Most Overrated Course

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tegavah down in Arizona. I received multiple recommendations from members of this site and made it one of the two courses I played back in February on my vacation. The course had very little elevation change from shot to shot, and was in pretty bad condition compared to the other course I played in my trip.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

[quote name='MrTmag' timestamp='1439696351' post='12146102']
[quote name='oregongolf' timestamp='1439693581' post='12145904']
[quote name='MrTmag' timestamp='1439690372' post='12145550']
Augusta is a very overrated course in my opinion. I think it's image and history overshadow the actual course which isn't all that special in my eyes. I know it's on most golfers bucket list but I'd honestly decline the invitation to play there if I was ever offered.
[/quote]

Nice to see you back, JonesScott.
[/quote]
I'm serious I don't like the course like others don't like the various other courses mentioned.
[/quote]

You've played it how many times?

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1439403703' post='12124618']
most overrated that I have played is DragonRidge in Las Vegas. Apparently it is a private course that allows the public on with select tee times. Slow play. Stupid holes. I think we paid close to $250 to play it.... that is why it is overrated to me. I would go back but not for more than $100. Oh, and the $9 hotdogs were horrendous.
[/quote]

couldn't agree more!!!

Shocked to see both Old White and Torrey getting hated on. I've played the latter once and the former twice and would play either again in a heartbeat. I never had poor conditions at either place, and the shot values at both courses are excellent at almost every hole. Also surprised to see Paiute Wolf getting dissed. It's not at the level of the other two, but it was a fun day out from the strip. Tough, but fun.

It's surprising what people don't like, but then I had a boss many years ago who'd played both Augusta and Pine Valley and said neither was all that.

For me, the biggest let down at a big name course was Tobacco Road. I don't like courses where good shots get randomly punished. TR will take your good shots, cold c0ck them, and then curb stomp them into toothlessness.

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Taylormade M1 15º, 19° Matrix Black Tie S
Royal Collection BBD VS, Shimada S 4-P
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°

For Michigan I would say that Tullymore is the most overrated that I have played. It is consistently rated a top 10 course in Michigan by Golf Digest, but I just don't see it.

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link

[quote name='Hakko' timestamp='1439821846' post='12154146']
Shocked to see both Old White and Torrey getting hated on. I've played the latter once and the former twice and would play either again in a heartbeat. I never had poor conditions at either place, and the shot values at both courses are excellent at almost every hole. Also surprised to see Paiute Wolf getting dissed. It's not at the level of the other two, but it was a fun day out from the strip. Tough, but fun.

It's surprising what people don't like, but then I had a boss many years ago who'd played both Augusta and Pine Valley and said neither was all that.

For me, the biggest let down at a big name course was Tobacco Road. I don't like courses where good shots get randomly punished. TR will take your good shots, cold c0ck them, and then curb stomp them into toothlessness.
[/quote]

I played Old White and Greenbrier around the time Jim Justice took over. Maybe the poor condition was based on timing, I don't know. The fairways and a few greens were bare in places and several "dead trails" were left where mowing equipment had leaked hydraulic fluid. I have been told by friends I need to give them both another shot simply based on the courses being neglected prior to Mr. Justice taking over. I may someday but based on what it cost and course conditions the first time, I am not in a hurry.

I am in complete agreement with you concerning Tobacco Road. I have played it a few times and do not care for it at all.

[quote name='Gdane' timestamp='1439758158' post='12149234']
Tegavah down in Arizona. I received multiple recommendations from members of this site and made it one of the two courses I played back in February on my vacation. The course had very little elevation change from shot to shot, and was in pretty bad condition compared to the other course I played in my trip.
[/quote]

Funny! A course with some of the best views of the Verde Valley, excellent design, Elevation Change?-not sure how to even respond to that: A) why is that a factor? B) regardless, the elevation is subtle from one end of the course to another with ~350 feet in elevation change; bad condition - that is too bad you got those conditions, normally it is in great shape.....but since Jan they have been doing a lot of new work to the course and the area leading to some less than stellar conditions.

However, I am not sure how a $40-$70 course can be overrated?

[quote name='Sixcat' timestamp='1439822418' post='12154202']
[quote name='Hakko' timestamp='1439821846' post='12154146']

[/quote]

I played Old White and Greenbrier around the time Jim Justice took over. Maybe the poor condition was based on timing, I don't know. The fairways and a few greens were bare in places and several "dead trails" were left where mowing equipment had leaked hydraulic fluid. I have been told by friends I need to give them both another shot simply based on the courses being neglected prior to Mr. Justice taking over. I may someday but based on what it cost and course conditions the first time, I am not in a hurry.

I am in complete agreement with you concerning Tobacco Road. I have played it a few times and do not care for it at all.
[/quote]

Jim Justice has sunk a shipload of cash into his courses. I have had zero condition problems on all three Greenbrier courses in two visits there over the last 4 years. This July I played right after the tourney, and the only issue was temporary tees on one hole of the Meadows course because of structures for the tournament. The Meadows is really just for the views. as a course it's kind of a nothing burger. The Greenbrier Course is good, but it's not "special". Old White, OTOH, just gets better on replay, like many great classics.

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Taylormade M1 15º, 19° Matrix Black Tie S
Royal Collection BBD VS, Shimada S 4-P
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°

Get the pitch forks and torches ready, but if you're talking purely overrated I'd go Pine Valley. Is it a one of a kind golf experience? Absolutely. Does it deserve the ranking it has? I don't necessarily think so. There are some fantastic golf holes but there are some very mediocre holes as well. Would I turn down an invite? Absolutely not. But in my opinion there are better courses within an hours drive.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1439826533' post='12154634']
[quote name='Gdane' timestamp='1439758158' post='12149234']
[/quote]

Funny! A course with some of the best views of the Verde Valley, excellent design, Elevation Change?-not sure how to even respond to that: A) why is that a factor? B) regardless, the elevation is subtle from one end of the course to another with ~350 feet in elevation change; bad condition - that is too bad you got those conditions, normally it is in great shape.....but since Jan they have been doing a lot of new work to the course and the area leading to some less than stellar conditions.

However, I am not sure how a $40-$70 course can be overrated?
[/quote]

I paid $93 at the end of February to play at Tegavah. The lack of elevation change is a preference, as being from Chicago many of the courses I play close to home are fairly flat.

At the end I the day there weren't any memorable holes, and I drove back to Scottsdale wishing I would've played somewhere else.

Ping I3 2-PW Blue

I'm enjoying this thread!!!

I haven't played any courses that can compete with what some of you guys are mentioning but I hope to one day!!! Keep 'em coming!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1439862158' post='12158418']
Get the pitch forks and torches ready, but if you're talking purely overrated I'd go Pine Valley. Is it a one of a kind golf experience? Absolutely. Does it deserve the ranking it has? I don't necessarily think so. There are some fantastic golf holes but there are some very mediocre holes as well. Would I turn down an invite? Absolutely not. But in my opinion there are better courses within an hours drive.
[/quote]

Drudersh, I have heard this from other people as well. I don't think you're alone here.

For me, it's Merion. Same situation. Is it an amazing experience? Yes. Is the club amazing, and filled with great members? Sure is. Is it unsurpassed in pure golf history? Yup. Would I ever turn down an invite? Nope, and never have and never will. But gosh, top 5 course in the country? I don't know. I mean, when I think of absolute best on golf course experiences that I've had, Merion is not one of them. Maybe it's just that in 20+ rounds there I've never played well once... but every time i come up 18, all i think is "thank god this is over."

Now, most underrated? Bayonne. I think some of the old guard thinks its gimmicky and overrated, but gosh it is such an incredible experience. Baltusrol is up there for most underrated too; I know it's a top 25 course in the country, but it's so, so, so great.

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

I'm throwing Tullymore under the bus as well. Hole after hole I kept waiting for it to turn into a Top 20 course in US. Don't get me wrong... I played it on 2 separate occasions, so I did go back, but in Michigan I can name 5 or 6 better courses off the top of my head.

*EDIT*

In Michigan I believe it is legal to be shot for this, but I left Forest Dunes about 5 holes from finishing what would have been a 6 hour round.... I had enough.....wont go back if I have to pay.

R9 460 10.5 L flex 46"

COBRA Baffler XL 17* FW
COBRA Baffler XL 22* 25* 28* hybrids
Hand ground Bazooka QLS 7-PW

Component Wedges 50* 54* 60* 63*
(hand grinds) torched 

Heavy Putter B2m 38" Ust FF shaft
Rife Switchback XL (custom long neck) 34" UST FF 

[quote name='LansingMI' timestamp='1439931221' post='12164138']

*EDIT*

In Michigan I believe it is legal to be shot for this, but I left Forest Dunes about 5 holes from finishing what would have been a 6 hour round.... I had enough.....wont go back if I have to pay.
[/quote]

That is blasphemy sir! Did you really not enjoy the course? Or was it mainly the slow play that turned you off? I guess I have been fortunate that I haven't been involved any long rounds there but it is my top 3 in the state that I have played.

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
Scotty Cameron GoLo
WITB Link

Tullymore sure does get a lot of bad press on this site. I played two years ago, and like many others wasn't blown away. Of the 4 courses I played on that trip, I actually enjoyed Bucks Run the most.

Ping I3 2-PW Blue

[quote name='Sir Larry Wildman' timestamp='1439931156' post='12164126'][quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1439862158' post='12158418']
[/quote]

Drudersh, I have heard this from other people as well. I don't think you're alone here.

For me, it's Merion. Same situation. Is it an amazing experience? Yes. Is the club amazing, and filled with great members? Sure is. Is it unsurpassed in pure golf history? Yup. Would I ever turn down an invite? Nope, and never have and never will. But gosh, top 5 course in the country? I don't know. I mean, when I think of absolute best on golf course experiences that I've had, Merion is not one of them. Maybe it's just that in 20+ rounds there I've never played well once... but every time i come up 18, all i think is "thank god this is over."

Now, most underrated? Bayonne. I think some of the old guard thinks its gimmicky and overrated, but gosh it is such an incredible experience. Baltusrol is up there for most underrated too; I know it's a top 25 course in the country, but it's so, so, so great.[/quote]
Merion???? Wow can't disagree more. That place is puuuuure

[quote name='Sir Larry Wildman' timestamp='1439931156' post='12164126']
[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1439862158' post='12158418']
[/quote]

Now, most underrated? Bayonne. I think some of the old guard thinks its gimmicky and overrated, but gosh it is such an incredible experience. Baltusrol is up there for most underrated too; I know it's a top 25 course in the country, but it's so, so, so great.
[/quote]

I've yet to play any golf in that immediate NYC area, but maybe it's time I made an effort. I do like links style courses, and Bayonne looks pretty cool. This is the first time I've ever voiced my feelings about PV, but I don't like the double green hole where the greens are 10 feet wide, it's just kind of silly. The tee shot on #4 is goofy, the 11th tee shot is goofy, 13 is just an OK hole. Though I will say 14-18 is a fantastic finish.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='Gdane' timestamp='1439956371' post='12167094']
Tullymore sure does get a lot of bad press on this site. I played two years ago, and like many others wasn't blown away. Of the 4 courses I played on that trip, I actually enjoyed Bucks Run the most.
[/quote]

Bucks Run is nice. Short, but nice. Please tell me you didn't play Pohl Cat while you were in Mt. Pleasant. Now that's a course I will NEVER play again. One of the worst courses I've ever stepped foot on.

I actually don't mind Tullymore. It's a far better course than St. Ives. St. Ives is terrible. Not sure what anyone sees in that place. Tullymore was better manicured, has a better layout, and is more challenging.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1439936726' post='12164868']
*EDIT*

[/quote]

That is blasphemy sir! Did you really not enjoy the course? Or was it mainly the slow play that turned you off? I guess I have been fortunate that I haven't been involved any long rounds there but it is my top 3 in the state that I have played.
[/quote]

MaxPower328, what's your top 3? I grew up in MI and am always curious what a top 3 would look like for others.

For me in the state of MI:

1. Arcadia
2. Battle Creek CC
3. Pilgrims Run

Haven't played Forest Dunes yet. Also hear how amazing Kingsley Club is, but haven't played there either.

TaylorMade TP5x 

[quote name='MichiganMan' timestamp='1439990824' post='12168506']
*EDIT*

[/quote]

[/quote]

MaxPower328, what's your top 3? I grew up in MI and am always curious what a top 3 would look like for others.

1. Arcadia
2. Battle Creek CC
3. Pilgrims Run

Haven't played Forest Dunes yet. Also hear how amazing Kingsley Club is, but haven't played there either.
[/quote]

My top 3 is Oakland Hills South, Forest Dunes and Kingsley Club. I can't rank them 1-3 because I like them all for different reasons. I haven't played Arcadia, Harbor Shores, and some other courses but am hoping to soon.

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
Scotty Cameron GoLo
WITB Link

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1439991315' post='12168572']
[quote name='MichiganMan' timestamp='1439990824' post='12168506']
*EDIT*

[/quote]

[/quote]

1. Arcadia
2. Battle Creek CC
3. Pilgrims Run

[/quote]

My top 3 is Oakland Hills South, Forest Dunes and Kingsley Club. I can't rank them 1-3 because I like them all for different reasons. I haven't played Arcadia, Harbor Shores, and some other courses but am hoping to soon.
[/quote]

That's a pretty damn impressive top 3. I've played Harbor Shores and while nice, I was a little underwhelmed.

TaylorMade TP5x