First trip to Scotland, any tips?

You're pretty set! Enjoy the town as much as you can. You're loaded with golf which is good, but make sure you experience the other things there too. I made do with some standard rain gear and long sleeve stuff. Carrying a big travel bag around on old cobblestone street isnt the most fun, but you'll just have to suck it up! Have fun.

I made myself some notes in the event I ever take another overseas golf trip again. Here are those notes.

Our trip was to Scotland on August, 2014. We went through Hidden Links Golf. They have course profiles on you tube and are on the web.

We stayed at the South Beach Hotel (3 nights) and played Turnberry Ailsa, Western Gailes and could play 36 at Troon. 18 on the Royal Troon Portland course and 18 on the Royal Troon Old course. Most, including me, only played the Old Royal course which is the championship course.

We then traveled a few hours and played Cruden Bay, stayed one night at Kilmarnock Arms B&B and played Trump International in the morning and then traveled a few hours to the Dunvegan Hotel for our last 3 nights which is app 130 yds from the 18th green and #1 tee on the Old Course at St Andrews. Once at the Dunvegan, we played the Championship course at Carnoustie, Kingsbarnes and the Old Course at St Andrews.

Our Hidden Links cost included pick up and drop off at the airport, all lodging fees, all greens fees except St Andrews, transportation (motor coach) to 6 of the 8 courses and all lodges ( we stayed in 3 different bed and breakfasts). Both Royal Troon and St Andrews were within walking distance from the bed/breakfast and transportation was not provided. Breakfast was included each morning except the day we arrived. Lunch/dinner/drinks were not provided but there were many places to go within walking distance while in Troon and St Andrews. Additional transportation may be needed depending on how much site seeing (castles) you want to do.

Originally we were set to fly from CVG to PHL and then from PHL to Glasgow, Scotland by US airway. US Air delays prior to us leaving CVG resulted in missing the direct flight to Scotland and flying to London and then Glasgow. All 8 sets of clubs did not show up until the 2nd morning. We were told by locals that golfers coming through London do not get there clubs 40-50% of the time as the planes are loaded with cargo that gets priority over clubs. As a result, we missed our first tee time. Hidden Links got our tee time and pick up times adjusted to the end of the day but we only got 14 good holes in at Turnberry until it was too dark to play. Avoid London if at all possible and consider not playing day 1 in the event something like this occurs. The return flight was from Edinburg to PHL and PHL to CVG. There were no issues coming back.

1) Consider NOT playing day 1. Far too much uncertainly with travel. Settle in, rest, release the travel stresses and maybe see some sites. Airline delays can cause many, many issues. You may not have clubs, you may have had zero sleep and you may miss your pre-paid tee time or be forced to play in a zombie state of mind.

2) Get a light weight carry bag and get in walking shape. Although it may be reported that the courses are "designed to walk", mounds, dunes, etc... are all hills according to your body and a 6,200-6,400 yd course is still a 6,200-6,400 yd courses and you will be walking and carrying your bag.

3) Consider a pull/push cart at least some of the time. Bring a bungee cord. The rented push/pull carts may have well worn straps and make sure the brake works before you head out with it or your bag may wind up in a berm. Trust me on this, I know. Electric pull/push carts are available to rent but far more expensive than the push/pull carts.

4) Consider taking a short set. I left my 4 hybrid at home and choked down on my 3 hybrid when I needed the 4. I should have left my 60* at home. You'll need bounce on your wedge to get out of these bunkers but bounce is bad everywhere else. The fairways in Scotland are tight. I used my SW and left my 60* in the hotel.

5) Take plenty of balls as you may lose many. Very tall, thick grass. Go cheap. High spin, high cost balls and 60* wedges have little value when the play is to putt from 0- 80 yds or more in. I putted one from almost 100 yds out. You are very unlikely to use a wedge from less than 80 out.

6) Get a currency app on your phone. It is easy to think of a pound as a dollar but it is not. Check to see what you are actually paying. The conversion at the time of my trip was 1.64 dollars to 1 pound. 20 lbs = $33 and some change.

7) Get a no foreign transaction fee credit card and pin #. It is cheaper to get money from the ATM (3%) than to convert cash (8-12%). Call your credit card company before you leave or it may get shut off. A chip in your CC is not necessary.

8) Take less clothes than you think. The sandy soil falls right off and the wind dries everything out very fast. With today's modern fabrics, simply rinse out and hang dry as needed --- it really won't be needed. Two pair of pants for the course and a pair of jeans or two for off the course will do. Honestly, nothing anyone wore ever looked dirty despite the wind/rain and bunkers.

9) High quality rain gear including rain golf gloves and waterproof golf shoes are a must. Take a waterproof hat with a tie down strap. I took two pair of golf shoes for golf and only needed one. No shorts were worn by anyone the week we went (mid-Aug, 2014).

10) Attitude is everything. When the game goes south or the weather is bad, concentrate on the sights where you are. You can ruin your trip very quickly if you let the weather and/or your golf game drive your attitude.

11) Consider taking a day off from golf in the middle for site seeing. It may help the body recover.

12) Don't be afraid to mix it up if people are struggling with their games. Consider a mid-week Shamble or Scramble. We did a one day shamble to "mostly" take the tee ball out of play. A shamble is when all tee off and you play from the best tee ball position but play your own ball in the rest of the way.

13) Afternoon/late tee times and lack of transportation may make it difficult to see the sites. Consider early tee times.

14) If you are in a group and renting a vehicle, be sure to consider trunk space as a hard golf travel case may not fit in the trunk. If you use a travel service to set up your golf and transportation, you may need additional transportation to see the sites.

15) You'll need a 3 prong 240v adapter to charge your electronics. Most electronics are set up for 120/240 so you will not need a full scale adapter. I got mine for $11 at RadioShack. By the way, electronics charge much faster with 240v than 120v.

16) Consider leaving the laptop at home and just use your smart phone. I took my tablet and never really used it although a downloaded movie or two for the plane ride would be nice.

17) Set up your cell service by calling your provider before you leave. Be aware of the costs associated with using it. Using your smart phone or tablet to FaceTime your family may be your best means of contact.

18) Less is more when packing and attitude is everything. Stay positive and enjoy the sites.

19) Take a caddy at St Andrews. The stories he will tell as he gives you the names of the bunkers and the history make it well worth it. Besides that, you will have no clue as to where to hit your tee shots and listen to him on the greens. We got one caddy for the group and all tipped him.

20) Stick to safe food choices. I like to try new stuff as much as anyone but why risk losing a day to an upset stomach or worse.

21) Go back and re-read #8 and #18. Take less than you think you will need.

I hope this helps,

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

those notes are really good, we were there for 8 days i think i wore 2 pair of pants the whole time(for golf) and i had rain pants. second we went in august, it was cool, or cold. i wore about 2 different shirts. unless youre really messy your shirts wont get super sweaty and youll have layers under so they will absorb the funk. and i wore those repeatedly too. i packed all things golf related into my golf travel bag, weigh it before leaving to avoid extra charges. step on a bathroom scale dry and then with the bag. you arent going to a 3rd world country you can buy anything you forget or may want over there.

drink belhavens best. good beer
there is a crappy hamburger stand on the way to st andrews from edinburgh. good place for a crappy burger and locals are really chatty. its a green shack.
late night in st andrews there is a doner kebob place right near the hostel on the main drag. stays open really late and has good drunk food. st andrews is a park you can walk around the course even if you arent playing golf.
if youre renting a car get a gps.
the showers at carnoustie were nice. plan on changing there and showering. the towels are like blankets in size.
the mexican joint on the main drag at st andrews isnt good.
have a good effn time.

[quote name='prsgtrman' timestamp='1441238911' post='12254198']
those notes are really good, we were there for 8 days i think i wore 2 pair of pants the whole time(for golf) and i had rain pants. second we went in august, it was cool, or cold. i wore about 2 different shirts. unless youre really messy your shirts wont get super sweaty and youll have layers under so they will absorb the funk. and i wore those repeatedly too. i packed all things golf related into my golf travel bag, weigh it before leaving to avoid extra charges. step on a bathroom scale dry and then with the bag. you arent going to a 3rd world country you can buy anything you forget or may want over there.

drink belhavens best. good beer
there is a crappy hamburger stand on the way to st andrews from edinburgh. good place for a crappy burger and locals are really chatty. its a green shack.
late night in st andrews there is a doner kebob place right near the hostel on the main drag. stays open really late and has good drunk food. st andrews is a park you can walk around the course even if you arent playing golf.
if youre renting a car get a gps.
the showers at carnoustie were nice. plan on changing there and showering. the towels are like blankets in size.
the mexican joint on the main drag at st andrews isnt good.
have a good effn time.
[/quote]

2nd the Belhavens Best. Once I tried it over there I think that's all I had. Also, go to the dunvgan. Great place. The owner is from Houston so you can get Americanized food there.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

HOLY COW!!! That might be the best, most elaborate, response to any WRX question...ever. Thanks Cwing!

Funny enough we are using the Hidden Links organizer as well. I trust that you not mentioning how horrible they were means they did a pretty good job. So far they have been well organized and provided a lot of information.

We are flying in a day early and staying in Edinburgh for one night then off to St Andrews. In St Andrews we are staying at a small hotel a block away from the Old Course for the entire trip. Hopefully not moving around will make life a bit easier. Other than the first day we are golfing every day, so no more days off. We should have time to see some sights in St Andrews and Edinburgh at least.

A few more specific questions;

- Did you bother with an umbrella? I've read that it is usually so windy it is more work that it's worth.
- We signed up for caddies (more to get the full experience than we are incapable of carrying our own). Did you only do caddies at St A or did you do them other places too? Just wondering if it is worth it. I walk all the time so carrying doesn't bother me.
- We don't have tee times at St A, so we are counting on the lottery or singles line. Based on reading other posts I think we should be OK given it's October. Did you have any experience with either of those processes?
- So, the million $ question. The avg temps in Oct are supposed to be ~56 high and 45 Low. Is that what it is going to feel like or with the wind chill will it feel notably colder? Usually in Winter (granted its Atlanta) I play in long sleeve compression shirt, short or long sleeve golf shirt, pull over wind shirt (non waterproof), then if needed my rain jacket over that. Regular pants with long underwear and wool socks. What adjustments would make sense for weather in Scotland? I don't currently have rain pants but am buying some for the trip. Also have both rain gloves and winter gloves. BTW, rain gloves may be one of the best golf accessories I own.
- Did most restaurants and pubs have dress codes or am I good leaving the blazer at home? We certainly want to 'experience' the environment, but we aren't really a fine dining crew if it takes a lot of effort.

Thanks again for the help/guidance. Getting excited for the trip!

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1441237881' post='12254114']
I made myself some notes in the event I ever take another overseas golf trip again. Here are those notes.

Our trip was to Scotland on August, 2014. We went through Hidden Links Golf. They have course profiles on you tube and are on the web.

We stayed at the South Beach Hotel (3 nights) and played Turnberry Ailsa, Western Gailes and could play 36 at Troon. 18 on the Royal Troon Portland course and 18 on the Royal Troon Old course. Most, including me, only played the Old Royal course which is the championship course.

We then traveled a few hours and played Cruden Bay, stayed one night at Kilmarnock Arms B&B and played Trump International in the morning and then traveled a few hours to the Dunvegan Hotel for our last 3 nights which is app 130 yds from the 18th green and #1 tee on the Old Course at St Andrews. Once at the Dunvegan, we played the Championship course at Carnoustie, Kingsbarnes and the Old Course at St Andrews.

Our Hidden Links cost included pick up and drop off at the airport, all lodging fees, all greens fees except St Andrews, transportation (motor coach) to 6 of the 8 courses and all lodges ( we stayed in 3 different bed and breakfasts). Both Royal Troon and St Andrews were within walking distance from the bed/breakfast and transportation was not provided. Breakfast was included each morning except the day we arrived. Lunch/dinner/drinks were not provided but there were many places to go within walking distance while in Troon and St Andrews. Additional transportation may be needed depending on how much site seeing (castles) you want to do.

Originally we were set to fly from CVG to PHL and then from PHL to Glasgow, Scotland by US airway. US Air delays prior to us leaving CVG resulted in missing the direct flight to Scotland and flying to London and then Glasgow. All 8 sets of clubs did not show up until the 2nd morning. We were told by locals that golfers coming through London do not get there clubs 40-50% of the time as the planes are loaded with cargo that gets priority over clubs. As a result, we missed our first tee time. Hidden Links got our tee time and pick up times adjusted to the end of the day but we only got 14 good holes in at Turnberry until it was too dark to play. Avoid London if at all possible and consider not playing day 1 in the event something like this occurs. The return flight was from Edinburg to PHL and PHL to CVG. There were no issues coming back.

1) Consider NOT playing day 1. Far too much uncertainly with travel. Settle in, rest, release the travel stresses and maybe see some sites. Airline delays can cause many, many issues. You may not have clubs, you may have had zero sleep and you may miss your pre-paid tee time or be forced to play in a zombie state of mind.

2) Get a light weight carry bag and get in walking shape. Although it may be reported that the courses are "designed to walk", mounds, dunes, etc... are all hills according to your body and a 6,200-6,400 yd course is still a 6,200-6,400 yd courses and you will be walking and carrying your bag.

3) Consider a pull/push cart at least some of the time. Bring a bungee cord. The rented push/pull carts may have well worn straps and make sure the brake works before you head out with it or your bag may wind up in a berm. Trust me on this, I know. Electric pull/push carts are available to rent but far more expensive than the push/pull carts.

4) Consider taking a short set. I left my 4 hybrid at home and choked down on my 3 hybrid when I needed the 4. I should have left my 60* at home. You'll need bounce on your wedge to get out of these bunkers but bounce is bad everywhere else. The fairways in Scotland are tight. I used my SW and left my 60* in the hotel.

5) Take plenty of balls as you may lose many. Very tall, thick grass. Go cheap. High spin, high cost balls and 60* wedges have little value when the play is to putt from 0- 80 yds or more in. I putted one from almost 100 yds out. You are very unlikely to use a wedge from less than 80 out.

6) Get a currency app on your phone. It is easy to think of a pound as a dollar but it is not. Check to see what you are actually paying. The conversion at the time of my trip was 1.64 dollars to 1 pound. 20 lbs = $33 and some change.

7) Get a no foreign transaction fee credit card and pin #. It is cheaper to get money from the ATM (3%) than to convert cash (8-12%). Call your credit card company before you leave or it may get shut off. A chip in your CC is not necessary.

8) Take less clothes than you think. The sandy soil falls right off and the wind dries everything out very fast. With today's modern fabrics, simply rinse out and hang dry as needed --- it really won't be needed. Two pair of pants for the course and a pair of jeans or two for off the course will do. Honestly, nothing anyone wore ever looked dirty despite the wind/rain and bunkers.

9) High quality rain gear including rain golf gloves and waterproof golf shoes are a must. Take a waterproof hat with a tie down strap. I took two pair of golf shoes for golf and only needed one. No shorts were worn by anyone the week we went (mid-Aug, 2014).

10) Attitude is everything. When the game goes south or the weather is bad, concentrate on the sights where you are. You can ruin your trip very quickly if you let the weather and/or your golf game drive your attitude.

11) Consider taking a day off from golf in the middle for site seeing. It may help the body recover.

12) Don't be afraid to mix it up if people are struggling with their games. Consider a mid-week Shamble or Scramble. We did a one day shamble to "mostly" take the tee ball out of play. A shamble is when all tee off and you play from the best tee ball position but play your own ball in the rest of the way.

13) Afternoon/late tee times and lack of transportation may make it difficult to see the sites. Consider early tee times.

14) If you are in a group and renting a vehicle, be sure to consider trunk space as a hard golf travel case may not fit in the trunk. If you use a travel service to set up your golf and transportation, you may need additional transportation to see the sites.

15) You'll need a 3 prong 240v adapter to charge your electronics. Most electronics are set up for 120/240 so you will not need a full scale adapter. I got mine for $11 at RadioShack. By the way, electronics charge much faster with 240v than 120v.

16) Consider leaving the laptop at home and just use your smart phone. I took my tablet and never really used it although a downloaded movie or two for the plane ride would be nice.

17) Set up your cell service by calling your provider before you leave. Be aware of the costs associated with using it. Using your smart phone or tablet to FaceTime your family may be your best means of contact.

18) Less is more when packing and attitude is everything. Stay positive and enjoy the sites.

19) Take a caddy at St Andrews. The stories he will tell as he gives you the names of the bunkers and the history make it well worth it. Besides that, you will have no clue as to where to hit your tee shots and listen to him on the greens. We got one caddy for the group and all tipped him.

20) Stick to safe food choices. I like to try new stuff as much as anyone but why risk losing a day to an upset stomach or worse.

I hope this helps,
[/quote]

Hi OP - I posted a summary of trip last year, you might find a few useful bits in it: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1110875-wonderful-scotland-golf-trip-reviewinfo/page__p__10589111#entry10589111"]http://www.golfwrx.c...1#entry10589111[/url]

I'm going back to the UK tomorrow for two weeks and will be playing largely in England and Wales this time. As long as you have an open mind about the weather that may confront you, you'll have a great time :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='thbrewst' timestamp='1441295344' post='12257202']
Sorry. Knew it wasn't lottery, but the actual named escaped me and I was too lazy to look it up.

Ballot, got it. :D
[/quote]

It's no problem, but the Scots that are involved in Golf are incredibly proud of their traditions, their history and their Courses, and whilst it doesn't offend in any way, they will definitely pick you up on it. So whilst all the practical stuff is really useful info for any visitor, it's greatly appreciated and respected for any visitor to do some research on the history of the Courses they will be playing. This goes down really well with the locals, and I would say it's as important as what clothing to take or where to get a Burger.

Sept 2012

Stayed 2 blocks from first tee of Old Course. We got on twice in 9 days as a foursome via the ballot

Bring a prepped liver

Bring two pairs of shoes, bring the umbrella. Get an expensive impermeable jacket (which will come on and off). Bring a toque and winter gloves

The town is awesome for dining and sightseeing and golf shopping

Old Course great. Kingsbarns my favorite. Some guys in our group played it twice

We played Jubilee after flying overnight. First 6 holes a snorefest then the fun began. Play the New if you can, dead solid. Some of our guys hated the Castle due to the wild greens

Carnoustie was a beast

Winds: had gusts of 60mph at the Old. I hit a 190 yard drive into the wind on 18 on day and almost drove the green day 2. Downwind you can hit 350 yard drives quite easily (I carry it 265 as a reference)

We got winded out of Muirfiled with 80-100mph gusts

Learn how to play off firm turf and learn how to hit low bullets. The texas wedge is a must, by week's end you are putting from everywhere and sometimes around pot bunkers

Do not get discouraged if you don't play great, it's about the experience

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='thbrewst' timestamp='1441287926' post='12256514']

- Did most restaurants and pubs have dress codes or am I good leaving the blazer at home? We certainly want to 'experience' the environment, but we aren't really a fine dining crew if it takes a lot of effort.

[/quote]

Ha, you really have never been to Scotland.

The dress code for most pubs extends to wearing trousers and possibly avoiding football (soccer) shirts. There are some local, ahem, rivalries in football.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

Your welcome. Simply put, I wanted to have a reference for a future trip.

Hidden Links was very good. Given our flight delays and missing clubs, they re-arranged our tee times the first 2 days.

Umbrella - in my opinion no unless you want to use it walking around town. Quailty rain gear including a rain proof hat preferably with a draw strap to ensure it stays on. A knit hat if it is cold. Also golf specific rain or cold weather gloves.

We only used a caddie at the Old Course. His stories were priceless. We used one. He gave advice on the tee and at the green which is really all o e needs. Each of us gave him a tip. You could save a few bucks by only one person getting a caddie each round and everyone in the group dropping him a tip at the end.

Ask the folks where you are staying, they may be able to help you get on the Old Course or they can offer suggestions.

Colder - factor in the standard windchill factor. 45* and 20+ mph winds will be cold. I took two pair of UA water resistant, fall/winter golf pants I found on clearance at Dick's and my water proof Nike Storm-Fit rain pants. They were perfect. NOTE: if your rain gear is more than a few years old, there are products available that will renew the water proofing. I did just that as my Storm Fit rain pants are several years old.

We never went anywhere that more than standard golf attire was required. Ive read some of the course clubhouses may require a jacket but we didn't go that route.

[quote name='thbrewst' timestamp='1441287926' post='12256514']
HOLY COW!!! That might be the best, most elaborate, response to any WRX question...ever. Thanks Cwing!

Funny enough we are using the Hidden Links organizer as well. I trust that you not mentioning how horrible they were means they did a pretty good job. So far they have been well organized and provided a lot of information.

We are flying in a day early and staying in Edinburgh for one night then off to St Andrews. In St Andrews we are staying at a small hotel a block away from the Old Course for the entire trip. Hopefully not moving around will make life a bit easier. Other than the first day we are golfing every day, so no more days off. We should have time to see some sights in St Andrews and Edinburgh at least.

- Did you bother with an umbrella? I've read that it is usually so windy it is more work that it's worth.
- We signed up for caddies (more to get the full experience than we are incapable of carrying our own). Did you only do caddies at St A or did you do them other places too? Just wondering if it is worth it. I walk all the time so carrying doesn't bother me.
- We don't have tee times at St A, so we are counting on the lottery or singles line. Based on reading other posts I think we should be OK given it's October. Did you have any experience with either of those processes?
- So, the million $ question. The avg temps in Oct are supposed to be ~56 high and 45 Low. Is that what it is going to feel like or with the wind chill will it feel notably colder? Usually in Winter (granted its Atlanta) I play in long sleeve compression shirt, short or long sleeve golf shirt, pull over wind shirt (non waterproof), then if needed my rain jacket over that. Regular pants with long underwear and wool socks. What adjustments would make sense for weather in Scotland? I don't currently have rain pants but am buying some for the trip. Also have both rain gloves and winter gloves. BTW, rain gloves may be one of the best golf accessories I own.

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1441237881' post='12254114']

I hope this helps,
[/quote]
[/quote]

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

I have only been a couple of times but the temperature will feel substantially cooler than the number.

Walk around town and stop wherever it suits you. We did a pub crawl drinking different whiskys and there was one bar with about 100, we couldn't try them all. Prep the liver as cardoustie noted.

It is easy to sucked into "golf" only. It's a fun town if you wander it. My first time we did all golf things, dunvegans walked the course, etc. Second time we checked out the church (now ruins), the campus, and the castle and enjoyed that much more.

Get caddies whenever you can, they make it more Scottish and can tell you the history. Also you will score better.

Have fun.

Personally I don't bother with an umbrella, I find it to be too much of a hassle unless you have an electric trolley with a brolley holder.

I got on the old course via the ballot in April on the second attempt, should not really be a big problem in October.

The clothes you are describing sound fine, in Perth during winter I played wearing some lined trousers, under armour, shirt, thin 1/4 zip jumper most of the time. The key is one of them Buff type things which I find to be a game changer.

Screen-shot-2011-02-27-at-3.49.09-PM.png

If you are buying waterproof bottoms make sure to buy properly, anything rated less than 10,000mm is pointless. Very good food can be had in Scotland and you shouldn't be turned away from anywhere in some standard jeans and a shirt at even the nicest places around St Andrews. If you do end up looking for a top notch dinner I suggest booking early at the Peat Inn which is truly excellent, otherwise there are plenty of nice restaurants in town. Get some fish & chips at Anstruther (excellent) and play the 9 hole course there if you have a spare afternoon if only to see what is by consensus the hardest par 3 in the country.

Just reread your original post. Which course is it you are playing at Gleneagles? If its the Ryder Cup one switch it to one of the others. Both are much better.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"