Colorado WRX 2015

pseudoswede

[quote name='Kuz013' timestamp='1438620586' post='12070098']
Hey guys, any advice on a good course to play around the city, or preferably west side?
[/quote]

If you've never been out here, then Fossil Trace is probably what you want to play.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only got to play twice in Sweden since the weather was pretty horrible (60's, raining, and windy) during my vacation days. I hope I can get in at least one range session before my league tournament at Murphy Creek on Sunday.

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1438343373' post='12052916']
[quote name='Jay ZG' timestamp='1438192004' post='12042370']
[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1438132927' post='12038400']
Any west slope golfers? We've played Lakota, Redlands, Battlement Mesa, looking south of I 70, towards the end of September. Any course recommendations?
[/quote]

Roaring Fork Valley (Aspen) local here. The top courses in this area are all private (Aspen Glen, Roaring Fork Club, Maroon Creek Club).

As far as courses you can actually play:

-River Valley Ranch (Carbondale): Really fun track with a good layout, challenging but fair with great views of Mt. Sopris. Public.
-Ironbridge (Glenwood Springs): Worth it for the back nine, particularly holes 10-13. They are spectacular, you drive back about 10min into this little mini canyon and it is incredibly unique. The front is just ok, you play through a subdivision and some of the holes are a bit weird.
-Snowmass Club: Links style open layout and semi-private. Awesome views of Mt. Daly, Snowmass ski area and surrounding mountains, well taken care of, highly recommend. I think tee times are limited but I believe you can get on without a member, especially in late Sept.
[/quote]

Thanks, I was looking more at The Bridges, Devil's Thumb, Dalton Ranch, area.
[/quote]

Not nearly as familiar with that area's golf courses but I do know that Devil's Thumb is supposed to be awesome. Everyone I know who has played there loves it.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1438631954' post='12071292'][quote name='Kuz013' timestamp='1438620586' post='12070098']
Hey guys, any advice on a good course to play around the city, or preferably west side?
[/quote]

If you've never been out here, then Fossil Trace is probably what you want to play.[/quote]

Thanks. I realized after this was probably the wrong forum, and posted in the correct one, fossil trace was already on the list

TM R1 Blk NS Pro Regio MB
TM R11 TP Fujikura Speeder
Titleist 710 CB KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM 52.08 56.11 60.04
Bettinardi BB16 34"

[quote name='Jay ZG' timestamp='1438717952' post='12078108']
[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1438343373' post='12052916']
[quote name='Jay ZG' timestamp='1438192004' post='12042370']
[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1438132927' post='12038400']
Any west slope golfers? We've played Lakota, Redlands, Battlement Mesa, looking south of I 70, towards the end of September. Any course recommendations?
[/quote]

Roaring Fork Valley (Aspen) local here. The top courses in this area are all private (Aspen Glen, Roaring Fork Club, Maroon Creek Club).

As far as courses you can actually play:

-River Valley Ranch (Carbondale): Really fun track with a good layout, challenging but fair with great views of Mt. Sopris. Public.
-Ironbridge (Glenwood Springs): Worth it for the back nine, particularly holes 10-13. They are spectacular, you drive back about 10min into this little mini canyon and it is incredibly unique. The front is just ok, you play through a subdivision and some of the holes are a bit weird.
-Snowmass Club: Links style open layout and semi-private. Awesome views of Mt. Daly, Snowmass ski area and surrounding mountains, well taken care of, highly recommend. I think tee times are limited but I believe you can get on without a member, especially in late Sept.
[/quote]

Thanks, I was looking more at The Bridges, Devil's Thumb, Dalton Ranch, area.
[/quote]

Not nearly as familiar with that area's golf courses but I do know that Devil's Thumb is supposed to be awesome. Everyone I know who has played there loves it.
[/quote]

Devils Thumb is awesome! Well worth the trip. I usually try to play it once a year. I would say it is easily in the top 10 in the state public or private.

The Bridges is a nice course, pretty flat though. Played there when it was Bridges at Black Canyon. The name is really miss leading too, as I don't remember there being a view of the canyon. The only time I've played it, the course was struggling financially. So the course wasn't in the best of shape you could say. The good thing was they were keeping the greens going and mainly just mowing the rest of the course accordingly.

Never played Dalton Ranch, Divide Ranch, nor Telluride Golf Club. Please report back if you play any of those. Otherwise Devils Thumb and Redlands is worth the trip in itself. If you're looking for another course to play in Grand Junction is Adobe Creek. All 27 are tight driving holes, if I remember right.

Thanks, planning on Devils Thumb and Redlands. I've played Redlands twice, best of the Engh courses. Satellite photos of Devils Thumb are pretty awesome. Unfortunately, can't book a tee time until a week out, have hotel rooms lined up. Redlands also has tourneys going while we are there and thinks we should be able to go out before or after the groups. Looking forward to it, also going to St. George 3 days before Junction. Golf, and rooms, are so much cheaper there. Thinking of doing the Raven on the way out. Have done Breckenridge and Lakota, Raven seemed next unless someone has a better choice? Red Sky is just too many $$$$. We love golf.

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1438907395' post='12092870']
Thanks, planning on Devils Thumb and Redlands. I've played Redlands twice, best of the Engh courses. Satellite photos of Devils Thumb are pretty awesome. Unfortunately, can't book a tee time until a week out, have hotel rooms lined up. Redlands also has tourneys going while we are there and thinks we should be able to go out before or after the groups. Looking forward to it, also going to St. George 3 days before Junction. Golf, and rooms, are so much cheaper there. Thinking of doing the Raven on the way out. Have done Breckenridge and Lakota, Raven seemed next unless someone has a better choice? Red Sky is just too many $$$$. We love golf.
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about tee times at Devil's Thumb. I've always just showed up. I mainly would call ahead make sure there is no league or something. Otherwise it's usually wide open. I don't think I've played a round there that took over 3 hours. Once I was playing with my sister in law and we let a twosome play through and we finished in 2:45, lol.

I like Raven the most out of the Summit courses. I think mainly because of 8 and 9 lol. You have to hit driver off of 9 even though it is not the best of decisions.

I like Coral Canyon in St. George but you have to, have to play Wolf Creek in Mesquite. It is the best course in that area in my opinion. Have fun.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1438633239' post='12071460']
I hope I can get in at least one range session before my league tournament at Murphy Creek on Sunday.
[/quote]

Range never happened. For having not touched a golf club in three weeks, I guess I shouldn't be too down on myself with an 85. I was 2-over after 7, then the wheels came off with a triple on 9. We also played from the white tees, so I almost drove three greens. I think I played those three holes 2-over. Except for two holes, I was absolutely striping my driver down the middle with a nice draw, so I have that going for me.

One of the side games today was best ball net foursome. Our foursome came in first with a smooth 51. Everyone contributed, which is always nice.

Hyland Hills next Sunday.

I should also add that Murphy Creek's greens were crazy fast. My finest achievement yesterday was lagging a 40-foot uphill putt...20 feet past the hole. :D

Finally tamed South Suburban's greens. Shot 78 on Friday with 3 birdies and left 3 strokes out there too. Scores can always be lower, right?

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1439214300' post='12109480']
I should also add that Murphy Creek's greens were crazy fast. My finest achievement yesterday was lagging a 40-foot uphill putt...20 feet past the hole. :D
[/quote]

Great....I'm supposed to play there in about a week. My last two rounds I've averaged 40 putts because of terrible lag putting. Should be a blast....

If I can find the d-bag who screwed up the GPS markers on my golf GPS app, I will wrap my lob wedge around his neck.

I was cruising along at 3-over through 17. I put my drive (4-iron) on 18 down the middle of the fairway. I open up my golf GPS app, and it says 90yds to the front edge of the green. The pin is two paces off the front edge. I think, "Great, I'll take a full LW over the pin and spin it back a little." Instead, it plunks right into the creek. I take a double-bogey and a 77.

After the round, I go back into the golf GPS app, and that's when I noticed someone placed the "front green" GPS marker in front of the creek. Deep. Calm. Breaths. Such is life with a crowd-sourced app.

HylandHills18.png

On the bright side, the 77 was my best round in almost two years. I won low gross plus $120 in league winnings (one CTP, two skins, and some nassau money), and I also won my match play against a solid 8-capper 3&2.

Buffalo Run next Sunday.

My golf league has one spot left for Buffalo Run this Sunday (August 23). You would complete the field of 24 (two flights of 12). Tee times start at 8am.

http://www.frgclub.com/?q=node/62

I posted about Red Hawk Ridge in the other thread, and [url=http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1143823-south-denver-golf/page__st__270#entry12164424]that post[/url] has more details on what your guest fee money includes.

Would need to know by early afternoon. Send an e-mail to the address at the bottom right corner of the FRGC website. But if you have any other questions, shoot me a PM.

I'd love to play but my wife and I are playing in the Couples CC on the 23rd. From what I remember, I liked Buffalo Run.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

[quote name='masamitsu' timestamp='1439993755' post='12168832']
I'd love to play but my wife and I are playing in the Couples CC on the 23rd. From what I remember, I liked Buffalo Run.
[/quote]

From what I was told, Buffalo Run has been in awful shape the past few years. Hit hard by some vegetation blight/virus. It's finally in decent shape again.

I had to do a deep search on another forum to find the last time I played Buffalo Run: May 2008.

I played Buff Run about a month ago and it was in fine shape. Not as great as it was some years back, but definitely on its way back up and looking good again.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

If I can find the d-bag who screwed up the GPS markers on my golf GPS app, I will wrap my lob wedge around his neck.

I was cruising along at 3-over through 17. I put my drive (4-iron) on 18 down the middle of the fairway. I open up my golf GPS app, and it says 90yds to the front edge of the green. The pin is two paces off the front edge. I think, "Great, I'll take a full LW over the pin and spin it back a little." Instead, it plunks right into the creek. I take a double-bogey and a 77.

After the round, I go back into the golf GPS app, and that's when I noticed someone placed the "front green" GPS marker in front of the creek. Deep. Calm. Breaths. Such is life with a crowd-sourced app.

HylandHills18.png

On the bright side, the 77 was my best round in almost two years. I won low gross plus $120 in league winnings (one CTP, two skins, and some nassau money), and I also won my match play against a solid 8-capper 3&2.

Buffalo Run next Sunday.

I really can't stand that hole. But you should have checked the ground yardages in addition to the app just in case. I usually do that even though I use a laser since sometimes I get lazy on how I'm pointing at the pin and screw it up.

HylandHills18.png

I really can't stand that hole. But you should have checked the ground yardages in addition to the app just in case. I usually do that even though I use a laser since sometimes I get lazy on how I'm pointing at the pin and screw it up.

What's really cool with my golf GPS app is that I can long-press on the map to get instant yardage to that point. I really need to take advantage of that feature more often. In the future, I will long-press on the screen where the pin is roughly located to double-check.

Buffalo Run is in fantastic shape. And the greens are OMGWTFBBQ fast. People in my league (most who also play at Club Corp courses) said these were the fastest greens they've played on all season.

I shot a craptacular 88 with 40 putts. Last week, I was averaging 295 with my driver off the tee; yesterday, I was averaging 260. No idea why except that I could feel something was off. It sucked.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1440435259' post='12199320']
Buffalo Run is in fantastic shape. And the greens are OMGWTFBBQ fast. People in my league (most who also play at Club Corp courses) said these were the fastest greens they've played on all season.

I shot a craptacular 88 with 40 putts. Last week, I was averaging 295 with my driver off the tee; yesterday, I was averaging 260. No idea why except that I could feel something was off. It sucked.
[/quote]

The air must have been thick or something yesterday. My whole group was averaging 10-15 yards less on drives, it was strange. Maybe those fires are bringing in smoky air that is somehow thicker or more dense? I don't know, but I do know we all had lost some distance yesterday.

Also, I am thinking this is my lost season. or my season of reconstruction. I have never had so much doubt in my game as I do this season. I have been searching for something and may have recently figured it out, had one good round trying to incorporate it (shortening my swing) and since then have fallen right back down. Anyone else ever have this sort of golf season? Everything is a chore. Every round I am scrambling or grinding to make something happen. Kinda sucks but in the long run I guess, once I engrain the shorter backswing and more connected swing, it should make me a better player. But right now I really kinda just suck at golf and it's getting frustrating. Hopefully I can work on it in this last couple months of golf in CO and come out firing next season.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1440435259' post='12199320']

[/quote]

40 putts?! Ouch, that must have been a painful day!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1440437525' post='12199542']
40 putts?! Ouch, that must have been a painful day!
[/quote]

Putting has been one of my biggest weaknesses since I started playing regularly* again a few years ago.

* - regularly defined by me as at least playing 8 times a year.