Does interest in golf ever fade away?

g8tor20

As a background, I've been playing since I was 8 and i'm now 36. Anyways, I really started playing a lot of rounds about 2 years ago. Before that it was mostly 10 to 15 rounds a year with buddies.

I recently got paired with a very nice older gentleman. He told me he used to be a PGA teaching pro and was better than scratch but doesn't get the enjoyment from the game as he used to. Said its been tough going from having every shot in the bag to not being able to do what he used to.

So that got me thinking. I'm having a blast playing about 30-40 rounds a year now. I've gone from about a 13 cap to an 8 in the last few years. I hope this "chase for great golf" never ends as I get older. Does it?

Ive been thinking about the same thing lately. I hope it doesnt for me either. I play or practice nearly every day( Im single with no kids). I havent felt the least bit of burnout this year. Last year I went through a 2 week "break" which I basically had to because of a pulled muscle in my neck. I like to practice more than play and that may not be for everyone. Im definitely a range rat.

My dad was around a 4 cap 10 to 15 years ago. A bad back has made playing for him harder but he would still get 30 rounds a year here in the last couple years and his cap now is at a 10. This year however hes probably only played 12 to 15 rounds. He told me the other day he just doesnt feel like playing. His words were that hes "just not feeling it this year". My season only lasts 7 to 8 months max so the winter is a good break even though I still hit the heated stalls.

[quote name='Benco' timestamp='1441327133' post='12260322']
Depends on why you play. Do you play for fun?
[/quote]

Yes. 100% for fun. I play a ton of sports but always love the fact that, in golf, there is no defense. Nobody to blame but myself. I love the challenge to be better.

But of course I've only gotten better thru the years. It was sad to see someone who was on the other side of the hill and didn't get the enjoyment from it.

I don't ever see me getting there cause I'll take on whatever challenges there are....at least I hope....

I think for older golfers who were once really good, its really tough for them to not be able to play as they once did due to strength and flexibility deterioration.

Its as if at some point their game stops progressing and begins regressing. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it for them.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Yes.

For me it's around the 4th hole when I have somehow managed to start bogey - DB - bogey.....

But then I finish the round on 18 with some incredible shot and I forget all about those first three bad holes.

But serious, it's called a game for life for a reason. So long as the body allows that is.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1441330735' post='12260588']
I think for older golfers who were once really good, its really tough for them to not be able to play as they once did due to strength and flexibility deterioration.

Its as if at some point their game stops progressing and begins regressing. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it for them.
[/quote]

Absolutely correct. Once you are forced to admit that you can no longer play at the level you used to,a lot of the enjoyment goes away.
A lot of guys will stick with it.but for others,the love remains,but the body says otherwise !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I'll be turning 54 years old in 18 days, I've had so many injuries over the last 3 years that my competitive fire had almost been extinguished. My swing speed has been cut down below 90 mph (from about 118) as some of my injuries still nag me and are really slow to heal. I haven't played half as much this season as I usually would. I realize that I'm getting older, but would still like to someday regain my competitive fire. Maybe this winter I'll drop a few pounds, do more strength conditioning and see what next year brings... If you can play - the interest and drive to get better never ends.

Titleist 913D3 7.75* w/RIP Phenom 60 Stiff Flex
Titleist 913F 12.75* w/RIP Phenom 80 Stiff Flex
Titleist 983K 8.5* w/Project X 7C3 Stiff Flex
Callaway FT Tour 18* w/Project X 5.5 Graphite
Titleist 690.MB 2-Pw w/Project X Flighted 6.0
Vokey Spin-Milled - 54/11, 59/06 & 64/07 w/TTS300
Yes! Nicky @ 32" w/UST Freq Filtered Shaft
Yes! Callie-fc Blackout @ 31.5" (Alternate 1)
Odyssey Black Series #1 w/UST Freq. Filtered Shaft
IOmic Grips throughout the bag...

[quote name='g8tor20' timestamp='1441326414' post='12260258']
As a background, I've been playing since I was 8 and i'm now 36. Anyways, I really started playing a lot of rounds about 2 years ago. Before that it was mostly 10 to 15 rounds a year with buddies.

I recently got paired with a very nice older gentleman. He told me he used to be a PGA teaching pro and was better than scratch but doesn't get the enjoyment from the game as he used to. Said its been tough going from having every shot in the bag to not being able to do what he used to.

So that got me thinking. I'm having a blast playing about 30-40 rounds a year now. I've gone from about a 13 cap to an 8 in the last few years. I hope this "chase for great golf" never ends as I get older. Does it?
[/quote]

The older gentleman you played with is an exception, not the norm. PGA professionals work a million hours a week in a golf operation. That man dedicated his life to the game so if he's not feeling it, that's ok. Everyone else should try and find the fun in the game no matter their skill level.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

Man I sure hope it doesn't. I'm really looking forward to being one of the retired guys I see at the course every day who does nothing but play golf for a little dough and hang out with pals. Having a full time job, responsibilities, and kids can really put a cramp on golfing freedom. As long as I'm healthy I can't imagine not having the drive to play.

Ping G25 AD DI 7s
TaylorMade Burner 07 FW
Adams Super 9031 3H Proto
TaylorMade Burner 4H
Ping I20 5-U
Ping Glide 54 WS and 58 ES
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant

My husband is 68 years old, he's been playing for 30 years, and he's currently playing to his lowest handicap, ever. Retired with more time to practice, and he's playing smarter. He's given up the hero shot for taking his medicine and getting the ball back in play and I can't remember the last time he had a three putt. The goal is scratch by 70.

You can always get better at this game; I play all the time with old guys who shoot their age and get up and down from everywhere. If you're competitive at all, you just keep setting new challenges.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='golfgirlrobin' timestamp='1441335432' post='12261050']
My husband is 68 years old, he's been playing for 30 years, and he's currently playing to his lowest handicap, ever. Retired with more time to practice, and he's playing smarter. He's given up the hero shot for taking his medicine and getting the ball back in play and I can't remember the last time he had a three putt. The goal is scratch by 70.

You can always get better at this game; I play all the time with old guys who shoot their age and get up and down from everywhere. If you're competitive at all, you just keep setting new challenges.
[/quote]

Yep, hope that's me at 68.

"Interest" usually ends right about when obsession takes over.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

It has for me - but luckily it is coming back.

I've been on golf courses since before I could walk. After high school, I lived in Florida and my entire life was golf. I worked at courses, hit thousands of balls a week, and wanted to make a living in the golf business (either playing or being a teaching pro). Eventually I had some injuries requiring multiple surgeries, moved out of Florida, and the idea of making my living in golf became less and less a reality. Once I pursued another career, had a family, etc.. golf became a distant memory. I've probably played 5-10 rounds of golf in the last 6 years.

On the bright side, in the past few months my interest has come back. The idea of playing some amateur events and being competitive again has gotten me motivated to work on my game.

I'm 47. I played a ton as a child/teenager - absolutely loved it. I hardly played in my twenties due to work and in my thirties I played a few times year.

In my forties my interest in the game came back and now I am basically obsessed with the game. My things in life are running, guitar, skiing, and golf. All four are always present but they alternate in how much I participate.

So, yes - I can see where your golf may take a back seat but that's fine as long as something else is replacing the fun.

For me at age 63 by the time the cold weather rolls around I'm ready to take a break. I seem to get energized over the winter and by the time spring gets here I'm hyped up to play. Hope it continues that way.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1441335596' post='12261070']
[quote name='golfgirlrobin' timestamp='1441335432' post='12261050']

[/quote]

Yep, hope that's me at 68.
[/quote]

Me too! Me too! LOL. I'm 62 and retiring in about 3 more years and hoping
I can finally put in the time then. I've played off and on for nearly 40 years
but never really became an "avid" golfer til about 9 years ago. Don't have
the time right now and it's a little frustrating in that respect but there is
light at the end of the tunnel. Hope lives on!

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1441330735' post='12260588']

[/quote]

I remember when we had a "senior" forum on here and this very subject came
up in a thread. And many did have a waning interest because they viewed their
best days as behind them. Not much you can say to someone who used to be
a +4 and is now a 12. Some turned to Hickory golf.....and that may be why the
forum name was later changed, now that I think of it.

Physical problems are the biggest culprit IMHO. Some have injuries and/or
ailments that have diminished their ability to play as well as they once did
and they lose interest.

As far as just diminished skills I guess it's an individual thing. What motivates
a guy like Lee Trevino to keep playing as much as he does? The only thing
I can think of is he just loves playing!

I like to hear about the guys that are still playing in their 80s and beyond.
It motivates and inspires me. Maybe someday I can shoot my age!

i had that one time a few years ago when my interest faded greatly. I was hooking everything a country mile and i was badly out of shape, and it just got worse and worse... turned out i had the opposite approach to what i needed to do... i was thinking more "inside" and "ball back" would work... that just made it worse. Once i took a lesson i was put on the right path and put the ball a bit forward from where it was and worked on keeping the club head in front of me more throughout the swing... took out the hand flip at the start of my swing and made it more one piece. Since then my interest has risen to an all new high because now i can hit a fairway with an 8 iron... lol.

Titleist TSR2 10 deg with Ventus TR Blue 6

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 deg 3 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Titleist TSR2  18 deg 5 wood with Ventus TR Blue 7

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges ?? 

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

Mine did after getting down to single digits in the 90s. Also started a second family in 2000. I would go in and out. Right now I'm starting to wane due to certain nagging injuries. BUT I know it will come back. Think it is up to each individual.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Just as you get old it doesn't mean you can't get better either. My dad used to be a mid to low 80s player, he had a great swing and still does fundamentally, he just thinks so much and
doubts himself that he has trouble breaking 100 now, with nearly the same swing. He's definitely discouraged, but I think hes getting a larger love and dedication to the game as he tries to get better. Part of the fun is seeing improvement and striving to play better as you get older.

Educators say, "Learning is a lifelong journey. ". I think "Golf is a lifetime of learning.". Between TV instruction, DVDs, books, lessons, experience and practice, I keep learning more and more about this game. I just hope I'm learning faster than my health is deteriorating!

Driver: TaylorMade M1 9.5* Fujikura Pro60 S
4W: Cobra BioCell+ 16* Project X 6.0
Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail Baffler 19*, 22* Tour AD S
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 5i-PW, Shafts: XP105 R300
Wedges: Titleist SM5 50*,56*, 60*
Putter: Oddessey Tank Versa #7

It really depends on the situation. For me, when I was working in the business, working 6 days/week and around it all the time, but not necessarily playing or even teaching (stuck inside selling clubs, or booking tee times) I got pretty resentful of the game. I have a lot of other things I enjoy and when I had free time, I wanted to do some of those things. There was probably a solid 2 years where I didn't enjoy golf at all. I played because it was something to do, but I wasn't having fun.

Now that I'm married and have less free time, I really enjoy playing and can't get enough. I maybe play once a week, or less, but I would play every single day if I didn't have other responsibilities that take up my time. For me, I found my passion again when I distanced myself a little bit from the game and now I constantly think about being on the course and getting better.

I think it's a very personal battle.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x (2019 Version)