Ucla golf

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438717776' post='12078072']
What do you need to be shooting to get in? What tournaments? I am 14 going to the IJGA academy and shoot in the mid 80 s but my big goal is to play golf for ucla!!!! [color=#ff0000]Any comments are appreciated[/color]
Thanks
[/quote]

Look at your post, this is what YOU asked for, if you just want people to give you compliments and delusions outside of reality then just don't ask. I understand you are only 14 but we would not be doing you any favors by not being honest.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438831328' post='12087296']
Why are you guys doing this too me are you trying to ruin my dreams I have been working toward this since the 4th grade I already have dropped 20 strokes and I am not going to give up I only want positive feedback please
Thank you
For all of the comments
Noah Levine
[/quote]

Welcome to real life. Everyone can't get everything they want. Hopefully in 4 years you can come back here and have proved us wrong.

I played there with Pavin, Pate, Pernice, Waldorf, Delsing, and 9 other guys that played professionally.

1 year a player on the 3rd team qualified and nearly made the cut in the 1981 L.A. Open.

I should have gone to Long Beach 1 year with O'Meara for a lot of playing time.

The coach was way better although not prominent at Long Beach State.

Mickey Yokoi, most talented Bruin, never made it to the tour.

Go anywhere else but UCLA unless you're a plus 3.

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438831544' post='12087318'][quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438717776' post='12078072']
What do you need to be shooting to get in? What tournaments? I am 14 going to the IJGA academy and shoot in the mid 80 s but my big goal is to play golf for ucla!!!! [color=#ff0000]Any comments are appreciated[/color]
Thanks
[/quote]

Look at your post, this is what YOU asked for, if you just want people to give you compliments and delusions outside of reality then just don't ask. I understand you are only 14 but we would not be doing you any favors by not being honest.[/quote]. Yeah I wanted info on how to get there not comments on why I can't do it

GUYS WHO SAYS I CANT PLAY AT UCLA!!!!! lol I am going to work my butt off and will enjoy the journey haha

[quote name='mjbfyb' timestamp='1438833695' post='12087486']Life has funny way of working out even though it might not seem the way you envisioned or want it to be. All you can do is wake up and try your best at everything you do. If you do that, I can guarantee everything will work out for the best.[/quote] thanks but I think I still can make the team I have 2 to 4 years

[quote name='mjbfyb' timestamp='1438833695' post='12087486']Life has funny way of working out even though it might not seem the way you envisioned or want it to be. All you can do is wake up and try your best at everything you do. If you do that, I can guarantee everything will work out for the best.[/quote]but thanks for the advice I love it

No one is busting on you, it's good to chase your dreams man! Please don't read in to the responses as people trying to shoot you down, it's just a mature outlook on the situation.

I kind of look at it like this, and maybe you've seen some similar threads on here covering the topic. I'll give you a scenario, this isn't what I think, but just roll along with me for a minute dude.

I just turned 33, started golf at 10, stopped at 15-16. Picked it up again at the age of 27, was shooting in the mid 80's. Worked my butt off, and within 1year, I shot par. Another 2 and I was breaking par. So that's about 10-12 strokes in 3 years. So let's start at the point in time where I first broke par.

What if I said "I broke par, I've shaved 12 strokes off in 3 years, I want to play on the Pga tour." I would get flamed big time! So let's equte the Pga tour(top of professional golf) with a d1 school (top of collegiate golf). A bit of a stretch in scenarios, but maybe you get what I'm going for here. Pga would be so far out of reach that it would be a pipe dream, not saying that UCLA is a pipe dream for you, but you've got to think that they already have kids your age on their radar, kids who are winning at the national level. So it'd be like me shooting 80 and saying "3 years, I'll get on tour!!!" Meanwhile theres guys 9 years younger than me shooting 62 on web.com tour, know what I mean?
Now it might not have been as much of a stretch if I said " I'm gonna play on the Pepsi tour in 2 years(small college)."

Get a solid education and a rad job and then play way more golf when you retire at 35 with 200 million in the bank haha

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Also don't overlook that just because you have good grades and killer scores, you have a spot.

A good buddy of mine who posts on here has won tournaments at the jr level, and been very competitive in many others,has been trying to walk on to the U of a team for a few years now. He has very good grades and actually beats many of their players in am events, so it can be very frustrating that he can't even get a tryout

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1438834240' post='12087526']
Also don't overlook that just because you have good grades and killer scores, you have a spot.

A good buddy of mine who posts on here has won tournaments at the jr level, and been very competitive in many others,has been trying to walk on to the U of a team for a few years now. He has very good grades and actually beats many of their players in am events, so it can be very frustrating that he can't even get a tryout
[/quote]

Crazy part is he's only getting better. He's handed me my @ss every time we've played Torrey or at Legacy in AZ

[quote name='double or triple?' timestamp='1438834438' post='12087552']
[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1438834240' post='12087526']

[/quote]

Crazy part is he's only getting better. He's handed me my @ss every time we've played Torrey or at Legacy in AZ
[/quote]

Right? He's a really solid player who if he wanted to could easily have a top spot on a smaller schools roster,

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

I played with a kid that will be playing for UCLA on scholarship next year 7337 yard 75.4 rated track, and it was his first time out there he was -3 through 5 before the winds kicked up to 20-30mph. He ended up at even for the day. He hit a 320 yard drive into the wind on 18. I was also playing with a former gateway tour player who shot low 70's from 6900 yards we both agreed it is a different game the other kid was playing. Bottom line is coaches want results in well recognized tourneys, big time city champ, state ams, JR tour, HS state champs etc. It is a tough road especially for a well known D1 program. No shame in looking at a smaller school either.

I echo what Fore Life has said I have played many rounds with that guy and while he is a phenomenal player there was still a big difference between him and the kid I mentioned above who is getting the full ride. Being good is one thing being better than the rest is a different story.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1438833948' post='12087514']
No one is busting on you, it's good to chase your dreams man! Please don't read in to the responses as people trying to shoot you down, it's just a mature outlook on the situation.

I kind of look at it like this, and maybe you've seen some similar threads on here covering the topic. I'll give you a scenario, this isn't what I think, but just roll along with me for a minute dude.

I just turned 33, started golf at 10, stopped at 15-16. Picked it up again at the age of 27, was shooting in the mid 80's. Worked my butt off, and within 1year, I shot par. Another 2 and I was breaking par. So that's about 10-12 strokes in 3 years. So let's start at the point in time where I first broke par.

What if I said "I broke par, I've shaved 12 strokes off in 3 years, I want to play on the Pga tour." I would get flamed big time! So let's equte the Pga tour(top of professional golf) with a d1 school (top of collegiate golf). A bit of a stretch in scenarios, but maybe you get what I'm going for here. Pga would be so far out of reach that it would be a pipe dream, not saying that UCLA is a pipe dream for you, but you've got to think that they already have kids your age on their radar, kids who are winning at the national level. So it'd be like me shooting 80 and saying "3 years, I'll get on tour!!!" Meanwhile theres guys 9 years younger than me shooting 62 on web.com tour, know what I mean?
Now it might not have been as much of a stretch if I said " I'm gonna play on the Pepsi tour in 2 years(small college)."

Get a solid education and a rad job and then play way more golf when you retire at 35 with 200 million in the bank haha
[/quote]

That could not have been explained better!!! I hope he can see that

Hey Noah, good to see ya again Bud :)

I've sat back and watched this thread progress and I was really torn about posting because I have been where you are, at a different age and in a different field, though I was told by everyone from my Parents to industry "experts" to my Mentors that I was making a mistake and I "was not ready" and should not bet my life's savings on my dream. Well, I did it anyways, and while it was tough, with long days and some longer nights, I achieved my dream. So I can relate to bright, caring and knowledgable people telling you that you have to be "realistic" in your dreams, desires and goals.

I say that if this is your dream, and you have a rock solid plan to try to achieve it, with the short, medium and long term goals to measure yourself by, go for it Bud!!!

You are special Noah~

You are a bright, articulate and kind young man mature beyond your years.

What most impressed me about you is how you've handled yourself in this thread. Sure, Aggs was blunt and to the point, but I will tell you what I tell my clients, don't ask the question if ya can't deal with my answer.

I don't see anyone in here, least of all Aggs, who I know very well, and along with being a kind sweet and caring woman, she is a Phenomenal Mother to an Incredible Son. She is speaking from her heart and we spoke about you and she cares enough to talk about and come in here and give you Advice.

The same with Fore_Life & One_Putt_Blunder.

Great Guys with excellent words of wisdom.

However getting back to you, with the exception of your getting curt with Aggs, and you caught yourself and were a Gentleman and immediately apologized to her. Noah, You have something far more valuable than anything you could ever achieve on a golf course or in the game, and I don't care if you go on to be the 1 man at UCLA.

You have Class My Friend!!!!

Many adult men in this forum could learn from you and how you carry yourself!!!

You are a Bright, Kind, Articulate and Classy young Man!!

You are a Gentleman, and please Noah, PLEASE do not EVER compromise yourself or give that away.

I promise that that will take you further than a golf club ever will, and I don't care if you achieve your dreams or not-

Regarding your dreams, yes, you are facing an uphill battle, and as long as you know this and you have the proper gear to climb that hill, go for it Bud!!!

The most critical part for you will be to write these goals down, what you have to do and how you're going to go about achieving them, from practice regimes to tournament schedules and then time frames for short, mid and long term goals.

So you will see where you stand at 15yo and then, and this will be the critical year I believe, however you will see where you are at 16 years of age.

If you are on the mark, and achieving your short and mid term goals, great, adjust as necessary and keep drivin for the mountain top!!!

However, if things begin to unfold and you see that there may be opportunities elsewhere, then you adjust you goals and objectives and pursue them with the same drive, determination and focus.

But for now, you've got a treasure trove of insight and advice here.

I realize that ya may not agree with it or want to accept it now, and that's fine.

You've handled yourself impeccably, especially for your age.

At 14yo, there is absolutely no way that I could carry myself as you do!!

Your Parents have much to be proud of Noah!!

You are an incredible Young Man!!!

I wish you the very best with school, with Golf and with your dreams!!!

Don't ever let someone tell you what you cannot do Noah!!!

Ever!!!

Go out and see for yourself :)

Fairways & Greens and may your putts fall like rain Bro :)

God Bless,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1438917064' post='12093800']Hey Noah, good to see ya again Bud :)

I've sat back and watched this thread progress and I was really torn about posting because I have been where you are, at a different age and in a different field, though I was told by everyone from my Parents to industry "experts" to my Mentors that I was making a mistake and I "was not ready" and should not bet my life's savings on my dream. Well, I did it anyways, and while it was tough, with long days and some longer nights, I achieved my dream. So I can relate to bright, caring and knowledgable people telling you that you have to be "realistic" in your dreams, desires and goals.

I say that if this is your dream, and you have a rock solid plan to try to achieve it, with the short, medium and long term goals to measure yourself by, go for it Bud!!!

You are special Noah~

You are a bright, articulate and kind young man mature beyond your years.

What most impressed me about you is how you've handled yourself in this thread. Sure, Aggs was blunt and to the point, but I will tell you what I tell my clients, don't ask the question if ya can't deal with my answer.

I don't see anyone in here, least of all Aggs, who I know very well, and along with being a kind sweet and caring woman, she is a Phenomenal Mother to an Incredible Son. She is speaking from her heart and we spoke about you and she cares enough to talk about and come in here and give you Advice.

The same with Fore_Life & One_Putt_Blunder.

Great Guys with excellent words of wisdom.

However getting back to you, with the exception of your getting curt with Aggs, and you caught yourself and were a Gentleman and immediately apologized to her, well My Friend, You have something far more valuable than anything you could ever achieve on a golf course or in the game, and I don't care if you go on to be the 1 man at UCLA.

You have Class My Friend!!!!

Many adult men in this forum could learn from you and how you carry yourself!!!

You are a Bright, Kind, Articulate and Classy young Man!!

You are a Gentleman, and please Noah, PLEASE do not EVER compromise yourself or give that away.

I promise that that will take you further than a golf club ever will, and I don't care if you achieve your dreams or not-

Regarding your dreams, yes, you are facing an uphill battle, and as long as you know this and you have the proper gear to climb that hill, go for it Bud!!!

The most critical part for you will be to write these goals down, what you have to do and how you're going to go about achieving them, from practice regimes to tournament schedules and then time frames for short, mid and long term goals.

So you will see where you stand at 15yo and then, and this will be the critical year I believe, however you will see where you are at 16 years of age.

If you are on the mark, and achieving your short and mid term goals, great, adjust as necessary and keep drivin for the mountain top!!!

However, if things begin to unfold and you see that there may be opportunities elsewhere, then you adjust you goals and objectives and pursue them with the same drive, determination and focus.

But for now, you've got a treasure trove of insight and advice here.

I realize that ya may not agree with it or want to accept it now, and that's fine.

You've handled yourself impeccably, especially for your age.

At 14yo, there is absolutely no way that I could carry myself as you do!!

Your Parents have much to be proud of Noah!!

You are an incredible Young Man!!!

I wish you the very best with school, with Golf and with your dreams!!!

Don't ever let someone tell you what you cannot do Noah!!!

Ever!!!

Go out and see for yourself :)

Fairways & Greens and may your putts fall like rain Bro :)

God Bless,
Richard[/quote]man you brought tears to my eyes with your kind words so far on this site you have been my biggest cheerleader and I appreciate that too and extent that one cannot see!!!! Thank you and good luck to you your family and especially your mother that has fought a battle much harder then any of us have ever faced..... Thanks again
Your friend,
Noah Levine

[also thanks agatha for all of your comments]

You bet Noah, really do want the best for you, you should always follow your dreams, my advise was to just be open to other things because if you close your mind to other things you might actually miss out on something wonderful.
My son had a dream school as well, but he was not so focused on it that he was closed to other possibilities. The day he made a verbal commitment to the college he ended up at, he received an email from the "dream school" coach letting him know he was noticing his performance etc.. Turned out that the school he ended up at was the best fit for him and it was a tremendous 4 year experience, he competed against his dream school regularly and when he struggled with an illness the coach of that dream school called his coach because he wanted to help. The golf community is tight knit, the coaches are mostly all friends.. Just be sure to keep your eyes wide open to all possibilities.

Hey Noah have you ever thought about trying to walk-on? Thinking outside the box is often the best way to accomplish your goals.

I have great news for you! It's a lot easier to make it into UCLA as a student than a scholarship golfer.

You need to kick a** in school from now until high school graduation to get the grades that you would need to get into UCLA anyways.

Even better, get an academic scholarship that pays for just as much as a golf scholarship would.

That way you go to your dream school either way and still have a chance (albeit slim) of joining their golf team as a walk-on.

Try out 4 times. Once every year. So what if you fail to make it all 4 years? At least you tried and still end up with the same degree and college experience.

[quote name='TitleistDave2' timestamp='1438938077' post='12094470']
Hey Noah have you ever thought about trying to walk-on? Thinking outside the box is often the best way to accomplish your goals.
[/quote]Great Point Dave!!

A kid who would go on to become my college nose guard(I was an ILB), roomie and best friend and went on to become an AA and to play on Sundays and then later fame with the WWE(Brian Pillman, also known as Flyin Brian with the WWE) started out as a walk-on.

Granted, it is easier to walk onto a college football team than golf team though the deck is still seriously stacked against you. When I signed that piece of paper, as long as I stayed academically eligible and did not quit, they were responsible for providing me with the scholarship. No such commitment with the walk-on. They were basically "fodder" for us in practice.

Except Brian, lmao.

First day, first practice, first drill~

Our relationship started out with a brawl, lol.

He even jacked a grad a**. coach who tried to break it up.

However he had a dream that turned into an obsession.

I realize that it is harder to get that golf scholarship than the football scholarship, my point was that it still comes down to, as Dave said, "thinking outside the box," and Brian did this by hitting anyone that moved and then getting into a fight with them, hoping to get the coaches' attention, lmao.

He did-

He ran more miles that first week of camp than a cross country runner-

Then he made the four deep depth chart-

Then he got a ride-

Great post Dave!

Stay Well My Friend :)

My Best,
Richard d

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='TitleistDave2' timestamp='1438938077' post='12094470']Hey Noah have you ever thought about trying to walk-on? Thinking outside the box is often the best way to accomplish your goals.

I have great news for you! It's a lot easier to make it into UCLA as a student than a scholarship golfer.

You need to kick a** in school from now until high school graduation to get the grades that you would need to get into UCLA anyways.

Even better, get an academic scholarship that pays for just as much as a golf scholarship would.

That way you go to your dream school either way and still have a chance (albeit slim) of joining their golf team as a walk-on.

Try out 4 times. Once every year. So what if you fail to make it all 4 years? At least you tried and still end up with the same degree and college experience.[/quote]great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Dave

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1438947839' post='12094682'][quote name='TitleistDave2' timestamp='1438938077' post='12094470']
[/quote]Great Point Dave!!

A kid who would go on to become my college nose guard(I was an ILB), roomie and best friend and went on to become an AA and to play on Sundays and then later fame with the WWE(Brian Pillman, also known as Flyin Brian with the WWE) started out as a walk-on.

Granted, it is easier to walk onto a college football team than golf team though the deck is still seriously stacked against you. When I signed that piece of paper, as long as I stayed academically eligible and did not quit, they were responsible for providing me with the scholarship. No such commitment with the walk-on. They were basically "fodder" for us in practice.

Except Brian, lmao.

First day, first practice, first drill~

Our relationship started out with a brawl, lol.

He even jacked a grad a**. coach who tried to break it up.

However he had a dream that turned into an obsession.

I realize that it is harder to get that golf scholarship than the football scholarship, my point was that it still comes down to, as Dave said, "thinking outside the box," and Brian did this by hitting anyone that moved and then getting into a fight with them, hoping to get the coaches' attention, lmao.

He did-

He dan more miles that first week of camp than a cross country runner-

Then he made the four deep depth chart-

Then he got a ride-

Great post Dave!

Stay Well My Friend :)

My Best,
Richard d[/quote]haha your stories crack me up

Im pretty sure UCLA does not have any walk on tryouts for golf. If they did it would be for the B team, B team doesn't compete so much for the university as it does to give players an opportunity to try to prove they can play. Does UCLA have a club golf team? Club golf is growing tremendously and apparently is pretty competitive.

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438957074' post='12095350']
Im pretty sure UCLA does not have any walk on tryouts for golf. If they did it would be for the B team, B team doesn't compete so much for the university as it does to give players an opportunity to try to prove they can play. Does UCLA have a club golf team? Club golf is growing tremendously and apparently is pretty competitive.
[/quote]

I'm not sure how things worked at UCLA, but at Purdue there were no guaranteed walk-on tryouts each year. If there was someone impressive that wasn't on the roster we held a "tryout", but it wasn't open to anyone. UCLA is a better program, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were no walk-ons.

[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438957074' post='12095350']Im pretty sure UCLA does not have any walk on tryouts for golf. If they did it would be for the B team, B team doesn't compete so much for the university as it does to give players an opportunity to try to prove they can play. Does UCLA have a club golf team? Club golf is growing tremendously and apparently is pretty competitive.[/quote]man right when I was excited ;) Haha

[/quote]

Oh really, Negative Nancy?

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/apr/21/ncaa-college-golf-scholarship-walk-on-success/

http://dailybruin.com/2012/10/31/blue-and-gold-on-the-green-bruin-walk-on-lifts-golf-team-with-talent-personality/

A simple google search proves you wrong. Why try so hard to shoot down this kid's dreams when you are just talking out of your a** anyways?

This is a very important life lesson Noah! There will always be people in your life who will say that you can't do something. For whatever reason. Never let them discourage you. 9 times out of 10 they have no idea what they are talking about anyways (I'm looking at you Agatha).

[quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438961934' post='12095830']
[quote name='agatha' timestamp='1438957074' post='12095350']Im pretty sure UCLA does not have any walk on tryouts for golf. If they did it would be for the B team, B team doesn't compete so much for the university as it does to give players an opportunity to try to prove they can play. Does UCLA have a club golf team? Club golf is growing tremendously and apparently is pretty competitive.[/quote]man right when I was excited ;) Haha
[/quote]

Don't let these idiots discourage you Noah! The links I posted above will prove to you that UCLA allows walk-ons to play on their golf team.

Here is some information about what you'll need to learn about walking on:

[url="http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/2012/03/21/never-rule-out-becoming-a-walk-on.htm"]http://www.collegesp...g-a-walk-on.htm[/url] - "NEVER rule out becoming a Walk-on"

[url="http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/2012/05/22/speak-with-college-coaches.htm"]http://www.collegesp...ege-coaches.htm[/url] - "How to contact and talk to the college coach"

Information you'll need to contact the UCLA head coach and assistant coach:

Head coach: Derek Freeman

Years coaching at UCLA: 8

College and graduating year: Oklahoma '94

Email address: [email protected]

Twitter: @CoachDFreeman

Assistant coach: Brandon Christianson

Years coaching at UCLA: 3

College and graduating year: UCLA '09

UCLA Athletics Staff Directory: [url="http://www.uclabruins.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208274706"]http://www.uclabruin...TCLID=208274706[/url]

[quote name='TitleistDave2' timestamp='1439014937' post='12099888']
[/quote]

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/apr/21/ncaa-college-golf-scholarship-walk-on-success/

http://dailybruin.com/2012/10/31/blue-and-gold-on-the-green-bruin-walk-on-lifts-golf-team-with-talent-personality/

A simple google search proves you wrong. Why try so hard to shoot down this kid's dreams when you are just talking out of your a** anyways?

This is a very important life lesson Noah! There will always be people in your life who will say that you can't do something. For whatever reason. Never let them discourage you. 9 times out of 10 they have no idea what they are talking about anyways (I'm looking at you Agatha).
[/quote]

There's a difference between being asked by the coach to walk on and walking on via tryout. The former is the coach saying I want you on the team but I'm out of scholarships. The latter is saying I don't have enough players to fill all the available spots.

Here's a couple of interesting links for you Noah.
http://www.uclabruins.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208268829

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/golfscholarships.htm

[quote name='TitleistDave2' timestamp='1439015652' post='12099900'][quote name='Noahlevine2145' timestamp='1438961934' post='12095830']
[/quote]

Don't let these idiots discourage you Noah! The links I posted above will prove to you that UCLA allows walk-ons to play on their golf team.

Here is some information about what you'll need to learn about walking on:

[url="http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/2012/03/21/never-rule-out-becoming-a-walk-on.htm"]http://www.collegesp...g-a-walk-on.htm[/url] - "NEVER rule out becoming a Walk-on"

[url="http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/2012/05/22/speak-with-college-coaches.htm"]http://www.collegesp...ege-coaches.htm[/url] - "How to contact and talk to the college coach"

Information you'll need to contact the UCLA head coach and assistant coach:

Head coach: Derek Freeman

Years coaching at UCLA: 8

College and graduating year: Oklahoma '94

Twitter: @CoachDFreeman

Assistant coach: Brandon Christianson

Years coaching at UCLA: 3

College and graduating year: UCLA '09

UCLA Athletics Staff Directory: [url="http://www.uclabruins.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208274706"]http://www.uclabruin...TCLID=208274706[/url][/quote]thanks so much

[quote name='mjbfyb' timestamp='1439027822' post='12100052']
[quote name='TitleistDave2' timestamp='1439014937' post='12099888']
[/quote]

[url="http://golfweek.com/news/2015/apr/21/ncaa-college-golf-scholarship-walk-on-success/"]http://golfweek.com/...alk-on-success/[/url]

[url="http://dailybruin.com/2012/10/31/blue-and-gold-on-the-green-bruin-walk-on-lifts-golf-team-with-talent-personality/"]http://dailybruin.co...nt-personality/[/url]

[/quote]

There's a difference between being asked by the coach to walk on and walking on via tryout. The former is the coach saying I want you on the team but I'm out of scholarships. The latter is saying I don't have enough players to fill all the available spots.

Here's a couple of interesting links for you Noah.
[url="http://www.uclabruins.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208268829"]http://www.uclabruin...TCLID=208268829[/url]

[url="http://www.athleticscholarships.net/golfscholarships.htm"]http://www.athletics...cholarships.htm[/url]
[/quote]Good Morning Noah, Aggs & Gents~

There are a few things that I'd like to address.

First, and for those not familiar, I think a lot of TitleistDave2 and his posts. He doesn't blindly follow the sheep and the "group think" that is prevelent on the board. He's been a member forever, lol, and picks his posts judiciously, not just jumping in a thread for the sake of piling on or just taking a contrarian view for the sake of disagreeing. Bottom line, I wish that you'd post more, lol :)

Regarding Agatha, well, she is one the three members on this board along with Mitch and Brian who I am closest to. She is not a negative individual by any stretch of the imagination and as I've said in other threads, while her son achieved AA status as a D1 Player, she and her husband were there in the "old school" way, not as coaches, not as trainers, not pushing him to keep going when he was tired(he actually needed no one to push him, ever, lol) a and certainly not as agents, trying to "sell" their son to anyone who would take a look.

She was simply a Mother~

And she doesn't even know this yet but last week when I was in critical condition(unstable) with a collapsed lung and a trach(pronounced trake) tube in me, I read one her messages when I was conscious and this was one of the three most painful experiences in my life and that includes 14 orthopedic football related surgeries and three bouts with cancer, however she made me smile. To the point that my Mother, sitting beside my bed, asked who's message was I reading because "you haven't smiled in two weeks(I'm usually a pretty positive guy, lol)." She always brings a smile to my face :)

Thank You, You're the Best!!!

My point is that Aggs isn't a good Person-

She is a Great Person!!!

We have discussed Noah off of the board and he is the only individual that this has happened with in over a year of friendship and conversations. I happen to be on the other side of the table on this. I don't agree with her. However I see and understand her point.

She is a Mother First and foremost-

She is a pragmatist-

She is a realist-

She also was a college athlete-

Though I was heavily recruited in football, I came back from injuries that I and my parents were told were "career ending" because they did not have the surgical procedures, technology or skills necessary at that time to repair my knees to resume the rigors of D1 football.

No problem, haha

I, on my end would rehab, work and get my knees back to where I could play-

And I did-

And at the time, I had a man considered one of THE three finest Orthopods in the country, out of HSS(Hospital for Special Surgery, NY, NY) look me in the eyes and say it was time to concentrate on academics and "put football in the closet."

Well, My Father, also a surgeon(Transplant), agreed with him. The team docs, not wanting my carcas hauled off the field on a stretcher, agreed.

Long story short, I took a redshirt, took 18 months, then reclaimed my starting position and played two more years, running off of the field following my last college game with Brian, Smitty, DDog, CDog and all of the guys that I had arrived with five years before(most of us took redshirts).

My point being is that I'm a dreamer-

Anything that I've achieved in my life that I would classify as "notable" was done in the face of tremendous odds, overwhelming adversity and with 98% of those around me saying "no way."

This even went so far as a Priest attempting to give me Last Rights during my last bout of cancer. I somehow awakened with him standing over me, I whispered "what are you doing," he ignored me and continued chirping and I looked to my right and my Mother was holding my hand with her head burried on my right thigh, sobbing. I again asked him what he was doing, he again ignored me, then I heard him say, "Forgive and absolve him oh Lord," it clicked and I lashed out as best I could, knocking the cross and his little Last Rites kit off of my stomach and I said as loud as I could(like a hoarse roar, lol) "Get the f*** away from me." Well he finally stopped babbling and moved back. My Father was at the foot of the bed and told him to wait in the hall. I had no idea how long I had been "out(4 days)" and my Father explained everything, basically that I should not have awakened ;), lmao

All I said was "not tonight(it was 8:30am but the drapes were drawn and lights were out)"

I whispered to my Mother to open the drapes, turn the lights on and sit with me. I told my Father to go to surgery, that I would be fine and see him when he had finished(he had cancelled his OR schedule, lol). I stayed wake for 17 hours and would take no pain meds because I didn't want to fall asleep.

I'm still here~

I proved them wrong again, lmao :)

And these were people that I respected, looked up to and in many many cases Loved dearly.

They were not wrong in their views-

In fact, 96-98% of the time, they would have been correct.

Just not with me-

But that's ok!!!

Because when I was tired, hurting or disheartened, I visualized them and their words and opinions and it drove me on-

Did I "win" in every one of these situations?!?

Of course not, lol.

But I've won enough that to my core I believe that I will determine the final score of the game or on the card!!!

And if you happen to score more or lower?

Sometimes the time runs out or I run out of holes-

No biggie~

I'll show up tomorrow regardless-

So, this is me~

However, I greatly respect Agg's views on this because she comes from a Mother's viewpoint-

A Mother who has witnessed first hand with other parents and children who had coach's, academies and agents blow smoke up these parents' and their childrens' a**** and the disappointment and heart break in the other side when dreams are shattered and promises broken.

Regarding getting personal, Dave, I know that you're passionate about this and Noah. Believe me I know, lol. I am am extremely passionate individual, and that, more so than talent, has allowed me to achieve whatever it is that I have in my life, be it athletically, academically or professionally.

And I understand about letting passion dictate one's words and actions, lol

You're just gonna have to believe me that I do.

And I said and did things that I wish that I hadn't, that I would give anything to take back, but I can't.

However what I learned is that to get personal defeats anything and everything that I was trying to communicate.

I do know that just as at my school, and one of my roommates was the 2-3 man on our golf team(D1 Mid Major, and that's a whole mother thread, lmao, a white golfer rooming with 3 inner city black football player, lmao. He came home from class one day to find all three in the front yard having a chipping contest with various Hogan irons from his bag. I had to explain the etiquette of another's bag and clubs, especially when said clubs were paying for his education, lmao), and they did not have a "formal" or official walk-on policy or try out however one could approach the HC and if so inclined, he would arrange a game for the prospective golfer with say, my roommate and another of his teammates.

We may be splitting hairs here regarding having an "official" walk-on policy with try-outs or a situation such as my college had.

That is not my point-

My main point is that we are the adults here and should set the example for Noah and the other Junior Players to follow in this and all of the Junior threads.

This much I know~

Noah is a bright Boy and doesn't need any of us to tell him what he should or should not pay heed to regarding advice and our thoughts.

He will be just fine :)

I just don't want to see this disintegrate into the typical WRX garbage thread where someone goes off and then others, who might have great thoughts or opinions, see this and think, "just because I disagree, I'm gonna subject myself to this?!?!?"

And we only hurt ourselves along with the Juniors who pass because they may have a worthwhile experience to speak of, and I've had two PM me, not on this thread though another and two adults started a p****** contest with the personal insults and all, and these kids(one was 15yo, the other 17yo) didn't want to subject themselves to that as they disagreed with the men's views and opinions.

Then, the bottom line, and I've said this elsewhere on the board and I've interjected myself in the real world when necessary, but Aggs is a Lady!!

She is a kind, thoughtful and caring Lady-

But first and foremost, she is a LADY!!

And you ALWAYS treat a LADY with RESPECT & DIGNITY!!

And Noah, this is to you Bud-

I ALWAYS look at other Ladies and Women as I do my Mother and Sister, and I ALWAYS treat them with the same Dignity, Kindness & Respect that I would want my Mother & Sister treated with!!

That has served me well :)

Stay Well Gents and have a great weekend!!

Aggs, I'll be bothering ya soon :)

As Always,

My Best,
Richard