Ucla golf

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can look up all the players and what scores they have shot by simply visiting the website. UCLA is a D1 school and a very popular place to go to college. You'll probably need to be a scratch player with tournament scores in the low 70's to have a good chance of being recruited. It looks like the majority of their players shoot under 75 on average. You're going to a very good school where you can hone your game and you are only 14 so there is plenty of time to improve your scores. Good luck!!

PING G430 LS 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60X
TaylorMade M5 15* // Project X LZ 6.5 
Titleist 915 3H // Diamana S+ 80X 
PING Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron Phantom X STR (or) Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='robbie91' timestamp='1438741043' post='12080498']You can look up all the players and what scores they have shot by simply visiting the website. UCLA is a D1 school and a very popular place to go to college. You'll probably need to be a scratch player with tournament scores in the low 70's to have a good chance of being recruited. It looks like the majority of their players shoot under 75 on average. You're going to a very good school where you can hone your game and you are only 14 so there is plenty of time to improve your scores. Good luck!![/quote] thank you

[quote name='robbie91' timestamp='1438741043' post='12080498']
You can look up all the players and what scores they have shot by simply visiting the website. UCLA is a D1 school and a very popular place to go to college. You'll probably need to be a scratch player with tournament scores in the low 70's to have a good chance of being recruited. It looks like the majority of their players shoot under 75 on average. You're going to a very good school where you can hone your game and you are only 14 so there is plenty of time to improve your scores. Good luck!!
[/quote]

Thats not quite accurate from my experience with college golf. UCLA is a top tier D1 program and has their pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting. The types of players they get are nationally ranked top players who have played in US Junior ams, AJGA Opens with a lot of success etc.. They really do recruit the best of the best. They also recruit early so often have verbal commitments from soph and juniors in high school.
That is not to say you cannot get there but at 14 already you basically have to make HUGE strides in a very short time. I would say you need to get your scoring average to below par or at least very close to par in high ranked events such as the AJGA Opens, your state championships etc..
Now please don't let this discourage you I am just being honest, I would STRONGLY advise you to be open to other schools if you want to play college golf. It is no fun to go to a school and never see the courses or be a starter. Look at schools where you will get a good education, have a chance to be a starter and most importantly enjoy where you live.
There is a website called Ping Guide for college golf. Google it as it is a very good resource for what you are going thru as you start the recruiting process.
Good luck.

ps- a kid from my neck of the woods also dreamed of ucla as his best school, he turned down a nice scholarship to AZ to go there for a scholarships of books, I thought it was a big mistake. He ended up quitting the team, it was not a good decision for him golf wise, he really had no chance of playing there so he was unhappy. He could have been a #1 player at another school and probably had an amazing experience. Lesson is- don't put all your eggs in one basket.

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438797106' post='12083962'][quote name='robbie91' timestamp='1438741043' post='12080498']
[/quote]

Thats not quite accurate from my experience with college golf. UCLA is a top tier D1 program and has their pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting. The types of players they get are nationally ranked top players who have played in US Junior ams, AJGA Opens with a lot of success etc.. They really do recruit the best of the best. They also recruit early so often have verbal commitments from soph and juniors in high school.
That is not to say you cannot get there but at 14 already you basically have to make HUGE strides in a very short time. I would say you need to get your scoring average to below par or at least very close to par in high ranked events such as the AJGA Opens, your state championships etc..
Now please don't let this discourage you I am just being honest, I would STRONGLY advise you to be open to other schools if you want to play college golf. It is no fun to go to a school and never see the courses or be a starter. Look at schools where you will get a good education, have a chance to be a starter and most importantly enjoy where you live.
There is a website called Ping Guide for college golf. Google it as it is a very good resource for what you are going thru as you start the recruiting process.
Good luck.

ps- a kid from my neck of the woods also dreamed of ucla as his best school, he turned down a nice scholarship to AZ to go there for a scholarships of books, I thought it was a big mistake. He ended up quitting the team, it was not a good decision for him golf wise, he really had no chance of playing there so he was unhappy. He could have been a #1 player at another school and probably had an amazing experience. Lesson is- don't put all your eggs in one basket.[/quote]i am just going to try my hardest practice as hard as I can and enjoy the journey..... I know that I can drop 10 strokes at a time j just need to keep believing my self and again enjoy the journey my other schools are
Florida
Unc

Thanks

I wish you all the best, college golf is a special time, I enjoyed watching my son play for 4 years. Miss it a ton as the camaraderie was fantastic on our team amongst the players and parents. Just cast a wide net when looking at schools, you really might surprise yourself where you end up, lots of great choices out there.

I just want to second what agatha said because it's very true for good D1 schools (I learned this the hard way).

You need to play in national tournaments (AJGA, Jr. Am, US Open Qualifying, North & South Am, etc) and large state tournaments (State Am, Open, etc) on top of doing well in high school golf. You're looking at this early so hopefully that gives you an idea of where you need to get in the next year or two. Good luck!

[quote name='pu_golf88' timestamp='1438801356' post='12084360']I just want to second what agatha said because it's very true for good D1 schools (I learned this the hard way).

You need to play in national tournaments (AJGA, Jr. Am, US Open Qualifying, North & South Am, etc) and large state tournaments (State Am, Open, etc) on top of doing well in high school golf. You're looking at this early so hopefully that gives you an idea of where you need to get in the next year or two. Good luck![/quote]but I mean I have 4 years to do it and people can improve really fast all you need is one "click" or launching pad and your there

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438802213' post='12084452']
[quote name='pu_golf88' timestamp='1438801356' post='12084360']I just want to second what agatha said because it's very true for good D1 schools (I learned this the hard way).

You need to play in national tournaments (AJGA, Jr. Am, US Open Qualifying, North & South Am, etc) and large state tournaments (State Am, Open, etc) on top of doing well in high school golf. You're looking at this early so hopefully that gives you an idea of where you need to get in the next year or two. Good luck![/quote]but I mean I have 4 years to do it and people can improve really fast all you need is one "click" or launching pad and your there
[/quote]

Noah, you are missing the message, you do not have 4 years. You have 2 at best if you want to go to a top tier D1 school. Golf is just like any other sport with recruiting. The players are committing to schools earlier and earlier and by the time you are a senior every one of those schools will have their spots filled probably for 2 years out. That is the reality. Trust me, trust pu-golf.. It is THAT competitive. That is why I suggest you cast a wide net. You need to realistic about where you can go and compete and play. If you are about to be a freshman, you need to be below scratch and playing national level events by the summer before junior year of high school if you want a sniff at those top schools.

Noah, here's the thing, college golf is a tremendous experience, but its very important you find a good fit. Getting caught up in one school or even 3 can be a huge let down and be very discouraging. If you are a mid 80's shooter currently what you are trying to accomplish is shaving off 15 strokes and become comfortable competition at the very highest level of junior golf in less than 2 years and I don't think that is super realistic for anyone. It's a lot different to be on the first tee at a big events with a gallery or college coaches watching and be able to play with that kind of pressure, than to play on your own or with friends.
I really suggest you spend some time on the ping guide for college golf, it really is a great resource for whats out there. I am not saying you can't I am just trying to paint a realistic picture for you so you understand how hard what you want to do is and quite frankly UCLA might not even be the best fit for you. Derek Freeman might not be the best coach for you.
Lots of factors play into making a college decision, location, the team, the coach, what you want to study, were you want to live. I understand you are just 14 and have bright eyes and aspirations and that's great, but I would be doing you a dis-servise if I told you it is easily attainable.
I feel an honest response is the best for you. Be great if you prove me wrong but I have been thru the whole process with my son as well as many friends and acquaintances and I have a very good grasp on what it takes to get where you want to go.

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438804586' post='12084692']Noah, here's the thing, college golf is a tremendous experience, but its very important you find a good fit. Getting caught up in one school or even 3 can be a huge let down and be very discouraging. If you are a mid 80's shooter currently what you are trying to accomplish is shaving off 15 strokes and become comfortable competition at the very highest level of junior golf in less than 2 years and I don't think that is super realistic for anyone. It's a lot different to be on the first tee at a big events with a gallery or college coaches watching and be able to play with that kind of pressure, than to play on your own or with friends.
I really suggest you spend some time on the ping guide for college golf, it really is a great resource for whats out there. I am not saying you can't I am just trying to paint a realistic picture for you so you understand how hard what you want to do is and quite frankly UCLA might not even be the best fit for you. Derek Freeman might not be the best coach for you.
Lots of factors play into making a college decision, location, the team, the coach, what you want to study, were you want to live. I understand you are just 14 and have bright eyes and aspirations and that's great, but I would be doing you a dis-servise if I told you it is easily attainable.
I feel an honest response is the best for you. Be great if you prove me wrong but I have been thru the whole process with my son as well as many friends and acquaintances and I have a very good grasp on what it takes to get where you want to go.[/quote]fine then what is "realistic" to you

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438805903' post='12084834'][quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438804586' post='12084692']Noah, here's the thing, college golf is a tremendous experience, but its very important you find a good fit. Getting caught up in one school or even 3 can be a huge let down and be very discouraging. If you are a mid 80's shooter currently what you are trying to accomplish is shaving off 15 strokes and become comfortable competition at the very highest level of junior golf in less than 2 years and I don't think that is super realistic for anyone. It's a lot different to be on the first tee at a big events with a gallery or college coaches watching and be able to play with that kind of pressure, than to play on your own or with friends.
I feel an honest response is the best for you. Be great if you prove me wrong but I have been thru the whole process with my son as well as many friends and acquaintances and I have a very good grasp on what it takes to get where you want to go.[/quote]fine then what is "realistic" to you[/quote]also ijga is great and they can help me acknmplish my goals

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438805903' post='12084834']
[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438804586' post='12084692']Noah, here's the thing, college golf is a tremendous experience, but its very important you find a good fit. Getting caught up in one school or even 3 can be a huge let down and be very discouraging. If you are a mid 80's shooter currently what you are trying to accomplish is shaving off 15 strokes and become comfortable competition at the very highest level of junior golf in less than 2 years and I don't think that is super realistic for anyone. It's a lot different to be on the first tee at a big events with a gallery or college coaches watching and be able to play with that kind of pressure, than to play on your own or with friends.
I feel an honest response is the best for you. Be great if you prove me wrong but I have been thru the whole process with my son as well as many friends and acquaintances and I have a very good grasp on what it takes to get where you want to go.[/quote]fine then what is "realistic" to you
[/quote]

Noah there is no need to be rude, I am giving you an honest answer to what it takes to make UCLA. If you cannot handle the truth than I am sorry. All I am trying to tell you is there are A LOT of colleges and golf programs to consider.

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438806952' post='12084922'][quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438805903' post='12084834']
[/quote]

Noah there is no need to be rude, I am giving you an honest answer to what it takes to make UCLA. If you cannot handle the truth than I am sorry. All I am trying to tell you is there are A LOT of colleges and golf programs to consider.[/quote]okay thank you for your honesty I am sorry if I came off ride those were not my intentions.
Noah

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438807112' post='12084932']
[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438806952' post='12084922'][quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438805903' post='12084834']
[/quote]

Noah there is no need to be rude, I am giving you an honest answer to what it takes to make UCLA. If you cannot handle the truth than I am sorry. All I am trying to tell you is there are A LOT of colleges and golf programs to consider.[/quote]okay thank you for your honesty I am sorry if I came off ride those were not my intentions.
Noah
[/quote]

Thank you, and I do hope you achieve your dream, I just want you to know there might be a way better option for you out there that you don't even realize yet. Your IJGT coaches, hopefully, ought to be able to help assess your game and academic fit and guide you in the right direction when it comes to college.

Agatha knows of what she speaks. I have a daughter that starts her college career in three weeks at a low level D1 school. During the recruiting process we focused on schools that would fit her skill level and most importantly provide a fantastic education. She had a number of choices when the time to commit rolled around, and chose a strong academic opportunity. She received a generous scholarship. She will likely be the second best player on her team as a freshman, and I will be surprised if she doesn't play every event.

On the other hand she has a couple friends that had better junior careers than she did. Not stellar, but better. They set their sights on much higher level programs, and they came away disappointed. They still ended up at schools where they will have to play their butts off just to get on the golf course, and their scholarships were much smaller.

Be realistic, and think education first. Make sure you have as many options as you can get. Playing is fun. Battling and battling to just get on the golf course can be very difficult. We know a young lady several years older than my daughter who plays in a big time program. It has been very difficult for her.

And the competition is much greater for men.

All that said, it great to have goals. Keep working hard.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1438814881' post='12085592']Agatha knows of what she speaks. I have a daughter that starts her college career in three weeks at a low level D1 school. During the recruiting process we focused on schools that would fit her skill level and most importantly provide a fantastic education. She had a number of choices when the time to commit rolled around, and chose a strong academic opportunity. She received a generous scholarship. She will likely be the second best player on her team as a freshman, and I will be surprised if she doesn't play every event.

On the other hand she has a couple friends that had better junior careers than she did. Not stellar, but better. They set their sights on much higher level programs, and they came away disappointed. They still ended up at schools where they will have to play their butts off just to get on the golf course, and their scholarships were much smaller.

Be realistic, and think education first. Make sure you have as many options as you can get. Playing is fun. Battling and battling to just get on the golf course can be very difficult. We know a young lady several years older than my daughter who plays in a big time program. It has been very difficult for her.

All that said, it great to have goals. Keep working hard.[/quote]out of curiousity do you and everyone else think or are trying to say nicely that I don't not or have an extremely slim chance of playing at ucla or UNC and Florida..... I work very hard and ijga is great

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438816766' post='12085774']
[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1438814881' post='12085592']Agatha knows of what she speaks. I have a daughter that starts her college career in three weeks at a low level D1 school. During the recruiting process we focused on schools that would fit her skill level and most importantly provide a fantastic education. She had a number of choices when the time to commit rolled around, and chose a strong academic opportunity. She received a generous scholarship. She will likely be the second best player on her team as a freshman, and I will be surprised if she doesn't play every event.

All that said, it great to have goals. Keep working hard.[/quote]out of curiousity do you and everyone else think or are trying to say nicely that I don't not or have an extremely slim chance of playing at ucla or UNC and Florida..... I work very hard and ijga is great
[/quote]

I guess in a way yes, it would be extremely slim. I think we all want to see kids succeed and when you started this thread you asked for answers, they may not be what you want to hear, but I as I said before it would be doing you a dis-service to lead you on and say, sure go for it, you have a great chance, because its really not something that is likely attainable for 99.9% of the population for where you are at, your age and what you are trying to accomplish. We hope for the best for you, but don't want to set you up for failure or disappointment.. Make sense?

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438817147' post='12085816'][quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438816766' post='12085774']

[/quote]

I guess in a way yes, it would be extremely slim. I think we all want to see kids succeed and when you started this thread you asked for answers, they may not be what you want to hear, but I as I said before it would be doing you a dis-service to lead you on and say, sure go for it, you have a great chance, because its really not something that is likely attainable for 99.9% of the population for where you are at, your age and what you are trying to accomplish. We hope for the best for you, but don't want to set you up for failure or disappointment.. Make sense?[/quote]what schools are reasonable

Well my gut feeling without meeting you but knowing what you shared in the WITB thread my first thoughts are to look for a smaller school with small class size and lots of personal interaction with the teachers, either a small private NAIA school or possibly a D3 might be the perfect fit. There are many levels of college golf, the NCAA has D1 D2 and D3 and then the NAIA also has D1 and D2. It sounds very much like you really want to be on a team so thats why we would encourage you to look at a school that you could go to and play from the get go. There is nothing wrong with playing at a level where you can contribute. Shoot Nathan Smith who is one of the best amateurs in the country went to a D3 school. Its about the experience, the travel the playing tournaments and bonding with your teammates. The correct academic fit is also key, golf misses an unbelievable amount of class time and to be able to stay on top of academics and play on the golf team is not easy. Don't let anyone kid you about that. A smaller school with more personal teachers can be helpful in that regard.
Go to that website I told you about, Ping Guide for college golf. It lists all the schools, it shows what the players are shooting, it has lots of resources for what you want to find out. Ask your parents to take you to different college campuses to get a feel for what you want, small, big, urban, rural.. Those things do matter. Anyway, don't be discouraged that's none of our intent, just want to guide you in the right direction..

If you look at UCLA's roster it is all players from California and one from Hawaii. The talent pool is so deep in California they have no reason to spend time and money recruiting out of the area. Also they can practice and play year around while you have only 6-7 months in New York. The same thing applies to Florida.

[quote name='mjbfyb' timestamp='1438821648' post='12086274']If you look at UCLA's roster it is all players from California and one from Hawaii. The talent pool is so deep in California they have no reason to spend time and money recruiting out of the area. Also they can practice and play year around while you have only 6-7 months in New York. The same thing applies to Florida.[/quote]it doesn't mean that I can't if I work hard at my academy everyday I will have a chance

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438820300' post='12086144']Well my gut feeling without meeting you but knowing what you shared in the WITB thread my first thoughts are to look for a smaller school with small class size and lots of personal interaction with the teachers, either a small private NAIA school or possibly a D3 might be the perfect fit. There are many levels of college golf, the NCAA has D1 D2 and D3 and then the NAIA also has D1 and D2. It sounds very much like you really want to be on a team so thats why we would encourage you to look at a school that you could go to and play from the get go. There is nothing wrong with playing at a level where you can contribute. Shoot Nathan Smith who is one of the best amateurs in the country went to a D3 school. Its about the experience, the travel the playing tournaments and bonding with your teammates. The correct academic fit is also key, golf misses an unbelievable amount of class time and to be able to stay on top of academics and play on the golf team is not easy. Don't let anyone kid you about that. A smaller school with more personal teachers can be helpful in that regard.
Go to that website I told you about, Ping Guide for college golf. It lists all the schools, it shows what the players are shooting, it has lots of resources for what you want to find out. Ask your parents to take you to different college campuses to get a feel for what you want, small, big, urban, rural.. Those things do matter. Anyway, don't be discouraged that's none of our intent, just want to guide you in the right direction..[/quote]as much as I appreciate you reccomendation I know that I am better than that I have 4 years and I am shooting in the 80s of I work really hard and say shooting in the 70s next year with the great support system I feel as well as my parents coaches teachers etc... That with hard work And my work ethic anything is possible I had autism couldn't talk until I was four and schools wouldn't accept me but I worked my butt off every day staying after school studying and working myself and last year I won a presidential academic achievement award for having a 95 average and being on high honor roll as the top percent in my class..... Everyone said I couldn't do it but for the people who believed in me were able to make that happen...... I know that is not what you are trying to do but it definitely comes across as negative energy.... My dad has connections with ucla and can at least get me a try out the rest is all about how hard I work..... I will be spending every day in the next year In a prestigious academy with 5 hours of practice a day with great facilities coaches and college counselers as well as an amazing mental coach....... I will work so hard it is not even funny..... I can't promise I will go to ucla but i will promise that I will be very successful...... I have learned so much in golf one being that you cannot believe every negative thing one says again not saying that is what your trying to do but you don't know how hard I work..... Thank you
Noah Levine

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438820300' post='12086144']Well my gut feeling without meeting you but knowing what you shared in the WITB thread my first thoughts are to look for a smaller school with small class size and lots of personal interaction with the teachers, either a small private NAIA school or possibly a D3 might be the perfect fit. There are many levels of college golf, the NCAA has D1 D2 and D3 and then the NAIA also has D1 and D2. It sounds very much like you really want to be on a team so thats why we would encourage you to look at a school that you could go to and play from the get go. There is nothing wrong with playing at a level where you can contribute. Shoot Nathan Smith who is one of the best amateurs in the country went to a D3 school. Its about the experience, the travel the playing tournaments and bonding with your teammates. The correct academic fit is also key, golf misses an unbelievable amount of class time and to be able to stay on top of academics and play on the golf team is not easy. Don't let anyone kid you about that. A smaller school with more personal teachers can be helpful in that regard.
Go to that website I told you about, Ping Guide for college golf. It lists all the schools, it shows what the players are shooting, it has lots of resources for what you want to find out. Ask your parents to take you to different college campuses to get a feel for what you want, small, big, urban, rural.. Those things do matter. Anyway, don't be discouraged that's none of our intent, just want to guide you in the right direction..[/quote]and thank you for being so active in this thread

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438827604' post='12086940']
Go to that website I told you about, Ping Guide for college golf. It lists all the schools, it shows what the players are shooting, it has lots of resources for what you want to find out. Ask your parents to take you to different college campuses to get a feel for what you want, small, big, urban, rural.. Those things do matter. Anyway, don't be discouraged that's none of our intent, just want to guide you in the right direction..[/quote]as much as I appreciate you reccomendation I know that I am better than that I have 4 years and I am shooting in the 80s of I work really hard and say shooting in the 70s next year with the great support system I feel as well as my parents coaches teachers etc... That with hard work And my work ethic anything is possible I had autism couldn't talk until I was four and schools wouldn't accept me but I worked my butt off every day staying after school studying and working myself and last year I won a presidential academic achievement award for having a 95 average and being on high honor roll as the top percent in my class..... Everyone said I couldn't do it but for the people who believed in me were able to make that happen...... I know that is not what you are trying to do but it definitely comes across as negative energy.... My dad has connections with ucla and can at least get me a try out the rest is all about how hard I work..... I will be spending every day in the next year In a prestigious academy with 5 hours of practice a day with great facilities coaches and college counselers as well as an amazing mental coach....... I will work so hard it is not even funny..... I can't promise I will go to ucla but i will promise that I will be very successful...... I have learned so much in golf one being that you cannot believe every negative thing one says again not saying that is what your trying to do but you don't know how hard I work..... Thank you
Noah Levine
[/quote]

Not ever meaning to be negative at all, sorry you took it that way, just being honest and you started the thread asking for answers, I gave you a very honest answer. If you don't want to hear things other than cheerleading, please don't ask for input from people with experience who understand college golf.

There is a member on here named Deerslayer who's son signed a letter to Oklahoma state(Ricky fowler, hunter mayhan, etc) when he was your age. He was winning jr events and blowing away fields shooting low 60's at your age. Notshoiting ou down, but listen to what the people are saying in your thread. Aim high but be realistic. You might be able to shave off 10 strokes in 2 years, but what about the kids your age who are already there? You shave of 15 and they shave off 3, where ate they going?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Another thing about UCLA is that it is one of the hardest and best schools in the nation. Don't let golf get in the way of your education. You could be the best golfer in the nation but if you can't handle the course work it won't matter. My high school buddy was a starting pitcher for one of the best college baseball teams in the nation. He started a game at the college World Series as a freshman. He didn't get past his sophomore year because he didn't go to class.

The best junior player from my area won every state tournament he entered. He was breaking 70 routinely when he was 12 from the men's tees. I played many rounds with him when I was in high school and he was 12-14. I don't ever remember him shooting in the 80's. He went to a Missouri Valley school. Not bad, but no where close to the likes of UCLA and UF.

This is what a UCLA recruit looks like..
http://golfweek.com/news/2015/jan/12/college-golf-recruiting-boys-2016-ucla-soosman/

He WON the AJGA Polo invitational.. I don't know if you even have any idea what that means but not only is it extremely hard to get into even an AJGA open which is a step below the invitationals.. He is class of 2016 and this was announced in Jan of 2015 of his junior year of high school and he is one of 2 recruits.. within months I bet the sophomores that will be at UCLA will be committing as well.
We all know what we are talking about.