New Wilson 50 Elite.

Minarets

[quote name='dciccoritti' timestamp='1440195523' post='12185452'][quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1440189881' post='12184898']
[quote name='ph00ny' timestamp='1440179653' post='12183886']I just got a dozen shipped from Amazon. Dimple design is very unique. Hopefully it doesn't feel like I'm hitting a rock.[/quote]

I assure you they will feel nothing like hitting a rock. They are one of, if not the softest ball you'll find. They feel like you are hitting it flush with every club. I just bought some orange ones to try out as I have never tried an orange ball.
[/quote]

Funny because I just picked up a couple of boxes today and decided to try orange having never tried that colour before.[/quote]

Just tried the orange ones playing nine holes. As the ball is in flight I had a tougher time seeing it. When looking for it among the grass/trees/rough/weeds it was way easier to see/find.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dciccoritti' timestamp='1440195523' post='12185452']
[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1440189881' post='12184898']
[quote name='ph00ny' timestamp='1440179653' post='12183886']I just got a dozen shipped from Amazon. Dimple design is very unique. Hopefully it doesn't feel like I'm hitting a rock.[/quote]

I assure you they will feel nothing like hitting a rock. They are one of, if not the softest ball you'll find. They feel like you are hitting it flush with every club. I just bought some orange ones to try out as I have never tried an orange ball.
[/quote]

Funny because I just picked up a couple of boxes today and decided to try orange having never tried that colour before.
[/quote]

With fall coming, I'm tempted to buy a dozen of the hot pink version of the 50 elites. Seems like it would be very easy to find among the leaves.

[quote name='ballneverlistens' timestamp='1440214982' post='12187202']

[/quote]

Funny because I just picked up a couple of boxes today and decided to try orange having never tried that colour before.
[/quote]

With fall coming, I'm tempted to buy a dozen of the hot pink version of the 50 elites. Seems like it would be very easy to find among the leaves.
[/quote]I found this to be true with my experiences. Used to think yellow was the easiest to see amongst the leaves, but pink is the better choice. The pink for the 50s look more like raspberry!? lol

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='ShermanKlump' timestamp='1440182097' post='12184150']
[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1440165274' post='12182174']
[quote name='ShermanKlump' timestamp='1440131483' post='12181034']
[quote name='CBECH22' timestamp='1440081880' post='12175946']
I saw these at my local Scheels the other day and noticed that i have seen people post about them. And for $12? Thats nuts. But what urethane ball would you compare these too? I play the Project (a) and love the amount of spin i get and how these stop on the green. Im just nervous to try a two piece surlyn ball because I dont feel i will get the same spin as with the PA.
[/quote]

The 50 Elites are the only ball I'll play now and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the spin if you give them a shot. I'd say 5 iron thru 7 they hop and stop, 8 and 9 irons drop and stop, and PW thru LW they usually land and creep back a few inches, and we've had a really hot and dry summer here in South Carolina so that just says that much more about their performance to me. For reference [color=#b22222][size=5]I use 5-LW Callaway XR irons[/size][/color], graphite shafts so its not like I'm using aggressive grooves to spin the ball in my wedges. I read these boards like crazy but rarely post but I had to give the 50 Elites their props.
[/quote]

(Off topic)

Don't you just love those XR irons. They have changed my game for the (way) better. Hope you found the same.
[/quote]

Absolutely love them, yesterday was my 2nd round with them and shot my best round ever with them. Shot a 97, first time I ever broke 100, I was so happy man. I was also very impressed with how good the SW was out of the sand.
[/quote]

Congrats on breaking 100 for the first time !

[quote name='ballneverlistens' timestamp='1440214982' post='12187202'][quote name='dciccoritti' timestamp='1440195523' post='12185452']

[/quote]

[/quote]

With fall coming, I'm tempted to buy a dozen of the hot pink version of the 50 elites. Seems like it would be very easy to find among the leaves.[/quote]

I haven't seen the pink ones. I think I would have tried them over the Orange. I love yellow but hate the Wilson yellow. Isn't bright enough for me. I love the older zstar highlighter color. Im an Auburn fan but not an orange fan, in general. At least these are more auburn Orange than UT orange.

I will add, I too thought the yellow would be easy to see among the leaves during fall and found out quickly that isn't the case. Just as hard to find as the whites, IMO. I do pal on using the Orange or pink come fall.

Decided to buy a dozen off some recommendations on this thread. Played solo at a local executive course to compare the differences from my usual Callaway Diablo Tour and the WS 50's. I have to say I was surprised at how well the ball performed and felt off every club. Stuck on the greens from 200+ yards and were controlled on shorter chips / pitches. Excited to tee them up again soon!

Thank you very much! It was a very big moment for me and a long time coming, it was usually just a few bad chips here or there or a few close putts sliding by that kept me from finally breaking through. I knew there was a chance when me and my buddy pulled off 18 and into the parking lot to add up our scores but when he showed me it was such a huge confidence boost because I know I can do much better than the 97 I managed on Thursday.

I've never seen the Wilson Staff pink in person but the Bridgestone pink is super easy to spot in the rough or the leaves in the fall and winter. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I have to use either White or Pink in the fall or winter, if I don't hit the fairway when the leaves are on the ground I can't find a yellow or orange to save my life. I prefer to use yellow or white in the spring or summer, it mainly just depends on what Walmart has in stock which is the only store I can find the new 50 Elites in around here other than Golfsmith which is a hour or more trip for me to Greenville depending on the traffic.

Not sure if you are an Amazon Prime member to get free shipping, but here is a link to several kinds of Wilson balls including the 50 Elite.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dsports-and-fitness&field-keywords=wilson+50+elite+golf+balls&sprefix=wilson+50+%2Caps%2C492"]http://www.amazon.co...son 50 ,aps,492[/url]

Maybe the cost of driving to a retailer vs. shipping costs can be figured into the buying decision. Yellow is the least expensive by just a bit.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Wow, loved the Orange. Never thought I would. Totally surprised me.

After all the positive talk here I picked up a dozen of the Wilson 50 elite. For the past few years I have been playing what is left of my stock of TM Penta and Lethal balls. However stock is running low and I am looking for a good ball to move to. I was pleasantly surprised by this Wilson 50 ball. It has good feel off the irons and with the putter and it was decent off the tee. I did notice that my irons shaved it a few times. I would not consider my old Ping S58s ball shredders but a few times I noticed some shavings in my grooves and the ball had a few hanging from it, but I didn't notice anything that would deem the ball unplayable. The ball puts nice, feels good off the wedges and stops quick. I wouldn't say I am zipping anything back but a few trickled back a few inches on me. I would say the premium balls have this by 5 or more yards off the tee and I did notice some wind influence on the ball, iron distances with this ball are similar with no noticeable distance loss, wedge play is acceptable and the ball feels good off the putter. Am I ready to call this is my everyday gamer, not yet, but it's worth another look and at $12.00 a dozen its gonna get another round or two.

I have to say i'm very suprised by the performance of the ball. I was struggling to hit the ball well (I've been in and out of the can since 5 in the morning and couldn't even eat breakfast before the morning outing)

Distance - Long off the tee and didn't see a single shot balloon even with a wind to the face with both iron and driver. It was a nice long boring ball flight with a driver and even with the fairway a little wet in the early part of the round, i didn't see the ball land and hop back a pace or two like it did last week. Iron shots were also long but within range of other balls that i've played recently (Snell MTB, Callaway Chrome Soft, Callaway Super Soft, Titleist ProV1/X).

Feel - It is the softest ball that I've hit in a long long time. Driver, 3 wood, irons, putter Even on poor shots it didn't send shockwave through the club. Even sounded slightly muted than usual

Spin - I didn't have anything roll back but like i said i was struggling. Most of the shots into the green were pretty much fly, land, nothing, fly, land, nothing. Course i played required a lot of shot placing from the tee and one of the hole left me with just over 195 to the center of the green with the flag in the back left corner with bunker guarding the front left due to poorly hit tee shot. I hit it pure with a 6 iron and i was worried that it may not stop but it landed and stuck around 12 to 14 ft away from the cup on the low side. Pretty much all of my shots into the green and stuck. Even from a few pitch shots from 40 ~ 70 yards all landed and stopped without rolling on the green.

Durability - This ball is tough. It may be from the fact that i'm not playing non-conforming groove wedges anymore but not much damage to the ball. I hit one ball from 1~14 and nada on the damage. Maybe the sparkling neon green color contributed to it but i couldn't find any visible damage other than a feint scratch like mark

Putting - I struggled to adjust to the firming green in the later in the round. It's probably me more than the ball but lack of feedback was making it harder to adjust. It did feel good but i ended up leaving a lot of putts shorter than where i wanted.

I think between this and the supersoft, i would take this but over MTB, that's a tough call (MTB can spin like there is no tomorrow).
I'm going to try the 50 in another round and see how it works out. Hopefully i can fully test the spin capability

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

[quote name='ballneverlistens' timestamp='1440214982' post='12187202']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Your results may be different, but I found that the pink balls blended in with the leaves. Seems like they should stand out, but I'm guessing the properties of the color are close to those of natural colors for that time of year - orange, yellow, even light brown. And, perhaps Wilson's pink is more "neon" than the ones I tried.

I forgot to add one interesting find with 50. My playing partner with much slower swing than i do hit a sort of a knuckle ball on his first tee shot with the 50.

One thing to note about his typical drive vs mine is that i hit them much much higher and further. I have a later release as well

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

I've weighed in on this thread before. If it weren't for this thread I would have never given these balls a try. I mean really can a ball at this price really be good? I am glad to have been proved wrong. To be honest, the only folks I can kind of understand not trying the ball are those that are urethane only players (I am still very surprised at this spin on this ball though). I think anyone playing a 2 piece non-urethane ball other than this ball is throwing money away. But, I guess that's okay because that means there are more for the rest of us :pimp:

[quote name='Choclab' timestamp='1440530896' post='12207008']Okay, it's about time to shut down this thread before Wilson sees it...[/quote]

Agreed

The old has the "W/S" shield logo on it. The new one has some modern print with numbers in the 50's and no shield logo.

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1440606474' post='12212264']
The old has the "W/S" shield logo on it. The new one has some modern print with numbers in the 50's and no shield logo.
[/quote]

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='BlazeOC' timestamp='1440622848' post='12214026']
Is there a performance difference between the two
[/quote]

I haven't really noticed anything that I can think of, I like the look of the new on better though.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1440616950' post='12213348'][quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1440606474' post='12212264']
[/quote][/quote]

Thanks

[quote name='BlazeOC' timestamp='1440622848' post='12214026']Is there a performance difference between the two[/quote]

I can't really tell a difference. I would kill for them to look just like the FG tour though. That is how I want my font on my golf ball to look. Classic. But again, I love this ball. And I'm playing the Orange one, about as unclassic as it comes.

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1440626901' post='12214360']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1440616950' post='12213348'][quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1440606474' post='12212264']
[/quote][/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

Anytime sir, I just happened to have those on my phone from the other 50Elite thread when I saw your post :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I will be playing this ball tomorrow. I purchased the newer version in yellow and older version in white. I did some drop tests and the newer version bounced a bit better than the old version.

Should be interesting

USGA 0.2 Handicap
Worse part of my game: Putting
Best part of my game: Short Game
Club I love to Hate: Putter
Most Favorite to Hit: Driver
Goal: +2 Handicap 2022

Well had a chance to play them today. Full 18 holes and I will say right away, these will be the golf balls I use for a long time. They were the straightest, and best putting golf balls I have used yet. Distance was the same or better with my irons. Off the tee box I don't use a driver but my 3 wood was between 240 and 298 today when I hit it well.

It was really nice to see a ball fly so straight. Shot my best score, 75 today.

You can view my stats from the round if you wish on golfshot, [url="http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/239-30619531-30619782"]http://golfshot.com/...619531-30619782[/url]

Again I was shocked to see it fly like that and the ball holds up so dang well. Amazing. I really am amazed a 12.99 for a dozen ball could play this well for me.

I have also added an image of the ball after the round. It was not as vibrant for sure but nothing too bad.

USGA 0.2 Handicap
Worse part of my game: Putting
Best part of my game: Short Game
Club I love to Hate: Putter
Most Favorite to Hit: Driver
Goal: +2 Handicap 2022