Winter Getaway Ideas?

My wife and I are looking at a week-long getaway somewhere this winter: somewhere that's warm and around water. I have the green light to bring the clubs and would like to play two or three times.

Where have you been? What would you choose?

San Diego, Dominican Republic, Miami, Tampa/St. Pete all come to mind. This wouldn't be a "golf" vacation but I think a large resort that offers everything and has a golf course or two on it would fit the bill.

Let's get this party started.

Comments

• jasonbrianjasonbrian Royal Members Posts: 24
    I got an email from My Golf Concierge today they are offering 10% off all golf vacations might be worth a shot
  • BargegolfBargegolf Members Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Casa de Campo (3 courses including Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore within compound, villa accommodation) or Punta Cana (several high quality courses such as Punta Espada, Corales and Cap Cana and Iberostar Grand Hotel is excellent) in the Dominican Republic
  • jimwgt26jimwgt26 Members Posts: 1,180 ✭✭
    edited Oct 3, 2014 #4
    Last year the wife and I went to Turks and Caicos. We stayed at a nice little hotel, The Royal West Indies, right on the beach in Grace Bay. The Provo Golf club is a 5 minute walk up the road. The course is decent, and well maintained. I paid around $600 for a one week pass, and played early every morning. I was back in the hotel room before she got up. One day, she went to a spa, so I played 54 holes. The Island is great, it's everything you want in the Caribbean, and none of the terrible touristy stuff that makes you cringe. We will definitely go back.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • golfernut78golfernut78 BOOMER SOONER Members Posts: 3,448
    jimwgt26 wrote:

Last year the wife and I went to Turks and Caicos. We stayed at a nice little hotel, The Royal West Indies, right on the beach in Grace Bay. The Provo Golf club is a 5 minute walk up the road. The course is decent, and well maintained. I paid around $600 for a one week pass, and played early every morning. I was back in the hotel room before she got up. One day, she went to a spa, so I played 54 holes. The Island is great, it's everything you want in the Caribbean, and none of the terrible touristy stuff that makes you cringe. We will definitely go back.

did you rent clubs or bring your own clubs? my wife and i are heading there in a couple of weeks and i am debating bring my clubs. the fact that i have a full extra set now, i am not overly concerned if the set is delayed, damaged or lost (probably would get more for them being lost then if i sold them). last trip we took that i rented clubs, it was just a bad fit and made for a disappointing round.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]scotty cameron newport beach[/font]
  • jimwgt26jimwgt26 Members Posts: 1,180 ✭✭
    edited Sep 1, 2015 #6
    jimwgt26 wrote:

did you rent clubs or bring your own clubs? my wife and i are heading there in a couple of weeks and i am debating bring my clubs. the fact that i have a full extra set now, i am not overly concerned if the set is delayed, damaged or lost (probably would get more for them being lost then if i sold them). last trip we took that i rented clubs, it was just a bad fit and made for a disappointing round.

I brought mine. The extra bag fee the airline charges will be less than the club rental fee. I paid around $10 to leave them in their bag room.

Your comment about clubs being worth more lost than on the secondhand market is right on. Southwest lost my clubs for 24hrs this summer. I was pissed, until I started adding up everything in my bag. Then I was praying for them to be lost:)

Have a great trip, report back.
  • GdaneGdane Members Posts: 238 ✭✭
    Fairmont Mayakoba in Riviera Maya. El Chamaleon Golf Course hosts a PGA event each year, and the resort is TOP NOTCH.
    TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
    Ping I3 2-PW Blue
    Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
    Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
    Ping Karsten Ally i Putter