Colorado WRX 2015

pseudoswede

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1440438277' post='12199624']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1440437525' post='12199542']
40 putts?! Ouch, that must have been a painful day!
[/quote]

Putting has been one of my biggest weaknesses since I started playing regularly* again a few years ago.

* - regularly defined by me as at least playing 8 times a year.
[/quote]

I switched to a counterbalanced Tank-style putter this year and have had the best putting year in my life. I've gone from a decent putter to having it be a strength of my game.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1440442849' post='12200120']
[/quote]

Putting has been one of my biggest weaknesses since I started playing regularly* again a few years ago.

[/quote]

I switched to a counterbalanced Tank-style putter this year and have had the best putting year in my life. I've gone from a decent putter to having it be a strength of my game.
[/quote]

Honestly, I think that counter-balancing is huge...than and I've taken some Aimpoint classes and really like it!

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1440471712' post='12203134']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1440442849' post='12200120']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Honestly, I think that counter-balancing is huge...than and I've taken some Aimpoint classes and really like it!
[/quote]

I had a guy buy a pickup from me early this year. He wanted to trade me some golf equipment, which included a Cameron counter balanced putter. I immediately disliked it very much but figured it would be easy to sell so I took it. Decided I would give it one try (this must have been around March), it hasn't left my bag yet. It's been far and away my best putting year (its too bad the rest of the game decided to abandon me). It's just so easy to roll it with that putter.

Talk about a scoring day at Red Hawk Ridge on Saturday, check out these ridonkulous net scores in our A flight. We also played the yellow tees (one off the tips).

Net score (gross score)
-10 (68)
-8 (75)
-6 (82)
-5 (75)
-5 (79) me
-2 (78)
-2 (78)
-1 (85)

Winner of the A flight is playing incredibly good golf right now. Low net in the B flight was -12.

Just so you all don't think we're a bunch of sandbaggers, the net score range for the A flight at Buffalo Run the previous week was E to +11.

I'm still having a bit of trouble off the tee, and I only had 31 putts. I went out in 37, but I had to birdie 18 to break 80. Argh.

Indian Peaks in two weeks.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

If I could only finish a round! Was 9 over on 17 and 18 combined for Sat and Sun in the Wellshire Club Championship and finished T4. If I could've knocked even just a few off of that I would've taken 2nd alone. The guy that won shot net 59 yesterday so no one was catching that. UGH! I let the possibility of being in contention get in my head and just botched the last two holes each day. I considered taking a 7 iron off the tee on 18 yesterday which I should've done bc I hit my tee shot into the hazard short and left AGAIN. Oh well though, learning experience I guess.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

18 is such an intimidating tee shot, especially from the back tee box. The last five holes are challenging because you should play a fade off the tee--something I absolutely cannot do.

That new house on 14 is pimp. I'm just waiting for someone to shank one through one of their million windows. :D

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1441037243' post='12239418']
18 is such an intimidating tee shot, especially from the back tee box. The last five holes are challenging because you should play a fade off the tee--something I absolutely cannot do.

That new house on 14 is pimp. I'm just waiting for someone to shank one through one of their million windows. :D
[/quote]

very nice house! I actually just about did that though. I hit a draw but it didn't actually draw yesterday so my tee shot went into a back yard...made par on my second ball for double though! and yes, those holes all call for a fade and I do not hit one.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1441036785' post='12239380']
If I could only finish a round! Was 9 over on 17 and 18 combined for Sat and Sun in the Wellshire Club Championship and finished T4. If I could've knocked even just a few off of that I would've taken 2nd alone. The guy that won shot net 59 yesterday so no one was catching that. UGH! I let the possibility of being in contention get in my head and just botched the last two holes each day. I considered taking a 7 iron off the tee on 18 yesterday which I should've done bc I hit my tee shot into the hazard short and left AGAIN. Oh well though, learning experience I guess.
[/quote]
did bissel win the club champ again

[quote name='forecast6236' timestamp='1441738570' post='12282208']
[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1441036785' post='12239380']
[/quote]
did bissel win the club champ again
[/quote]

Nope. Second year in a row for Adam Gorgiyan with 67-70 and Mitch Smith, my buddy, finished second with 68-71. Bissel was 4th I think.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Anyone ever played Hiwan in Evergreen? I played today and as a 3 handicap shot 87 with 1 four putt and 6 three putts. By far the hardest (and sometimes unfair) greens I have ever played. Course tee to green was uninspired and I can't imagine why the members would want to play greens that hard. The pro told us they were running 13.5 on the stimp....

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1442015029' post='12301752']
Anyone ever played Hiwan in Evergreen? I played today and as a 3 handicap shot 87 with 1 four putt and 6 three putts. By far the hardest (and sometimes unfair) greens I have ever played. Course tee to green was uninspired and I can't imagine why the members would want to play greens that hard. The pro told us they were running 13.5 on the stimp....
[/quote]

I haven't played it but have heard a similar story. Our local high school coach who played briefly on tour said they're the toughest greens he's played. Says putts that look like they will break two feet left actually go two feet right. That type of thing. He's taken some of his better kids to tournaments there, one who played major D1, he said it just destroyed her.

Shot a smooth 76 (38-38) with three birdies at Indian Peaks today. I simply play well there; probably even left two strokes out there (one duffed chipped and one fairway bunker shot that nipped the lip). My driver was better, but still needs work. Also had trouble dialing in my LW from 60-80yds out. Also won my quarterfinal match play 4&3.

Playing GVR on Saturday, and my semi-final match play.

My index dropped a full point after the last revision. I'm sure it'll go down even further on Tuesday. Yikes.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1442032247' post='12302872']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1442015029' post='12301752']
[/quote]

I haven't played it but have heard a similar story. Our local high school coach who played briefly on tour said they're the toughest greens he's played. Says putts that look like they will break two feet left actually go two feet right. That type of thing. He's taken some of his better kids to tournaments there, one who played major D1, he said it just destroyed her.
[/quote]

Ya, it was a joke. I consider myself a pretty good putter and from ANYWHERE dead below the hole you were putting defensively. Even 3 footers had break. I found this quote from Phil Mickelson on the club's website:

[b][i]Phil Mickelson, when asked about the fast greens at the PGA Championship at Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Kentucky, noted that he had only experienced faster greens at two other courses: Augusta National and Hiwan. Steve Jones, too, when interviewed on ESPN, paid homage to his Colorado Open experiences saying that his biggest challenge with greens was at Hiwan Golf Club in Evergreen, Colorado.[/i][/b]

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1442184482' post='12308744']
My index dropped a full point after the last revision. I'm sure it'll go down even further on Tuesday. Yikes.
[/quote]

Heehee. It actually went up 0.1 pts. My 74 from Indian Peaks two years ago finally dropped off, and it was replaced with the 76. Yes, I think it shows how much I play golf.

Good luck to everyone playing this weekend--unless you're my match play opponent.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1442184482' post='12308744']
Playing GVR on Saturday, and my semi-final match play.
[/quote]

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1442606929' post='12332228']
Good luck to everyone playing this weekend--unless you're my match play opponent.
[/quote]

While I can shoot lights-out at Indian Peaks, it's a totally different story at GVR. Ugh. I broke 90 for the first time there, so I got that going for me.

I was 3-over after 8 holes; then I went bogey-double-bogey-quadruple-triple. The only saving grace was that I did manage to get myself to 3-up in match play after 9. After the wheels came off, we were all square going into 15. He missed a short par putt on 15 to give me the hole. I par 16, he doubles. On 17 (par 3), I chunk my tee shot, and he puts it 2 feet away. I take an open LW and put it a foot away; and he misses his birdie putt. Somehow I squeak out a 2&1 victory (and a guaranteed spot at Cherry Creek CC in October for the ToC). On 18, I put my tee shot in the sand, PW out, 4-iron to short of the green, pull my LW chip, then I sink a 15-footer for my free beer. :)

On Sunday, season-ending tournament at Riverdale as well as my match play championship match.

Won a tourney finally! Shot 75 for a net 65 to win the A flight at Wellshire on Sat. Feelin pretty good right now!

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Okay, CO golf courses, I know we haven't had rain in weeks, but it was a very wet spring and summer; there is no need to water the fairways to the point of saturation. There's nothing like bombing a drive down the middle, only seeing it 250yds from the tee next to a massive, fat pitch mark.

Another question for you all: how often are you paired with people toking up on the golf course now? Since it was legalized, I've only see it twice. Dude yesterday shot a 74 at Riverdale. His recovery shots and putting were incredible. I, on the other hand, crap the bed and shoot a 93 with 41 putts. Ouch.

Match play championship will actually be held at Cherry Creek CC on Saturday. It's a pretty sweet trophy that you get to keep for a year. Next Monday is my company golf outing at Inverness, then I'm going to take a few weeks off.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1443469030' post='12379678']
Match play championship will actually be held at Cherry Creek CC on Saturday.
[/quote]

Match play champion. Boom. My game continues to struggle, I was giving NINE strokes, but I still eeked out a 3&1 victory. Cherry Creek CC is a pretty swanky place. The course itself was split between fairly easy (tee to fairway)--as long as you kept it out of the waste areas--to diabolical on and around the greens. Eight of the pin placements were within 4-6 paces from the edge of the green, and often teetering on either false fronts or on ridges leading to green-side collection areas.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1444149281' post='12418120']
[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1443469030' post='12379678']
Match play championship will actually be held at Cherry Creek CC on Saturday.
[/quote]

Match play champion. Boom. My game continues to struggle, I was giving NINE strokes, but I still eeked out a 3&1 victory. Cherry Creek CC is a pretty swanky place. The course itself was split between fairly easy (tee to fairway)--as long as you kept it out of the waste areas--to diabolical on and around the greens. Eight of the pin placements were within 4-6 paces from the edge of the green, and often teetering on either false fronts or on ridges leading to green-side collection areas.
[/quote]\

Congrats. Match play is so much fun...

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Anyone play Meridian?

I was thinking of trying to play tomorrow afternoon since I live close and would like to check it out. It sounds like the public can book times tues-fri with a limit of once per month but the wording on the website is a bit confusing. Anyone know their policy or ballpark what they charge the public to play?

I had no idea about that policy. Many years ago when I was a range member there, you got one free weekday (M-Th) round per year. I believe the value of the round (including cart) was $100.

Too bad I'm working from home today. Otherwise, I'd heckle you from my work's balcony while you're on the back 9. :D

[quote name='forecast6236' timestamp='1444763417' post='12451250']
Didn't end up playing Meridian the other day but am headed to Colorado National on Saturday :golfer:
[/quote]

Let me know if 4-5 of the greens are still dead. I played earlier in the season and the greens needed a huge amount of TLC - I would be interested in the current conditions.

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1444824295' post='12454284']
Didn't end up playing Meridian the other day but am headed to Colorado National on Saturday :golfer:
[/quote]

Let me know if 4-5 of the greens are still dead. I played earlier in the season and the greens needed a huge amount of TLC - I would be interested in the current conditions.
[/quote]

Colorado National has had a lot of issues since Troon sold it. It has or was for sale for quite sometime. Not sure if it sold or could be sold as the owner had a run in with the IRS. Anyway, the course has suffered during that time. I remember when that course first opened, I made sure I played there at least 3 times a year. 7600+ yards with firm and fast greens. That course with fast greens might be the toughest test in the state.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1444824295' post='12454284']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Greens weren't perfect but definitely weren't dead. They charged $38 for the round which is a steal for that place. I'd play there a lot more if I lived on that side of the metro.