping and putting. So I definitely put the forgiveness to the test! LOL Doc said I can start playing again in September.

Anyway, it was a deal I couldn't pass by. Honestly as big a ho as I am I can't believe I never even looked at these! Pretty sure my Titleists are coming out of the bag. Easier to elevate the long irons, but a nice mid-flight with the short irons and a better player can hit it all over the face, relatively speaking of course, and get good results. My Titleists are great irons, but much less helpful when missing the sweet spot by much more than a centimeter either way.

Anybody know which of the incoming J15s are replacing the DPC? I am hoping it's the DF. I don't particularly like the look of the new Dual Cavity they are bringing out. Turbo rubber?

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

Does anyone have the DPC 3 iron?

I just ordered the J40 CB's 4-PW, and I'm considering picking up the DPC 3 iron instead of the CB for a little more forgiveness. I also read in another thread that the back of the muscle pad is visible at address with the CB, which is a bit annoying.

For those with DPC 3 iron, is the back of the club hidden at address?

Just committed heresy. Traded these in at golfsmith in short pump, va. 4-p PC flighted 5.5
Never truly embraced the 4i, don't have time or money for a reshaft. Loved the looks, forgiving despite the fact that I only play 1-2 times per month, wish they had a gw option.

Anyways, traded them because they gave me over $250 and I only paid 280 for them last year.
Went with an uglier, fatter model and had money left over.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ewmcdade' timestamp='1408116643' post='9941105']
Does anyone have the DPC 3 iron?

I just ordered the J40 CB's 4-PW, and I'm considering picking up the DPC 3 iron instead of the CB for a little more forgiveness. I also read in another thread that the back of the muscle pad is visible at address with the CB, which is a bit annoying.

For those with DPC 3 iron, is the back of the club hidden at address?
[/quote]

I actually purchased a 5-PW set w/px because they couldn't order me 3-PW w/DG. Then the store manager called me a few days later(they know me well LOL) and said a guy bought a set of 3-PW w/DG, kept them for a few weeks and played a couple of round with them and brought them back, so he held them for me so I went back up there and picked them up. Same price $399!

As for the 3 iron I can't see the pocket at address. I can see the back of the sole, but I play a 3 iron off my shirt logo and have a little forward press. And again, I can barely see it and I didn't notice it until I tested it so I could reply to you. I had an AP2 3 iron with my Titleists and it was the same way. If you like playing a 3 iron you'll really like having it. A nice comfort level with the extra size and forgiveness w/o the offset of most clubs.

Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed hitting their DPC substantially longer than other forged player's clubs? I'm hitting these at least a full club further than every other players forged cb I've played. I'm not complaining, by the way, I'm just wondering if it's just me.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

• 11 months later...

Much more forgiving than the mp54. Yes a 19 hcap could easily play them.

I would highly recommend them to a mid to high handicap that really wants a clean looking forged iron.

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
UW 17* Smoke 70s

Fli-Hi 19* Smoke 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0