Rockford Area - Winnebago Co. Forest Preserve

I'm interested in opinions on Winnebago County Forest Preserve courses in the Rocford, IL area. I enjoy finding courses with good bones and I'm wondering if Macktown and/or Atwood Homestead qualify. I played nine at The Ledges last fall and thought, there's something here.

Can anyone comment?

Yes, I know about Aldeen (dislike), Prairie View (love), and Blackstone (love)...that's not what I'm after this time around. I would put places like Lost Nation, Silver Ridge, and Wolf Hollow (Lena Golf Club) in the "good bones" category.

So...Macktown? Atwood Homestead?

Thanks

Comments

• 815Golfer815Golfer Members Posts: 9
    edited Aug 11, 2015 #2

I'm interested in opinions on Winnebago County Forest Preserve courses in the Rocford, IL area. I enjoy finding courses with good bones and I'm wondering if Macktown and/or Atwood Homestead qualify. I played nine at The Ledges last fall and thought, there's something here.

Can anyone comment?

Yes, I know about Aldeen (dislike), Prairie View (love), and Blackstone (love)...that's not what I'm after this time around. I would put places like Lost Nation, Silver Ridge, and Wolf Hollow (Lena Golf Club) in the "good bones" category.

So...Macktown? Atwood Homestead?

Thanks

Aldeen is the best public course in the Rockford area, not sure how someone can dislike it. Atwood is a bit more open with some large challenging greens. Macktown is okay. It has quite a few trees and a couple fun holes. My main complaint about Macktown is that it can get ridiculously buggy. In my opinion the Ledges is the best of the 3 Forest Preserve Courses. It actually started out as a private club back in the day. Also worth checking out might be Timber Pointe in Poplar Grove, IL. If you're looking for something more wide open check out Swan Hills in Belvidere or Westlake Golf Course just west of Rockford.
  • bossman641bossman641 Members Posts: 307 ✭✭✭✭
    Macktown is really short, under 5800. I'd put atwood above macktown and timber pointe above both of them
  • CDMackFisherCDMackFisher Members Posts: 42
    Are either respondent familiar with Wolf Hollow (Lena)? How would Timber Pointe and Westlake compare?
  • 815Golfer815Golfer Members Posts: 9
    Timber Pointe would be the most similar out of the courses listed. Westlake is more open, still a fun course, but not as challenging. I'd rank the courses as:

Blackstone

Aldeen

Timber Pointe

Wolf Hollow

Ledges

Westlake

Atwood

Swan Hills

Macktown
  • zer0zer0 Members Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    what does "good bones" mean? I've never heard that before.
  • CDMackFisherCDMackFisher Members Posts: 42
    zer0 wrote:

what does "good bones" mean? I've never heard that before.

When I think "good bones", I think of a thoughtful and compelling design that is lacking in care of the turf and/or lack of amenities. It might have a gravel parking lot, spartan clubhouse, long fairway grass, and unkempt bunkers. The casual golfer might say, "It's a dump...I'd rather play the new Nicklaus design (and pay $100+)". A more insightful player with an interest in routing, variety, strategy, and fun might see interesting playing corridors, cleverly placed bunkers, challenging green complexes and say, "If this place were tidied up a bit, and cared for properly, it could be very highly rated track." A place like Kankakee Elks (IL)...if you squint, you can see a poor man's Lawsonia. Or, at least that's my opinion. Keep the 50k sq-ft clubhouse and bag drop attendants, I want smooth, fast greens, flat tee boxes, and good golf holes.

Golf!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file