2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Salt Lake/Park City

Fisher

I'll be flying out to SLC/PC this weekend to visit my little brother who I don't get to see too often these days and would like to bring him out for a good round. I was hoping to get some suggestions about courses in the area that aren't terribly pricey (under $75~80) that we would be able to get on.

Thanks in advance.

Mountain Dell in Parley's Canyon. It has two courses, canyon and lake, close and well under your price range.
Check to see if Soldier Hollow is open, yet. Also, Wasatch State Park in Midway is an enjoyable track. If you have rich contacts there are some primo private courses in the PC area.

There are also Salt Lake County and Salt Lake City golf courses that are all open.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread to see if any SLC'ers might want to play Friday, August 7 am.

I'll be in town for business.

I may play wingpointe to keep it simple of the course above North Salt Lake...

(Eaglewood) any comments on bountiful ridge vs eaglewood?

I posted over in the Rockies WRXGroup as well.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I would play bountiful ridge over eaglewood all day long. As far as original post mountain dell lake is a very fun scenic track to play. Bonneville is another course in slc worth playing as well. I am not a fan of wingpointe. My favorite course is the course on hill AFB. Best greens in the state but need base access to play.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='geochitown' timestamp='1437074516' post='11961430']Bumping this thread to see if any SLC'ers might want to play Friday, August 7 am.

I posted over in the Rockies WRXGroup as well.[/quote]

About 20 minutes further north from Bountiful  Ridge is Valley View in Layton Utah which in my opinion is the best public course in northern Utah and I have played them all! Bountiful Ridge's conditions are very random. I've played there 5 or 6 times. Sometimes it's great other times it's a dog track. I love  Valley View. Always in great shape. They hold Monday qualifiers for the  web.com event there and USGA qualifiers are often held there. Great layout, lots of slope changes, and the greens are always in good shape. Was in the top 100 public courses a while back.
There are a lot of houses on eaglewood....
I would skip wingpointe . The city of Salt Lake owns it and pretty much has given up on it and is trying to sell it.  Kinda sad because it's cool track.
If you want to stay inside of Salt Lake City Bonniville is a good munny that has great views of the city. Rounds can be a little slow and they are currently replacing the irrigation system but I really enjoy it.

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

• 4 weeks later...

On the south end of Salt Lake you could also try Old Mill - it is better than Bonneville IMO and a better option than some other valley courses. I agree on Valley View. Just played 9 there this past Wednesday as the high schoolers had a tourney there that day. It is in great shape.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

• 11 months later...

Wanted to bump this thread as I'm having an offsite work meeting in Park City and we are going to organize at least one round of golf during the trip.

We are staying right across the street from Park City Golf Club, so that is an option, but is there anything close to SLC (the airport) or in between the airport and Park City that we should check out?

Looks like Soldiers Hollow is an option, as well as Bonneville and Old Mill nearer SLC. We'll have all skill levels so can't be too penal, probably the more scenic the better!

Anybody played these courses this year, thoughts? Thanks guys!

Ping i25 10.5*
Callaway XHot 15* FW - TM RBZ2 19*H
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 Irons 4-PW
Miura 51* Y grind/Miura 56* K grind
Titleist SM5 60* L grind
Bettinardi BB28 Raw

In between SLC and Park City is Mountain Dell (off of I-80 in Parleys Canyon). It is a scenic course with 36 holes. Lots of wild life (Moose, mule deer, and birds everywhere) The lake is the easier of the 2 courses. Park City municipal golf course has a LOT of houses on it. It was ruined when it was rerouted to build condos, ski lifts, and the hotel there (learned to play there, not even close to the same). It Is also expensive for Utah golf. Soldier hollow silver course is nice, the gold course is more difficult. They play the state amateur there. Good views as well. Old Mill has the slowest greens you will ever play and Bonneville, while a great track, will be the slowest round you will ever play... I would say either Soldier Hollow Silver Course, or Mountain Dell Lake course would be your best options for scenery and ease of play. Let me know if you have any other questions.

In between SLC and Park City is Mountain Dell (off of I-80 in Parleys Canyon). It is a scenic course with 36 holes. Lots of wild life (Moose, mule deer, and birds everywhere) The lake is the easier of the 2 courses. Park City municipal golf course has a LOT of houses on it. It was ruined when it was rerouted to build condos, ski lifts, and the hotel there (learned to play there, not even close to the same). It Is also expensive for Utah golf. Soldier hollow silver course is nice, the gold course is more difficult. They play the state amateur there. Good views as well. Old Mill has the slowest greens you will ever play and Bonneville, while a great track, will be the slowest round you will ever play... I would say either Soldier Hollow Silver Course, or Mountain Dell Lake course would be your best options for scenery and ease of play. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Awesome Axman! Thanks for the help!

I think I will have to play with the bigger group at Park City Muni just because of the convenience, but I may try to fly back a little later on Friday and get another round in so maybe I'll hit up Mountain Dell. Thanks for the tips!

Ping i25 10.5*
Callaway XHot 15* FW - TM RBZ2 19*H
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 Irons 4-PW
Miura 51* Y grind/Miura 56* K grind
Titleist SM5 60* L grind
Bettinardi BB28 Raw

• 4 weeks later...

I've now been in Utah for over 6 months. Utah sucks at golf technology and there are only 2 courses on golfnow because so many are run by cities and county. There are a few on teeoff but that is limited. Most of these Courses end up being around 30-40 without cart on Saturday anyways. My opinion on what I have played

Utah county-

$$$Thanksgiving point- Johnny Miller course made to play like a championship course. It can play long and has some difficult holes. It also has some easier ones but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone over a 15 handicap. condition is usually very good

$Cedar Hills- This is a fun course with great views. It has some boring holes an a few great ones on the back 9. Solid course though for the money, good condition when I have played

$Links at Sleepy ridge- this is a good kind of links style course. It winds through swampy waters and is a mix between links and a waterfront/riverfront course. conditions were good

$eastbay- not spectacular. swamp land golf

Salt Lake county-

$$South mountain- Solid golf course with a good amount of elevation change and more of a target golf type course on many holes. Hitting less then driver with very misses that penalize.

$Old mill- fun course, very open and resort style on the first 14 holes. the last 4 wind through trees and you have to pick your targets off the tee's. Good condition

$Riverbend- Easier but fun golf course that is in good shape. not overly exciting but not a bad layout. good for mid to high handicap players and low handicap players should be able to score here.

1/2$ Pebblebrook- not a great course some really bad holes, really short, but some tight holes for high handicap players.

$river oaks- great conditions but the front 9 is very tight and target golf. condition was really top notch but you need to know where to aim on about half of the front 9.

$Mountain view- not the worst course I have played but not worth the time.

$murray parkway- I was surprised by this course. very easy layout but was in good condition. It is hard to lose a tee shot here as there aren't too many bad misses. If you hit your driver all over this is a great course to play.

$Bonneville- ok layout and some very average holes. Greens can be firm so you want to come into them with less club to hold.

$stonebridge- Great linkish style course through the marsh land. good condition and at around 7100-7200 yards it was somewhat challenging without being hard. Right by the airport. Johnny Miller design. frankly I don't know why people complain about wingpointe being gone when this course is here.

$$$$Willow Creek CC- good tree lined course with errant tee shots being 1/2-1 shot penalty depending on how luck you get.

East mountains

$Mt Dell- Solid course and some open holes and some Target golf around the highest point. I saw a family of Moose when I was there last.

$wasatch- great mountain views and i liked the layout on the mountain course way more than the lakes. very good course if you want to see wildlife(turkey, deer, ect) and great colors in the fall

$Soldier hollow- two good courses that are open links style with the front nine of the Gold course requiring some accurate tee shots. I thought the Gold was a much better course but both are good.

North

$Eaglewood- fun course and somewhat target golfish but not that bad. it isn't super long so you can hit long irons on quite a few tee's. worth playing

$Bountiful ridge- hillside and fun course . older design. some good holes and some boring unspectacular ones. worth playing also

Top 5 in my opinion

Soldier-Gold course

Thanksgiving

South mountain

Willow Creek

Stone Bridge

the other I recommend highly

Sleepy ridge- not in morning because of bugs and mosquitos

Cedar hills- great views

Mt dell- Canyon

Wasatch- mountain

Old mill

I've now been in Utah for over 6 months. Utah sucks at golf technology and there are only 2 courses on golfnow because so many are run by cities and county. There are a few on teeoff but that is limited.

Welcome to Utah man, I hope it's been good for you so far! I think Tee Off is actually pretty good along the Wasatch Front right now. There are over 20 courses on there and they have some good deals for fall golf.

To your point about the city and county courses, I think that's what makes SLC area golf so good. I hope you get to check out some of the lesser known courses while you're here; there's a lot to explore. Local muni's are where the golfing history is here. The Utah Am is the longest running golf tourney in the US, and the older courses are the reason for that.

The Wasatch Front has places like Forrest Dale, Nibley, and Rose Park that are over 100 years old; and on the higher end, you have some of the best mountain golf in the country in Heber and PC. Lots to choose from here.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

I've now been in Utah for over 6 months. Utah sucks at golf technology and there are only 2 courses on golfnow because so many are run by cities and county. There are a few on teeoff but that is limited. Most of these Courses end up being around 30-40 without cart on Saturday anyways. My opinion on what I have played

Utah county-

$$$Thanksgiving point- Johnny Miller course made to play like a championship course. It can play long and has some difficult holes. It also has some easier ones but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone over a 15 handicap. condition is usually very good

$Cedar Hills- This is a fun course with great views. It has some boring holes an a few great ones on the back 9. Solid course though for the money, good condition when I have played

$Links at Sleepy ridge- this is a good kind of links style course. It winds through swampy waters and is a mix between links and a waterfront/riverfront course. conditions were good

Salt Lake county-

$$South mountain- Solid golf course with a good amount of elevation change and more of a target golf type course on many holes. Hitting less then driver with very misses that penalize.

$Old mill- fun course, very open and resort style on the first 14 holes. the last 4 wind through trees and you have to pick your targets off the tee's. Good condition

$Riverbend- Easier but fun golf course that is in good shape. not overly exciting but not a bad layout. good for mid to high handicap players and low handicap players should be able to score here.

1/2$ Pebblebrook- not a great course some really bad holes, really short, but some tight holes for high handicap players.

$river oaks- great conditions but the front 9 is very tight and target golf. condition was really top notch but you need to know where to aim on about half of the front 9.

$murray parkway- I was surprised by this course. very easy layout but was in good condition. It is hard to lose a tee shot here as there aren't too many bad misses. If you hit your driver all over this is a great course to play.

$Bonneville- ok layout and some very average holes. Greens can be firm so you want to come into them with less club to hold.

$stonebridge- Great linkish style course through the marsh land. good condition and at around 7100-7200 yards it was somewhat challenging without being hard. Right by the airport. Johnny Miller design. frankly I don't know why people complain about wingpointe being gone when this course is here.

$$$$Willow Creek CC- good tree lined course with errant tee shots being 1/2-1 shot penalty depending on how luck you get.

East mountains

$Mt Dell- Solid course and some open holes and some Target golf around the highest point. I saw a family of Moose when I was there last.

$wasatch- great mountain views and i liked the layout on the mountain course way more than the lakes. very good course if you want to see wildlife(turkey, deer, ect) and great colors in the fall

$Soldier hollow- two good courses that are open links style with the front nine of the Gold course requiring some accurate tee shots. I thought the Gold was a much better course but both are good.

North

$Eaglewood- fun course and somewhat target golfish but not that bad. it isn't super long so you can hit long irons on quite a few tee's. worth playing

$Bountiful ridge- hillside and fun course . older design. some good holes and some boring unspectacular ones. worth playing also

Top 5 in my opinion

Soldier-Gold course

Thanksgiving

South mountain

Willow Creek

Stone Bridge

Cedar hills- great views

Mt dell- Canyon

Wasatch- mountain

Old mill

Get to Hobble Creek in the fall.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

+1 on the Hobble Creek. Another beautiful city owned course.

If Utah has a top 4 for golf in the fall, it's got to be (in no order):

• Hobble Creek
  • Wasatch (Mountain)
  • Soldiers Hollow (gold)
  • Gladstan

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Utah county-

Salt Lake county-

East mountains

North

Top 5 in my opinion

Soldier-Gold course

Thanksgiving

South mountain

Willow Creek

Stone Bridge

Cedar hills- great views

Mt dell- Canyon

Wasatch- mountain

Old mill

Get to Hobble Creek in the fall.

I will. I keep trying. I hope the leaves are still there in a couple weeks.

bradski, nice posts on SLC area golf!

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

• 1 year later...

18 month bump

Interesting news about wingpointe

TM TP5x

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread to see if any SLC'ers might want to play Friday, August 7 am.

I posted over in the Rockies WRXGroup as well.

RIP Wingpointe

Lets hope they can get that bill signed off. Would absolutely love to see it host the web.

• 2 months later...

Wingpointe fans! Rally tomorrow at the club house. Need to make it clear to SLC government that we want that course back. Plans are in the works for private group to reopen it we just need the city’s approval.

• 6 months later...

> @alexdub said:

> +1 on the Hobble Creek. Another beautiful city owned course.

>

>

>

> If Utah has a top 4 for golf in the fall, it's got to be (in no order):

> * Hobble Creek

>

> * Wasatch (Mountain)

>

> * Soldiers Hollow (gold)

>

> * Gladstan

Dejavu. I come up from AZ in July and late September every year and play all 4 of these courses with my brother in law. We play up in Midway/Heber on day then Springville/Payson the next. Those are the best 4 courses. I have played Valley View and like it as well.

$$$$

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a trip to Utah. We played:

Wasatch Mountain - Mountain Course

Soldier Hollow - Gold Course

Mountain Dell - Lake Course Front 9 (Back 9 is closed)

Mountain Dell - Canyon Course

Bountiful Ridge (Front 9) - Got rained out on back.

The weather this week in that region was unseasonably cold. The temps were more than 20 degrees below average (highs were in the high 40's and low 50's. It rained and/or hailed every day and there were frost delays every day (this is late May!!!)

I'll post links to photos of each course as I get them posted to my Flickr page. Here's the first one, Wasatch Mountain

( Wasatch Mountain - Mountain Course

Added - Soldier Hollow Gold Course: [https://flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157708776853151]

Added Mountain Dell Lakes Course front 9 - Mountain Dell - Lakes Course

• 2 months later...

I am taking some time off and going to Park City in a few weeks. I have some connections at a few clubs and was wondering what I should pick. Ill have time for two rounds.

Park Meadows

Red Ledges

Tuhaye

The Country Club in SLC

I have firm commits to get out at these courses. I could probably swing another private if there are some better worth playing. I have played many of the public in the area. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Where did you end up playing? How’d you like them?

> @vallygolf said:

> I am taking some time off and going to Park City in a few weeks. I have some connections at a few clubs and was wondering what I should pick. Ill have time for two rounds.

> Park Meadows

> Red Ledges

> Tuhaye

> The Country Club in SLC

> I have firm commits to get out at these courses. I could probably swing another private if there are some better worth playing. I have played many of the public in the area. Thanks

> @sabram said:

> I just returned from a trip to Utah. We played:

> Wasatch Mountain - Mountain Course

> Soldier Hollow - Gold Course

> Mountain Dell - Lake Course Front 9 (Back 9 is closed)

> Mountain Dell - Canyon Course

> Bountiful Ridge (Front 9) - Got rained out on back.

>

> The weather this week in that region was unseasonably cold. The temps were more than 20 degrees below average (highs were in the high 40's and low 50's. It rained and/or hailed every day and there were frost delays every day (this is late May!!!)

>

> I'll post links to photos of each course as I get them posted to my Flickr page. Here's the first one, Wasatch Mountain

> ( Wasatch Mountain - Mountain Course

>

> Added - Soldier Hollow Gold Course: [https://flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157708776853151]

>

> Added Mountain Dell Lakes Course front 9 - Mountain Dell - Lakes Course

You have quite a collection on Flickr! Wow, you’ve played many, many awesome courses!

• Like 1

$$$$