Does your club have a member that "Clears the Sheet" ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1438805535' post='12084794']
I think I've told this story here before but at a local private club here there was a man who was horribly slow... his response "I pay my dues so I will play as fast or slow as I want." This went on for years. He retired and moved to Florida where he continued to have the same attitude. His very first week he got a letter,"Please pick up your pace of play... this will be your only warning." He kept his attitude... the next month he got a letter,"You were warned once, here's a check for your dues, please take your golf somewhere else."

The members up here were slapping themselves for not thinking of that.
[/quote]Yep, the same thing happened at Oakmont in 2013.

They refunded his bond in totality, lmao.

That's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in 46 years in the game at the time, lol.

I hope all's well Bro :)

All the Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Sadly our slow player is the club champion for 6 out of 9 years and the best player at our club...

the guy played a men's night round in 5.5 hours 4 groups were piled up behind him.

all of the players were too chicken to call him out.

I did though. I'm a new member and don't really care that he's the top dawg and best buddies with the head pro.

luckily my story ended good. his group now plays last on Wednesday night which was good of him.

I said " mister x you are a heck of a player and good guy, but why are you so slow? in a couple weeks nobody will be able to play after your group and finish on time. 5 hours is an hour too much man."

he obviously knew and we worked it out.

We don't have any slow players of note at my club. You'll get the occasional foursome with guests who play slower because they find the trouble on the course. But its unusual for a round to last more than 4 hours. I played in a foursome yesterday in 3:20.

I'm known as one of the better players in the club. That's less important to me than being known as one of the faster and friendlier players.

[quote name='dlaugust' timestamp='1438837395' post='12087696']There is a pace of play requirement written into my current club's bylaws. It is enforced, usually with a warning or two, and then the opportunity to make tee times during certain hours is taken away.
I have yet to hear about anyone who has had that happen to them, yet. I am always afraid that it will be me![/quote]
It happened before you were a member. The guy resigned. When I am actually in town these days I play with the early morning guys and we rarely see a round longer than 3:45. I've only seen a round longer than 4:00 one time and that was the opening day after the restoration. It was ~5:00 that day and felt like 15:00.

I guess I'm really lucky. At my club the weekday early morning players finish their rounds in 3 hours or less, playing as foursomes (& even the occasional fivesome).

On weekends the lead group finishes in less than 2.5 hours. The next group takes about 3.5 hours.

There used to be one slow player on weekday mornings, and even he & his buddy finished in 3.5 hours. But he was smart enough to allow the first 3 or 4 groups to start before his group, even if he had booked the first time. So that was fine. Self-policing and peer pressure seems to be working, so far.

[quote name='CHARGERS' timestamp='1438838282' post='12087726']Head pro not doing his job[/quote]
In that situation its not the Head pro's duty to go kick somebody off a private course for slow play. He may lose his job because of it. Now head pros should be cautious of slow golfers and not book them when its busy. "Oh you want 10:03, yeah we are slammed tomorrow buddy, i get you a 2:05, perfect, alright see you then." "Pro, there is only two groups in morning currently, yeah but Mr.Na takes 7 hours."

It is more the Board job to police slow play in this situation. Give him a warning, penalize him. Even at public course it is tough for head pro to kick group off for slow play, they may never come back, who ever they good friends with may never come back

Its a tough situation

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Jason Day is a member of your club? WOW!

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Yes. My club uses Foretees for tee times, so everyone can see exactly who is playing at what time. I watch that thing like a hawk as there are about 10-15 individuals that I absolutely will not play behind, and the tee times tend to be open after theirs, so I think other people do the same. Also, if I see groups with guests or two husband/wife couples playing together, I avoid playing behind those, they are always slow. I call it "gaming the tee sheet" and my buddies always have me pick our times.

We have a pace of play policy stating 4:15 or less, but it is only enforced in the early weekend morning hours when the tee times are booked pretty solid. If Mr/Mrs. Smith and Mr/Mrs. Jones want to tee off at 11am and take 5 hours, the staff does nothing. Even 4:15 is way too long on this course. I have been told by some fellow members that I play "too fast."

[quote name='HighSpeedScene' timestamp='1438868573' post='12088916']
[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1438866005' post='12088662']
[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1438822667' post='12086400']
I'm not sure whose worse, the ultra slow member or the super fast one who always asks to play through even if it's packed and there's no where to go.
[/quote]

I agree.... the 'hands on the hips' guy and the 'folded arms guy'. Not to mention the "not so subtle talk loudly guy".
[/quote]

So, your point is that extremes exist at the extremes? Honestly, can anyone in good conscience claim that there is a bigger problem with fast play in golf than with slow play? And yet some turtles always show up to make the point that "too fast sucks too!"

Hit the ball already gentlemen. You guys probably posted this while "folded arms guy" was waiting in the fairway for you to get the heck off the green.
[/quote]

you can't please everyone. whether it's too fast or too slow or just right.... sorry, goldielocks....

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1438950609' post='12094818']
I guess I'm really lucky. At my club the weekday early morning players finish their rounds in 3 hours or less, playing as foursomes (& even the occasional fivesome).

On weekends the lead group finishes in less than 2.5 hours. The next group takes about 3.5 hours.

There used to be one slow player on weekday mornings, and even he & his buddy finished in 3.5 hours. But he was smart enough to allow the first 3 or 4 groups to start before his group, even if he had booked the first time. So that was fine. Self-policing and peer pressure seems to be working, so far.
[/quote]

This here is one of the problems. 3.5 hours for 18 holes is not slow by any means. I will say I have played by myself in a cart and played 18 holes in about 2.5, but I was hitting it well. If it's a 4 some 4 hours or less is good, 4-4.5 is iffy and anything over that I start to get angry.

[quote name='Santiago Golf' timestamp='1438950623' post='12094822']
[quote name='CHARGERS' timestamp='1438838282' post='12087726']Head pro not doing his job[/quote]
In that situation its not the Head pro's duty to go kick somebody off a private course for slow play. He may lose his job because of it. Now head pros should be cautious of slow golfers and not book them when its busy. "Oh you want 10:03, yeah we are slammed tomorrow buddy, i get you a 2:05, perfect, alright see you then." "Pro, there is only two groups in morning currently, yeah but Mr.Na takes 7 hours."

It is more the Board job to police slow play in this situation. Give him a warning, penalize him. Even at public course it is tough for head pro to kick group off for slow play, they may never come back, who ever they good friends with may never come back

Its a tough situation
[/quote]
It's only tough if the board is not behind the head pro in enforcing faster play, no he wouldn't kick someone off a private club course, but controlling the tee times is a way of helping the situation and doing your job as a head pro.

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1438872725' post='12089364']
We have a member that is a good player and manages to qualify for our Ryder Cup team just about every year for the past 20 years. He's missed a few but not many.

Every year that he qualifies our team Capt and our opposing team Capt put him out dead last in whatever format we're playing. This member thinks it's because he's clutch (which he kinda is)

The real reason is because of his pace of play. Last the year on the Sunday singles the matches were over and done -- we lost -- and his single match was on 14 tee when the rest of us were in the clubhouse drinking.

Giving credit where credit is due....this guy in mid 50s now and he won that match over a mid 20s former small college player.

He moves like pondwater....
[/quote]

He's a poker master..... He slow played the kid... haha

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]