Mikey Town's WITB - New Wedges

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JC671' timestamp='1429313269' post='11384025']
Probably a 915D2 with one of the stock shafts.
[/quote]

Well... My wallet sure would be happy about that fitting!

With my luck, some $500 shaft will be the best by a long shot. LOL

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='JC671' timestamp='1429313269' post='11384025']
Probably a 915D2 with one of the stock shafts.
[/quote]

Well... My wallet sure would be happy about that fitting!

With my luck, some $500 shaft will be the best by a long shot. LOL

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Well... I had my driver fitting at Cool Clubs in Irvine, CA yesterday afternoon. It was a great experience and the fitter, Josiah, was awesome to work with. He sure did give me a workout. I still can't believe all of the clubs I hit.

The first step was to hit my own stuff on the trackman, so we could get a baseline. I brought 2 clubs with me. They were:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*) with Fubuki alpha 63X
TM R15 430 10.5* with Motore Speeder 6.3 VC TS X

After we got some good numbers, he grabbed some heads and shafts... a lot of them.

[b]Heads[/b]
Ping G30 LS Tech 9*
TM R15 460 10.5*
Titleist 915 D2 9.5*
Callaway XR Pro 9*
Nike Vapor Flex

I was hitting my G30 the most consistently, but it was spinning a bit much. Because I swing it well, and was used to the head shape, we started with the G30 LS Tech 9* head (set to 10*) and hit a ton of different shafts, so we could narrow down what shaft was best for me. Some of the shafts were Stiff and some were X-Stiff. That really didn't matter because everything was built to frequency, so it was all apples-to-apples.

[b]Shafts[/b]
AD MJ 6
661 EVO
AD DI 6
Accra Tour Z 65
Fuji Pro 63
Rogue Silver 60 125 MSI
AD MT 6

The stand out shaft for me, by far, was the AD MJ 6. The AD MT 6 was pretty close, but not close enough to consider it.

The next thing he did was go and get another G30 9* head, just like the one I have in the bag, and put the AD MJ 6 in it. He wanted me to hit it side-by-side with my driver. With the same head, we would get an apples-to-apples comparison of what the shafts were doing different. At the end of the day, he knew that the MJ was an expensive shaft and he wanted to make sure it would actually be worth the upgrade. I really appreciated this. The differences between the MJ and the Fubuki alpha weren't huge, but they were apparent. The MJ was giving me 1.5 mph more club head speed, 200 less spin and had the same launch angle. This translated to about 6 more yards of carry. Revolutionary? No... but it would be nice to have.

Now that we knew the MJ was the shaft for me, he put it in all the different heads, to see if we could find something better than the G30 LS Tech, which was very good.

-The longest of all the heads was the XR Pro. However, it wasn't [i]that[/i] much longer than the G30 LS, and it wasn't as consistent.
-The Vapor Flex and R15 460 only lasted 2-3 swings before it was apparent that they just weren't working as well.
-The 915 D2 was very good. I could easily put it in the bag, but it just wasn't as long as the G30 LS.

At the end of the day, my final fitting recommendation was:

[b]Ping G30 LS Tech 9* (set to 10*) with AD MJ 6[/b]

So... what did I end up doing?

I passed on the shaft. For Cool Clubs to build that bad boy out, it would run me $450. For 6 extra yards of carry, I think I'll wait and see. I did end up picking up a G30 LS Tech head, and I will play it with my Fubuki alpha for a while. In the fitting, while the MJ was a great fit for me, it was apparent that the change in head was making a bigger difference. The Fubuki alpha may have been spinning a bit more than what was ideal, but we were also using range balls at the fitting. Once I get it out on the course, with my B330 ball, I'm sure the spin will drop a bit and I look forward to seeing some noticeable gains.

On average, I was seeing 14-17 extra yards of carry with the combo I was fit into. If 6 yards of that was shaft (which is about right, based on the comparison), then I should be seeing an extra 8-11 yards of carry by putting the LS Tech head on my existing shaft. For me, that's a worthwhile upgrade. If I happen upon a good deal on an MJ, maybe it would be nice to pick one up in the future.

For those who want some numbers for reference, here were my average numbers from trackman (based on the 2 best driver combos, the G30 LS and XR Pro, both with the AD MJ 6):

[b]Club[/b]
Club Speed: 100.3
Attack Angle: 5.2
Club Path: 0.4
Vert. Swing Plane: 55.5
Horiz. Swing Plane: 3.8
Dynamic Loft: 15.1
Face Angle: -0.6

[b]Launch[/b]
Ball Speed: 149.8
Smash Factor: 1.49
Vert. Angle: 13.5
Horiz. Angle: 0.1
Spin Rate: 2494
Spin Axis: 2.3
Max Height: 30.7

[b]Landing[/b]
Carry: 251.7
Side: 7.6
Flight Time: 6.46
Landing Angle: 36.5

[b]Total[/b]
Length: 278.1
Side: 8.7

I hope that helps anyone looking into new drivers and/or shafts. I wanted to be sure to post my actual trackman numbers, because so much of what I see here is in the 110-120 mph club head speed range and I don't think a lot of people know how fast that actually is. I do pretty well with my full time job swing, and I hit a few of those range balls out passed the 280 mark with my 100 mph swing speed (longest was 290.4). There is no need to swing out of your shoes, guys... a proper fitting [i]will [/i]help you maximize what you have to work with.

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

One of these days I need to get my butt over to Cool Clubs in Irvine and do a fitting. I have the G30 LS with the Tour shaft (9* set at 10* similar to yours) and while I'm hitting the driver better than I have in years, there is always the "is there anything better". I think getting fit would eliminate that and that alone would be worth the money (unless a better fit was going to cost me $$$$). Anyways thanks for the great write up.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

[quote name='brianv.graphics' timestamp='1429817589' post='11427075']
Loving all the images! Are you from the LBC? I see the Skylinks Towel!
[/quote]

Grew up in Bellflower and am currently a board member for the Men's Club at Skylinks.

Would you please do me a favor and edit your post to not include my entire WITB? It's very pic heavy and it really mucks up the thread when you have to scroll through the whole thing again just to get to the next post.

Thanks Brian!

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

[quote]

Grew up in Bellflower and am currently a board member for the Men's Club at Skylinks.

Would you please do me a favor and edit your post to not include my entire WITB? It's very pic heavy and it really mucks up the thread when you have to scroll through the whole thing again just to get to the next post.

Thanks Brian!
[/quote]

Got it! Hopefully I see you there! I play skylinks once a month.

[quote name='brianv.graphics' timestamp='1429823153' post='11427747']
[quote]

Thanks Brian!
[/quote]

Got it! Hopefully I see you there! I play skylinks once a month.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot!

We have Men's Club tournaments once a month. You should join!

We just put together a new website this year. Check it out and PM me if you have any questions.

[url="http://www.skylinksmensgolf.com/"]http://www.skylinksmensgolf.com/[/url]

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

[quote name='Davethegolfer' timestamp='1429877031' post='11431633']
Hi Mike - just interested in why you did not try the R15 430? I have put it in the bag and it is awesome.

Dave
[/quote]

I did try it... I actually own the driver. I've seen some pretty good on-course results with it, but it's not as user friendly as the G30. I do like the club, and am not giving up on it, but the G30 is still giving me great numbers while being quite a bit more forgiving.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

:read:

just killing some time waiting for updated pics, NBD ......

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1429883700' post='11432335']
[quote name='Davethegolfer' timestamp='1429877031' post='11431633']
Hi Mike - just interested in why you did not try the R15 430? I have put it in the bag and it is awesome.

Dave
[/quote]

I did try it... I actually own the driver. I've seen some pretty good on-course results with it, but it's not as user friendly as the G30. I do like the club, and am not giving up on it, but the G30 is still giving me great numbers while being quite a bit more forgiving.
[/quote]Oops - too many red wines on board whilst reading the thread!

• 2 weeks later...

The shaft is in, and the driver is built!

I ended up ordering through my club builder as he was quite a bit more affordable than Cool Clubs would have been. Everything was built to spec last night and I'll have it on course for the first time tomorrow morning.

Final build specs:

Ping G30 LS Tec - 9* Head Set at 10*

Graphite Design AD MJ 6X - Straight in, No Tipping

45.25" Length

D4 Swing Weight

Golf Pride NDMC Grip

I can't wait until tomorrow morning to see what this thing can do!

AD%20MJ.JPG

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

• 2 months later...

What did your club builder do to get the swing weight of the G30 to D4? How do you feel about the sound and feel?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='beluga99' timestamp='1437184739' post='11970116']
Hi MikeyTown - if you could spare a moment to update us on this thread that would be most appreciated! Some high quality pics also wouldn't go astray. Cheers
[/quote]

No real changes since I put the G30LS/AD MJ 6X in the bag. The TEE fairways and Mizuno wedges are wonderful. I'm playing J40 CB PW-5 iron on my old KBS tour shaft set. The putter spot is a bit of a rotation, but they are all fantastic!

I did recently take the MP-H4 4 iron out of the bag. My "full time job" swing just wasn't giving me the desired results in that club anymore. I picked up a new Cobra Bio Cell hybrid on the cheap, pulled the Steel Fiber shaft from my 4i and put it in the hybrid. Sure, I feel like an old man with 4 headcovers in the top end of the bag, but I'm able to step up to a 200 yard shot with a bit of confidence now, so it's a worthwhile tradeoff!

[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1437196762' post='11971030']
What did your club builder do to get the swing weight of the G30 to D4? How do you feel about the sound and feel?
[/quote]

Regarding the swing weight question... I have no idea. I just use them, I don't build them.

As for sound and feel. Well... It's loud... really loud. Not "square driver" loud, but loud. It feels like it's made of metal. So much of feel comes from the sound aspect of things that I feel that the description of sound [i]is [/i]the description of feel. So I guess it feels loud. LOL

The shaft feels superb. Nice and smooth, easy to load/unload properly, etc... Basically everything you want from a properly fitted shaft. The combo performs great and I don't see myself looking for a change anytime soon.

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

Oh... One more thing...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1211980-dh89-the-eraser-abides/"]A new Byron has been ordered.[/url]

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

I stumbled into your WITB from your new DH89 thread Mike. Absolutely stunning collection of putters. I'd never seen the 'Eraser' before, but have ogled over your Lajosi a few times ; )

The best WITB photography I've ever seen. Images are so crisp. I'd post a WITB, but you'd never be able to make out what the clubs were with my sub-standard photographic skills.

Cheers,

Mike.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1437769901' post='12014232']
Hi Mike!

I am particularly interested in your classic Anser putter. I have never seen something like that. Is that refurbished/restored?

Cheers!
[/quote]

Nope... It was brand new. You can still order the classic Ansers through a Ping dealer. This one happened to have the additions of a sound slot and tungsten weights by Ping WRX.

Would you please do me a favor and edit your original post to take out the quote of my post #1? When people do that, it posts all of the photos again and creates a lot of unnecessary scrolling. It really does muck up the thread and make it difficult to navigate.

Cheers,

Mike

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1437777064' post='12014834']
[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1437769901' post='12014232']
Hi Mike!

I am particularly interested in your classic Anser putter. I have never seen something like that. Is that refurbished/restored?

Cheers!
[/quote]

Nope... It was brand new. You can still order the classic Ansers through a Ping dealer. This one happened to have the additions of a sound slot and tungsten weights by Ping WRX.

Would you please do me a favor and edit your original post to take out the quote of my post #1? When people do that, it posts all of the photos again and creates a lot of unnecessary scrolling. It really does muck up the thread and make it difficult to navigate.

Cheers,

Mike
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the long quoted post. I have edited and took out the post.

• 1 month later...

Have you tried the new MP 5 or MP 4 compared to the 69s? Just curious b/c I had a set of the 68s then went to the MP 4s a few months ago and didn't try anything in between. I'm thinking MP 5 next but I've heard great things about the 69 so was thinking of going that route.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1441693281' post='12279456']
Have you tried the new MP 5 or MP 4 compared to the 69s? Just curious b/c I had a set of the 68s then went to the MP 4s a few months ago and didn't try anything in between. I'm thinking MP 5 next but I've heard great things about the 69 so was thinking of going that route.
[/quote]

I haven't had a chance to hit the MP-5s, but I did spend some quality time with the MP-4s. From a playability perspective, they couldn't touch the MP-69s (for me). The 69s are simply the easiest to hit blade I've ever held in my hands. In my opinion, they didn't get the credit they deserved.

From a looks perspective, it's hard to beat the MP-4 or MP-5. They really are gorgeous irons.

That said, I currently have J40 CBs in the bag and don't see them coming out any time soon. I still have the MP-69 heads laying around, just in case I come across a cheap set of KBS Tour Stiffs and feel like a bit of a change.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The shaft is in, and the driver is built!

I ended up ordering through my club builder as he was quite a bit more affordable than Cool Clubs would have been. Everything was built to spec last night and I'll have it on course for the first time tomorrow morning.

Final build specs:

Ping G30 LS Tec - 9* Head Set at 10*

Graphite Design AD MJ 6X - Straight in, No Tipping

45.25" Length

D4 Swing Weight

Golf Pride NDMC Grip

I can't wait until tomorrow morning to see what this thing can do!

AD%20MJ.JPG

Are you still using Matt Pham? I've been trying to find him since the Fitting Studio closed. Where is he now?

Are you still using Matt Pham? I've been trying to find him since the Fitting Studio closed. Where is he now?

Sure am... He's the best!

He has a small shop set up in the garage. Doesn't have the flightscope anymore, but still provides a better build than anything I've found priced remotely close to him.

Feel free to PM if you need contact info.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, how about that... my 2,000th post.

May as well celebrate with new wedges!

Really excited for this setup. The 54.08M will be bent to effectively be a 56.10M. I know they have a 56.08M, but I wanted a little extra bounce, so this should be a nice solution. I might even write a nice little "+2" next to the loft/lie stamping in some sweet tour issue sharpie. ;)

KBS Tour White Wedge shafts will be installed in these bad boys over the next couple days!

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

DOH!

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”