GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won an auction for one on Monday. They shipped it that day, and it should arrive this Friday by UPS ground.

When I spoke to them for payment and shipping details I was told that the Ebay auctions were considered a form of advertising for them.

I currently have a Sky Caddie SG-5, which I am pleased with, and recently gave the Upro a try, but returned it after a few sessions. I didn't like the display outdoors, and a fully charged battery only lasted 9 holes among other things. That little trial cost me a restocking fee, and the loss of my course subsciption, total = $120.00. So, those of you who are pissed you didn't get your shipping costs back, I have little sympathy.

I'll try and give a side by side comparison of the SG-5 and the Guru as soon as it arrives and I can get some course time in on it. I also have requested 2 local courses to be mapped that are not currently on the list.

For the record, I am a gadget junkie, and will also probably buy the next "Latest & Greatest" golf GPS also.

I won an auction for one on Monday. They shipped it that day, and it should arrive this Friday by UPS ground.

When I spoke to them for payment and shipping details I was told that the Ebay auctions were considered a form of advertising for them.

I currently have a Sky Caddie SG-5, which I am pleased with, and recently gave the Upro a try, but returned it after a few sessions. I didn't like the display outdoors, and a fully charged battery only lasted 9 holes among other things. That little trial cost me a restocking fee, and the loss of my course subsciption, total = $120.00. So, those of you who are pissed you didn't get your shipping costs back, I have little sympathy.

I'll try and give a side by side comparison of the SG-5 and the Guru as soon as it arrives and I can get some course time in on it. I also have requested 2 local courses to be mapped that are not currently on the list.

For the record, I am a gadget junkie, and will also probably buy the next "Latest & Greatest" golf GPS also.

Thats funny that your UPRO ran out of battery after 9 holes, something must of been wrong with it. I just picked one up and played a 5.5 hour 18 hole round with the UPRO and still had 40% battery left after? Dont see how you can get better than the UPRO.

Regarding the Upro display, I had the brightness on high, and was trying to keep the display visible so I could compare it to the SG-5 during my round.

I took the Guru out today to run side by side with the SG-5, and got in a very long 9 holes. I was a single behind a 4some at the end of some little tournament, and I replayed at least 4-5 holes, and was playing 2 balls, so I did about 27 holes total.

Sometimes the measurements were exactly the same, sometimes there was about 5-6 yards difference between the two units. I'll need to try a few more courses to render some sort of opinion. I do like the display on the SG-5 under all conditions better than the Guru, but that's to be expected due to the backlight and color screen.

I tried to update my software using the current utility, but it states my version (1.14) is current. What's the procedure to load the updates?

Never mind, I found it under "Download Utility".

Just to be clear, it's not as easy as firing up your current version and having the Utility automatically update. There are a number of steps to the process:

1. Go to Guru website to download the latest version of the utility.

1. You need to go to www.gpsgolfguru.com, Support, Update & then Download Guru Utility
    2. Save the utility somewhere on your computer that you can find later

[*]Uninstall the current utility by Going to your Start/Programs/Golf Guru/Uninstall Utility

[*]Reinstall the new utility by going to Windows Explorer and finding the file that you previously downloaded and clicking on it to install.

[*]Run the new utility from your desktop (click on Guru Utility Icon)

[*]Connect your Guru to your computer and update to the latest firmware (1.18 in this case)

[*]Reset your Guru (press any key after firmware is updated)

[*]Allow your Guru to Sync up with all of your Courses, etc

That's it !! You're ready to play now !

Regarding the Upro display, I had the brightness on high, and was trying to keep the display visible so I could compare it to the SG-5 during my round.

I took the Guru out today to run side by side with the SG-5, and got in a very long 9 holes. I was a single behind a 4some at the end of some little tournament, and I replayed at least 4-5 holes, and was playing 2 balls, so I did about 27 holes total.

Sometimes the measurements were exactly the same, sometimes there was about 5-6 yards difference between the two units. I'll need to try a few more courses to render some sort of opinion. I do like the display on the SG-5 under all conditions better than the Guru, but that's to be expected due to the backlight and color screen.

I paid $220 for my Guru including S&H. No course fees either. Gets the job done in a nice small package. Why would you compare it with a unit that cost $430 and $50/year ?? That's like comparing a Lexus to a Civic. If you can afford the Lexus and enjoy the features, buy it. If you just want a basic car, buy the Civic. Both will get you where you want to go. :jester:

puckcoach3,

quote:

"I paid $220 for my Guru including S&H. No course fees either. Gets the job done in a nice small package. Why would you compare it with a unit that cost $430 and $50/year ?? That's like comparing a Lexus to a Civic. If you can afford the Lexus and enjoy the features, buy it. If you just want a basic car, buy the Civic. Both will get you where you want to go."

I am more concerned with accuracy and features than with price. As an owner of one of the better known golf GPS products, it seemed reasonable to me to offer my observation of a discrepancy in distances between the units.

In a previous post I stated that I have a Leica CRF 1200 rangefinder, and that it's published specs are +/- 1 yard up to 400 yards. I have tested it against my SG-5 and they are consistently no more than a yard or rarely 2 yards different on the 6-8 courses I've used it on. Due to this comparison, I believe the SG-5 to have approximately the same accuracy as the Leica for the distances involved. I have only tried the Guru on one course, and only on 9 holes at that time.

My post may have been premature, but I do not recall anyone doing a distance comparison with the Guru, so I thought it may have been food for thought.

Once we update to the new version do we have to download the courses again, and will we loose any targets or greens that have been modified for downloaded courses? Also did they give us the ability of scoring for more than 1 player? I'm a little leary of updateing untill we know what the benifits of updateing are.

It will automatically download the same courses you had before the update but I don't know about modifications that you may have done. The Utility has a different look to it -- a little more windows looking than like an old DOS window. Functionally, it seemed the same to me. I'm not sure what is different about 1.18 vs. 1.14. Maybe one of the beta guys can shed some light.

Can anyone with version 1.18 verify that they can add a new green to an existing course?

Still looking for a response to my question above. I'm concerned that my currently loaded 1.18 is still the old BETA version and not the released 1.18.

I know that when I made some modifications to an existing course using BETA 1.18, I lost the new features going back to 1.14 when I tried to map a green. I don't know if changes made using 1.14 are lost going to 1.18.

A lot of the greesn came up with 999 to center of green.

Yes, I have that problem too. I don't know what the problems were with 1.14, but, for me, 1.14 allows me to modify greens and add targets, which 1.18 will not allow me to do (modify greens).

1.18 should not have been released until it was functionally as good as 1.14.

I just got my guru on Monday so I decided to go out and have some fun today...went to a big field near work and created a fake course...made one of the baseball diamonds a green. Then I walked out about 150 yards or so and measured some shots basically creating a golf course.

Pretty sweet to be able to measure my shots without trying to pace stuff off. I can't wait to get this thing out on the course.

I took my guru out for the first time today and even though I played like absolute dog poo I love this thing. I do have one question...I saved my score and loved the stats feature but dumbly when I got home said 'upload score' even though I had not yet signed up with isaacgolf.com

now I can't find the stats or that scorecard in the golf guru...is that card gone?

I'll call support tomorrow if nobody knows but thanks in advance...

I've had such poor success and wasted time trying to map an entire course with all previous versions that I won't try to do it again until I see an official release of a version that says the issues have been corrected. What I may try to do this coming weekend is modify a downloaded course. Last time I tries that (with 1.17) I got the 999 to all the greens on all holes, even though I only modified a few points on a few holes. Version 1.19 is supposedly looking "very good".

Do not know about current 1.18 version - Bur you do not "loose" your score - it is kept in a daily file & when you upload - It puts the scores into your GURU file on your PC in xml file. You can open with text editor to see it. See post #321 on page 9 on how to access the scores, add'l in . They are in an XML:

Example of code below: Your Score, Num storkes, FIR, GIR, Numputts is all there by day of play (if multiple days - time coded also)

<hole5>

<par>4</par>

<yards></yards>

<handicap></handicap>

<numstrokes>4</numstrokes>

<driveinfairway>1</driveinfairway>

<drivedistance></drivedistance>

<fairwaymiss></fairwaymiss>

<greeninregulation>1</greeninregulation>

<girmissshortlong></girmissshortlong>

<girmissleftright></girmissleftright>

<numchips></numchips>