Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

[quote name='Schnee' timestamp='1436581858' post='11926970']
Great looking swing Dave. Could've mistaken you for a tour pro with that action. Love how compact it is. Nice job!
[/quote]
wow that is praise indeed, thank you for your kind words, its not that good yet but its getting better :)

being a fat b4$tard I don't have a choice with it being compact or not haha

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

[quote name='golfnff' timestamp='1436592826' post='11927696']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436558453' post='11925062']
[url="https://youtu.be/mCmgOh7BaJE"]https://youtu.be/mCmgOh7BaJE[/url]

[url="https://youtu.be/NSNh8G4Zk8E"]https://youtu.be/NSNh8G4Zk8E[/url]

Video from today. Backswing looking much better and much deeper. Right knee moving back as much as left moves forward unlike normal where my right hardly moves and I move towards the ball.

Feeling was to straighten right leg during the backswing, not completely locked but feels odd and very straight in comparison to normal.

Face on video made me realise I need to work on my ball position. That was a 6 iron so it's crept a bit far forward. This game is never ending!
[/quote]

Congrats Dave! That feeling that you have with your right leg straightening is the same feeling I am using lately to get a deep right hip at the top. Good stuff!
[/quote]
Merci. yeah it really works, especially since my right knee doesn't move much at all. this was something I had never thought of in the backswing in regards to keeping tush line, Dan pointed out that the right knee should move the same amount back as the left knee does forward, otherwise you will move towards the ball. which is exactly what I was doing, I had a good amount of hip turn, just my right knee wasn't moving back enough so I was losing my tush line and moving towards the ball slightly.

it feels very odd and as if my right leg is extremely straight, something years of hearing "braced right knee" has caused no doubt.

thought i would post this here from the wedge thread to remind me in the future if i forget this.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436972495' post='11953558']
Thought I'd share something that has near enough cured my uphill pitch where you cant see exactly how green there is dilemma. hopefully it might help someone else too who has had a similar problem, it has sure helped me. in hindsight it sounds so simple yet for so long i was unaware of what i was doing.

whenever I would get this shot, ball below the level of the green and from the ball you cant see how much green there is, I would always come up short, no matter what, until I realised why i did that. this may be a bit long winded writing it but stick with it :) . when i hit a chip or pitch normally, i am looking at the hole (for the sake of it being a flat green with no break) and aiming for that. my chipping and pitching is great. but then when i was at the lower level off the green i realised i was still looking at where the hole would be, as in a direct line to where the hole is (red line in picture), which is obviously actually aiming at the top of the hill you are facing. ive found if i focus my eyes on the bottom part of the flag (yellow line in picture) stick that i can see and aim for that my touch is once again there and no more coming up short.

reading this back it sounds so simple and so stupid as to what i was doing but its something i just did and didn't really think about it.

[attachment=2855628:uphillpitch.png]
[/quote]

[quote name='hakky' timestamp='1437291966' post='11976876']
Hi Dave. When you make a deep backswing. How much weight in % you have on your backfoot? When i make that turn in to the heel of the backfoot i "feel" like 80 % of my weight is on my back foot
[/quote]
It feels like my right leg is pretty straight and nearly all my weight is in my right heel, I'd guess around 80% in the right heel

Odyssey putter fitting tomorrow, like a kid on Christmas eve today!!

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1437326992' post='11978702']
[quote name='hakky' timestamp='1437291966' post='11976876']
Hi Dave. When you make a deep backswing. How much weight in % you have on your backfoot? When i make that turn in to the heel of the backfoot i "feel" like 80 % of my weight is on my back foot
[/quote]
It feels like my right leg is pretty straight and nearly all my weight is in my right heel, I'd guess around 80% in the right heel

Odyssey putter fitting tomorrow, like a kid on Christmas eve today!!
[/quote]

Hoping for a review ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

The putter fitting at Odyssey UK was brilliant, I had it with Jason who did my woods fitting last time I was there in 2013. Started out talking about my putting what my misses were etc. I told him I had recently switched back to LHL grip as that cured 2 of my main faults in my stroke, aligning open with forearms and shoulders and also having the hands positioned behind the ball too much (think ZJ). I showed him and he agreed that with LHL setup looks much better and the stroke was better with LHL, so that was nice to hear him confirm that.

Started putting on the SAM hitting about a 12 foot putt with the putter I had been using, the old ping myday, scored an 86% on technique with 77% consistency. At this point he said that was very good scores technically, the pros he fits are normally between 88-94%, but the consistency needed improving and he felt that would come with a slightly shorter putter but most of all a bit more weight. First putter he had me try was the works 1w, setup beautifully as soon as I put it down, hit some putts and technique was at 91% and consistency up to 85%, he felt the consistency would get better as I got used to the weight and also that this was a 35" and he reckoned I needed 34. He then tried me in a milled collection no.2, which again looked beautiful. slightly heavier and adjustable weights my technique was 92% and consistency at 85% again. this was looking like the one. he gave me 2 other milled collections which I just didn't like the look of or seem to sit right. so it was back to the 1w or #2. tried them at a 34" length and the consistency did improve again slightly. I was leaning towards the milled collection as I liked the idea of the changeable weights which would be useful for winter etc. I then hit some short putts with them and this is where the winner was decided. The 1w won hands down! the milled 2 although a heavier head seemed really light and like I didn't have much control on short putts. the 1w was smooth and just felt lovely on short putts.

he identified 1 thing I should look to work on is not adding loft through the stroke, about 0.5 degree, and also that my followthrough is longer than my backswing, he said try it with the normal grip but he reckoned a superstroke flatso 1 would really help with keeping the left hand solid through the stroke.

so here are the pics or the putter and the new bag which I picked up last night, was able to get both and some gloves out of my Club championship winnings so not a bad weekends work :)

[attachment=2901022:20150810_194258.jpg]

[attachment=2901024:20150810_194311.jpg]

[attachment=2901026:20150810_194326.jpg]

[attachment=2901028:20150810_194334.jpg]

[attachment=2901034:20150810_194341.jpg]

[attachment=2901046:20150810_194357.jpg]

I have a flatso ready to go on, which i think i will be putting on but will see how it goes after another outing with the stock grip on Thursday

What a coincidence to read your post this morning. I was messing around last night in the basement with a Versa 1W WBW that has been laying around untouched for months. Wow! It felt great. I might switch things up a little and but the Circa 62 on the shelf for a while.

Thanks for sharing your fitting experience. I've always wanted to get on SAM.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I certainly don't seem to add loft and have a much more stable left hand when i keep my followthrough shorter, it tightens up my whole putting motion, it feels like Snedekers stroke like im just popping the ball and stopping straight after impact but its actually the same length as the backswing, which is where i want to get it. This will take some getting used to but hopefully this will really help with my distance control on putts which is something i struggle with from time to time.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1439303428' post='12116396']
What a coincidence to read your post this morning. I was messing around last night in the basement with a Versa 1W WBW that has been laying around untouched for months. Wow! It felt great. I might switch things up a little and but the Circa 62 on the shelf for a while.

Thanks for sharing your fitting experience. I've always wanted to get on SAM.
[/quote]
Interesting you say that, I have a 1w BWB which i had lent to a friend which i got back as i planned to keep that in my lounge and practice my stroke with. However, and im sure is the reason i stopped using it, the versa 1w just wants to rock and sit shut. i seemingly need to put my hands a long way in front of the ball for it to sit normal for me. whereas the works 1w just sits perfectly square. it sure is a lovely putter shape. looks classical but in the same way inspires a bit more confidence. i much prefer the alignment line on the works, i tend to address it out the toe on the versa model with no line.

and the SAM session was really interesting, amazing how it shows everything up. i tended to take it a little inside and loop it out with the old ping but as soon as i got a putter with a bit more weight in my hands it was a little inside but then straight down the line.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436603422' post='11927908']
[quote name='golfnff' timestamp='1436592826' post='11927696']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1436558453' post='11925062']
[url="https://youtu.be/mCmgOh7BaJE"]https://youtu.be/mCmgOh7BaJE[/url]

[url="https://youtu.be/NSNh8G4Zk8E"]https://youtu.be/NSNh8G4Zk8E[/url]

Video from today. Backswing looking much better and much deeper. Right knee moving back as much as left moves forward unlike normal where my right hardly moves and I move towards the ball.

[b]Feeling was to straighten right leg during the backswing, not completely locked but feels odd and very straight in comparison to normal.[/b]

Face on video made me realise I need to work on my ball position. That was a 6 iron so it's crept a bit far forward. This game is never ending!
[/quote]

Congrats Dave! That feeling that you have with your right leg straightening is the same feeling I am using lately to get a deep right hip at the top. Good stuff!
[/quote]

Merci. yeah it really works, especially since my right knee doesn't move much at all. this was something I had never thought of in the backswing in regards to keeping tush line, [b]Dan pointed out that the right knee should move the same amount back as the left knee does forward, otherwise you will move towards the ball[/b]. which is exactly what I was doing, I had a good amount of hip turn, just my right knee wasn't moving back enough so I was losing my tush line and moving towards the ball slightly.

it feels very odd and as if my right leg is extremely straight, something years of hearing "braced right knee" has caused no doubt.
[/quote]

This is EXACTLY what I've been going through. All the way from left knee forward, right knee back, to struggling with unlearning a lifetime of bracing the right knee. I saw Dan in person last week and we worked on this for a good chunk of our session. The swing thought from Dan that clicked for me was that it feels like moving my left knee over my left foot, and allowing the right leg to straighten.

Your swing looks excellent, Dave. Very nice to see everything falling into place.

PS - I also just picked up a Flatso 1.0 this past Saturday. I guess I need to come into this thread more often now.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1439304194' post='12116474']
I certainly don't seem to add loft and have a much more stable left hand when i keep my followthrough shorter, it tightens up my whole putting motion, it feels like Snedekers stroke like im just popping the ball and stopping straight after impact but its actually the same length as the backswing, which is where i want to get it. This will take some getting used to but hopefully this will really help with my distance control on putts which is something i struggle with from time to time.
[/quote]
watching this video of speith you can really see how beautifully he keeps the back stroke and through stroke the same length and the left wrist is very stable. no surprise he is the best long putter out there when the stroke stays like this.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZiGSQoJYy4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZiGSQoJYy4[/url]

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1439306545' post='12116704']
This is EXACTLY what I've been going through. All the way from left knee forward, right knee back, to struggling with unlearning a lifetime of bracing the right knee. I saw Dan in person last week and we worked on this for a good chunk of our session. The swing thought from Dan that clicked for me was that it feels like moving my left knee over my left foot, and allowing the right leg to straighten.

Your swing looks excellent, Dave. Very nice to see everything falling into place.

PS - I also just picked up a Flatso 1.0 this past Saturday. I guess I need to come into this thread more often now.
[/quote]
i never even thought i had a braced right knee until Dan pointed out that it didn't move in the backswing. Something i never would have ever thought of or seen. im very jealous of you being able to have an in person lesson, can only imagine how much easier changes are in person. no doubt this move will take a fair while to ingrain and it feels so odd doesn't it? especially when you can hear the last 20 years of golf instruction whispering "keep the right knee solid", what a load of baloney! straightening the right knee on the backswing gives me the feeling of having so much more space in the swing. Dan is a genius no doubt.

thankyou for your kind words, your swing is certainly looking more refined after the lesson, look forward to seeing the results as the changes ingrain, will be interesting to hear how you fair with the right knee straightening as we are in a similar ship

PS. i think the flatso is going to be the perfect combo with this putter, especially with what im working on in my stroke. let me know how u get on with yours, what are u putting it on?

• 3 weeks later...

What with holiday and being really hectic with work I haven't practiced and only played 9 holes in the last 5 and a bit weeks. The time hasn't been kind to my swing, was in a shabby state yesterday at the range. but cant expect too much after not hitting a ball for so long i suppose. The strikes were sporadic and the more worrying thing was my draw was there occasionally but also a push fade, me no likey that. the right knee is losing flex but as you can see in the videos im not getting into the right heel enough and almost reverse pivoting a bit. right knee needs to work back but straight back more. also weight is a bit too much in the heels at address. I also seem to have my arms lower and more apparently laid off than normal? anyways going to work on the right knee tonight and send a lesson off to Dan to get an idea of what to work on etc.

The problem I have had for years is I will just continue to work on things myself, I realise this isn't the best way to do it. will get the right hip deeper and then send off for a lesson, otherwise he will just tell me to get it deeper, good use of a lesson credit lol.

here are the vids:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEpFdiamU2k"]https://www.youtube....h?v=aEpFdiamU2k[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=852eWaixygI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=852eWaixygI[/url]

my putting is magic with my new putter though, I have been hitting lots of putts in my lounge and working on the few things I needed to. The superstroke flatso feels wonderful and really suits my crosshanded stroke.

[attachment=2928578:20150828_080241.jpg]

I also really feel and can see on camera that im not cocking my wrists much in the backswing. if I grab a club with a swingyde on it I don't get close to getting enough angle to get it onto my left forearm. could be whats leading to looking really laid off. will see what Dan says though.

The new putter is a dream. Shot level for 9 holes tonight. Irons were good but tee shots were inconsistent. Draws and fades which isn't good. Have got videos from tonight that I'll be sending to Dan.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1440793436' post='12226080']
The new putter is a dream. Shot level for 9 holes tonight. Irons were good but tee shots were inconsistent. Draws and fades which isn't good. Have got videos from tonight that I'll be sending to Dan.
[/quote]

Which flatso grip are you using?

[quote name='mulliganman30' timestamp='1440806776' post='12227214']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1440793436' post='12226080']
[/quote]

Which flatso grip are you using?
[/quote]
the flat so 1.0. I had one a while ago on a Scotty when I used a conventional grip and it didn't work out well. But I loved the feel of the grip. Seemingly LHL works perfect for me and this grip

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1440813904' post='12227754']
Neat is one thing but checking that your lower shelf of movies is level is unusual to say the least.

All champions deserve a little time off and get a little rusty.
[/quote]
Haha. That is actually used on the floor so I can find a flat area to put a meter rule on to putt down.

Plus the whole bookcase is sagging from the weight of all the golf books on the tip shelf anyway :D

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1440840541' post='12228766']
flatso is magic. I've never putted half as good in my life.
[/quote]
I agree so far, I did realise yesterday though that I didn't build up any tape under the lower part of the grip so there is a small gap around the bottom of the grip and the shaft, hopefully wont affect it at all.

Just comparing the video I sent to Dan from the Last lesson and was amazed at the improvement in the left wrist angle. All this from improving right hip depth on the backswing.

[attachment=2929842:PhotoGrid_1440846241141.jpg]

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1440855984' post='12229280']
Great thread. Love following.
[/quote]
Thanks. Glad others enjoy reading my ramblings :-)

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1440856190' post='12229292']
barefoot?
[/quote]
Yeah I quite enjoy playing barefoot every now and then. Plus I didn't have my golf shoes so no shoes is better than the work shoes I had on.

[quote name='Etzwane' timestamp='1440854796' post='12229226']
My 2c: it's difficult to tell from a video, but it seems to me you have moved even more weight towards the heels at address and that you're slightly out of balance in the swing.
[/quote]
Thanks for sharing your 2c, yeah I did notice that and think I mentioned it in the post. Probably a reaction to trying to get the weight more into the right heel at the top.

This was the video from last night with weight more on balls and cleaned up the right hip in backswing.

http://youtu.be/ESm7incECN8

Have created my lesson with Dan so just awaiting his wizardry knowledge