Cabot Cliffs, Nova Scotia, Canada is a must play

kwcsportskwcsports Members Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just came back from a trip to Inverness. We played Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs. Both are beautiful and fun but Cabot Cliffs is off the charts. Breathtaking views from the ocean holes. It is a must visit for the avid golfer IMO.
WITB
Ping G10 Driver- Matrix White Tie
TM 200 Steel 3W- Kuro Kage
Cobra 7 wood- Kuro Kage
Lynx Parallax 4-SW- NS Pro 950GH
Ping Eye 2 SW- XP105
Nike VR Forged LW- XP105
Ray Cook Blue Goose

Comments

• cliffhangercliffhanger spruce grove albertaClubWRX Posts: 1,760 ClubWRX
    Some pics to show from both courses would be great. How about some info on why its so great. I mean what do you have to judge it against as being a must visit for the avid golfer? I am from Cape Breton ( Little Pond ) and i hear lots about these courses and have little or no info other than "its great" and "its a must play". I have played Bell Bay in Baddeck and Highland Links in Ingonish and both are very nice courses however i played Pebble Beach and the Links at Spanish Bay in Monterey California and they are not even in the same league as Pebble. Ive even heard that "The Cliffs" is the only true links course in North America as defined by the R&A... Well that doesn't make it great or a must play IMHO. I'd also like to rave about the Cabot Trail however since my trip to Monterey and going through 17 mile drive and coastal Hwy #1 from San Francisco to Santa Monica... well you have to see it to believe it. I would even go so far as saying Pebble is even further off the charts even though i haven't played the Cabot courses.

Driver: TM M6 (10.5 deg) with Project X Smoke 60X playing at 45 inches
    3Wood: TM M6 (14 deg) with Project X Smoke 70X playing at 43 inches
    2 iron: TM 790 UDI bent to 19 degrees with Project X HZRDUS 85 X (6.5) at 39.5 inches
    4-GW: TM P760 with KBS Tour X (all bent 2 deg flat) standard length
    Wedges: TM Hi-Toe 56/10 and 60/10 (all bent 2 deg flat) with 2.0 hi-rev shafts both standard lengths
    TM Mullen 2 TP putter @ 34 inches 
    TM TP 5 ball 

All grips 360 tour velvet burgundy with 1 extra wrap

Sun mountain 4.5 stand bag

• wrigleywrigley Members Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    kwcsports wrote:

Just came back from a trip to Inverness. We played Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs. Both are beautiful and fun but Cabot Cliffs is off the charts. Breathtaking views from the ocean holes. It is a must visit for the avid golfer IMO.

How were the greens? I heard that the Cliffs were really slow, understandable because they want the grass to grow. But the greens at he Links shouldn't be slow this time of year.
  • kwcsportskwcsports Members Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wrigley wrote:

kwcsports wrote:

How were the greens? I heard that the Cliffs were really slow, understandable because they want the grass to grow. But the greens at he Links shouldn't be slow this time of year.

Greens were slow. They said it will take some time with the new grasses to get them up to speed.
    WITB
    Ping G10 Driver- Matrix White Tie
    TM 200 Steel 3W- Kuro Kage
    Cobra 7 wood- Kuro Kage
    Lynx Parallax 4-SW- NS Pro 950GH
    Ping Eye 2 SW- XP105
    Nike VR Forged LW- XP105
    Ray Cook Blue Goose
  • 1lovesputters1lovesputters Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 8, 2015 #5
    We decided to remake the clambake...

For the critics, I wasn't that impressed with the shape of the Links, but the layout is stellar IMO. Really tough winter, so they are in trouble this year.

Regarding the Cliffs, it is beautiful, exciting, and a pinnacle of modern golf with a blend of Bandon Trails and Streamsong Red if they were built on 17 mile drive. It was just seeded 3 months ago, so the green speed shouldn't be judged at all.

Can't say enough good. Not really even one hole I thought was a concession.... All accomplished on a sub-7K yard course.

TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5 460 Tensei Blue CK Tour X
    TaylorMade 2018 M3 3 wood Fujikura 757 Evolution X
    Callaway Apex16 20,23,26 (AD-DI X)
    PXG 311T 6-9 KBS Tour Black
    PXG 311T 46, 50 Sugar Daddy Chrome KBS Tour Black
    Callaway MD2 Tour Vintage 56, 60 KBS Tour Black
    Toulon San Diego 34/355
  • 18underpar18underpar Members Posts: 11
    Played there beginning of August - greens were slow on both courses, but like previous comments, they had a rough winter and the Cliffs side is still maturing. The overall experience at Cabot was unreal though. Layout of both courses were great, accommodations were five star and the food was awesome too.

Views at the Cliffs course were incredible, seemed to be a pretty friendly course suitable for all levels of golfers. Can't wait to go back and play it again.
  • BEND OF THE RIVER GCBEND OF THE RIVER GC Charter Members Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am definitely going to make a little trip up to Nova Scotia next summer. I'll squeeze ina few more rounds in NH, ME and maybe RI as well.
    TM M1 Kurokage shaft
    TM RBZ 3 wood stock Ozik shaft
    TM R11 4 wood Fujikura Rombax 6X07
    TM RBZ with Oban Revenge shaft
    Ping G irons 4-UW
    Nike VR 56*
    Nike VR 60*
    Black Lab oil can 350g custom grind by Geo
    Ping 4 Under carry bag
  • av1084av1084 Gooner Members Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the easiest way to get there, for those that have gone?

No smart a$$ responses, please.
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Project X LZ 6.5
    TEE CB5 15 Oban Kiyoshi Gold 05
    Mizuno CLK 17 Fujikura Speeder HB X
    Ping i500 3i Modus 120S
    Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-P Modus 120S
    Mizuno T7 53/60 Modus 120S
    Edel E-2
  • cbbaroncbbaron Quincy MassMembers Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    av1084 wrote:

Think its a 12 hour ride from Boston. If you fly to NS I think airport is a couple hours away like Bandon
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- GW. Mizuno Hot Metal Pro Series Nippon Modus 120
    Sw Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    LW Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select Fastback 2
  • FSCMattFSCMatt Formerly the_matt5 Members Posts: 1,015 ✭✭
    av1084 wrote:

I'm not sure where you're located, but I know they have nonstop flights from Chicago to Halifax. Is assumes they have nonstop flights from other major cities. It's a 3 hour drive from Halifax to Inverness.
  • ChilidogChilidog Members Posts: 3,970 ✭✭
    They have a flight from Charlotte to Halifax. They'll pick you up there and bring you to the resort.
  • kalchkalch Members Posts: 22
    there really are not words to describe the views on these courses. Ive played pebble, Torrey Pines, yet these two courses have world class views better than those courses. Yes the greens were slow, and The Cliffs is still immature, but if Cabot Cliffs doesn't launch in the top 25 in the world, i'd be shocked, at least higher than links already does. The 16th on the Cliffs is unique, with views that are just ridonculous. The number of holes with ocean view is just stupid. They were still building the driving range, plus an 18 hole putting practice area.
    913 D2
    913 F 4 Wood
    G25 Hybrids 20/23/27
    i20 irons 6-U
    SM5 54/58 M grind
    Ghost Putter
  • av1084av1084 Gooner Members Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there no range there at the moment?

So consensus is just fly into Halifax?
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Project X LZ 6.5
    TEE CB5 15 Oban Kiyoshi Gold 05
    Mizuno CLK 17 Fujikura Speeder HB X
    Ping i500 3i Modus 120S
    Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-P Modus 120S
    Mizuno T7 53/60 Modus 120S
    Edel E-2
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes Halifax and then a 4 hour(?) drive. The scenery and drive through Cape Breton is spectacular. Add to that Highland Links one of the other top 10 in Canada and you have a spectacular golf vacation

People are commenting that the greens aren't really ready yet and will take time, but that should be the least of your worries.
  • 1lovesputters1lovesputters Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We booked a long time ago, direct from Toronto to Sydney (we were targeting playing Highland Links also - it used to be #1 in Canada). We got rerouted and had to take a connector through Halifax to Sydney. The extra leg wasn't something I enjoyed ;-)

http://www.highlandslinksgolf.com/

We didn't end up playing there; spent the whole time in Inverness. We heard after the fact that Highland was in stellar shape. I wish we'd got to play there also.
    TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5 460 Tensei Blue CK Tour X
    TaylorMade 2018 M3 3 wood Fujikura 757 Evolution X
    Callaway Apex16 20,23,26 (AD-DI X)
    PXG 311T 6-9 KBS Tour Black
    PXG 311T 46, 50 Sugar Daddy Chrome KBS Tour Black
    Callaway MD2 Tour Vintage 56, 60 KBS Tour Black
    Toulon San Diego 34/355
  • kalchkalch Members Posts: 22
    driving range down the road. honour system $10.

range open next year.

in canada, westjet and air canada do fly direct to sydney, at odd times...

throw in a jaunt to golf on PEI, and youve got an incredible long golf trip. with the US dollar so strong here, americans could go to the maritimes for a week long golf trip for about $2000 usd and golf everyday along the ocean and/or other great courses.
    913 D2
    913 F 4 Wood
    G25 Hybrids 20/23/27
    i20 irons 6-U
    SM5 54/58 M grind
    Ghost Putter
  • wrigleywrigley Members Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    The drive on the Cabot Trail from Highlands to Inverness is spectacular. It's comparable to the drive on PCH from Monteray to Santa Barbara.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file