New Wilson 50 Elite.

Minarets

Always liked Wilson staff and the 50 elite is even better than expected. I am between 12 and 15 handicap throughtout the year. I always preferred a 2 piece ball. Always played q stars because of spin and feel off the putter. I found the 50s to be an even better ball at half the price

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I made the full time switch to the 50 elite.. the blems from budget golf are too good of a deal to pass up.
The last two weeks I had a face off, 50 vs duo, and the 50 won hands down. The spin I get on approach is almost as good as my old XV.
Amazing bargain for $.65/ball.. I bought 8 doz and am thinking of getting more.

[quote name='kabal57' timestamp='1439604860' post='12140386']
well I made the full time switch to the 50 elite.. the blems from budget golf are too good of a deal to pass up.
The last two weeks I had a face off, 50 vs duo, and the 50 won hands down. The spin I get on approach is almost as good as my old XV.
Amazing bargain for $.65/ball.. I bought 8 doz and am thinking of getting more.
[/quote]

Interesting. I'm currently playing Duo, but was thinking about trying 50 elite. Def a bargain at that price.

Played a couple of them yesterday. I've been playing the q stars picked up some really cheap and it might be the worst ball ever. 50 felt softer but like I said it was pretty wet the only concern is that I couldn't hit it anywhere off the tee. I didn't get any roll because of the course being wet. Gonna try them again today

Alternated holes with the 50 Elite and the Callaway Chrome Soft just last week.

Without looking at the markings I couldn't tell much difference. A $1 ball vs. a $3 ball is a no-brainer.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Can't say it enough. Best ball.

If I had to complain, I hate the graphics. Couldn't care less for the price and performance. If it looked like the FG TOUR I'd have nothing else to say or want in a ball.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Purchased these balls for my 12 year old son. Thought it would be perfect for him considering price, performance and feel. Turns out it might be the perfect ball for me for exactly the same reasons. Driver carry seems to be on par with the Callaway Supersoft but with less roll. Distance with the irons is also on par with the Supersoft but with less roll. Just seems like the perfect blend of spin and distance for my game.

Oh, and I wish their yellow ones looked more like the Z Star yellow and not the dull yellow that they are.

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1439753038' post='12148766']
Can't say it enough. Best ball.

If I had to complain, I hate the graphics. Couldn't care less for the price and performance. If it looked like the FG TOUR I'd have nothing else to say or want in a ball.
[/quote]

Yep. Just an unbelievable ball for the price.

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1439762215' post='12149712']
Oh, and I wish their yellow ones looked more like the Z Star yellow and not the dull yellow that they are.
[/quote]Love the Cally yellow, then the DT solo yellow. Not crazy for the translucent yellows out there.

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I'll bite and give these a shot in yellow since i'm going to play in a course where i'm hitting a lot of blind shots over the trees to shortcut some of the par 4 doglegs.

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

Just a followup for me with the 50's. Currently I am playing 2 types of golf balls. The 50's and the Gamer Soft's. I have been alternating back and forth and until my last 2 rounds I preferred the 50.

I came from the Cally Supersoft then I saw the Gamer Soft's were BOGO so I grabbed a bunch of them. Then my wife bought me a few dozen 50's at Wally World for $10 a dozen so I had a nice little stash.
I played the 50's first and fell in love with them. Then I tried the Gamer Soft's and liked them also. Right now I have both in my bag and I am not sure which one I prefer. They both cost around $20 per 2 dozen with the Gamer's being BOGO right now at $19.99.

One thing I noticed about the 50's is they seem shorter then the Gamer's off my driver... However... Off my 8-9-PW they are longer. It might just be my current swing but that's what I have noticed. I was 10-15 yards long with my PW and the 50's.

I still love the 50's and I have a nice stock built up. I did the same thing last year with the SuperSoft's. I think when I have a bad round I blame it on the ball instead of the golfer.

To end my rant... Right now It's either the 50 or the Gamer soft that gets used by me. Great ball for the price.

[quote name='castroyyy' timestamp='1440073071' post='12175148']
Just a followup for me with the 50's. Currently I am playing 2 types of golf balls. The 50's and the Gamer Soft's. I have been alternating back and forth and until my last 2 rounds I preferred the 50.

I came from the Cally Supersoft then I saw the Gamer Soft's were BOGO so I grabbed a bunch of them. Then my wife bought me a few dozen 50's at Wally World for $10 a dozen so I had a nice little stash.
I played the 50's first and fell in love with them. Then I tried the Gamer Soft's and liked them also. Right now I have both in my bag and I am not sure which one I prefer. They both cost around $20 per 2 dozen with the Gamer's being BOGO right now at $19.99.

One thing I noticed about the 50's is they seem shorter then the Gamer's off my driver... However... Off my 8-9-PW they are longer. It might just be my current swing but that's what I have noticed. I was 10-15 yards long with my PW and the 50's.

I still love the 50's and I have a nice stock built up. I did the same thing last year with the SuperSoft's. I think when I have a bad round I blame it on the ball instead of the golfer.

To end my rant... Right now It's either the 50 or the Gamer soft that gets used by me. Great ball for the price.
[/quote]

I agree with your assessment. But even at this level there still seems to be a compromise of length vs spin. I just find the 50 to be the perfect ball that is "just" long enough and "just" spins enough. I hit the Callaway Supersoft longer with the driver but there's just a bit too much roll with my approach shots for my liking. I'm actually working on my mechanics off the tee to recover the 10 to 20 yards that I'm losing in order to play a ball that actually holds the green at a very good price point. The 50 for me sits right in-between the Project (a) and the Supersoft.

I agree with your comments towards the Supersoft. I was happy when my ball started going straighter then it ever did however it rolled like crazy. And.. I never liked it off the putter. Now let's be clear here... I am not a great golfer to say the least but I have improved from a 120+ player to right around 100 or so in the past 2 years. I can play bogey golf most of the day and then have 2 blowup holes and its over.
My goal is to get to 90 and I can honestly say it will happen soon. I have been close a few times but once I have that bad hole I can't shake it off and boom... There goes that round.

So while I loved the Supersoft last year I don't this year. The 50's play awesome for me except for the slightly shorter drives compared to the Gamer Soft's. However, I still get an occasional wicked slice with the Gamer's that I haven't quite had with the 50's.

All in all I still love the 50's. It's a fantastic ball. My buddy who is probably a +8 or so golfer needed a ball and I tossed him a 50. He couldn't believe how much he liked it but he did say after 3 holes that he wasn't hitting his drives as far. He is a slow swinger like me but normally we drive the same distances.

I saw these at my local Scheels the other day and noticed that i have seen people post about them. And for $12? Thats nuts. But what urethane ball would you compare these too? I play the Project (a) and love the amount of spin i get and how these stop on the green. Im just nervous to try a two piece surlyn ball because I dont feel i will get the same spin as with the PA.

[quote name='CBECH22' timestamp='1440081880' post='12175946']
I saw these at my local Scheels the other day and noticed that i have seen people post about them. And for $12? Thats nuts. But what urethane ball would you compare these too? I play the Project (a) and love the amount of spin i get and how these stop on the green. Im just nervous to try a two piece surlyn ball because I dont feel i will get the same spin as with the PA.
[/quote]

Won't spin quite as much as the Project (a) but you might be pleasantly surprised. At that price, what have you got to lose?

[quote name='dciccoritti' timestamp='1440082354' post='12176014']
[/quote]

Won't spin quite as much as the Project (a) but you might be pleasantly surprised. At that price, what have you got to lose?
[/quote]

Thats so true. Ill probably go pick up a dozen here real quick and give them a try.

[quote name='CBECH22' timestamp='1440083154' post='12176104']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats so true. Ill probably go pick up a dozen here real quick and give them a try.
[/quote]

I found the Project (a)'s a little too spinny for my liking on shorter shots.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1440116077' post='12179694']
[quote name='CBECH22' timestamp='1440083154' post='12176104']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I found the Project (a)'s a little too spinny for my liking on shorter shots.
[/quote]

See I dont think i generate enough spin and thats why the PA helps me so much. I get them instantly to stop and i am afraid to pick up a dozen of these and have roll out that im not used too.

[/quote]

The 50 Elites are the only ball I'll play now and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the spin if you give them a shot. I'd say 5 iron thru 7 they hop and stop, 8 and 9 irons drop and stop, and PW thru LW they usually land and creep back a few inches, and we've had a really hot and dry summer here in South Carolina so that just says that much more about their performance to me. For reference I use 5-LW Callaway XR irons, graphite shafts so its not like I'm using aggressive grooves to spin the ball in my wedges. I read these boards like crazy but rarely post but I had to give the 50 Elites their props.

[quote name='ShermanKlump' timestamp='1440131483' post='12181034']
[/quote]

The 50 Elites are the only ball I'll play now and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the spin if you give them a shot. I'd say 5 iron thru 7 they hop and stop, 8 and 9 irons drop and stop, and PW thru LW they usually land and creep back a few inches, and we've had a really hot and dry summer here in South Carolina so that just says that much more about their performance to me. For reference [color=#b22222][size=5]I use 5-LW Callaway XR irons[/size][/color], graphite shafts so its not like I'm using aggressive grooves to spin the ball in my wedges. I read these boards like crazy but rarely post but I had to give the 50 Elites their props.
[/quote]

(Off topic)

Don't you just love those XR irons. They have changed my game for the (way) better. Hope you found the same.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

[/quote]

The 50 Elites are the only ball I'll play now and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the spin if you give them a shot. I'd say 5 iron thru 7 they hop and stop, 8 and 9 irons drop and stop, and PW thru LW they usually land and creep back a few inches, and we've had a really hot and dry summer here in South Carolina so that just says that much more about their performance to me. For reference I use 5-LW Callaway XR irons, graphite shafts so its not like I'm using aggressive grooves to spin the ball in my wedges. I read these boards like crazy but rarely post but I had to give the 50 Elites their props.
[/quote]

Well i appreciate your input on the ball. I have been looking all arund these boards about this ball and i have beard nothing but good remarks about it. I just cant wrap my head around a ball that retails for $1 being as good as everyone says, but literally everyne says its good. So im gunna go pick up a dozen today and see how they perform. Thank you!

I just got a dozen shipped from Amazon. Dimple design is very unique. Hopefully it doesn't feel like I'm hitting a rock.

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1440165274' post='12182174']
[/quote]

The 50 Elites are the only ball I'll play now and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the spin if you give them a shot. I'd say 5 iron thru 7 they hop and stop, 8 and 9 irons drop and stop, and PW thru LW they usually land and creep back a few inches, and we've had a really hot and dry summer here in South Carolina so that just says that much more about their performance to me. For reference [color=#b22222][size=5]I use 5-LW Callaway XR irons[/size][/color], graphite shafts so its not like I'm using aggressive grooves to spin the ball in my wedges. I read these boards like crazy but rarely post but I had to give the 50 Elites their props.
[/quote]

(Off topic)

Don't you just love those XR irons. They have changed my game for the (way) better. Hope you found the same.
[/quote]

Absolutely love them, yesterday was my 2nd round with them and shot my best round ever with them. Shot a 97, first time I ever broke 100, I was so happy man. I was also very impressed with how good the SW was out of the sand.

[quote name='ph00ny' timestamp='1440179653' post='12183886']I just got a dozen shipped from Amazon. Dimple design is very unique. Hopefully it doesn't feel like I'm hitting a rock.[/quote]

I assure you they will feel nothing like hitting a rock. They are one of, if not the softest ball you'll find. They feel like you are hitting it flush with every club. I just bought some orange ones to try out as I have never tried an orange ball.

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1440189881' post='12184898']
[quote name='ph00ny' timestamp='1440179653' post='12183886']I just got a dozen shipped from Amazon. Dimple design is very unique. Hopefully it doesn't feel like I'm hitting a rock.[/quote]

I assure you they will feel nothing like hitting a rock. They are one of, if not the softest ball you'll find. They feel like you are hitting it flush with every club. I just bought some orange ones to try out as I have never tried an orange ball.
[/quote]

Funny because I just picked up a couple of boxes today and decided to try orange having never tried that colour before.

Jebus. I just tried them on the practice putting green at home and these are ridiculous soft. It's like nothing i've ever putt before. Not sure how i'm going to like it on the real putting green but wow