GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

Tried the Guru and it just wasn't for me; shipped it back today. If your looking for self mapping and the versatility to add your own targets, without a yearly fee, this unit is for you. For me I was looking for a simple, load course and go device that would be easy to use without and help from me. I settled on the GolfLogix unit, which seems to be a much better fit. I am happy with 6 hazards per hole, and their course selection in my area is much better than Golf Guru. I'm not bad mouthing the Guru, just seems to work best for someone who wants the ability to tinker with their GPS. If your looking for a very simple solution like I am, look elsewhere. Just my $0.02.

Sorry it wasn't for you. Can't wait for my GG to arrive on Fri! The first thing I am going to do is map the short game area at my course so I can use it for practice. The mapping feature and the ability to have the rotating green depending on approach were two of the clinchers for me.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just synced my Guru and it still says that 1.14 is the latest version. I'm also using 1.5x of the Utility. How/why do you guys have 1.17 and 2.0 of the Utility ??

Do you guys know if they (Guru Developers) are working on a way to add targets while you play without leaving "play" mode ?? That to me would be valuable -- I don't like to mess w/it too much but wouldn't mind adding some lay up points on-the-fly.

If you Login to the GG sight, go to SUPPORT, UPDATE, and at the bottom of the screen will be a button to click on that says GURU UTILITY 2.0 BETA. You'll get v 2.0 that way.

pflogger - any update on how beta testing is going?

Well, I'll say the 2.0 utility works like a charm, but I never had any issues with the old utility. It does allow for consistent uploading of my user mapped courses.

I'm still using the 1.17 version of the software. I was able to regain use of a course I had modified using 1.14, and then it wouldn't show up on my play list, although, it was in the file management list. It works fine now.

I spotted a bug that I reported in 1.17 that only showed up if you were mapping a course and did not map the green on hole 1 (skipped it or started on some other hole). What I thought was strange, was if you skipped hole 1 in past versions, you could never get any later holes to show up unless you went back and mapped the green on hole 1. This time, however, I was able to see holes that were mapped without having mapped hole 1. It seems, that the Guru was creating a green for me on hole 1, although it had no data in it, so it didn't show up as a valid green. If you went back and tried to modify it, it wouldn't take, so hole 1 was no good. All other holes were fine, but what good is it if you can't get hole 1 to map out. This issue was not a problem on any other holes where you skipped mapping the green except for the first one.

Long story short...I received an email reply to an email I sent them on this issue. They were able to duplicate the issue, and, of course, will fix it. They mentioned they are internally testing 1.18 without this fix in it yet, so who knows what the next official release version will be. Other than this one issue, the 1.17 version seems pretty stable to me, and does everything I need with no problems. I have generated a couple of new course maps and edited a couple also, and so far so good. I didn't receive any information on when a new version is expected out (but I didn't ask). Overall, I'm still loving it!

I just synced my Guru and it still says that 1.14 is the latest version. I'm also using 1.5x of the Utility. How/why do you guys have 1.17 and 2.0 of the Utility ??

Do you guys know if they (Guru Developers) are working on a way to add targets while you play without leaving "play" mode ?? That to me would be valuable -- I don't like to mess w/it too much but wouldn't mind adding some lay up points on-the-fly.

When you go into the course mapper you actually load another copy of the course into the unit. So there are two copies loaded, one you are "playing" and one you are "modifying". It is a little klugee to go back and forth but you can do it. However, even with the latest released beta (1.17) I tried modifying a downloaded course and seemed to be able to do so successfully, but when I went to play it, none of the targets, except for the green outlines, showed up and all distances to the greens read 999. They were working on a version 1.18 which has not been released even to the beta testers. I don't know if this solves the problem or not.

If you Login to the GG sight, go to SUPPORT, UPDATE, and at the bottom of the screen will be a button to click on that says GURU UTILITY 2.0 BETA. You'll get v 2.0 that way.

You will then need a password which you would have to get from them.

You will then need a password which you would have to get from them.

Thanks for the info -- I have no desire to be a beta tester. 1.14 is solid for my purposes. I just didn't understand how two users on this forum had later versions of both the utility and the unit firmware than I did.

Thanks for your efforts to make our Gurus better :rolleyes:

Thinking about selling my golf guru, any interest out there? about 3 months old. I have had a screen protector on since i purchase. so it like new

What is your reason for selling. This is the perfect thread to give your thoughts on both likes and dislikes.

The main reason is the golf guru seems to be off 10 to 12 yards at my home course on certain holes. It has also been off on a course that they just mapped for me. That course I was involved in the gps of the sprinkler heads so I know they are accurate, same thing. some holes right on, others off both short and long. I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 yards but 10 to 12 is an extra club. I have also made sure it was in yard mode. I could map my main course myself but I do play a lot of other courses during the year and really can't do them all.

If it was more accurate, it would be a great unit.

The main reason is the golf guru seems to be off 10 to 12 yards at my home course on certain holes. It has also been off on a course that they just mapped for me. That course I was involved in the gps of the sprinkler heads so I know they are accurate, same thing. some holes right on, others off both short and long. I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 yards but 10 to 12 is an extra club. I have also made sure it was in yard mode. I could map my main course myself but I do play a lot of other courses during the year and really can't do them all.

Are you sure that it set to give yards? Has happened to others on the board were it was set for meters.

Are you sure that it set to give yards? Has happened to others on the board were it was set for meters.

If it were a meters problem, it wouldn't be off both short and long.

pj1golf, you said you were involved in "the gps of the sprinkler heads" on your home course. How recent was this? Is this a new course or one that has been recently renovated? One problem with mapping from satellite/aerial photos, as does everyone but SkyGolf, is they can be a as much as a couple or more years off! Satellite photos I look at of my home course are two years out of date as we did a major green renovation and redid the range.

When you go into the course mapper you actually load another copy of the course into the unit. So there are two copies loaded, one you are "playing" and one you are "modifying". It is a little klugee to go back and forth but you can do it. However, even with the latest released beta (1.17) I tried modifying a downloaded course and seemed to be able to do so successfully, but when I went to play it, none of the targets, except for the green outlines, showed up and all distances to the greens read 999. They were working on a version 1.18 which has not been released even to the beta testers. I don't know if this solves the problem or not.

My opinion is that it isn't a kludge, but I understand why you might have this view. Once I load the course in for mapping - and this does take extra time, but I only do need to do it once per session - I find that it is VERY fast and easy to map while I am playing. But, like most things liket this, there is a learning curve. My frame of reference is the iGolf Caddie, which was so cumbersome to change from play to map and back to play, that you simply could not map a course as you play it (iGolf has fixed this with their latest units). I can easily map a course while I am playing it with the Golf Guru.

I'm having a little trouble mapping my first course (golf range) and saving the file. I've read the online manual a few times but I'm still obviously doing something wrong.

It's not clear to me from the manual, but does the "MARK" feature actually record your position, or the "SAVE" action? If you are preparing targets prior to a walk-through, do you initially "MARK" and then "SAVE" when you are actually standing next to the target, or vice-versa. I've saved a "green" on my driving range but my subsequent targets do not show up. I understand that you have to have a green saved before the hole can be saved.

Can someone write a simple "how-to" to save one green and one target? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

After killing myself doing research, I chose the Guru.

Plusses and minuses with all of the units I looked at, but the combination of features/price/flexibility/excellent Customer Service was about the best combo and helped my decision making.

Used it for the first time yesterday. I'm very happy with it and my course has been well mapped (showing a nice collection of hazards with to/clr designations). Saved me a couple of strokes yesterday and should do better once I get used to handling it and begin focusing on my game rather than the Guru.

The input on this forum was helpful (including the threads on the other products).

Once I get some experience with it, I'll try to add some specific info for others to see/use in their decision to buy or not.

pflogger - any update on how beta testing is going?

Well, I'll say the 2.0 utility works like a charm, but I never had any issues with the old utility. It does allow for consistent uploading of my user mapped courses.

I'm still using the 1.17 version of the software. I was able to regain use of a course I had modified using 1.14, and then it wouldn't show up on my play list, although, it was in the file management list. It works fine now.

I spotted a bug that I reported in 1.17 that only showed up if you were mapping a course and did not map the green on hole 1 (skipped it or started on some other hole). What I thought was strange, was if you skipped hole 1 in past versions, you could never get any later holes to show up unless you went back and mapped the green on hole 1. This time, however, I was able to see holes that were mapped without having mapped hole 1. It seems, that the Guru was creating a green for me on hole 1, although it had no data in it, so it didn't show up as a valid green. If you went back and tried to modify it, it wouldn't take, so hole 1 was no good. All other holes were fine, but what good is it if you can't get hole 1 to map out. This issue was not a problem on any other holes where you skipped mapping the green except for the first one.

Long story short...I received an email reply to an email I sent them on this issue. They were able to duplicate the issue, and, of course, will fix it. They mentioned they are internally testing 1.18 without this fix in it yet, so who knows what the next official release version will be. Other than this one issue, the 1.17 version seems pretty stable to me, and does everything I need with no problems. I have generated a couple of new course maps and edited a couple also, and so far so good. I didn't receive any information on when a new version is expected out (but I didn't ask). Overall, I'm still loving it!

There's a little bit of confusion as to the software versions. The beta Guru Utility, which is located on your computer, is now at version 2.0 and is stable. The GPS firmware is at 1.14 and you have the option to upgrade to beta 1.17 when you upgrade the Guru Utility to 2.0. I did that.

Beta Firmware 1.17 has known problems with green mapping (can't edit, '999s' etc.) but fixes other problems that I didn't experience. Firmware 1.17 will be upgraded to 2.00 by midweek to fix the bugs within 1.17, then all users will have the Guru Utility 2.0 and the Guru firmware upgrade to 2.00. I just hope they can keep the date promised to me on Friday. I don't know if the firmware 1.17 has any problems creating maps from scratch as I typically modify already downloaded maps.

I don't know if the newest software or utility works better but it seems like with my new Guru accuracy has improved. It was always good but now I have three bars if it is in my pocket or my bag. I usually had 2 or 3 bars (50-50) but now it is always 3 bars. Did the satellites improve recently?

Also has anyone ordered there targets? I did this after adding a target on one of my mapped course but then the course didn't work until I removed the order. The mapped courses from the company seem to work from the green out. In other words the first target is closest to the green working back to the tee. Is that how are supposed to be ordered? Because I did it the other way. Does it even matter if they are odered as it just picks up the closest target?

Hello Everyone,

I'm now part of the Golf Guru family and so far I'm very pleased.

I'll make sure to provide more input the further along I get.

For now, I do have a quick question for the community.

On the Guru Website it states you can keep score for multiple players and not just yourself.

Is this function not available yet or am I missing steps on how add players?

I couldn't find instructions online or on the downloaded guide.

Your help is appreciated...

I don't recall the site saying scoring for multiple players, and I could not find it with a quick look. There are some features planned that are not yet available, such as a "club distance" table (which, to me, sounds like something that would keep track of how far you hit each club).

There's a little bit of confusion as to the software versions. The beta Guru Utility, which is located on your computer, is now at version 2.0 and is stable. The GPS firmware is at 1.14 and you have the option to upgrade to beta 1.17 when you upgrade the Guru Utility to 2.0. I did that.

Beta Firmware 1.17 has known problems with green mapping (can't edit, '999s' etc.) but fixes other problems that I didn't experience. Firmware 1.17 will be upgraded to 2.00 by midweek to fix the bugs within 1.17, then all users will have the Guru Utility 2.0 and the Guru firmware upgrade to 2.00. I just hope they can keep the date promised to me on Friday. I don't know if the firmware 1.17 has any problems creating maps from scratch as I typically modify already downloaded maps.

Friday has passed, has the 2.0 firmware been released yet?