2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

My Carl's Golfland Contest Fitting Experience (grab a drink)

rsh0308

Hi everybody, Rob here. This is going to be a long one, because I feel like a contest of this magnitude deserves a post with my thoughts about going through the process and I hope that as a normal guy who happened to be in the right thread at the right time, I can relay to everybody else what happened in GolfWRX fashion. So grab a beer and read on if you’re bored!

Contest link:

http://www.golfwrx.c...e-check-inside/

First things first, I need to thank GolfWRX, Carl’s Golfland, and everybody who made this trip possible. I had an amazing time on my trip to Detroit, meeting everybody, and of course getting on the Trackman and getting my first real fitting!

I’ve got to say, when I got a private message from ScreamingViking, I almost thought the message was fake. It wasn’t until Neal, VP of Carl’s Golfland called me that I really started getting amped up. :swoon:

So we set the trip up, and Neal was gracious enough to offer to also fly my wife out! I was going to just buy her a ticket because her cousins live in the area and she went to U of M nearby (barf) but Neal wouldn’t accept our plan. Instead, he booked us 2 first class tickets, and reserved our hotel for the night. Class act!

About me –

31 years old. 5’9”, 145 lbs (dripping wet).

Haven’t played enough rounds recently to really get into the groove. I’d consider myself an average golfer as I have friends that played HS golf and attempted college and I never did. Have never carried an official GHIN/USGA handicap since I don’t belong to a club and jump around to different public courses. Per my “Handicap Tracker” App on my phone, I’m hovering at a high single digit the past 2 years (8.8-10.2). I’m guessing if I had the time, I could work my way down to a mid-single if I really worked at it.

Sweeper/Picker type swing, mostly don’t get too large of a divot besides the wedges. High ball hitter. Miss is usually thin and off the toe. Biggest challenge is hitting fairways and thus hitting greens in regulation.

Been playing golf now for about 17 years? Got into the game when a friend of mine wanted to go to the driving range one day. I was a teenager and thought golf was for old stuffy folks (some would argue this was a correct assumption). Since that day, I’ve been hooked. Didn’t hurt that Tiger Woods had just won the Masters and was the coolest cat around. I caddied in high school and worked in a club bag room too; had those jobs for about 7 summers for high school and during college. Played a ton then and was at my best when I was about 20.

It’s my estimation that I’m somewhere between an S flex and X in most standard shafts, or so I’ve played the last 12 years (clearly as a WRXer, I’ve been flexing up). Last 5 drivers have been in an X-flex until my most recent. Always played S300 shafts in my irons until the current set.

My Current Bag:

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5 with Matrix Black Tie 7m3 S at neutral

Callaway X-Hot Pro 13.5w with Project X 6.5 Velocity Pro

Adams Super LS 17h with Kuro Kage S

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW with Project X PXi 6.0

Cobra Tour Trusty 48 with S200

Callaway 52 and 58 Forged Copper S300

Scotty Cameron Red X

On to the trip!

Day One:

Woke up early to get to the airport on time for the 9-something flight. Our flight was delayed by an hour and a half or so, and we landed in the early afternoon. My first fitting was supposed to be at 3pm, but Neal and Ryan kindly pushed it back to 3:30 so we could get checked in and then get to the shop.

Upon arrival, we were met by Neal and my fitter, Ryan, as well as ScreamingViking and Carl (his Golfland) and the rest of the shop staff. We chatted for a minute or two in the store, but quickly they told me to grab my bag and head to the LaunchPad!

For those who haven’t seen it, check out Carl’s Golfland website and click on fittings on the top, and then on the Launchpad link like 1/3 down. There’s a virtual tour. This place is so cool. It’s essentially a 4 garage-bay outdoor range, but each bay is fitted with trackman and has a heater, and chairs to relax in. The main hallway is fitted with walls of every club from major manufacturers and all the shafts out on the market. At one end is a lounge with a big screen LCD and leather couches to relax on. It’s like a club but at their shop.

Launchpad Hallway

The fitting (all premium balls by the way)

My fitter, Ryan, had me start off by warming up with some wedges, and we talked about my game, my misses, and obviously, what kind of clubs I’ve played. I’ve never seen a Trackman let alone get fit on one. I knew very little about my numbers. I’m kind of a “Bubba-ish” kind of guy I guess – I love golf, love watching golf, talking golf, but I’ve never taken a lesson and I like to just beat balls at the range until I’ve “figured it out”.

Irons:

We started with my 6 iron in order to get my baseline stats. Below are average of my first shots.

Club Speed: 91.1 mph

Smash: 1.35

Ball Speed: 122.9 mph

Launch angle: 15 deg

Spin: 5382

Carry: 179

Total: 189.5

My numbers kind of surprised me. I thought I’d be between 85-87 mph with a 6-iron. The carry number translated well with my on-course estimation.

This is all complicated by the fact that I know that Ryan is the reigning Michigan Amateur Champion, and that Carl's has A VIDEOGRAPHER here to document the fun. I'm only a little nervous at this juncture... :blind:

Ryan quickly got a sense of my swing and the kind of heads and shafts he was going to try out. I think he quickly had me pegged as a “players/GI iron” similar to the Cobra Amp Forged I’m playing. Over the next hour and a half, I hit a ton of shots with 6- and 7- irons.

Clubs we tried:

Titleist 714 AP2

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged

Ping Ie1

Epon AF-503 (the Cadillac as Ryan put it)

Srixon 745

The others:

Mizuno MP 25

TaylorMade RSI TP

Callaway Apex

Shafts:

C-Taper Lite X

Project X 6.5

Project X PXi 6.5

KBS Tour V X

Steelfiber i95 stiff

Modus 105 X

DG TI X100

DG TI S400

I was a little rusty starting out, was stiff from sitting at the airport all day (my excuse), so it was actually tough for me to figure out which club/shaft combos I actually liked.

Ryan saved the best ones and mapped them on the Trackman.

I couldn’t tell you which clubs I like best by feel, as many of these heads were similar. I liked the look of the Srixon best but put a few bad swings on it so the averages were down compared to the 850F and the AP2. We decided to keep those three for day-2 to decide on, but clearly Trackman thought the 850F with the C-taper lite X were bombers.

After my 2 hour session on Day 1, Ryan and I talked about what was to come, which was a ton. Getting the iron head selected, getting a shaft selected, and then working out the gaps in the wedges… and then hitting Driver, wood, and hybrid!?!? In 2 hours?

Wifey and I went to dinner, and I went back to the hotel and reviewed that day’s Trackman details, which Ryan emailed me.

Then, I started anticipating Day 2. Bad news. I woke up every hour. I tossed and turned. I went to the bathroom. I watched TV. I got horrible sleep. All I could think about was my C+ swing from that day, how I didn’t get to really give a couple of the combos a good shot because of how inconsistent I was. Then I started thinking about Drivers. Titleist (mmm mouth watering), TaylorMade (or is it Taylor ade), Callaway (Greatest Biggest Big Big…), Ping (Bubba-long), Nike and Cobra (yellow and orange are not really my colors)… etc. This went on for hours.

My pregnant wife was obviously amused and really happy that I kept waking her up with my constant fidgeting… :angry22:

Day 2:

9AM – Meet up with the staff and Neal takes us on a tour of Carl’s Golfland and gives us the history of the shop. It’s family owned, been in the same location forever, and is a really cool facility and business. It’s by far got the most clubs I’ve ever seen in a single shop. I work next to 2 big national golf box stores and Carl’s has them beat by a mile. They carry all the normal brands, as well as Srixon, Epon, and Miura in house! There’s the giant section of shoes, a rooms of apparel, and then a putter/used clubs section. I think they fit more stuff than a GG but into a smaller, friendlier space.

They also do all the online sales out of this location, and have a warehouse upstairs where they keep inventory and do hundreds of online shipments per day! Also on site were the corporate offices and IT and internet guys. Outside are the full outdoor grass and mat driving range, LaunchPad, a real putting green and sand/chipping area. They have several PGA Professionals that give lessons there too.

Very cool independent shop! I’d heard of Carl’s before but I can say that in my lifetime, it is by far the coolest golf store I’ve ever been to. And genuine golf fanatics too. I’d be willing to bet that the store sales guys all probably carry low-digit ‘caps and play competitive golf.

Zak from GolfWRX was there too, we chatted about my game and my bag, and he came to the bay to hang out a little while Ryan and I get started. My wife jets for the long day of shopping she’s about to have, and it’s party time!

Irons:

Finishing what we started the day before. Time to choose between the Srixon 745, Titleist AP2, and Mizuno 850 Forged. I’d have been happy with any of the three. Swing was better on day 2. I hit all of them a bunch and we settled on the Mizunos based off forgiveness and launch specs.

The Srixons are beautiful but a little less forgiving, and the AP2s were a little too high launch/spin for my swing (but were beauties too and if I were to have had any preconceived notions I’d have picked Titleist for the whole bag).

The old adage “hit the most forgiving iron you can stand to look at” was in full effect. To be honest, the 850F looked maybe a tad long heel-to-toe, but plenty thin on top for me, and I couldn’t argue with the results. It felt nice, it was straight, and it was pretty. Definitely not as soft as my old MP32, but clearly way more forgiving (I may be macho but I’ve given up on the blades and even players cavities).

The day before, we had pinned the C-Taper X as the boss, but Ryan wanted to try something a little lower-launching.

We put DG TI x100 and s400 in there, and were pretty happy with both. Ryan thought it would be safer to go a little softer as opposed to stiffer, so decision made. Who am I to argue with the Master Fitter and +one-million-handicap Michigan Amateur Champion?

Driver:

I hit a million drivers. Started with my own and hit some good ones. I heard Zak say to Ryan, “guy’s got some speed”, with a head nod in return, which I’ll take as a complement from a couple of really decorated collegiate and competitive golfers ;).

My current driver averages:

Club Speed: 104.8 mph

Smash: 1.44

Ball Speed: 151.4 mph

Launch angle: 9.5 deg

Spin: 2611

Carry: 239.4

Total: 270

Drivers I tried:

Titleist 915D3

Titleist 915D2

Ping G30 LS Tec

Ping G30 (I think)

TM R15

TM Aeroburner TP

Callaway Great Big Bertha

Shafts:

Graphite Design AD-DI 6 x and s

Graphite Design AD BB-6/7 x

Diamana B 60/70 x

Fujikura Speeder VC Tour Spec

Matrix Ozik White Tie

Aldila Rogue Silver

We only saved data from the Titleist and the Callaway since they were clearly the straightest and longest. See chart below. Some were clearly not good combos. Like the Ping G30 LS Tec was the first driver I tested since it’s a low spinner, and had it with I think the Fujikura Speeder VC Tour and I was literally hitting knuckle balls. Like 1000-1200 rpm. Didn’t like some right off the bat, but of note I did get the Aeroburner TP head/shaft combo up to almost 110 mph which is a little ridiculous for me. Ended up hitting the Titleist and Callaway a bunch back and forth with different shafts, including the AD-DI 6 and the BB.

As a guy who mostly plays “what’s good but affordable”, I’d never hit any of these shafts before. I’m playing the Black Tie 7m3 in my RFE because it came as a stock option and my last driver was a Cleveland Custom XL with a Black Tie 6m3 X and I liked the shaft. I’m not really an aftermarket shaft nut, but I’ll be darned if I didn’t say those Graphite Design shafts are my jam. I was pounding the DI and in the end the Callaway head gave me slightly better numbers and was a little more appealing to my eye than the Titleist (again, I would’ve thought Titleist all the way before hitting). Ryan basically told me to quit because we had found it.

3 Woods:

By now my memory is a little hazy. Lots of swinging, lots of numbers. This one was a no-brainer though. I hit a couple different 3 woods including Titleist, Ping, Callaway, and then I took 2 swings with the Aeroburner TP with white tie 70X4.

After 2 swings, Ryan was like “game over, that one wins”. I had to pause and be like, “no wait, I haven’t even gotten a feel for it” and proceeded to hit like 5 more. Dead. Straight. High (80+ feet). Long. Like 20 yards of carry longer than my 3 wood. Feels a little more dense (and crisp?) at impact than any of the others I hit. It just felt like it just compressed the ball and off it shot. It was so straight. Dustin don’t lie when it comes to Aeroburner TP.

Hybrids:

Hit the Titleist offering, the Taylormade, and a couple others. This one wasn’t about distance as much as straightness and gapping between my now bomber of a 3w and my 4-iron. Trackman had the 850F 4-iron carrying 205 with 220 total, so we were looking for about 215 carry. Came down to Titleist and TM again, with the TM winning out. The Titleist 19h was straight and stupid easy to get airborne – like too high. I was hitting it so high I was almost losing track of it above the roof of the hitting bay. I imagine it was similar to the ball flight of Rory’s 8-iron. We decided it was too high to be consistent in case of wind.

Goal 215 carry – TM: 215.9 yards :taunt:

Wedges:

Hit some more wedges, and decided on grinds. The PW with the Mizunos is 45 degrees, so we decided to gap 50/54/58 with M grind in the latter two. I have been using my 52 wedge from 115 and closer for as long as I can remember, with my 58 only in bunkers and for soft high shots near the green. We went with M-grinds to give that extra ability to open the face for high shots. Decided on the same shafts as the irons for consistency, TI S400. Didn’t look at any other wedges. Ryan didn’t offer. I didn’t ask.

Day 2

We did a quick SAM putting lab evaluation (putter was not included in this club package) and learned that I should have my putter bent 2* flat and also that I swing straight-to-in but compensate by leaving my putter face open. In short, my putting stroke is garbage. I would benefit from face-balanced.

Our flight home was delayed again but I didn’t care, I just had the best golfing weekend ever!

A picture of my celebration in First Class:

And here it is, the bag! My notes from Ryan (everything will be in Victory Green Cord grips).

Driver

Brand: Callaway

Model: Great Big Bertha

Shaft: Graphite Design Di 6

Setting: N,-1, Slide to all the way Fade

Flex: X

Loft:9*

Length: 45

Grip: Standard Size

Fairway

Brand: Taylormade

Model: Aero Burner TP

Shaft: Matrix Ozik White Tie 70X4

Loft: 15*

Length: 43.25

Hybrid

Brand: Taylormade

Model: Aero Burner TP Rescue #3

Shaft: Matrix Ozik White Tie HX4

Loft: 19*

Length: Standard

Irons

Brand: Mizuno

Model: JPX 850 Forged

Composition:4-Pw

Shaft:Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Flex: S400

Loft: Standard

Lie: 1* Flat

Wedges

Brand: Titleist

Model: Vokey SM5 Gold

Composition: 50.08F, 54.10M, 58.08 M

Shaft: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Flex: S400

Loft: 50,54,58

Lie: 2* Flat

Clubs are going to get sent to Carl’s and then they’ll do some of the tweaking and grips. Wish I could take a pic of them all in the bag, but I’ll post them when they come! Probably going to buy a new bag and putter from them to make it a complete set!

Thanks again to everybody at Carl’s Golfland, ScreamingViking and Zak from GolfWRX, and thanks to my wife for putting up with me for the past few weeks as I’ve been freaking out about this trip, and then listening to me talk nonstop about it for the past few days.

Cliff’s Notes slash my quick thoughts:

-Carl’s Golfland is super bad-a**. Coolest contest ever. They rolled out the red carpet. The shop is kind of my dream golf shop.

-Neal and Ryan are awesome guys. Sorry Ryan for putting you through 5 hours of misery in watching my B- swing.

-GolfWRX rules.

-I probably hit like 500 balls in 2 days. My hands hate me.

-I gained 10 yards (carry) with my driver and 20 yards with my 3w, gained a ton of height and ability to hold greens with a higher lofted hybrid (and lost 0 distance), just by doing nothing except getting fitted by a Trackman Master Fitter.

-My irons were almost already optimized, based on my comparison to the Mizunos. SS only off by 0.3 mph, ball speed 0.5 mph, similar launch angles, carry 2 yard difference. I’m hoping to have next to no adjustment time!

-My putting stinks. I knew that one already.

So, there you have it folks! My trip of a lifetime in one long slightly stream-of-conscious post. If you’ve made it, you’re either my family member or friend, or you must have been really bored. I bet you finished your beer already.

***** 9/17 *****

Link from Carl's to the video they put together!

http://youtu.be/XAZQ45OPiQk

***** 10/5 *****

THEY'RE HERE!

Heads still in plastic... I don't know if want to hit them or just stare at them. (Don't worry I'm going to play tomorrow!)

Boxes!

850 Forged and Titleist wedges

Green Victory Cords and DG TIS400 all around

All new setup with bag I picked up from Carl's

Thanks again everybody at Carl's Golfland and GolfWRX who helped make this happen!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome write up. Cool that you didn't have any preconceived notions and just took the best performing club for you. Also greatest wrx prize of all time. Congrats!

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
UW 17* Smoke 70s

Fli-Hi 19* Smoke 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

Great write up man. That place sounds awesome as does your fitting experience! Congrats on the new bag of toys, and more importantly, the understanding wife and your on-the-way baby.

And well done Carls. Way to hook up a WRXr the right way!

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Awesome write up! Carl's Golfland definitely lives up to this review. I will not go anywhere else for of my golf stuff. I really enjoyed reading about your experience!

Taylormade M5 w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
Taylormade M5 3w/5w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

This was a contest I really wanted to win. I've never been fitted by anyone and wanted to get fitted by some of the best in the business.

OP, you did a great review of your experience. Thanks for sharing. It couldn't have been done better by anyone else.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Very nice write-up! Such a cool contest and probably an even better experience.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='NYCgolfer17' timestamp='1442324222' post='12316080']
Great writeup...What a great contest!! Seems like the people of Detroit are lucky to have such a place as their local shop.
[/quote]

Agreed. Very unique place with all the bells and whistles for players of all abilities. Thanks again to everyone involved. :yes:

congrats, OP!

- Carls sounds awesome in person. Ive bought from them before. First question is why is such a golf Shangra-La in Detroit, where there is a 5 month golf season, yet nothing even close in Phoeinx where we play year round?

- Personally sad your amp forged got kicked from the bag. Mine are in the shop getting tweaked right now. Someone going to get a deal in BST?

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

[quote name='TravAz' timestamp='1442329868' post='12316536']
congrats, OP!

- Carls sounds awesome in person. Ive bought from them before. [b]First question is why is such a golf Shangra-La in Detroit, where there is a 5 month golf season[/b], yet nothing even close in Phoeinx where we play year round?

- Personally sad your amp forged got kicked from the bag. Mine are in the shop getting tweaked right now. Someone going to get a deal in BST?
[/quote]

I think that is why we are so golf crazy here, we only get to enjoy the game for a short time each year. You just can't play enough to take it for granted. Like right now I am starting to think about how many more weekends we might have to play!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll post some of the professional pics when they get emailed, and clearly I'll post my WITB when the sticks get here.

[quote name='RobS14526' timestamp='1442319107' post='12315702']
Kudo's to Carl's for picking up the tab (first class) for your wife! That is above and beyond what anyone could expect.

Great write up.
[/quote]

Clearly they didn't have to do it and they wouldn't take no for an answer! Also forgot to mention they wouldn't let me pay for our own dinner that night... What a bunch of Class-Acts!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

That was a great read! Sounds like an awesome time. Congrats again!

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Wow!! What a great experience for you to get to enjoy and come back and tell us about.

1st - Thank you to Carl’s Golfland for giving a GolfWRX'er an opportunity like this, but damn them for making it too easy on you (Not one, but two first class tickets, lodging, and what sounds like a great dinner too???? Get out of here :hunter:)

2nd - Thank you rsh0308 for the sharing this awesome write up on your experience.

3rd - Get all the sleep you can now, because once that baby comes all bets are off haha (My little girl just turned 4 a week ago)

And Cobra does even get a sniff in the testing fitting process? Whats up Carls.

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6