Ping S59 Tour

The S59 irons combine tradition and technology to provide you with a high-performing blade in your choice of two finishes. The new S59 Tour model (above) has a brushed/polished finish with a ferrule for a classic look, while the standard S59 model has a blasted/brushed finish and no ferrule.

The S59 features a bar across the cavity which produces a solid feel and distance control. The center of gravity, which is closer to the face, creates a penetrating trajectory. A thin top line and cambered sole ensure confidence and easy alignment, and the small cavity adds forgiveness on mishits.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested several sets of irons yesterday.MP32's, MP60's, Taylormade LT2's and the Pings.I came away very surprised.The S59's are going to be in my bag this spring.Very forgiving,Great feel and distance with a boring trajectory.Pictures don't do these irons justice at all.Not as downright beautiful as the Mizunos but a very good looking iron to say the least.

One of the most solid irons I have ever hit!!!! There is nothing I dislike about this club.

Cobra LTD X LS 9.0 Fuji Atmos Black 6S

Cobra King LTD 14.5 Rogue Black 70S

Callaway Big Bertha II 5 wood RCH Firm

Taylormade 3 iron UDI Kuro Kage Black

Mizuno 921HM 5-GW 950GH Neo

Mizuno 923HM SW 

Mizuno 900HM Lw KBS C Taper Lite S

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Two

• 3 weeks later...

Solid irons! Played them most of last year & the only thing i can fault (just a little) is lacking the forged iron feel.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5*, Tour 65[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 14.5* fairway [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 17*, 20* Hybrids[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 4-SW, CFS [/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Mack Daddy PM grind 58*[/size][/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Ping CTR Tomcat C heavy 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Can anyone do a comparison between the s59 and the s58? Just looking at the Ping website a lot of their staffers are still playing the s59 and I was wondering if there was a reason. The s59's are certainly available now at much lower prices than the s58's or i5's.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I might sound nuts, but the s59 feels better to me than the 58. I am going to get the s59's over the 58's. It would not matter to me if the 59's were more expensive. I can't hit a bad shot with them. I agree with the previous post that says you can feel it if you get out on the toe, but you don't get punished like you would with other player's irons when you do. I have J33 CB's, and while they are great clubs, you will pay for toe hits.

I am getting the 59's. I still can't believe how forgiving and good-feeling they are.

Noelsy

• 6 months later...

These are the best of both worlds. They look like an iron should and have some forgiveness built in. You can work the ball or swing away. I have been a Ping fan for a long time but have other sets I play also. My favorite set of all time would have to be the Taylor Made Tour Preferred irons of the late eighties, a cast club that feels similar to a forged iron but looks like a players blade.

As far as the S59 goes it plays a bit longer than most 'blade' irons I have hit. I hit it high and can knock it down when needed. If you like the look of a blade but need something easy to hit this is the one.

TEE EXS 9.5 Accra XC75
TEE CBX 15 UST/Mamiya Attas T2
TEE CBX 19 UST/Mamiya VTS
Ping i500. UST/Mamiya Recoil
Ping Glide Forged 54. UST/Mamiya Recoil
Ping Glide Forged 58. UST/Mamiya Recoil
ACME Tool General

• 7 months later...

I just bought mine, used...what a steal.

You can still buy them new for 800, and yes, they are worth that. I just got lucky and found a set in good shape that were used a couple years.

I played I-3 blades for a long time, but wanted a new set of irons with more feel, more ability to shape shots, and less bounce. The S59's were the answer to my prayer. I did not think I would ever give up my I-3 set, but the way the S59 feels and the way the ball flies, convinced me.

I hit them longer than the I-3's and more accurately across the board. When I hit a draw, it draws, when I hit a fade, it fades. I get more confident with them every time I go out now.

• 1 year later...

Not the prettiest irons but solid and reliable. Everytime I tried to buy new clubs I'd always keep the s59 and when the honeymoon was over with the new clubs I'd sell them and go back to the S59s.

Easy to hit blade, not clunky at address and it's a good transition club from CB's to true blades. Shafted with the lighter zz65 stiff shaft it will allow for higher club head speed and launch the ball slight higher than the TT DG S300.

I've also hit the s58, s57 and s56 and the difference is minimal other than the added tungsten weight at the toe to provide a bit more forgiveness.

[size=3][b]Bettinardi BEBG-1501 Staff Bag (Riding 14 Clubs)[/b][/size]
[color=#000000][size=3]TRPX S-013 1W 9.5 [/size][/color][size=3][color=#000000]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]RomaRo Ray Type-R 5W+ 17 & UT 19[/size][/color][size=3][color=#000000] | United SBB1 Tour 3-PW & SBW2 53/57 | Bettinardi Queen Bee #6[/color]

[b]Honma CB-3202 Stand Bag (Walking 12 Clubs)[/b]
[color=#000000]Baldo 8C Craft Brassy 2W 13 | George Spirit GTFW 5W 18 | Honma TW-U 21 & TW717M 4-PW | Romaro Alcobaca Stream Tour 58 | Bettinardi BB35[/color][/size]

• 1 year later...

I just recently bought a set of s59's.. now in 2012 they are considered "classics" but i love them. Before this set i had titleist forged 670, 690, 710mb, taylormade mb, mc, KZG III, ben hogan apex, honmas, miuras, and most recently mizuno mp 69s... so i know a good feeling club.. and i've stuck with s59 because i've had the best results with them. If i were to judge on look, i wouldnt have gotten the s59, but i was excited at how easily i was able to shape shots and control my trajectory.I have my s59s shafted with true temper black gold stiff shafts.. The feeling of a pured shot can resemble one from a honma or miura forged club.. no joke.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have owned most Ping models, the Eye 2's, Zings, I5's, I10's, I20 and I25, the S59, S56,and S55.
Of all these I've found the S59 my favourites. Almost no offset, boring flight and sit just right for me behind the ball. Plan to get these refurbished at Ping and keep playing them. I've also had my share of forged and don't feel they hit any smoother than the S59. Generally looked prettier but don't (for me) play any better. Nothing harder wearing than the earlier Pings either.
I have ZZ65 in mine 2-pw. I played off +2 to 1 for 30 years+. Sometimes a club just feels right. These are one of those.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Im a high handicap ( tee troubles and putting) irons and wedges are my strong suit... Any reason these may not be a good choice... posts have mentioned they have a low penetrating shot type... Is that a shaft change remedy?... 

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

They have small heads and I believe the soles are low bounce. The lofts are also quite retro now. Not an obvious choice for a high handicapper - if you're looking for classic Pings which are more modern than your Eye 2s then almost all models out there will be a better fit than the S series - pretty much any G and most i iterations.

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.