Who Uses The Brandt Snedeker Putting Technique?

Gava

I found this youtube video of Brandt Snedeker describing his 'pop' style putting technique;

Apparently it was in vogue a few years ago but faded out of fashion with the pros as green speeds have increased.

Does anyone use it or recommend it?

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 917 D3 9.5° - GD Tour AD MJ 7TX
Titleist 917 F2 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Mizuno MP H4 3 Driving Iron - KBS Tour S
Titleist 718 AP3 4-PW - KBS Tour S+
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 50.12°S
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54.10°[/font]
[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3.0 [/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]58.09°
Scotty 2018 FB 1st of 500[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Global Ltd Fastback[/font]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO it is a personal subjective thing as with everything in golf. Putting is probably the most personal subjective thing in golf. To me it is whatever makes you comfortable and you can make putts doing. I have always said that there is no one set way chiseled in stone to play this game and it applies especially to putting. Do it how ever it feels good to you and you can make putts with

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Absolutely agree Stu. For those of us that struggle on the greens at times it's always good to have a new suggestion to try.

This technique, whilst not new seems a bit radical & unconventional. I tried it at the end of a practice session today and surprisingly felt an instant improvement.

Just gauging other's thoughts, especially if they use this technique.

[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3.0 [/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]58.09°

[quote name='gone_golfing' timestamp='1441702280' post='12279590']
great posting, love the old technique- brings me back to yesteryear.
[/quote]

Tell us more. Whilst I'm now aware of the technique I have no knowledge of it's history, which pros it was popular with etc.

Great putters using a pop stroke were some of the greatest of all time - Walter Hagan, Bobby Locke, Arnold Palmer, Billy Casper, Gary Player, and most recently, Cory Pavin, Brad Faxon, Web Simpson, and Brandt Snedeker.

I see a lot of this type stroke with Rickie Fowler also.

Generally, a heavier putter was used and a great sense of touch is required. A very light grip is recommended so as not to restrict the swinging action of the putter head.

Snedeker's method actually resembles a belly putter's mechanics somewhat - anchoring the putt of the putter and letting the head swing, actually improving accuracy for some players, so that these players concentrate on speed rather than line generally.

Billy Casper interview
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba7_WWzyMoc

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Great insights Texsport - thanks mate.

I putt like this, it is very effective if you have a little bit of touch. I think more guys on tour putt like this than people realize. If you take the word "pop" out of the equation and think compact and short stroke you'll notice quite a few guys do it with success. As texsport said Fowler putts like this with great success. The one thing I notice with myself is that I can be streaky, if you have the pace of the greens down though I think it's the most consistent simple way to start the ball on line.

Interesting comments about the lighter putter. The 'old school' founders of this method from many years ago would all have had light putters I assume, and that AP/8802/Napa style.

My understanding was a heavier modern day putter more like a mini mallet might be the preferred choice.

I think Rickie Fowler's stroke is somewhere in between and his Scotty would be 350? I'm trying this with a 2015 Fastback heavy at 350.

[quote name='harolease' timestamp='1441752359' post='12283502']
I don't have the nerves for Sneds style.
I tend to roll my balls into the cup rather than run then in.
The only time I deliberate "pop" and let the ball run is when facing a putt on uphill slow green
[/quote]

Know what you mean. I tried a round using this method today and one putted the first 3 holes and thought, Eureka! The putts were all 5-8 feet.

Then I was brought back to earth by popping and missing some 2-3 footers. At the end of the round I was using the pop technique for mid to longer putts and more conventional from 3 feet in.

What I found worked better was my slightly heavier mid mallet and a lighter grip allowing the putter to hinge a little in the abbreviated follow through.

You don't necessarily have to have an abbreviated follow through where you abruptly stop the club head from releasing a little bit. I think they key is a short compact stroke that is very repeatable. How you release the putter head is really personal and it shouldn't feel forced in any way. I agree with the heavier head making it easier to putt this way.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1441891241' post='12292710']
You don't necessarily have to have an abbreviated follow through where you abruptly stop the club head from releasing a little bit. I think they key is a short compact stroke that is very repeatable. How you release the putter head is really personal and it shouldn't feel forced in any way. I agree with the heavier head making it easier to putt this way.
[/quote]

Yes good advice Patrick. I found myself almost recoiling at the end of the stroke a few times there so maybe trying a little too hard to shorten the stroke.

It started to feel better when I allowed a little wrist hinge at the end and stopped forcing the abbreviated follow though so much. The experiment continues...

I've been using this putting style for a year or so now. It was an improvement for me. I average about one 3 putt every 2 or 3 rounds since the change. I feel like the ball really stays on a true line with the "pop" stroke.

I believe the "pop" stroke takes a lot of the mental/second guessing out of putting. Pick your line and "pop" it.

I use a plumbers neck DH89 at 350 grams.

In the bag:

Ping G410 Plus 9* Tensei Pro White 60TX
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ 80TX
Titleist T-MB 3 Iron AD-DI 95X
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4 - PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM7 52F & 56S S400
Vokey TVD 60M KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB8 
------------------------------------------------------
Backup Putters:
Scotty Detour Newport 2 Conversion / Scotty 5W Weld Neck / Taylormade Spider Tour

[quote name='Gava' timestamp='1441813474' post='12287694']
[quote name='harolease' timestamp='1441752359' post='12283502']
I don't have the nerves for Sneds style.
I tend to roll my balls into the cup rather than run then in.
The only time I deliberate "pop" and let the ball run is when facing a putt on uphill slow green
[/quote]

Know what you mean. I tried a round using this method today and one putted the first 3 holes and thought, Eureka! The putts were all 5-8 feet.

Then I was brought back to earth by popping and missing some 2-3 footers. At the end of the round I was using the pop technique for mid to longer putts and more conventional from 3 feet in.

What I found worked better was my slightly heavier mid mallet and a lighter grip allowing the putter to hinge a little in the abbreviated follow through.
[/quote]

Watch the video and tried a few Sneds tips.
Keeping butt end from passing the putter head was difficult for me. I felt like I had to `recoil` and decel to prevent big followthru.
The ball did stay on line, Surprising I was able to figure out exactly how much energy was appropriate for my longer rolling putts.
Putts under 10 feet I really could not use this method, I felt like I was going hit the ball more than 5 feet pass the hole.
However if I use my own method and allow the butt end to lead the putter head.( I like a slight foreward press of my hands)
I was more confident inside 10 feet.

Yeah it could be a savior for some (and I'm hoping for me) but it could also confuse your putting stroke altogether. It won't be for everyone.

I'm certain I'm seeing an improvement in practice for anything longer than about 4 foot. Like you though, I can't seem to use it inside that radius with any confidence.

Strange how on the longer putts you 'feel' like your striking it harder and expect it to go way past the hole, yet it seems to stop pretty close. I guess that's what Sneds means by getting the ball rolling quicker?

[quote name='Gava' timestamp='1441694366' post='12279480']
I found this youtube video of Brandt Snedeker describing his 'pop' style putting technique;

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwk2rsEuyZg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwk2rsEuyZg[/url]

Apparently it was in vogue a few years ago but faded out of fashion with the pros as green speeds have increased.

Does anyone use it or recommend it?
[/quote]

I have a very similar putting stroke and its very effective on Bermuda greens. The grain on Bermuda greens can make it difficult to keep the ball on line. A littl pop on short putts makes the ball hold the line better and you make an aggressive stroke. Grain eats up long fluid strokes, the putts just die off very quickly. It still works on fast greens you just have to adjust the amount movement to match the speed. I use less pop and instead make the head lead the way back and trough more fluidly.

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1442014427' post='12301728']
i am firmly against this type of stroke. a smooth stroke with gentle acceleration is much more accurate. just watch loran roberts putt. the ball holds its line better and longer with this type stroke
[/quote]

Interesting you say that Dan, as instructor Bruce Rearick over on PT has compared my usual stroke (via emailing my SAM analysis) to Loren Roberts in terms of set up and follow through. After a year of fiddling and practicing I seem to get only fleeting moments of consistency with it. My longer putts are like Sam's observations above on Bermuda greens, so often my putts just die off well short. I just can't get the speed right with such a slow motion action. That's what it feels like to me anyway.

And now that I think about it, I've possibly always had a tendency to really pop the stroke with those very long, uphill 'off the green' putts that require more energy. I would putt these closer than a breaking 20 footer with the usual 'slo mo' action.

If you're still following this search The Golf Channel and YouTube for Sned's video segment explaining his putting stroke. He's VERY specific about the way he executes it. I don't remember every word, but I do remember him emphasizing getting the head moving first. If you're truly trying to adapt the "pop" that 10 minute segment from the master is very informative.

Here's a link to a segment on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwk2rsEuyZg

Skip to about 1:45 to get to the part where he explains the stroke.

Yes mate, same link as in the original post.

Just on that, watching again Sneds does appear to recoil a bit at the end of his stroke. He doesn't mention it but certainly looks that way.

I recently read some instructional comments about putting by Stan Utley which could also be relevant to this topic.

He said he asks students to think of the best putter they know and do they have a long, medium or short follow-through? The overwhelming response? [b]Short.[/b]

I would definitely make that observation about Brandt & Rickie's strokes.

[quote name='Gava' timestamp='1442208852' post='12310248']
Yes mate, same link as in the original post.

Just on that, watching again Sneds does appear to recoil a bit at the end of his stroke. He doesn't mention it but certainly looks that way.
[/quote]

Oops, sorry. Just noticed you had posted it too.

I bet there aren't a lot of WRX'ers that have been to Perth. I was there in 2005 about 10 years ago. Beautiful area of the country. Anyways, again sorry about the double post.

[quote name='jtarble' timestamp='1441719974' post='12280382']
I think it mainly helps because it forces people to accentuate the "pop" - meaning accelerate thru the ball. [i]The one consistent feature of all great putting strokes is that they do not decelerate through the ball.[/i] This is just an extreme version of that.
[/quote]One of the biggest myths in golf.

For instance. . .

http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball

As a matter of fact, to me, the pop-stroke looks like an example of DECELLERATING.

in this video, Sned's doesn't specifically says "decel" but he talks about having a long backstroke and a short follow-through. It's pretty hard to do that when you're accelerating hard through the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5kuUcWYxwo

The guy people should watch putt is Greg Chalmers. He's not ALWAYS number 1 in stroke gained putting, but if you looked at his ranking over the last 5 or 6 years, he's probably higher ranked over that time than anyone else. He's always Top 5/Top 10 in strokes gained putting, 3 putt avoidance, etc.

Start flipping through the "Strokes Gained' years at the PGA site. You never have to scroll very far to find Chalmers, Freddie Jacobson, Snedeker.

Jacobson. . .tell me he's not decelling into the ball here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DViRqA6kXU

This is more about not accelerating AGGRESSIVELY through the ball. I know no one here is advocating that specifcially, but I know there are a lot of people out there who still think this way. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t2DQBkqllI

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green