2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

College scores

How much higher then usual scores?
So I read somewhere that college scores are higher then scores that the same player will shoot in junior/high school tournaments.

Is this because of the added pressure and tougher courses? About how much higher will scores be in college? For example, if I'm shooting around 75 at my local muni, which has about a course rating of 71 and a slope of 125, what scores would I be shooting in college golf at their courses under their conditions?

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished my freshman year in college playing golf and yes it more difficult than junior golf. I play golf in the "SEC" which is arguable the number one golf conference in division one golf along side "The Pac 10"........and yes i know at NCAA the top 3 teams were all PAC 10 teams but SEC had 11 out of 12 team make it to NCAA Regionals, as a whole i feel SEC is stronger every team is ranked in the top 50......but that is besides the point i just know how people are on this site and if i say one comment i will have a million people lashing out, "SEC is not the strogest" what ever, SORRY BOUT THAT LONG MONOLOGUE.....back to the point i played a tone of junior golf before college......Full schedule of AJGA's since i was in 9th grade and every big tourny u can play in......from my experience outside of the AJGA Invitationals (Polo, Rolex, Footjoy, HP, Thunderbird) and US Junior college golf is at least 3 shot harder.....meaning you take a junior golfer that is fairly experienced and has played several AJGA Open events and FCWT he would shoot about 3 to 4 shots higher.....and I would not say it is because of nerves i would say because the courses are longer and they actually have tough pin placements...... not like junior golf throw the flag in the middle of every green......shooting 75 in college is like shooting 72 in a FCWT thats what i would say.....and that is a regular season college tournament not post season (Conference Championship or NCAA)......

Your tournament scores will be a few strokes higher than your normal round scores in general. And your freshman year scores will be even higher just from you putting more pressure on yourself:p.

Same as tournament vs normal play, just the pressure and such brings your scores up in general.

I disagree with tournament scores being higher than just going out and playing. I always scored better in tournaments because I actually read the greens and go through my routine every shot. But shooting 75 at your local muni wont even put you in a spot to have a chance to play college golf. I dont know what junior tours you play but high school golf tournaments wont be setup like a college tournament. I would imagine you would have a hard time breaking 80 consistently if you shoot 75 at a local muni rated 71.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I love these posts.......people get so into them......"Dizzub" you dont need to be such a ***** and tell some kid and i quote "that he wont ever have a chance to play college golf", and from what i saw he never said anything about him wanting to play college golf, he just wanted to know what he would shoot in a college tournament. and yes i will agree shooting 75 on a local muni course will not cut it at college golf....but who are you tell someone if they can or cant play golf, he could be a 8th or 9th grader and in the next 3 to 4 years works really hard and could play golf in college......"oneil003" dont get discouraged man just keep playing u never know what can happen.......and for the record anyone who says i play better in tournaments than i do when i just go out and play regularly is crazy....it is a fact that people are more nervous which makes it more difficult. and if ur going out to play a round of golf why would not read the greens and go through your routine????? Go play the US Am or NCAA tell me your not nervous and that you would play better in the tournament than if you were just playing there regularly........ i find that a very dumb coment

I love these posts.......people get so into them......"Dizzub" you dont need to be such a ***** and tell some kid and i quote "that he wont ever have a chance to play college golf", and from what i saw he never said anything about him wanting to play college golf, he just wanted to know what he would shoot in a college tournament. and yes i will agree shooting 75 on a local muni course will not cut it at college golf....but who are you tell someone if they can or cant play golf, he could be a 8th or 9th grader and in the next 3 to 4 years works really hard and could play golf in college......"oneil003" dont get discouraged man just keep playing u never know what can happen.......and for the record anyone who says i play better in tournaments than i do when i just go out and play regularly is crazy....it is a fact that people are more nervous which makes it more difficult. and if ur going out to play a round of golf why would not read the greens and go through your routine????? Go play the US Am or NCAA tell me your not nervous and that you would play better in the tournament than if you were just playing there regularly........ i find that a very dumb coment

I generally agree with you about people play better for fun than they do for torunaments, but one of my best friend growing up tended to play better in tournaments just because he wasn't being distracted by me or our other friends. He was good enough to play in a US Am, have several top 10 AJGA finishes and play for UNC, so it wasn't like he was shooting 80 with us and 77 in tournaments.

I'm just being real with him, I dont know how old he is or if he wants to play college golf. I didnt say he will "never have a chance to pay college golf", I said that shooting 75 on a muni wont warrant the level you need to be to play college golf. I've played a lot of tournament golf and to be completely honest I dont really care what you think is a dumb comment. To me, tournament golf is more fun... a lot of times I just go through the motion when I'm out there playing for nothing. Every tournament I play in I'm nervous on the first tee, from there on I dont feel any nerves. I cant control what anyone else does out there I'm just playing for a score. And yes I've played in the US Am...and was I nervous on the first tee? Yes, absolutely but after driving it in the left rough every day on the first hole I just went about my round as normal. Also I'm telling you that I play better in tournaments than I do just going out and playing with absolutely nothing on the line.

In no way should he take my comment as he has no chance to play college golf. I just think he should know that the courses that D1 golfers play are set up difficult and that shooting 75 on a muni isnt good enough. And the only one thats getting into these posts is you.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

I generally agree with you about people play better for fun than they do for torunaments, but one of my best friend growing up tended to play better in tournaments just because he wasn't being distracted by me or our other friends. He was good enough to play in a US Am, have several top 10 AJGA finishes and play for UNC, so it wasn't like he was shooting 80 with us and 77 in tournaments.

Thats exactly my point, when I'm not golfing in a tournament I'm out having a good time with my friends that dont play as much golf. I'm not out there grinding out every 4 footer, reading every angle of a 20 foot birdie putt that means beating my buddy by 1 more than I would if I just slap it up by the hole and move onto the next. Basically you guys went out to play golf and enjoy yourselves, so shooting 72 for him could have been in the 60s if he was playing in tournaments where the score actually mattered.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Haha, well I've only been playing golf for about 1.5 years, and I'm going to be a senior next year in high school. Since I've started pretty late, I think it is out of the question playing D1, but hopefully I will find a good D3 or NAIA school I can play at.

And ppluvkorn, your a freshman in the SEC? Do you know Sam Chavez? He's a freshman at Arkansas, and was on the SEC All-Freshman team.

I agree. with the above poster. There is a place for players who shoot 75 in college, its D2 and D3 schools. There are plenty of spots a lower tier schools in these divisions shooting those scores. And to address the original question, the setup and length in college is the biggest factor in the scores going up. College courses are averaging close to tour lengths and most junior tournaments are played on 6200 yard courses.

Justin

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock

Go to Collegegolf.com It is PING's college golf guide website. they have a score converter which isnt too terrible at showing you what your scores will be as long as you are honest with the program. I'm not saying its perfect because it certainly isnt but its not a bad barometer to start with.

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

I know sam really well......how do u know him

I went to high school with him. I'm really good friends with him and his brother. I've played pretty much every single day with him since he has come back to California. Him and his brother were the ones that got me addicted to this game. Where do you go?

oneil003,

Tell Eduardo that Ryan wants to know if he's had any sweet tea...he'll understand.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. with the above poster. There is a place for players who shoot 75 in college, its D2 and D3 schools. There are plenty of spots a lower tier schools in these divisions shooting those scores. And to address the original question, the setup and length in college is the biggest factor in the scores going up. College courses are averaging close to tour lengths and most junior tournaments are played on 6200 yard courses.

Justin

Wow, uh I don't know of any junior tournaments that are set up to play 6200 yards... at least not in Arizona.

And honestly I think the scores go up a little in college because of pressure. The courses are not three to four strokes tougher, a couple hundred yards doesn't grant that many strokes extra. Pin placements... maybe - AJGA isn't lazy with pin placements.

You won't find college courses set up to tour lengths.... maybe a couple a year.

I'll just add this...

Meadow Club this year played not even 6700 yards and the winning score was three under....

Everyone out there who isn't "DI material" - don't be worried. There is no draft in golf - you can improve drastically by playing on a DII or DIII school... sometimes even more so than on a top team in DI. After college everyone is on the same playing field.

• 5 weeks later...

I play DIII golf and all i know is that in my first tourney i shot my worst round i had in a while. I played very scared and put way to much pressure on myself. You cant play golf like that, especially on the courses in college. My scores have slowly been getting better as i calm down and settle in but i think it will be awhile until i can just go out there and play my game. I feel like sh*t to because after all the work i put in during the summer it all fell apart during that first round.

To even attempt to walk on at my school (D1) you must have a combined total score for 14 rounds of golf of +3 or better. So basically you better be at least a scratch. I know someone that did it and he hit it right no the number. The courses you play are all pretty solid, and play at 7000 plus yards.

• 2 weeks later...
Haha, well I've only been playing golf for about 1.5 years, and I'm going to be a senior next year in high school. Since I've started pretty late, I think it is out of the question playing D1, but hopefully I will find a good D3 or NAIA school I can play at.

And ppluvkorn, your a freshman in the SEC? Do you know Sam Chavez? He's a freshman at Arkansas, and was on the SEC All-Freshman team.

I know sam really well......how do u know him

I play for Arkansas and I'm with Sam every day

• 4 weeks later...

I played four years of D1 College golf and I can attest to the fact many college tournament courses are set up very difficult. I don't think greenskeepers like having college kids come in firing 65's. They grow the rough, roll the greens, tuck the pins and move the tees back for the tournaments. I played against some guys that won tour events shortly ever they left college and their PGA tour average was 3 shots lower than college.

I played on an average D1 team but I had to shoot somewhere around 1 or 2 under par over 3 rounds to sniff the 5 man travel team for each tournament. I had followed college scores when I was in high school and thought I would dominate...I was wrong. :rolleyes: